Synth Draft: R1 - Raees vs Moby

With players at their career peak, who would win?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Raees

Moby

Raees

Formation: 4-2-2-2 (overlapping wing-backs providing width)
Key tactical ploys:

1. Passarella in a more defensive role, only going forwards if both Cabrini and Ancellotti are dropping back for cover.
  2. All rounders... Ancellotti and Neeskens combining screening and deep-lying playmaking and box to box duties. Carlo will be slightly more defence minded, but in essence both are going to be very disciplined and deployed as all rounders looking to keep space limited in front of the defence.
  3. Deyna drops deeper, Dobrin with licence to kill... very similar to say how De Bruyne and Silva combine in midfield, with one operating closer to the centre midfielders and dictating the play from midfield and the other closer to the forwards looking for goals and killer passes. They will alternate, but predominantly Dobrin with a free role closer to the two forwards.
  4. Voller replicating his relationship with Klinsmann (Papin) Voller is an incredibly industrious all round forward, capable of playing as a second striker at the highest level and he will be in his element in this side which is full of movement/interplay and strong in midfield/defence. He can help provide width and the cutting edge to play just in and around the box, forging a lethal relationship with the french ballon d'or winning goalscoring assassin that is Papin.
  5. Industrious flying wing-backs - Bonhof was excellent in wide areas, with great speed, tenacity and delivery as his multiple assists in euros and his assist in world cup final demonstrate. He was a world class midfielder first and foremost but he has played as a CB in European cup finals, as well as right back. Cabrini is a monster at left back and one of the finest full backs of all time and the predecessor to Maldini.. he will be diligent in both attack and defence and is used to being a one man flank for both club and country.
Thoughts on the Game

• Passarella can do a job on Tostao, as he is the type of forward who lacks top tier pace but will try and drop deep and interchange with Zico, there is no penetrative forward in the side and from what I have seen of his wingers, they are more orthodox wingers, not necessarily wing-forwards so I would question the penetrative ability and cohesion of the attack.
  • Midfield battle will be interesting, his is top notch but in Deyna and Neeskens, we have two all time greats too and it will be a 4 v 3 battle, with better support in possession from my full backs (Bonhof and Cabrini superior to Pearce & co). I can see us dominating the game, with him struggling to keep Deyna and Dobrin from running the show.
  • Papin and Voller are the type of strikers who can hound defenders, and whilst McGrath is top class.. it isn't a battle he can just try and utilise his physical tenacity to win. In fact even if his reading of the game is top class, Papin and Voller are battlers and even if he wins the battle 9 times out of 10, they're ruthless in front of goal and can put it in the back of the net.
Moby

We will play the 4-2-3-1 formation. Claudio Taffarel is the goalkeeper. The central defense comprises of the brilliant all round presence of Paul McGrath coupled with the underrated yet defensively as solid as they come in Riccardo Ferri. McGrath would be the leader of the defense, marshalling it and taking care of the most dangerous threat of the opposition while Ferri constantly covers him and provides the no nonsense defense. Flanking them are two defensively rock solid defenders in Sensini and Stuart 'Psycho' Pearce. There's constantly stay compact and form a watertight unit. In McGrath and Pearce there's great passing and outball from the back.

The midfield comprises of one of the greatest CMs ever in Graeme Souness, as good as they come in this time period and one who dominated England and Europe as Liverpool's central figure. Partnering him is the insanely talented and hard working Soren Lerby. Souness' tight defense, strong mentality and tactical astuteness is the perfect foil for the all action Lerby to take the battle in his hands and provide his presence both in defense and attack. Both these midfielders provide an excellent shield to the defense and impactful passing and running with the ball going forward.

On the flanks, we have two excellent wingers in Paulo Futre and René Houseman. Two outstanding dribblers, who with their pace and ability to turn on a dime and leave defenders for dead would be vital in providing our attack with ammo down the flanks. Both were good passers and crossers of the balls. They were equally comfortable cutting in and getting involved in the build-up play as they were drifting out wide and beating the opposition full-back to provide the width, and definitely not shy of darting towards the goal and getting goals for themselves.

At the heart of the team is, Zico. Playing in a free-role behind the striker, Zico has been given the license to roam all around the final third and link-up with others. Futre and Houseman can provide him with service and link-up from the flanks along with the full-backs while the midfield can get him the ball in and near the final third where he would get the chance to run at opposition defenders. He would be provided with adequate service to do his magic in the attacking third. Also important to mention that the wide players and the front two pack an enormous amount of skill and trickery allowing Zico a lot of opportunities to get behind the dead ball from deadly situations, and given he's one of the greatest at hitting them into the net that would definitely be a great weapon for us.

Up front, we have Tostao. It is well known that Tostao formed one of the greatest partnerships up front seen in the World Cups with Pelé in 1970, providing the perfect foil in terms of skill, link up, ability to drop deep and release him, and provide elite finishing himself with the service from the great man. Here, he has the White Pele to do the same and we expect him to form a perfectly natural Samba partnership up front with both being perfectly capable of scoring or creating for the other.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Probably for the best.. wait till tomorrow and hopefully get some more interest.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I like both duos: Tostao/Zico and Papin/Voller.

Team Moby is straight-forward:

- Strategy built around Zico
- Pure wingers who generally don't rely on fullbacks
- Conservative full-backs even if Pearce could be offensive if required
- Strong intented defensive support

Team Raees is more ingenious:

- a 4-4-2 that requires very offensive full-backs to bring width
- Good to see players like Ancelotti and Butcher getting their chance

A team that relies on his dynamic trio Futre-Zico-Houseman aimed at stretching the opposing team versus one offering a very compact midfield.

idmanager

I remember watching that brilliant video of Futre, Moby posted. Think he is way more effective from the right than the left.
Great midfield though, probably one of the best in the draft.

Raees should hope someone doesn't come up with the Passarella can't work with an attacking left back crap without reading the write up.
But I do feel Bonhof is wasted there instead in the midfield sitting on Zico. Even 4 vs 3, Moby's midfield looks the stronger and more balanced.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
We are experiencing two concepts simultaneously: no discussions between the managers and no polls.

Moby

Dick
:lol: Couldn't have chosen a worse time to get this going given the matches lined up. Don't expect much activity whatsoever.

Surprised not to see Amoros on the pitch, was expecting him to start as the right wing back. As far as I know Bonhof was a wide midfielder at best and not one who would constantly maraud up and down a flank providing genuine width like a wingback would. Given how much the team needs wingbacks to provide width that seems to be an issue.

Combine that with the fact that I've picked two absolute tricksters who would constantly bombard those flanks with electric pace and intent, it would definitely pin those fullbacks back and further compound the problem. Not to mention that in 1v1s I'd constantly back my wingers to get past their man and they ofter had 2-3 players defending their runs, in which case any support coming from midfield would simply allow none other than Zico ample space to completely go for the kill.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
:lol: Couldn't have chosen a worse time to get this going given the matches lined up. Don't expect much activity whatsoever.

Surprised not to see Amoros on the pitch, was expecting him to start as the right wing back. As far as I know Bonhof was a wide midfielder at best and not one who would constantly maraud up and down a flank providing genuine width like a wingback would. Given how much the team needs wingbacks to provide width that seems to be an issue.

Combine that with the fact that I've picked two absolute tricksters who would constantly bombard those flanks with electric pace and intent, it would definitely pin those fullbacks back and further compound the problem. Not to mention that in 1v1s I'd constantly back my wingers to get past their man and they ofter had 2-3 players defending their runs, in which case any support coming from midfield would simply allow none other than Zico ample space to completely go for the kill.
I've read that Bonhof could play as a wing-back.

I'm more surprised by the role of Deyna.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
The lack of comments is the outcome of a game played on Sunday but I'm sure a draft with current players would generate much more interest.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
there is a reason why we dont play games on weekends....
Now watching the teams, i cant really asses raees team as im not that familiar with Deyna/Dobrin duo and they are crucial tactically. Other parts of the team are ok, lovely partnership up front and in the middle.
Moby has a good team as well, that middle of the pitch looks fantastic with Zico/Tostao and Souness Lerby behind. Only thing missing is one proper IF from the wing....leaning towards moby but doesnt feel right to vote as i cant asses raees team properly.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Go 352 and sub in Amoros augenthaler and push Bonhof into midfield and put Dobrin off Butragueno or 4321
What do you think?

-------- Voller ----- Papin
---- Bonhof------- Neeskens
------------ Deyna
Cabrini------------------- Amoros
----- Passarella ----- Butcher
--------- Augenthaler

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
What do you think?

-------- Voller ----- Papin
---- Bonhof------- Neeskens
------------ Deyna
Cabrini------------------- Amoros
----- Passarella ----- Butcher
--------- Augenthaler
My issue was picking Papin instead of Careca.. he blocked Amoros and all my side got messed up.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
My issue was picking Papin instead of Careca.. he blocked Amoros and all my side got messed up.
I had the same experience in a previous draft: kaka playing with xabi alonso...

Amoros was your pick #3 so it's obvious everything didn't go as planned.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Fancy Zico and Futre to have a good game here. Not sure if the Bonhof/Butcher axis is well suited to handling the trickery and nimbleness of that pair. That said, the overall creative package of Deyna and Dobrin should serve something straightforward up for Papin.

Enigma_87

You know who
Very strong spine from @Moby If he manages to improve on his full backs IMO he's one of the favorites for the whole thing.

I particularly like the CB combo and the Zico/Tostao chemistry up front, whilst having plenty of grit with Lerby and Souness.

For Raees, think the lack of Amoros did it for him, as with him his gameplan would be a whole lot better, considering his front 4.