Tactics Explained: Man United's Last Champions League Win

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Found this insightful. Thoughts?

That was a team that had personnel who could provide tactical flexibility at a very high level. When we attacked it was either a 4-5-1 or 4-3-3 with Hargreaves playing as a forward at times as mentioned in the video. But Hargreaves did not play as a winger which should be noted but rather a midfielder on the right who had defensive responsibility off the ball due to Chelsea's left side being dangerous, hence Hargreaves providing the defensive balance off the ball. Carlos Tevez also played a key role by occupying Makalele's space off the ball which was key in stifling Chelsea as far as advancing play from a deeper role.

I could go into more detail but that sort of personnel and flexibility on/off the ball is required currently and I feel we're on the way there. I think we'd get their quicker if we can sign players who are showing huge potential, rather than pay a premium on singular targets, which would hamper us in future transfer windows, which in-turn would see people saying the manager wasn't backed.

Foxbatt

Yes and then Hargreaves came into midfield later in the game when Scholes was taken off.
I don't think Jose would have lost the Final. We were lucky that it was Avram Grant and Drogba got himself sent off. Both those teams would play off the park both the current teams at United and Chelsea.