Synth Draft: QF1- Sjor Bepo vs EAP/RT

With players at their career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moby

Dick
TEAM SJOR BEPO

VS

TEAM EAP/RT

Sjor Bepo's Tactics

Squad so good i have both Pele and Maradona on the bench. Idea behind the team was to replicate Helenio Herrera Inter Milan team but with different player profiles so this isnt a proper replica. Team will play the same formation and philosophy but will be executed differently.
Short writeup so the game can be started as soon as possible, will go into details if needed in match thread.

Player Roles:

Rene Higuita - Goalkeeper

Horst Blankenburg - Sweeper
Jurgen Kohler - Stopper
Wim Rijsbergen - Defensive Fullback/Centerback
Leovegildo Junior - Playmaking Wingback

Frank Rijkaard - Defensive Midfielder
Eddie Gray - Hard-working Left/B2B Midfielder
Michel Platini - Complete All Action Midfielder
Michel - Right Midfielder
Jan Ceulemans - Inside Forward

Preben Elkjaer - Complete Striker

EAP/RT's Tactics

FORMATION:

Lopsided 4-3-3'ish....

DEFENCE:

David Seaman mans the goal. One of the top keepers of the 90s during his stint with Arsenal, he provides dependability and stability from the back.

Anton Ondrus is a Czechoslovakian legend who captained his team to the UEFA European Championship in 1976 and third place in 1980. His reading of the game and ability on the ball equipped him to initiate attacks from the back. His height and heading prowess also made him a dominant force in the air, as illustrated by his towering opener in the European Championship semi-final against Johann Cruyff’s Netherlands. The fairytale did not end there as Ondrus delivered another stellar display in the final against Beckanbauer’s West Germany, the reigning World and European champions. His leadership and nerveless penalty in the shootout after a two-all draw elevated Czechoslovakia to victory and the title of European Champions. Here's he has the perfect support to repreise his MotM role, wweeping at the back, shutting down balls that get past the side backs. Branco 1994 WC winner takes up the left flank providing a delicate balance between defence and attack.

Balu: "Ondrus, who was built like a tower and won every header possible and some impossible"

harrms: "I don't know what more can you want from him (Ondrus), really. The defence around him was a disaster, their right back regularly ran off to whenever he wanted to, his partners were dragged out of position by clever Netherland's movements, but somehow their attacks stopped at Ondrus again and again. And they weren't a defensive low-line team like Greece, they were quite an attacking team at that tournament and they left their defence without enough cover."

Karl-Heinz Forster and Giuseppe Bergomi complete the defense with their capability to play side-back. Two stand out stoppers who are capable of shutting down most opposition. Quick, physical and intelligent they'll step out to tackle knowing they have Ondrus sweeping behind.

MIDFIELD:

A flexible midfield with Toninho Cerezo playing the Volante (steering wheel) dictating the game from the deep. He's supported by Franz Roth "The Bull" due to his immense physical presence and looks was one of the best midfielders of his generation and a Bayern Munich legend. Flexible to play in the center or through the right, he has a knack of scoring in big games as evidenced by his crucial role of Bayern’s three consecutive European Cups, scored in 2 consecutive European cup finals. Michael Laudrup joins the team to complete the midfield trio. Playing his favourte Left/Centre midfield role, he'll run the game from the middle. Capable of moving to flanks with Branco overlapping or cutting in to middle and constantly swapping positions with Cruyff, they'll be the dynamic duo which will flummox most opponents.

ATTACK:

Joahnn Cruyff starts in his favourite left/centre attacking role, but he'll have a free role to wander and exploit spaces all over. With a flexible Laudrup behind him and Branco's overlapping, there is creativity galore in the wing. Roberto Bettega starts in his famous Right Attack/Support role, in which he excelled for Juve. His workrate and creativity along with ability to drop back and influence from deep will shore up the right flank and he has ample support from the capable wide midfielder Roth. George Weah leads the attack.

TACTICS:

The setup is designed to get the best out of the two best players in my team, Michael Laudrup and Johann Cruyff. Laudrup in a familiar role he played for the Dream Team. Moving up to middle with Cruyff peeling off left or drifting to the flanks and linking with Branco when Cruyff moves to middle. Quite flexible. Bettega in his familiar role on the attacking right that he excelled in for Juventus. His workrate and ability to stretch play will help animate my right wing.

Branco is a balanced fullback and though he has more attacking duties this match, he still will track back and does not need too much covering. Defensively all of Bergomi, Forster and Ondrus are a physical match for the Elkjaer. Ondrus having excelled against the likes of Cruyff during his Euro peak will eliminate all threats that get past Bergomi/Forster. When Platini drops deep, I have Cerezo covering him and when he moves up, Ondrus will step up and still have a solid defensive shape behind him.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
As i always say with Cruyff and Diego, im not a fan of pairing them with strong dominant players that prefer the main role, in this case Laudrup. One of them wont be at his peak IMO
Think edgar setup suits me to the tee, a lot of centrally oriented players where i will have a lot of numbers so there wont be much space in it.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Good luck @Šjor Bepo

As i always say with Cruyff and Diego, im not a fan of pairing them with strong dominant players that prefer the main role, in this case Laudrup. One of them wont be at his peak IMO
Not really. Cruyff is a free role player and can adapt into most formations. Laudrup has played with Stoichkov before and though not exactly the same type, I don't see any dynamics issues here. There is ample space in left/middle/attacking midfield for them to work together.

Think edgar setup suits me to the tee
not really. Cruyff vs Rijsbergen is the most obvious mismatch. With Laudrup's passing behind him, Cruyff's movement will not be covered by Rijsbergen and between him and Weah, I definitely see goals.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Platini - Ceulemans is a more interesting dynamic. I can see Ceulemans will operate advanced with Platini deeper...but the fact is both are central players. You are better served by a SS who can stretch the play, a la Kempes or even Bettega.

idmanager

Honestly feel its a lazy effort to reinvent Grande Inter.
Can't afford Platini and Ceulemans in the same lineup.
Not sure if Gray can play the Corso role. Corso wasn't a hard working B2B in that team. He was a player capable of drifting wide or provide outlets through the centre on counter.
Not sure how good Michel was defensively but he wasn't very fast to play the Jair role which is a huge piece in that jigsaw.
Probably Rijkaard can play the Luis Suarez role but a Bedin is missing ahead of the defense in that case.
Not to be clutching at straws, but a left footed wing back is much more preferred here especially if Gray is playing the Corso role, which the positioning and arrows show, you are trying to an extent.

Šjor Bepo

likewise :)

Not really. Cruyff is a free role player and can adapt into most formations. Laudrup has played with Stoichkov before and though not exactly the same type, I don't see any dynamics issues here. There is ample space in left/middle/attacking midfield for them to work together.
Cruyff will play the only way Cruyff know to play and needs to play, he will be the dominant figure and everything will go through him. IMO its irrelevant if you put him on the wing, as number 10 or as a SS, he will play the same way. Stoichkov was totally different, apart from the position on the pitch they dont really have much incommon.

not really. Cruyff vs Rijsbergen is the most obvious mismatch. With Laudrup's passing behind him, Cruyff's movement will not be covered by Rijsbergen and between him and Weah, I definitely see goals.
Of course its a mismatch, there isnt a player in football history that wouldnt be in a mismatch against Cruyff.
But the team is playing catenaccio, the plan is not to have Cruyff vs Rijsbergen on open spaces, team will stay compact very deep so in most cases it would be Cruyff getting the ball in tight areas not face towards goal, situations Rijsbergen lives for.

Platini - Ceulemans is a more interesting dynamic. I can see Ceulemans will operate advanced with Platini deeper...but the fact is both are central players. You are better served by a SS who can stretch the play, a la Kempes or even Bettega.
I have Elkjaer to stretch the play and Ceulemans can do it to a certain point but he is mainly(offensive wise) there to provide clever movement up front and goal threat.

Šjor Bepo

Not sure if Gray can play the Corso role. Corso wasn't a hard working B2B in that team. He was a player capable of drifting wide or provide outlets through the centre on counter.
Not sure how good Michel was defensively but he wasn't very fast to play the Jair role which is a huge piece in that jigsaw.
Probably Rijkaard can play the Luis Suarez role but a Bedin is missing ahead of the defense in that case.
Not to be clutching at straws, but a left footed wing back is much more preferred here especially if Gray is playing the Corso role, which the positioning and arrows show, you are trying to an extent.
the writeup really cant be shorter so why not read it?
Idea behind the team was to replicate Helenio Herrera Inter Milan team but with different player profiles so this isnt a proper replica. Team will play the same formation and philosophy but will be executed differently.

idmanager

I did read it. I agree it couldn't have been any shorter as you hardly mention any details. But in no world can Ceulemans and Platini fit in a Grande Inter setup.

Šjor Bepo

I did read it. I agree it couldn't have been any shorter as you hardly mention any details. But in no world can Ceulemans and Platini fit in a Grande Inter setup.
Write up is short because edgar can only play today and i was busy all day.....and i have no problems with you thinking Platini and Ceulemans dont fit it the setup, i have problems with drawing direct comparisons with players from Inter even though i said the philosophy will be executed differently as i didnt went nor want direct replicas in terms of player profiles.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Agree with this.

Would have been better to just avoid the whole Grande Inter comparison.

idmanager

Write up is short because edgar can only play today and i was busy all day.....and i have no problems with you thinking Platini and Ceulemans dont fit it the setup, i have problems with drawing direct comparisons with players from Inter even though i said the philosophy will be executed differently as i didnt went nor want direct replicas in terms of player profiles.
Your formation as a copy paste. You arrows are too. Having studied in detail in the past the formation and the roles and why they were that way, I am curious how differently you execute it with so many mismatches all over the pitch.

Šjor Bepo

Your formation as a copy paste. You arrows are too. Having studied in detail in the past the formation and the roles and why they were that way, I am curious how differently you execute it with so many mismatches all over the pitch.
please read again the quote i posted in my last reply....just because you play the same philosophy and same formation you dont necessarily need same player profiles and tactical roles for individuals.
Lets take Mane and Reus as examples as this is the first that popped my mind. Put Mane in that BVB team that reached CL final, he would have the same position in the team as Reus, in this simplified presentation of tactics he would have the same arrows as Reus, i believe he would be brilliant fit for the team just like Reus but when you look him and Reus they are nothing alike.

idmanager

please read again the quote i posted in my last reply....just because you play the same philosophy and same formation you dont necessarily need same player profiles and tactical roles for individuals.
Lets take Mane and Reus as examples as this is the first that popped my mind. Put Mane in that BVB team that reached CL final, he would have the same position in the team as Reus, in this simplified presentation of tactics he would have the same arrows as Reus, i believe he would be brilliant fit for the team just like Reus but when you look him and Reus they are nothing alike.
Not true. Grande Inter could afford Burgnich tucked in because Jair was super fast and could run up and down in a flash transforming in a moment from defense to attack and vice versa.
I can't see Michel doing that. If you don't want him to do that and 'execute' it your way, then it will leak goals irrespective of what you call it. Grande Inter or Grande Cappucino.

Šjor Bepo

Not sure if Gray can play the Corso role. Corso wasn't a hard working B2B in that team. He was a player capable of drifting wide or provide outlets through the centre on counter
You just described Gray.

For someone who studied Grande Inter into detail you would assume he knows that they had a right footed wingback....

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I'm not sure how with only one reinforcement but Edgar's team looks miles better this match. The sweeper set up makes the defence look alot stronger. Forster and Bergomi look particularly well-suited to flanking a sweeper, as opposed to the CB duo last match that looked (unfairly perhaps) a bit stopper-ish in the context of a draft with so many great ball-playing CBs. Branco looks better-protected this time. The right wing is a bit workmanlike gong forward, but Bettega did play that role for Juve and Roth will provide solid support so it's not completely barren by any stretch. The question mark, ironically, is actually the reinforcement. My gut instinct is that Laudrup and Cruyff would work very well together but I'm interested to see how the debate goes regarding that.

I need some time to think about Sjor's team. Formation graphic looks pleasingly crazy is about as far as I've gotten so far :lol:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
he will be the dominant figure and everything will go through him.
Fits Maradona or Di Stefano more than Cruyff. Laudrup's roles is not really different from what van Hanegem did from the deep. And Laudrup is a player who puts team first and will not sulk at not being main man. He was more an enabler exploiting spaces and his off the ball movements are the key differentiator. Not like he wants to be fed every ball.

I have Elkjaer to stretch the play
Elkj is your main man leading the line. You don't want him stretching the play. For all his strengths, he has never been a prolific goalscorer and having him stretch the play is a tactical error imo. Ceulemans should be the one doing it...but he'll just be Platini's way here.

Šjor Bepo

Fits Maradona or Di Stefano more than Cruyff. Laudrup's roles is not really different from what van Hanegem did from the deep. And Laudrup is a player who puts team first and will not sulk at not being main man.
we can that agree to disagree because for me Diego and Cruyff are the prime examples of players needing a team built around them, not because they were limited or something but because they had such a strong personality so that combined with their ability and you want them running the show from 0-90....Van Hanegem at least when was played with Cruyff was more "defensive" midfielder then a playmaker, again, nothing alike Laudrup.

Elkj is your main man leading the line. You don't want him stretching the play. For all his strengths, he has never been a prolific goalscorer and having him stretch the play is a tactical error imo. Ceulemans should be the one doing it...but he'll just be Platini's way here.
Thats the beauty of Elkjaer, he can do both. If not he wouldnt be that special....

idmanager

For someone who studied Grande Inter into detail you would assume he knows that they had a right footed wingback....
Haha, Fachetti was a brilliant crosser with his left foot. Do correct me if I am wrong. I don't think Junior was.

Šjor Bepo

Anyways, good luck folks and definitely would wait to read more tomorrow, @Šjor Bepo . No offense intended. Cheers!
dont worry mane, its just a game. Non taken, hopefully the same from your side :)
I really dont have problems with people thinking its a shit team, specially as im also not convinced it would work as good as im hoping it would but what annoys me a bit is people not reading or just glancing over the text, see comparison with a certain team and then go compare like for like even though thats not the case here.

Pat_Mustard

What am I missing here partner?

stretching the play - making the pitch big, wide and deep
Unless we're operating under very different definitions of stretching the play, that's exactly what Elkjaer does so well. Great off the ball movement, making dangerous runs off the shoulder or working the channels on either side, and going on rampaging dribbles from pretty much anywhere.

idmanager

dont worry mane, its just a game. Non taken, hopefully the same from your side :)
I really dont have problems with people thinking its a shit team, specially as im also not convinced it would work as good as im hoping it would but what annoys me a bit is people not reading or just glancing over the text, see comparison with a certain team and then go compare like for like even though thats not the case here.
Cheers. Will wait and read more.

Šjor Bepo

Haha, Fachetti was a brilliant crosser with his left foot. Do correct me if I am wrong. I don't think Junior was.
dont know tbh, only watched him few times but i do remember him spraying some lovely passes with his left....not sure about crosses though. Think Gray would mostly be the guy that is crossing from that side while Junior would be used more for his playmaking ability.

Here are all touch compilations for both, IMO they would make a great partnership.
Junior

Gray

Judging by your first comment you arent that familiar with Gray so this should help, playing pretty much the same way id want him here to play.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
ALERT CONSPIRACY - MATCH FIXING - 2 ZONA MISTA HERE

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I will comment your game later. Will watch some videos even if I can guess my vote

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
It's strange to pick Robson in the RR and not to use him.

Any videos about Ondrus, Risjbergen, roth & gray?

Šjor Bepo

It's strange to pick Robson in the RR and not to use him.

Any videos about Ondrus, Risjbergen, roth & gray?
two posts above you have one for Gray, here is for Rijsbergen:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
two posts above you have one for Gray, here is for Rijsbergen:
I knew you made some videos but am lazy tonight to search for. Thanks

Seaman blocks him, and in turn Edgar cock-blocked my planned second pick for no reason :(
Thanks for the answer. Humm, instead of picking a useless player, he could have picked

- Vogts/Kaltz
- Falcao to replace Cerezo and build something like that

------ Laudrup -------- Falcao
-------------- Roth (played in that role sometimes with Bayeern)

HOLY EAP

Indnyc

There is a lot of creative burden on Platini as I think Bergomi and Branco are favorites to win the battle against their respective wingers in Gray and Michel. I also think Gray is more suited in a slightly wider role but may likely adapt to the role he is playing here.

In Weah and Cryuff, @Edgar Allan Pillow has two lethal strikers and I don’t think @Šjor Bepo has that strong a defense to cope with it. Also I maybe wrong here but wasn’t Blankenburg known for being more attack minded than Picchi? Are you expecting him to bring the ball from the back?

It come down to how the tactics are actually executed but I would lean towards EAP for this one.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
What am I missing here partner?

Unless we're operating under very different definitions of stretching the play, that's exactly what Elkjaer does so well. Great off the ball movement, making dangerous runs off the shoulder or working the channels on either side, and going on rampaging dribbles from pretty much anywhere.
It was my opinion that Elkjaer was better off partnered with someone who can stretch play. He certainly can do that on his own. But I think the best combos might be something like...

If Elkjaer is streching play then another CF like Kempes would be optimal. If Elkjaer is leading the line, then a SS capable of oprating wider (a la Baggio) would be nice behind him. So there is space for Platini too.

Any videos about Ondrus, roth
Don't have skills to make videos, but here's a short one on Roth, where he's playing the right midfield role. You can see how attacking he is for a DM and is quite box-to-box. With Another hardworking player in Bettega ahead, they'll animate the wing.

Here's one where he's more defensive. His running both across right and left midfield plus defensive workrate can be seen.

Last edited:

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Seaman blocks him
Worse than that. I find he overlaps with 3 out of my defenders. Played with Branco (ffs) at Middlesburg, Viv Anderson and Seaman for England.

I was this close to dumping half my defence, picking a new keeper and fielding...

..Cruyff........Weah.....Bettega
...........Balakov...Robson......
...........Cerezo.....Roth........
Kh Forster....Ondrus.....Bergomi

Thankfully sanity prevailed and I picked Laudrup :lol:

Pat_Mustard

Worse than that. I find he overlaps with 3 out of my defenders. Played with Branco (ffs) at Middlesburg, Viv Anderson and Seaman for England.

I was this close to dumping half my defence, picking a new keeper and fielding...

..Cruyff........Weah.....Bettega
...........Balakov...Robson......
...........Cerezo.....Roth........
Kh Forster....Ondrus.....Bergomi

Thankfully sanity prevailed and I picked Laudrup :lol:
:lol: Aye, I knew about the Anderson block as well actually but never thought of Branco. I think you made the right call with keeping Robbo on the bench :D

Pat_Mustard

It was my opinion that Elkjaer was better off partnered with someone who can stretch play. He certainly can do that on his own. But I think the best combos might be something like...

If Elkjaer is streching play then another CF like Kempes would be optimal. If Elkjaer is leading the line, then a SS capable of oprating wider (a la Baggio) would be nice behind him. So there is space for Platini too.
This makes more sense to me. Although I believe Ceulemans did play out wide at times, and in this video he can be seen peeling off to the wings on occasion:

It doesn't seem like a particularly strong part of his game though in fairness.

Šjor Bepo

There is a lot of creative burden on Platini as I think Bergomi and Branco are favorites to win the battle against their respective wingers in Gray and Michel. I also think Gray is more suited in a slightly wider role but may likely adapt to the role he is playing here.

In Weah and Cryuff, @Edgar Allan Pillow has two lethal strikers and I don’t think @Šjor Bepo has that strong a defense to cope with it. Also I maybe wrong here but wasn’t Blankenburg known for being more attack minded than Picchi? Are you expecting him to bring the ball from the back?

It come down to how the tactics are actually executed but I would lean towards EAP for this one.
The problem with that is that you look at individual battles only, cruyff and weah both prefer space to use their pace(specially weah) but they are against deep congested defence which will make extremelly difficult for them to break it.
On the other hand gray specially will have a lot of space on the break and with Junior providing support(both running and distribution) i can see my left flank having a great game.
Think there is more then enough creativity in the team to support player like platini. Junior and michel from deep and gray/ceulemans in the final third.

Expect to defend for majority of the game so dont expect from blankenburg to go forward much but i dont mind it, great asset for counters and with rijkaard in front capable of dropping back i dont see any issues or risks.

Šjor Bepo

Congrats @Edgar Allan Pillow and good luck, dont screw up next upgrades as well :lol: But tbf you did well with robbo because id go there and with some classic setup the game would be close.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Congrats @Edgar Allan Pillow and good luck, dont screw up next upgrades as well :lol: But tbf you did well with robbo because id go there and with some classic setup the game would be close.
Thanks. And appreciate agreeing to an early match despite being busy.

I'm sure to goof up in next reinforcements too due to travel.

Last edited: