Telegraph publishes 20 year old audio of a Sir Alex Ferguson press conference

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Coops73

Brilliant, that really made me laugh, miss that cantankerous old bastard side of him, didn’t give the journos any quarter.

diarm

Curtis sounds like a right whiny little bitch!

justboy68

That's how you build a great team spirit and unity. Even if Veron wasn't working out, he was one of us, he wore a United shirt and SAF wasn't going to have anyone talking shit about one of his players.

Chairman Steve

I thought it was well known that it was in response to questions around Veron, no?
I’ve seen it on Veron stuff, but I think I’ve seen it on RVN leaving stuff and Ronaldo leaving stuff too, so I don’t know if I’ve mixed it up in my head or people have misattributed that quote or people made that quote a meme (before even memes were a thing) and applied it going forward with the RVN and Ronaldo stuff.

But it is the first time I’ve heard that clip and him saying that. Thank you Sam Wallace. I’m sure Neil Custis will be thrilled and he’s going to go eat some cake to cope with it surfacing :p

Speako

Great to hear. And also very interesting that SAF felt the players had lost their edge that year due to new massive contracts being dished out. And that was 20 years ago. He won’t be the least bit surprised with what he’s seeing at United circa 2022 and in fact said so last week when asked his thoughts on Ten Hag’s appointment, ‘it’s a good move’, he said, ‘because someone needs to come in and take control of the club’ .

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
The media doesn't get enough flack for the utterly dumb questions they bring to managers and players at times. Even accounting for the fact that it's partly driven by an equally dumb public, you have no personal pride? Access to some of the best minds and talents in the sport and you choose to be a troll?

If more managers gave the SAF treatment then we'd be better off for it today

SuperiorXI

What a legend, I wish he could come back and give them some of this treatment, they've had a field day since he has been gone, they're absolutely loving it.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
I see "20 year old interview" and thought "hmm back in the 90s"

Now I'm upset at how old I'm getting.

Stig

Do you have to sign up for the free trial of the Telegraph to read it ?

Kelly15

I miss Sir Alex! It was a privilege to have been able to follow United with him as the boss.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
I remember reading somewhere that he was much more volatile before the pres conferences became public, he must have had to cut back on a lot of that edge perhaps to his disdain.

Edit: shame how veron turned out, he was a proper footballer and Fergie too seems to have rated him as such but it wasn't meant to be.
Was super excited when we got him but him occupying the same space as Scholes spelled his doom.

Last edited:

Chripper

You think that's bad?

Jim McLean and Alex Ferguson are cut from the same cloth. There's a reason why Aberdeen and Dundee United were labelled "The New Firm".

Reaching the Uefa Cup final, beating Barcelona along the way and reaching the European Cup, losing to Roma (and a now confirmed bribed red) with Dundee United Is some achievement.

Brilliant managers.

Last edited:

Chairman Steve

:lol: What was that ban for? For asking if Giggs was important?
This was at the start of the time when Giggs was being exposed as a shitty person outside of football. A super injunction was in place by Giggs to stop his name getting out in public that he had an extramarital affair but some MP decided to cut through that by naming him in Parliament.

At the same time we were preparing for the 2011 Champions League Final and this was a huge side story. Obviously the press were probably briefed to focus on the game and not talk about off pitch stuff but some smartass journalist (I believe it was Rob Harris) tried to be clever by asking if Giggs was important to the team, to which Ferguson got him banned as seen in the video.

ScholesyTheWise

This was at the start of the time when Giggs was being exposed as a shitty person outside of football. A super injunction was in place by Giggs to stop his name getting out in public that he had an extramarital affair but some MP decided to cut through that by naming him in Parliament.

At the same time we were preparing for the 2011 Champions League Final and this was a huge side story. Obviously the press were probably briefed to focus on the game and not talk about off pitch stuff but some smartass journalist (I believe it was Rob Harris) tried to be clever by asking if Giggs was important to the team, to which Ferguson got him banned as seen in the video.
nice one, I always liked that bit and was wondering what it was about.
"we'll get him then" hehe. Fergie was really something.

GlasgowCeltic

The Custis, Woolnough, Barclay generation of football journos were all twats tbh, much prefer this current lot, harmless in comparison even if they’re largely pseudo philosopher football manager boffins