Television Tales of the City

Grinner

Not fat gutted. Hirsuteness of shoulders TBD.
Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Anyone else a fan?

I began reading the books back in the 1980's and loved the Channel 4 adaptation when it came out in the early 90's. I rewatched that before taking on the new Netflix show that revisits the characters in the present day.

Initially I was a bit thrown by all the new kids and stories, and didn't like the new Michael Tolliver actor so much. But all began to grow on me and by the 3rd episode it was thoroughly enjoyable. It's got some good funny moments and the character stories are all interesting enough. The only thing I wasn't too big on was seeing the full-on bumming scenes! I'm not really a fan of explicit sex scenes whatever the orientation as they always just seem titillating to me.

The end was satisfying and I'd recommend it as a decent watch that doesn't require the sort of time investment a GoT or Breaking Bad requires. It does help to know all the character back stories though.

@DiseaseOfTheAge are you a fan?

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Haven't heard of it before. Is everyone rich? All American stuff that deals with queer issues seems to be about millionaires...
Kind of. It's a bit hard to believe that these people are all living on Russian Hill but it is explained by the character of Mrs. Madrigal.

The original books were set in SF in the 70's when living was cheap and fun.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
Needed something to read so bought this for my kindle.

Enjoying it so far, not that far in (Mary Ann has just had an evening with Mrs. Madrigal, and the 'tedious' Joaquin and Laurel).

Not the sort of book I would normally read, but it's a surprisingly easy read, and I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Needed something to read so bought this for my kindle.

Enjoying it so far, not that far in (Mary Ann has just had an evening with Mrs. Madrigal, and the 'tedious' Joaquin and Laurel).

Not the sort of book I would normally read, but it's a surprisingly easy read, and I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would.

I'm glad to hear it Elvis. As you say, good light reading. But things will occur as you get further into them.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I'm glad to hear it Elvis. As you say, good light reading. But things will occur as you get further into them.
Finished it. Really enjoyed it. A really interesting set of characters, and the way their relationships were woven together was very good. Seemed to get fairly dark at the end though!

I've added the second book to my to read list, will get to it soon.

Grinner

Staff
Supports
Arsenal
Finished it. Really enjoyed it. A really interesting set of characters, and the way their relationships were woven together was very good. Seemed to get fairly dark at the end though!

I've added the second book to my to read list, will get to it soon.

Good for you. You can watch the 1993 TV series now too.