Telegraph Football: Uefa consider staging Euro 2020 in December as major cancellations pile up

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

ti vu

Just have it the following summer
Players are human, and they age. Injury risk. The sooner possibility allow, the better for these international tournament.

I am entertaining the idea of European Club Super League for the time being in place of normal season.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
wouldn't it clash with the nations league and Fifa Qualifiers?
Nations league is mickey mouse. If its scrapped to accomodate the Euros and World Cup qualifiers nobody will give a monkeys.

The Firestarter

Yeah just to coincide with the possible second winter peak In the pandemic ? Either next year or cancel it completely.

Snafu17

Why in the feck would they put it in December. Just do it next summer ffs.

ti vu

Yeah just to coincide with the possible second winter peak In the pandemic ? Either next year or cancel it completely.
They‘re likely looking at the report about vaccine development which in ideal scenario would be available by end of 2020. They can further delay the EURO with reason if there is new outbreak, and no vaccine; but the EURO has to be the priority over the club season in planning. See my previous post.

Rafaeldagold

I didn’t buy tickets to enjoy it in Spain in December..if it had to be moved then next summer. I’m sure many feel that way. Don’t want the next 2 international tournaments to be in winter

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
If we are lucky enough to have domestic seasons starting back as normal in August the last thing anyone wants is another disruption to the normal league schedules. Just have it next summer or cancel it completely.
I don't think anyone cares that much about it do they?

Rafaeldagold

If we are lucky enough to have domestic seasons starting back as normal in August the last thing anyone wants is another disruption to the normal league schedules. Just have it next summer or cancel it completely.
I don't think anyone cares that much about it do they?
Really..don’t care about the Euros?
The second must important international football tournament?

I love the Euros, hope they find a way to play this soon, if not next summer

ti vu

Why in the feck would they put it in December. Just do it next summer ffs.
Because regular season is in doubt to start and complete as normal. International tournament is very important to the players. The further it gets delayed, the higher chance some players would lose their last chance, talking about players at the end of their careers. And it make it harder to organize for this World Cup qualifications and the next EURO’s.

17Larsson

Not a malefactor just a lagomorph
Really..don’t care about the Euros?
The second must important international football tournament?

I love the Euros, hope they find a way to play this soon, if not next summer
Personally the last thing I'd want if we are back to normal is the euros shoe horned into the domestic season.
Next Summer would be fine but I'm not really bothered about it to be honest

Razvan

The further it gets delayed, the higher chance some players would lose their last chance, talking about players at the end of their careers.
That's a ridiculous argument, there are probably less than 5 players from the qualified teams that might retire between summer 2020 and summer 2021.

Snafu17

Because regular season is in doubt to start and complete as normal. International tournament is very important to the players. The further it gets delayed, the higher chance some players would lose their last chance, talking about players at the end of their careers. And it make it harder to organize for this World Cup qualifications and the next EURO’s.
Regular seasons are the lifeblood of football. International competitions are a bonus for the best of the lot. Smaller clubs need regular football to be played. There's no point in fecking up next season's schedule just so that we can have the Euro's in 2020. Just make it happen next summer. There's not a lot of international fixtures and it's easier to rearrange them.

ti vu

Regular seasons are the lifeblood of football. International competitions are a bonus for the best of the lot. Smaller clubs need regular football to be played. There's no point in fecking up next season's schedule just so that we can have the Euro's in 2020. Just make it happen next summer. There's not a lot of international fixtures and it's easier to rearrange them.
I would disagree.

Look at the history of football. International tournament have more recognition even for on football people in old day, where resource would be allocated else where and less on league football.

In the digital era, we saw CL getting the recognition as pinnacle of European football when it was not as prestigious not long ago. Real Madrid sacked Heynckes despite he won CL, then in few years later, they would spend fortune to try and win this same trophy while the league take the back seat. The regular season is driven by popularity demand. The demand would definitely fall since this is a global crisis would set the world economy back years, where people have to focus more on life essentials rather than bonus.

International football where the countries showcase their pride as whole take higher priority. Ever wonder why politicians show up in international sports events and less on club tournament? Politic.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
I hate it.

I'd be for moving Euro 2020 to summer of 2021, cancelling domestic cup competitions for the 20-21 season as well as winter breaks and use this summer as a time to finish this season.

ti vu

I hate it.

I'd be for moving Euro 2020 to summer of 2021, cancelling domestic cup competitions for the 20-21 season as well as winter breaks and use this summer as a time to finish this season.
You are not accounting the virus here.

They’re suspending everything, not just football, because how dangerous this pandemic is.

They are putting the priority to host EURO as soon as possible for the right reason: to show European countries can still stand together as nations in a competition. This is even a special EURO with no real host. Even that, December is not a sure thing. It’s on depending on the vaccine development.

The regular season is a much lower priority, one that even riskier. Multiple months to take care vs 1 month competition. Several countries have to look out for safety of multiple games at the same time/ in quick succession vs a more focused resource approach to monitor EURO games.

GazTheLegend

I didn’t buy tickets to enjoy it in Spain in December..if it had to be moved then next summer. I’m sure many feel that way. Don’t want the next 2 international tournaments to be in winter
Personally I'm looking forward to going to Old Trafford in the warm for once!!!!

Realise it wrecks a lot of people's plans but seeing as 90% of our games seem to be played between 0-5°c it makes a nice change for me and is enough to convince the missus to come with me I hope :lol:

Snafu17

I would disagree.

Look at the history of football. International tournament have more recognition even for on football people in old day, where resource would be allocated else where and less on league football.

In the digital era, we saw CL getting the recognition as pinnacle of European football when it was not as prestigious not long ago. Real Madrid sacked Heynckes despite he won CL, then in few years later, they would spend fortune to try and win this same trophy while the league take the back seat. The regular season is driven by popularity demand. The demand would definitely fall since this is a global crisis would set the world economy back years, where people have to focus more on life essentials rather than bonus.

International football where the countries showcase their pride as whole take higher priority. Ever wonder why politicians show up in international sports events and less on club tournament? Politic.
Politics and symbolism can wait half a year. Small clubs all around the continent need revenue and they need to play football. You do less damage if you just move the Euros in the summer. There's no point in having it in December, there's no actual benefits, just some vague notion of pride. There's no difference in making a political point half a year later.

Logical thing is to cancel Euro 2020 - and cancel all domestic competitions. With the hope of being able to resume normality at the start of next season, if coronavirus is under control.

ti vu

Politics and symbolism can wait half a year. Small clubs all around the continent need revenue and they need to play football. You do less damage if you just move the Euros in the summer. There's no point in having it in December, there's no actual benefits, just some vague notion of pride. There's no difference in making a political point half a year later.
Those world leaders are the one who have the final say on world economy. Football is just small faction of it.

You’re naive to say timing making no difficult when it comes to politic. Ask any reign politicians whether they prefer to deal with a global pandemic during election phase or after. I am talking about your local governors not even the prime minister or president.

Small clubs can go bankrupt to focus the resource for the more meaningful cause. You know what? The healthcare system where this virus hit the hardest are running on fume, if not to say bankrupt with residential area being used as quarantine area! Wake up to reality dude.

Edit:

I have to add because I can’t stand people downplaying politic like it has nothing to do with life.

Why do you create club, support club? It’s a form of politic. To express one’s approval to certain value.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6956608.stm

Last edited:

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Finish the football season behind closed doors wherever you can. Whenever you have two teams that have players that aren't self-isolating. Allow it to go on into the summer.

Move Euro 2020 (and the Olympics) to the Summer of 2021

Scrap the Nations League and "New" Club World Cup.

Scrap the League Cup but play the 2021 season as best you can

ti vu

Finish the football season behind closed doors wherever you can. Whenever you have two teams that have players that aren't self-isolating. Allow it to go on into the summer.

Why do the season have to be completed? So Juventus can’t be competing because Dybala and Rugani contracted with this Virus? Why?

Snafu17

Those world leaders are the one who have the final say on world economy. Football is just small faction of it.

You’re naive to say timing making no difficult when it comes to politic. Ask any reign politicians whether they prefer to deal with a global pandemic during election phase or after. I am talking about your local governors not even the prime minister or president.

Small clubs can go bankrupt to focus the resource for the more meaningful cause. You know what? The healthcare system where this virus hit the hardest are running on fume, if not to say bankrupt with residential area being used as quarantine area! Wake up to reality dude.

Edit:

I have to add because I can’t stand people downplaying politic like it has nothing to do with life.

Why do you create club, support club? It’s a form of politic. To express one’s approval to certain value.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6956608.stm
I understand we need politics. I also understand that holding a sport tournament that will not be all that important for Europe's unity and simultaneously fecking that sport financially is a particularly dumb, vain and bad sort of politics.

UEFA has a responsibility for all European football not just the elite.

Also the idea that bankrupting small clubs will in anyway help health care is so bizarrely stupid I can't even imagine how to address it.

Pink Moon

Supports
Celtic
You are not accounting the virus here.

They’re suspending everything, not just football, because how dangerous this pandemic is.

They are putting the priority to host EURO as soon as possible for the right reason: to show European countries can still stand together as nations in a competition. This is even a special EURO with no real host. Even that, December is not a sure thing. It’s on depending on the vaccine development.

The regular season is a much lower priority, one that even riskier. Multiple months to take care vs 1 month competition. Several countries have to look out for safety of multiple games at the same time/ in quick succession vs a more focused resource approach to monitor EURO games.
How does the month they hold it change any of that? Whether it's December or June/July? Only difference is holding it in December would negatively impact next season's fixture schedule. Holding it in the summer of 2021 would not.

ti vu

I understand we need politics. I also understand that holding a sport tournament that will not be all that important for Europe's unity and simultaneously fecking that sport financially is a particularly dumb, vain and bad sort of politics.

UEFA has a responsibility for all European football not just the elite.

Also the idea that bankrupting small clubs will in anyway help health care is so bizarrely stupid I can't even imagine how to address it.
We don’t just need politics. Politics is part of our lives as result of arrangements between people, individuals, groups, whether you‘re aware of it or not.

Have a read.
https://www.uefa.com/MultimediaFile...uropeanUnion/02/53/98/34/2539834_DOWNLOAD.pdf

So this agreeement will expire in December 31 2020. To move the EURO to next year, this agreement needs to be renewed! It takes time. You don’t just easily move a tournament outside that time agreement contract, and expect same support UEFA from European Commission. Plenty of legal issues would arise, come Brexit transition period ends.

Legal issue aside. It is a symbol from the governments, not just UEFA (you’re overrating UEFA role) about the assurance between European countries even with GB taking different path.

Right now they’re fight a pandemic that cripple world economy. Just like during war, governments can allocate resource for other priority. How about less investment, loan toward building sport, stadium, but healthcare center for example?

How does the month they hold it change any of that? Whether it's December or June/July? Only difference is holding it in December would negatively impact next season's fixture schedule. Holding it in the summer of 2021 would not.
The response for your questions lies with that answer too: The agreement between UEFA and the European Commision.

MuranoLover

UEFA is really a shit organization.

Players and people would be tired of all this happening right now and would have spent some emergency cash and they still want to have them spend some more.

Just leave it and have it in 2024..not that big deal.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Uefa need Fifa to move their fixtures to accommodate. Which I don't see Fifa doing.[/QUOTE]

Spaghetti

Mom's
Selfish view: I’ve spent all of my money on tickets, flights and hotels. Keep the f*cker as it is!

ti vu

UEFA is really a shit organization.

Players and people would be tired of all this happening right now and would have spent some emergency cash and they still want to have them spend some more.

Just leave it and have it in 2024..not that big deal.
Countries have put their resources to host the EURO in the agreement with UEFA. The governments are losing money, so unless the majority of the populations approve their tax money to go down the drain, they need to finish what they started.

Uefa need Fifa to move their fixtures to accommodate. Which I don't see Fifa doing.
It’s not only issues between the sporting Associations, but there are also legal bindings with countries. Events can’t just be moved anytime. The government have to utilize the national resource in according to the agreement. Goverment has to prepare food supply, energy supply, health care service, police force (training)... Imagine, there is no agreement with police union and the police going on strife during the events!

Last edited:

MuranoLover

Countries have put their resources to host the EURO in the agreement with UEFA. The governments are losing money, so unless the majority of the populations approve their tax money to go down the drain, they need to finish what they started.

It’s not only issues between the sporting Associations, but there are also legal bindings with countries. Events can’t just be moved anytime. The government have to utilize the national resource in according to the agreement. Goverment has to prepare food supply, energy supply, health care service, police force (training)... Imagine, there is no agreement with police union and the police going on strife during the events!
It will be held in 12 EU countries that I don't believe needed much investments to host it.

TsuWave

Fully agree with this.

OneUnited24

This would only work if they decide to finish this season at all costs where it ends up running into Sept/Oct, thus cancelling next seasons club domestic and european leagues... Which i cannot see happening