Taking Evans off

tomaldinho1

He oozed that Ferguson team aura yesterday. He didn't look scared of City.
His fighter mentality was sorely missed when he went off. Have to agree with @Oranges038, selling him and Smalling for peanuts was a mistake, especially given the expensive dross we replaced them with.
Not sure, captaining WBA and then being first choice at Leicester who were an EL team for most of his time is probably a bit more important than the fact he started his career with us. He's grown a lot since he left.

Smalling I agree on though, purely because for all his faults, he remained a CB with speed, height and caused zero drama. He would have been a great squad player.

RedinIndia

People forget that Evans made Maguire look good in Leicester as well

Davie Moyes

On the channel I was watching the commentators made it very clear Evans was struggling with an injury quite early in the game, way before half time.

They showed him limping around and it was clear he was struggling so I'm quite surprised most on here did not notice.

NM

He oozed that Ferguson team aura yesterday. He didn't look scared of City.
His fighter mentality was sorely missed when he went off. Have to agree with @Oranges038, selling him and Smalling for peanuts was a mistake, especially given the expensive dross we replaced them with.
Van Gaal and Moyes dismantling the side instead of doing a transition killed us as a club tbh. Smalling, Evans, Rafael was a top 4 defense (Evra was getting old).. Even if we didn't win the title we would not have sunk as quick.

Hammondo

Van Gaal and Moyes dismantling the side instead of doing a transition killed us as a club tbh. Smalling, Evans, Rafael was a top 4 defense (Evra was getting old).. Even if we didn't win the title we would not have sunk as quick.
I love bed Rafael but he was injured all the time. I still remember when he had Ronaldo in his pocket and made him sulk and complain.

justsomebloke

Was he injured??

They made no mention of it on commentary. If it was a tactical decision then it was absolutely diabolical. Was our best player alongside Varane today.
Out of gas, is surely the obvious explanation? He made several clear errors on the ball shortly before being substituted.

justsomebloke

Do you know crazy it is for geriatric Jonny Evans to be far and away the best centre back at a club that spent £400m in the last two seasons on players?
Only he isn't. Come on. He's been adequate. No more, no less.

padzilla

Hipster
Evans and Smalling should be winding their careers down with us now. We've spent a fortune to replace them and are much weaker in central defence. How much did we sell them for?

justsomebloke

No he hasn't been "adequate" he's been really good and one of our best players this season.
I think that's well over the top. He's been steady and efficient in the box, save for being outpaced on a few occasions, with not a lot of impact in other areas of the game and a pretty mixed output in terms of passing. The sort of player who's a safe, steady, stabilising influence under the right circumstances but not the sort of player who is instrumental in making you a very good team. Do you think he could have played for a team less prone to drop back deep in our own box than we are? He's a terrific 5th backup defender, but he is no more than an average PL player at best, at this stage. And that's if he's used sparingly.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I think that's well over the top. He's been steady and efficient in the box, save for being outpaced on a few occasions, with not a lot of impact in other areas of the game and a pretty mixed output in terms of passing. The sort of player who's a safe, steady, stabilising influence under the right circumstances but not the sort of player who is instrumental in making you a very good team. Do you think he could have played for a team less prone to drop back deep in our own box than we are? He's a terrific 5th backup defender, but he is no more than an average PL player at best, at this stage. And that's if he's used sparingly.
It definitely isn't, who's been better then him this season? Dalot, Mainoo and Garnacho are the only other names in the conversation... and I'd have him above Mainoo (as Evans has played more) and Garnacho who - whilst good overall, has been about as inconsistent as you'd expect any 19 year old to be.

Mart1974

harbours delusions of insignificance
The years is 2024, 37 year old Johnny Evans is forced due to injuries to start against the most exhausting team in the league to play against. A thread is written to complain about him being subbed.

Wake me up when this is all over.
Avicii has let himself go...

MegadrivePerson

I think a lot of people are misremembering Evans ability!

If he was THAT good, how come the best offer he got was from West Bromwich Albion? and if he played THAT well for them how come Leicester City were the biggest club to then come in for him when West Brom were relegated?