Teddy Sheringham

KeanoMagicHat

With all the talk of player of the year, it often surprises me that Sheringham won Football Writers and PFA Player of the Year awards for United. Only Cantona, Ronaldo, Rooney and Keane have won both for United in the PL era. You think of the great players we’ve had over the years and Sheringham is far from the first player you think of.

I was quite young at the time so I don’t have a strong memory of 00/01. What was so good about his play that season? How did he end up playing so many matches when he was mainly a sub previously? Why did he leave then straight afterwards?

Then why is he not fondly remembered as a great United striker considering he scored crucial goals in the Champions League final, FA Cup final and won player of the year? I rarely see him mentioned in the same vein as Yorke or Cole, never mind Van Persie or Van Nistelrooy.

acnumber9

How did he end up playing so many matches when he was mainly a sub previously?
Yorke had stopped caring by that stage and I think Cole and Sheringham were just a better fit than Cole and Solskjaer. He was the fourth best of that group of strikers we had and he’s not particularly likeable. The fact he played most of his career at other Premier League clubs is probably why he’s not talked about for his time at United more.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
With all the talk of player of the year, it often surprises me that Sheringham won Football Writers and PFA Player of the Year awards for United. Only Cantona, Ronaldo, Rooney and Keane have won both for United in the PL era. You think of the great players we’ve had over the years and Sheringham is far from the first player you think of.

I was quite young at the time so I don’t have a strong memory of 00/01. What was so good about his play that season? How did he end up playing so many matches when he was mainly a sub previously? Why did he leave then straight afterwards?

Then why is he not fondly remembered as a great United striker considering he scored crucial goals in the Champions League final, FA Cup final and won player of the year? I rarely see him mentioned in the same vein as Yorke or Cole, never mind Van Persie or Van Nistelrooy.
Incredibly intelligent player, superb technique and always offered something different to the others. Could hold the ball up and bring others into play, ghosted into goal scoring positions, rarely wasted a pass.

Absolute class

Inigo Montoya

Yorke had stopped caring by that stage and I think Cole and Sheringham were just a better fit than Cole and Solskjaer. He was the fourth best of that group of strikers we had and he’s not particularly likeable. The fact he played most of his career at other Premier League clubs is probably why he’s not talked about for his time at United more.
Really, pray tell why?

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I thought Sheringham was a brilliant player. I might be in the minority there but he could do everything up front and had a fantastic season that year.

Pav1878

Just came across as a cocky twat. Plus he didn’t like to pay for his kids.
Have posted this before, but I met him as a 12 year old and was definitely a cocky twat and evidently racist.

Having said that from a footballing perspective he was a class player and very important in the history of our club.

acnumber9

Have posted this before, but I met him as a 12 year old and was definitely a cocky twat and evidently racist.

Having said that from a footballing perspective he was a class player and very important in the history of our club.
He was an alright player. In the last 30 years alone United have had about 10 better strikers. At least two or three while he was at the club.

Champagne Football

Sheringham for a season or two was almost as good as Cantona for us. He could do everything. Like with Bruno, the team gelled so much better when he was playing.
Berbarov was brought into the club with the view that he was that type of player who could make others tick around him, but sadly he proved to be a clear level below the likes of Bruno, Cantona, Sheringham

davidmichael

Sheringham had an excellent season that year but then went back to Spurs on a free transfer and was always seen as the fourth choice out of our quartet back then whereas the likes of Cantona, Ronaldo, Rooney and Keane were standouts in our team and world class players with us for many seasons.

It probably doesn’t help that by all accounts he’s meant to be a complete prick in real life, my mate was playing in a poker tournament that Sheringham also was and said that there wasn’t a person there that had a good word to say about him, he’ll always be a legend for the Champions League goal and scoring in that and the FA Cup final but he’ll never be as revered as the others mentioned.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
Comes across as a flash cockney twat but had a good United career particularly towards the end. He was the least productive of the four strikers in the treble winning seasons but produced some big moments.

Not a legend like Cole, Yorke or Solksjaer but a tier below.

patty123

Really, pray tell why?
Andy Cole said: "I walk on to the pitch, 60,000 or so watching. Sheringham is coming off. I expect a brief handshake, a 'Good luck, Coley', something. I am ready to shake. He snubs me. He actively snubs me, for no reason I was ever aware of then or since. He walks off. I don't even know the bloke so he can't have any issue with me. We're fellow England players, it is my debut and he snubs me.

Now can't see him be the only player he had a dislike for as he did have an aura of arrogance about him.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Just came across as a cocky twat. Plus he didn’t like to pay for his kids.
If you're rating father hood, then what's your opinion on Yorke!? Or was he more likeable as he smiled more?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Comes across as a flash cockney twat but had a good United career particularly towards the end. He was the least productive of the four strikers in the treble winning seasons but produced some big moments.

Not a legend like Cole, Yorke or Solksjaer but a tier below.
What are your thoughts on Beckham out of interest?

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach

Are you the guy who said he said you had a silly name or something?

Inigo Montoya

Andy Cole said: "I walk on to the pitch, 60,000 or so watching. Sheringham is coming off. I expect a brief handshake, a 'Good luck, Coley', something. I am ready to shake. He snubs me. He actively snubs me, for no reason I was ever aware of then or since. He walks off. I don't even know the bloke so he can't have any issue with me. We're fellow England players, it is my debut and he snubs me.

Now can't see him be the only player he had a dislike for as he did have an aura of arrogance about him.
On the other side, there were some allegations about Cole as well. Can't remember what they were.

Foxbatt

It's his personality I guess. Without Teddy we probably won't have won the CL. He should be the one getting credit for both the goals. He scored the equaliser and created the winning goal.

SirMattlives

Can't comment on the man's personality as I don't know him and never met him, but as a player he was excellent. I remember watching him with Spurs before we signed him and being taken aback at his performance, saying to my friend that I had not realized he was that good from watching him casually on TV before. When he signed for us, I thought he was an interesting choice but no Cantona. He wasn't the new Eric, nobody could be, but he proved to be an excellent piece by business by SAF, as if I should have doubted him, and always brought something to the team. I think his journeyed career means he's identified with many clubs, not particularly United, so that might account for his profile compared to others.

acnumber9

If you're rating father hood, then what's your opinion on Yorke!? Or was he more likeable as he smiled more?
Yeah he’s obviously a twat too. Better player for United though. There were considerably better players than both to play for us over the last 30 years. Yorke isn’t a player you hear talked about much anymore either and he at least had two good seasons for United.

Last edited:

FujiVice

Sheringham has that full set of PFA and FWA player of the year, as well as a Premier League golden boot and a Champions League final goal. As well as being one of the handful of players to work with both Clough and Ferguson. If you want to talk about someone who got every bit out of his career, you look at him.

2000-01 was essentially a one team league, where he strutted his stuff because Fergie picked him a lot. He was the best player in a league we dominated, so it was more than deserving.

Still ill

Fantasy Football Champ 2018

I was a bit of a shit when I was 12 too.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
@KeanoMagicHat I think the key thing about Sheringham's performances in 2000-01 was his age. Most people expected Teddy to be pretty much past it and, not to talk down on him, there wasn't that much evidence from previous seasons that he wasn't. Then unexpectedly he pulled a superb season out of the hat, finishing our top scorer and being key to our third league win on the trot. Nobody expected it and he was in his mid 30s, which made it more notable.

Before 2000-01 I think most United fans would have appreciated Teddy's contribution to United but felt like he was a bit part player. Teddy was signed in 1997 to replace the retiring Eric Cantona and a year later he himself was being replaced by Dwight Yorke. A lot of us felt like he never was he was meant to be. Obviously nobody could ever really replace Cantona but Yorke's 20+ goals and assists in 1998-99 led us to the Treble. That was what we'd hoped for from Teddy but he never seemed to have the presence.

When we threw the title away in 1997-98 Teddy didn't step forward and save the season. Maybe it was unfair of him to expect he should. However, that's what we had become accustomed to with Cantona. When we really needed it Cantona would dig us out. We wanted that from Teddy, it didn't happen in 1998 and Arsenal won the double. I think him not being remembered as fondly as other players is a result of the fact that, up until 2000-01, he was a bit of a let down. It might be harsh to say but its true. He was a very good player and we wanted a great one.

As others have said, Teddy got back into the team cos Yorkie was too busy playing with Jordan to play for United. :lol: Why is he not as loved as the other greats of that era? They all contributed more. It may sound strange to say so as he got an assist and a goal in the 1999 European Cup final but, maybe going back to that 1997-98 experience, there was a sense that Teddy was never the man for the big games or never the man to hang your hat on. Go through the careers of the others and there are so many great games, so many memorable moments. For Teddy it was really only 2000-01 and he left at the end of it.

Last edited:

Falcow

Incredibly intelligent player, superb technique and always offered something different to the others. Could hold the ball up and bring others into play, ghosted into goal scoring positions, rarely wasted a pass.

Absolute class
I agree with this. Sheringham could pass the ball with his head as well as some players could with their feet, the master of the cushioned header. Brilliant at bringing others into the game.
Had an incredible partnership with Shearer for England as well.

I was always a big fan but i know nothing of him other than Cole didnt like him, neither did Keane (shock/horror). I remember Sheringham doing an interview describing the phone call from his agent telling him United were interested, agent asked Sheringham, guess who was is in for ya? He basically guessed every team in league bar United and thought the agent was winding him up when he said United.

Imagine we signed him and Ole for combined less than 5m!

T_Model101

Fun fact: His house in Chingford is called "Camp Nou"
Quality player, only scored 5 goals in the 99 season if I remember correctly but he had an excellent season before he rejoined Spurs

Irwin99

I wonder how he would have played with RVN if he had stayed for another year? Teddy had excellent link up play and I think Ruud might have like that. I can see why he was moved on though as he was getting older and we had just brought in Veron too with Scholes moving a bit forward.

Inigo Montoya

Fun fact: His house in Chingford is called "Camp Nou"
Quality player, only scored 5 goals in the 99 season if I remember correctly but he had an excellent season before he rejoined Spurs
I used to live near there and it's nothing special. A lot of the houses down that road look a lot nicer. Just shows that money doesn't always buy you good taste

Inigo Montoya

Are you the guy who said he said you had a silly name or something?
I remember something about that.

Makes you wonder why he even took managing in the Indian Super League.. he's obviously a crap manager

Amir

I wonder how he would have played with RVN if he had stayed for another year? Teddy had excellent link up play and I think Ruud might have like that. I can see why he was moved on though as he was getting older and we had just brought in Veron too with Scholes moving a bit forward.
Well, Sheringham left in 2001, which is a year before Veron joined, so it had nothing to do with that. There was also a year gap between his departure and Ruud's arrival (though we almost signed Ruud in 2001). If I remember correctly he left over the length of contract offered, but I could be wrong.

Ruud would have probably enjoyed playing with him.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I remember something about that.

Makes you wonder why he even took managing in the Indian Super League.. he's obviously a crap manager
It's sensitive times these days, and you'd want to avoid making any comments to appear racist.

But i still chuckle at names I find funny now. I guess like a lot of things it depends on the connotations, race, etc.
And I guess you don't say it to the person, especially if they're a kid!

Inigo Montoya

It's sensitive times these days, and you'd want to avoid making any comments to appear racist.

But i still chuckle at names I find funny now. I guess like a lot of things it depends on the connotations, race, etc.
And I guess you don't say it to the person, especially if they're a kid!
It also depends on how you say it to the person. Russell Peters is a fine stand up who makes fun of his Indian heritage and includes names,language,accent in his show. If you're not trying to be insulting then it is just that, a joke. Sheringham's comment " what sort of name is that?" etc was bigoted

Gazza

Sheringham didn't finish his first season strongly, was injured for a few games, and we ended up losing the league to Arsenal. During that time, he was seen at a nightclub till all hours, pictured smoking a cigarette, while on England duty. I think from this point onward he was facing a bit of a battle in terms of people's perceptions of him. We signed Yorke that summer and Teddy was never a regular with us again until his last season, 00/01. He not only came back from near retirement to become one of our first names on the team-sheet again, but he played with skill and intelligence too. Him and Scholes had a great understanding. Overall, decent United career if a bit underwhelming for large spells, and his contribution to our success in 1999 will never be forgotten (could say the same about Dwight Yorke, tbh).

Gazza

Well, Sheringham left in 2001, which is a year before Veron joined, so it had nothing to do with that. There was also a year gap between his departure and Ruud's arrival (though we almost signed Ruud in 2001). If I remember correctly he left over the length of contract offered, but I could be wrong.

Ruud would have probably enjoyed playing with him.
Veron joined in 2001, no? And we signed Ruud in 2001, having nearly signed him in 2000.