Synth Draft: R1 - green_smiley vs Pat_Mustard

With players at their career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
green_smiley

Pat_Mustard

green_smiley

Formation:
4-2-3-1

Shilton, one of the best keepers in this draft, behind two World Cup winners Scirea and Aldair. Scirea will play a more defensive role in this game, primarily responsible to keep a close eye on van Basten. His partner Aldair, elegant but strong centre-back, with technical refinement similar of a midfielder, he will have a lookout of threats from other opposition's forwards

Two attacking full-backs Briegel and Reuter will provide width for my team, both with great physical attribute, tenacity and delivery to roam up and down the flanks, allowing Kempes or Zola to cut inside depending on the direction of attack. Both Kempes and Zola are hard-working and dangerous forwards, them carrying the ball towards the opposition's box will often result in goals

The presence of Haan as holding midfielder will provide ease of mind in midfield, especially when Reuter moves up. Not only is Haan defensively astute, he is also a significant presence in possession from midfield, and capable of build-up from the back. Then we have the Eighth King of Rome, P.R. Falcao, unleashed as box-to-box midfielder, providing plenty of services to the forwards.

Giresse is given role as team's playmaker, one that earned him runner-up of Ballon d'Or award for his brilliant performance at club-level Bordeaux. He will be orchestrating the attacks, picking out forwards with his vision and passing, creating space of his teammates or even scoring himself. In front of him is Belanov, 1986 Ballon d'Or winner, a pacy and lethal striker capable of exploiting any space in the box and scores

Pat Mustard

We line up in a fairly straightforward 4-2-3-1 formation. Jose Luis Chilavert, three time winner of the IFFHS Goalkeeper of the Year award and sixth placed in their Goalkeeper of the Twentieth Century rankings, is one of the best goalkeepers in the pool. Composed ball-player Manolo Sanchis and the suffocating, highly physical stopper Guido Buchwald form a complementary centre back partnersip, flanked by the classy Maxime Bossis and Soviet flying machine Bezsonov, who will combine with Waddle to form a dangerous right wing.

Clodoaldo, uncommonly gifted technically for a holding midfielder, partners the box to box powerhouse Paul Breitner in central midfield. The mobile, elegant and hard-working Liam Brady gets a deserved draft outing in attacking midfield. The wide players will likely be slightly lopsided, with Rensenbrink appearing more in the attacking line with van Basten and threatening in behind with his excellent movement and jet-heeled speed. Waddle will tend to operate slightly deeper, linking with the midfield and his full back Bezsonov. The crown jewel of the team is Marco van Basten, one of the very greatest centre forwards ever and rivalled only by Romario in this pool. He'll be in his element here with service from the likes of Rensenbrink, Breitner, Waddle and Brady, and he looks as likely a match-winner as anyone on the pitch.

Green Smiley has drafted well and while I guess that he'll play with Zola as a false 9, he has other options including a 5-3-2, so I'll reserve most of my critique of his set up for the match thread. I will say that while Scirea is the standout defender on the pitch, I'm not entirely sold on Aldair as an ideal foil for him. Van Basten has a significant height advantage on both of them and is better in the air, and with Waddle's superb crossing that looks a promising route to goal.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Two videos I made of my right winger Chris Waddle to get the ball rolling. The first is an all touches compilation of his superb performance against West Germany in the 1990 WC semi final:

This one should have been an all touches effort as well but it was a fairly dour match and I lost heart midway through so I've just included Waddle's goal and one or two other choice bits. That's none other than Baresi who he takes the piss out of with that flick, and Maldini who was desperately trying to block his shot for the goal.

And finally, not my own but a great compilation of Waddle showcasing his outstanding dribbling and proficiency with both feet:

He struck up a great partnership with Papin at Marseille, and I see no reason why a link up here with van Basten would be any less fruitful.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@Pat_Mustard What's your youtube name? For some reason I can't see two of your videos (problem my end I think) so will check out directly on YouTube.

green_smiley

:lol:
Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Good luck @Pat_Mustard

I think that despite Waddle-Bezsonov quality, they are relatively unknown as compared to Briegel-Kempes who received more praise due to their winning performance at international level. On paper, my pair looks stronger that Pat, but Pat will try his best to counter that argument :)

I think Pat's centre-backs are 1-2 tier below, but other than that, I don't have anything bad to say about his team. I like his midfield whom I believe mine is more than a match. Of course, Pat's main man is MvB, and it is debatable on who will come out on top: Scirea or MvB?

Moby

Dick
Two incredible teams and I had to split them by the width of a hair.

To Pat's credit: that's an absolutely fantastic front 6. Enormous amount of synergy, diversity, clear cut well defined roles and above all, a brilliant platform for Marco to shine. The midfield looks excellent on both sides of the pitch and I'm happy to see Brady getting a gig, in a central role no less. The wide men look set to mash in with the midfield and provide the required flair and directness. It's a hard one to look past.

For gs, would love to have a better picture on how the front four are supposed to function as on first look there seems to be a bit of overlap and I am kind of on the edge regarding Zola in a wide role.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@green_smiley Do you have any vids of Belanov? Also do you think Zola has the mobility to play that wide forward role?

This is difficult as you have a great striker vs a great defender and a lesser known striker vs lesser known defenders

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
I think Zola will be fine here, he's not playing as an out and out winger and will get into central positions and he has Reuter bombing down the wing to provide width.

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!

To Pat's credit: that's an absolutely fantastic front 6. Enormous amount of synergy, diversity, clear cut well defined roles and above all, a brilliant platform for Marco to shine. The midfield looks excellent on both sides of the pitch and I'm happy to see Brady getting a gig, in a central role no less. The wide men look set to mash in with the midfield and provide the required flair and directness. It's a hard one to look past.

For gs, would love to have a better picture on how the front four are supposed to function as on first look there seems to be a bit of overlap and I am kind of on the edge regarding Zola in a wide role.
Zola operates at the right, but he will mostly cut inside with his dribbling ability and speed

Kempes = left inside-forward
Giresse = attacking midfielder/playmaker
Belanov = striker

Pat_Mustard

Good luck @Pat_Mustard

I think that despite Waddle-Bezsonov quality, they are relatively unknown as compared to Briegel-Kempes who received more praise due to their winning performance at international level. On paper, my pair looks stronger that Pat, but Pat will try his best to counter that argument :)

I think Pat's centre-backs are 1-2 tier below, but other than that, I don't have anything bad to say about his team. I like his midfield whom I believe mine is more than a match. Of course, Pat's main man is MvB, and it is debatable on who will come out on top: Scirea or MvB?
Good luck to you too mate. I've pretty much shot my load with Waddle stuff for now, and I rate Kempes really highly so I don't have much to attack you on there :lol:. As for Briegel/Bezsonov, I think they're both quite highly rated among our draft community.

As regards the centre backs, Scirea is of course the huge standout, but I really don't see Aldair being better than either of my two. I mentioned it on my OP, but in terms of stylistic fit I think a more aggressive and physically robust CB partner would have been the better fit for Scirea. Van Basten is significantly taller than both Scirea and Aldair and was a tremendous header of the ball. With the quality of delivery I have from wide areas I think you could have trouble containing that aspect of his game.

Cheers mate. I'm very happy with the balance of my attack myself, and I'm well overdue picking Brady in one of these drafts.

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!
Good luck to you too mate. I've pretty much shot my load with Waddle stuff for now, and I rate Kempes really highly so I don't have much to attack you on there :lol:. As for Briegel/Bezsonov, I think they're both quite highly rated among our draft community.

As regards the centre backs, Scirea is of course the huge standout, but I really don't see Aldair being better than either of my two. I mentioned it on my OP, but in terms of stylistic fit I think a more aggressive and physically robust CB partner would have been the better fit for Scirea. Van Basten is significantly taller than both Scirea and Aldair and was a tremendous header of the ball. With the quality of delivery I have from wide areas I think you could have trouble containing that aspect of his game.
Ideally someone like Ruggeri would be perfect fit (and not clash with Kempes either!) but Physiocrat broke my heart :mad:

But Aldair himself is a balanced defender. He is not an aggresive type, but he is strong enough to withstand a physical challenge at any given time. He is also great at the ball, which I think is equally important given the fact that Scirea has most of his focus on MvB himself, and I need another defender like Aldair that can build up play from the back

Pat_Mustard

Ideally someone like Ruggeri would be perfect fit (and not clash with Kempes either!) but Physiocrat broke my heart :mad:

But Aldair himself is a balanced defender. He is not an aggresive type, but he is strong enough to withstand a physical challenge at any given time. He is also great at the ball, which I think is equally important given the fact that Scirea has most of his focus on MvB himself, and I need another defender like Aldair that can build up play from the back
You and me both :lol:. I had a picture of Ruggeri ready and the list filled in, then I opened another tab to see that Physio had picked him rght before my turn.

On Belanov I had him pegged as more of a second striker type of player but I've never looked at him in detail. His goal record is a bit underwhelming for a No. 9 tbh, with 14 goals in all competitions being his best return at club level according to Wiki. Maybe @harms could weigh in on how he fits here.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
You and me both :lol:. I had a picture of Ruggeri ready and the list filled in, then I opened another tab to see that Physio had picked him rght before my turn.
:lol::devil:

TBF I was, and I think everyone, was screwed at least once in this draft.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
On Belanov I had him pegged as more of a second striker type of player but I've never looked at him in detail. His goal record is a bit underwhelming for a No. 9 tbh, with 14 goals in all competitions being his best return at club level according to Wiki. Maybe @harms could weigh in on how he fits here.
Yeah. I'd say that he is fairly similar to Kempes here, and I'm not sold on their partnership to be honest.

harms

Staff
Maybe it makes sense for :lol: to set-up as 4-2-2-2? Giresse and Falcao are proven in those formations, Zola will be a great Platini successor and Kempes/Belanov will roam all over

Enigma_87

You know who
@Pat_Mustard 's team is one of my favorites from what I saw from the drafting process.

Excellent flanks and solid midfield, spearheaded by MvB.

Pity Sosa couldn't get a run in, but I can understand Waddle's inclusion.

Pretty good effort and tactically spot on. Can't fault either choice, but I do agree Aldair/Scirea is a bit of uncomplimentary pairing.

Yeah. I'd say that he is fairly similar to Kempes here, and I'm not sold on their partnership to be honest.
He did pretty good with Blokhin tho, who is similar to Kempes(in terms of role not player).

I'm not a big fan of Belanov as a whole tbh. He has a bit of Cavani in him and tends to miss a lot of chances.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
2 fantastic sides, having trouble separating them tbh....if we could combine pat front three with smiley defence(any midfield of the two) we would have a draft winner there.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Maybe it makes sense for :lol: to set-up as 4-2-2-2? Giresse and Falcao are proven in those formations, Zola will be a great Platini successor and Kempes/Belanov will roam all over
I understand the reasoning of @green_smiley who opted for Kempes Version Argentina 1978.

Given the squad, Kempes (pichichi 77 &78) version Valencia so something like that could have been another option.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG

He is described as a striker, second striker, attacking midfielder... I can't give a proper personal opinion about the player

I've read that USSR 86 was something like that

----------------------------DASAEV----------------------------
--BESSONOV--KUZNETSOV--YAREMCHUK--DEMYANENKO-------------
----------------BAL-----ALEINIKOV----RATS---------------------
-------------YAKOVENKO--------ZAVAROV-----------------------
---------------------------BELANOV----------------------------

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Class teams, really like the way both teams are set up. Will be difficult to make a choice..

green_smiley

Supports
#Justice4Wang!
2 fantastic sides, having trouble separating them tbh....if we could combine pat front three with smiley defence(any midfield of the two) we would have a draft winner there.
Kempes is final-worthy and I wouldn't swap him for Rensenbrink

Both Zola and Waddle should be upgraded when there is a chance

MvB is one of the best strikers of all time, no denying that

harms

Staff
He did pretty good with Blokhin tho, who is similar to Kempes(in terms of role not player).
It was an older version of Blokhin, who was at the time a completely different player, more withdrawn with playmaking duties. But yeah, as I said, I can buy Belanov in a front 2 with Kempes in a dynamic counter-attacking set up.

Strange player in terms of how to rate him. I think it's fair to say that he is probably the weakest player to won Ballon D'Or, but at the same time we shouldn't overlook the fact that he still won it. He's had great pace and a fantastic shot on him, but not much else, really.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Wonder why Pat didn't go

.Brady.....Breitner.
.....Clodoaldo......

Better representation of Breitner imo.

And on Breitner's role, some research I did before put him on the left of midfield. (like Junior perhaps) though he did link with Kalle on the right. If that was the case, then maybe he overlaps with Brady.

Pat_Mustard

Wonder why Pat didn't go

.Brady.....Breitner.
.....Clodoaldo......

Better representation of Breitner imo.

And on Breitner's role, some research I did before put him on the left of midfield. (like Junior perhaps) though he did link with Kalle on the right. If that was the case, then maybe he overlaps with Brady.
I did consider setting the midfield up like that actually, but I thought having Waddle and Brady in the same line, with Rensenbrink staggered in front a little, was more accurate, with Breitner on average dropping a little deeper than Brady and Waddle. As far as I can tell Breitner didn't really have a favoured side. He was truly all over the pitch, even as a left back, never mind as a box to box midfielder. In this all touches video he appears on both sides but fires in several crosses from the right wing:

and here's an example of his great link up with Rummenigge, with Breitner starting the move off from deep on the right wing then popping up in the penalty area:

I think that addresses much of any potential overlap with Brady, but I'd also point out that Breitner seemed to play very effectively with Gunter Netzer at Real when he had settled into a midfield role, so playing behind a dedicated No. 10 won't be alien to him.

Pat_Mustard

I'm not a big fan of Belanov as a whole tbh. He has a bit of Cavani in him and tends to miss a lot of chances.
He is described as a striker, second striker, attacking midfielder... I can't give a proper personal opinion about the player

I've read that USSR 86 was something like that

----------------------------DASAEV----------------------------
--BESSONOV--KUZNETSOV--YAREMCHUK--DEMYANENKO-------------
----------------BAL-----ALEINIKOV----RATS---------------------
-------------YAKOVENKO--------ZAVAROV-----------------------
---------------------------BELANOV----------------------------
Cheers for the input lads. I'm really not that familiar with him bar some highlights from WC '86.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I think Belanov - with his energy, pressing and running ability - and Giresse - with his adaptability and glue-like presence - could make the GS attack work. All four front-men do typically tend to occupy the same central-ish areas, but there are a couple of personalities in there that could gel it together.

Quite a tough one to split IMO.

Pat_Mustard

Congrats @Pat_Mustard

Hope you win it all the way
Thanks mate. That was a harsh scoreline that doesn't really reflect how good your team is. That midfield match up between Clodoaldo/Breitner/Brady and Haan/Falcao/Giresse would have been immense and highly competitive. Good to see players on both sides like Brady/Waddle/Zola/Belanov attract some discussion too.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Good game. I would have love a different presentation of GS team.

------------ Kempes ---- Belanov
------------------ Zola
----------- Falcao ----- Giresse
-------------------- Haan

or as written in a previous post

---------------Kempes ---- Belanov
------ Zola/Giresse ---------------Zola/Giresse
------------------ Falcao--- Haan

The teamsheet is misleading in the sense that Kempes & Zola weren't pure "wing-forward"