Tactical analysis of Ronaldo leading Man City forward line....

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Actually interested how it's all going to work now it seems all but done judging by Romano tweets.

Seems a very un Guardiola like signing despite him remaining one of the greatest around on numbers.

Anyone seeing him for Juve last season will know he's declining a fair bit in general play and it was more Chiesa getting really hot for last 5-6 games that dragged Juve into 4th. Ronaldo being subbed as soon as they went down to 10 men v Inter Milan said it all.

Less pressing in final third for Man. City now compared to last few seasons and will mean they'll have to put more defensive minded midfields out to compensate so get the feeling it leaves their overall 11 a fair bit more weaker even if his numbers should remain strong with all the chances they create.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
I wasn't too nervous about them signing Kane, as I don't think he really suits them. And I think Ronnie suits them even less. He may score loads of goals, but I think he'll negatively impact their tactical style. And he definitely won't accept anything other than playing every match he's fit to play.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
He just needs to be managed properly and they'll get the best out of him. One of his best seasons was 17-18 because Zidane was conscious of the need to not overplay him and to keep him fresh for the big games and with City's depth they are more than capable of facilitating this, he's going to be a nightmare in a City shirt.

Bale Bale Bale

Supports
Spurs
I wasn't too nervous about them signing Kane, as I don't think he really suits them. And I think Ronnie suits them even less. He may score loads of goals, but I think he'll negatively impact their tactical style. And he definitely won't accept anything other than playing every match he's fit to play.
Out of interest, what striker would suit them?

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Out of interest, what striker would suit them?
I think Felix would be ideal for them. Or a typical #9 who isn't too much of a star (i.e. Lewa) that he has to play all the time just so they have tactical flexibility.

InfiniteBoredom

Didn’t he asked to be on the bench for a fair few league games during his last 2 years at Madrid, to condition himself for CL run in?

He knows his shot at Balon D’Or rests on winning the CL, so I can’t see him burning himself out against Burnley or whoever only to run out of steam come March.

Zoo

He’ll play the Sterling role but with a lot better finishing. He’ll be on the end of their moves, particularly their classic ball down the inside channel then squared across.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
It sounds ridiculously obvious, but it's all dependent on his ability to put up the numbers in the big games.

They batter the lower teams for fun anyway, so Ronaldo banging 30 goals against Burnley and Norwich etc adds little value and simply takes the onus off their 62 midfielders.

If he can't translate it into big goals to secure the points against Liverpool, Chelsea, United etc then City aren't going to be much better off on the pitch.

Commercial value will be ridiculous however. They've ticked a box with Grealish and his cult following (i.e. the boohoo loving 35 year old woman), but Ronaldo is on another planet and just drags 250m eyes on Social Media and will sell shirts and merch for fun.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
They do lots of cutbacks, he has a superhuman ability to predict where a cutback is headed. Also can get on the end of KDB or Walker's crosses. Will make them much more dangerous against ole's successful approach-more variety and more menace in the box.

This makes sense as an RvP type signing for Pep, he needs to deliver a CL. KdB has never managed to light up the CL on his own, and Ronaldo hasn't managed it for 3 years now. I think, if he's in form, only Liverpool can cope with them and only PSG can out-gun them.

Oaencha

It will quite simply never happen. Not only will he never go to another Manchester club, it just won’t work. He’s a goal machine but won’t work while Guardiola prefers a false nine.

Bastian

Supports
Mejbri
Didn’t he asked to be on the bench for a fair few league games during his last 2 years at Madrid, to condition himself for CL run in?

He knows his shot at Balon D’Or rests on winning the CL, so I can’t see him burning himself out against Burnley or whoever only to run out of steam come March.
I wasn't aware of that. I would have expected him to want to play against all the relegation fodder to keep smashing the goal scoring records. But if he's fine with playing less, it's a pretty great deal for them. Surprising if he is though.

VanKenny

If anybody can squeeze a couple of more world class years from CR7, that would be Pep Guardiola. If you think there's anything that Kane can do that CR7 cant, i dont know what football have youve been watching. If he listens to Guardiola and does what he's told, he's going to be a force to be reckoned with.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He’ll be thirty fecking seven before the season’s out. A known prima donna with an ego the size of a planet. At a team that is all about putting the needs of the collective ahead of the individual. He’ll most likely cause more problems than he’ll solve.

Oranges038

With Ronaldo he will have better chance of scoring headers and can get more crosses in from out wide and from deeper areas.

For the most part. It will still be the pass into the channel between the full back and centre back, ball cut back across goal and Ronaldo will be on hand to bang it in. Even if he never moved from the penalty spot he'd still score 30 goals a season with them.

Sylar

Why would Kane not suit them?

I thought if anything he would suit them more after his last season with Spurs given how much he drops now to midfield and then having runners either side (eg sterling / Mahrez) would be what pep would want (when they aren't going to the byline and cutting it back for the tap ins)

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
He’ll be thirty fecking seven before the season’s out. A known prima donna with an ego the size of a planet. At a team that is all about putting the needs of the collective ahead of the individual. He’ll most likely cause more problems than he’ll solve.
Is also how I see it. Take the emotion out of it and from a footballing perspective it’s utterly bizarre. Marketing wise it makes perfect sense though.

spiriticon

I think so too. I think it won't be as peachy for them as it looks on the surface.

If he scores 25 goals but destroys their pressing and passing game I'd love it

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Based on the xG trigonometry of his last trivarium at Juventus I expect him to net with the range of 2.657 recurring BPM when adjusted for inflation. Moreover his expected output yield should regurgitate fiscally within the first 3 parallels of around 2.45 but that of course depends on various factors.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
With Ronaldo he will have better chance of scoring headers and can get more crosses in from out wide and from deeper areas.

For the most part. It will still be the pass into the channel between the full back and centre back, ball cut back across goal and Ronaldo will be on hand to bang it in. Even if he never moved from the penalty spot he'd still score 30 goals a season with them.
Doubt it. He’d be constantly offside for starters. Plus City won’t create many goals if they’re basically playing with 10 men. They’re good but not that good.

Oaencha

If anybody can squeeze a couple of more world class years from CR7, that would be Pep Guardiola. If you think there's anything that Kane can do that CR7 cant, i dont know what football have youve been watching. If he listens to Guardiola and does what he's told, he's going to be a force to be reckoned with.
Kane is proven recently in the Premier League. Ronaldo is old and his legs won’t hack a full season.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Is also how I see it. Take the emotion out of it and from a footballing perspective it’s utterly bizarre. Marketing wise it makes perfect sense though.
Even the marketing upside is nebulous. Not like they’ve ever needed to rely on shirt sales or sponsorship for income. It’s a status move. A gulf state swinging dick competition. They got Messi, we want Ronaldo. The football and marketing reasons are completely secondary here.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Based on the xG trigonometry of his last trivarium at Juventus I expect him to net with the range of 2.657 recurring BPM when adjusted for inflation. Moreover his expected output yield should regurgitate fiscally within the first 3 parallels of around 2.45 but that of course depends on various factors.
Amen brother.

MUFC OK

He’ll play the Sterling role but with a lot better finishing. He’ll be on the end of their moves, particularly their classic ball down the inside channel then squared across.
Ronaldo ain’t playing on the left wing at 36.

MUFC OK

Chuckled at this. Isn’t of funny how the ones who come out with this sh*te are the ones who have never played football at a decent level?

MUFC OK

Even the marketing upside is nebulous. Not like they’ve ever needed to rely on shirt sales or sponsorship for income. It’s a status move. A gulf state swinging dick competition. They got Messi, we want Ronaldo. The football and marketing reasons are completely secondary here.
That’s all it’s ever been about for them and Chelsea. Sadly, this mentality with resources will win you a lot of trophies.

Dinghy

This. Will be funny seeing Ronaldo leading the high press in a Pep-side.

Lukaku >> 37-year old Ronaldo

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
Bollocks, you forgot to include his quarternary oxygen levels there. Poor

Zoo

Ronaldo ain’t playing on the left wing at 36.
It won’t be exactly the same. Ronaldo is not going to press like Sterling so Guardiola will have to find a way compensate. When it comes to their attacking moves he’ll be on the end of them as Sterling regularly is.