Taking Evans off

Malone_Post

Was he injured??

They made no mention of it on commentary. If it was a tactical decision then it was absolutely diabolical. Was our best player alongside Varane today.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I don’t know the answer but whatever it is I’m angry at ten Hag about it

Red00012

Was he injured??

They made no mention of it on commentary. If it was a tactical decision then it was absolutely diabolical. Was our best player alongside Varane today.
Yes he was and he has been for the past week . ETH mentioned it in the Fulham press conference . Also did you not see him limp off?

JB08

Searches for nude pics of Marcos Rojo
How do you expect Redcafe.net members to know? Surely one for the coaching staff?

Reditus

Lineup Prediction League Winner 2021-22
They mentioned he was hobbling a bit in the first. and he did look fairly knackered when he came off

Malone_Post

Yes he was and he has been for the past week . ETH mentioned it in the Fulham press conference . Also did you not see him limp off?
Fair enough if he was injured then.

We fell apart after came off.

baskinginthesun

Was injured. It was brought up in the first half. Commentary team mentioned the physio was having a chat to him about it from the sideline to gauge how injured he was.

astracrazy

EtH also said in the pre match interview Evans was one the players that did everything he could to be available.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
He looked knackered and limped off the pitch.

Also I thought that was the only sub that did make any sense (because there wasn't really a choice).

We had to get Lindelof away from left back as once City made their changes Foden was making an idiot out of him. If Evans was ok it'd have been Lindelof to go off I assume

Oranges038

He was gassed and possibly injured.

A real shame, because he was the one holding it together at the back.

Hughes35

He was injured, he was stretching and flexing for 5-10 minutes prior to the sub.

Sylar

Aye, he’s been class this season. Really brings it home the absolute shite we’ve been putting up with in central defence since Rio/Vidic retired.
And the fact that we sold him for about 6m, have spent hundreds of millions, and none of them have been steady enough to say they have been a big massive upgrade on what Evans was. And hes come back from a relegated team and still looks like he is no worse than what weve had.

Oranges038

Aye, he’s been class this season. Really brings it home the absolute shite we’ve been putting up with in central defence since Rio/Vidic retired.
He's always been a very good player. I don't think Utd would have been any worse defensively in the last number of years had him and Smalling been at CB for the most part. Sold for peanuts and in between we've had the likes Rojo, Bailly, Linfelof, Maguire, Varane etc.. over 200m on centre backs. He comes back for free at 35 and arguably he's still better than them all.

Never thought he'd have had to play as much or that he would have been as good, but you have to give him credit, he always gives 100%.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
The years is 2024, 37 year old Johnny Evans is forced due to injuries to start against the most exhausting team in the league to play against. A thread is written to complain about him being subbed.

Wake me up when this is all over.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
He must have been injured or it was a crazy move

Still would question if it was worth shifting around 3 players rather than just sticking Kambwala at CB

Foolsgold21

It’s startling how good he’s looked.

Fair play to him - been quietly a cracking free signing.

Always thought selling him for peanuts was a bad move but my god, it really was a shocker!

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Our best defender this season and another damning indictment of the club.
Nevermind defender, he was my pick for best player in that Best/Worst player of the season so far thread a few weeks ago... and I stand by it.

KiD MoYeS

Good Craig got his c'nuppins
Nevermind defender, he was my pick for best player in that Best/Worst player of the season so far thread a few weeks ago... and I stand by it.
Yeah, he would absolutely be in my top two or three players this season. Alongside Garnacho and Mainoo. All academy graduates at least.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Dalot POTY for me so far. Honourable mentions to Evans, Mainoo, Lindelof and Maguire who have deputised well. I don't feel like anyone else has had a season they can be proud of so far, though if Hojlund comes back in recent form and not early form then it's been a good start for him too.

Puskas_007

It's a stark reminder of how the club has veered off course that Mr Evans, at the age he is, coming back to the club, is one of the very few in the squad who looks like they have what it takes to make it at the club; he's shown the right mentality and quality - if we had 15+ who performed in their position the way he does we'd so much better off, ETH is certainly culpable, as is most of the management structure, but the squad just seems to wobble between utter ***** and 'okay'.

thisisnottaken1

The fact that a 36 year old has been one of our best players this season just shows how badly run this club is.

RedDevil@84

He was clearly struggling wasn't he? He had niggle even in the first half I think.
Rashy also seemed to indicate something to the bench in the first half.

Dannn411

Do you know crazy it is for geriatric Jonny Evans to be far and away the best centre back at a club that spent £400m in the last two seasons on players?

RedDevil@84

Do you know crazy it is for geriatric Jonny Evans to be far and away the best centre back at a club that spent £400m in the last two seasons on players?
We are Manchester United. We can do things that others can only dream of.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
these threads are toxic - not every single fuggin decision needs microanalysis by people that dont know the full facts.

Maticmaker

Evans 'old-head' was useful in the first half, but from the pre-match press releases seems he was only 95% fit to start with, thought he did well to last that long.

With all the injuries it seems as if the 'cupboard is bare' as far as defenders are concerned. Can see signs of defensive improvements in Dalot's thinking though, or maybe its just his ability to recover quickly?

Lyng

He oozed that Ferguson team aura yesterday. He didn't look scared of City.
His fighter mentality was sorely missed when he went off. Have to agree with @Oranges038, selling him and Smalling for peanuts was a mistake, especially given the expensive dross we replaced them with.