ten Hag vs The Players - Who do you think will win out?

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
We've had successive managers now that have had players drop tools and leak information to the press that they aren't happy under them.

Recently we've had comments from Rashford that training has been difficult under Erik so far.

Ronaldo is set to leave, with it now being leaked that players are happy that they can be more 'expressive' without him. Less accountability on the pitch?

What say you - do you think Erik will win over the players or have enough turnover that a new culture can be instilled?

Or do you think he will end up like the rest of our managers post-Alec after 2/3 years?

EtH

He will mow them down to 15mm and have them playing like a beautiful carpet.

TheReligion

Abusive
We've had successive managers now that have had players drop tools and leak information to the press that they aren't happy under them.

Recently we've had comments from Rashford that training has been difficult under Erik so far.

Ronaldo is set to leave, with it now being leaked that players are happy that they can be more 'expressive' without him. Less accountability on the pitch?

What say you - do you think Erik will win over the players or have enough turnover that a new culture can be instilled?

Or do you think he will end up like the rest of our managers post-Alec after 2/3 years?
I don’t think Rashford was complaining was he? And Ronaldo is said to be happy with Ten Hag and believes he’s the right man for the club.

I feel you’ve taken the comments out of context.

Anyway I think he’ll do well and we will see more from the squad we have next season.

altodevil

Odds winner of 'Odds or Evens 2023/2024'
I don’t think Rashford was complaining was he? And Ronaldo is said to be happy with Ten Hag and believes he’s the right man for the club.

I feel you’ve taken the comments out of context.

Anyway I think he’ll do well and we will see more from the squad we have next season.
No I haven't? I didn't say Rashford was complaining and I didn't say Ronaldo was unhappy with ten Hag. The point about Ronaldo leaving was to highlight the leaks since.

flappyjay

He seems a smart man and will get them on his side, get the best he can out of them whilst slowly weeding them out over 3 years. I think Ralph wasn't smart in that regard. Ole got them on his side during his enterim the same way. Ralph quickly made it me vs you instead of quietly making his assessments and noting them.

redcorner

If ETH dosent buy and install his own players, it will just be Rangnick PT2

He is dealing with a Mafia

Glorio

No I haven't? I didn't say Rashford was complaining and I didn't say Ronaldo was unhappy with ten Hag. The point about Ronaldo leaving was to highlight the leaks since.
What was the point in including Rashford's comment then? Because if anything, he's saying he's happy with ETH's methods. The premise of your post is a players vs ETH situation, which makes the inclusion of Rashford's comment misleading.

bringbackbebe

If the club/fans take the side of players, we'd have to be the stupidest people on earth repeating the same mistake 4 times over. We should shut our mouths for 3 years and wait for a transition to happen.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
We must have the most toxic fan base on whole internet, it's as shit as it can be, thought it can't any worse and here we are, new day new lows.

It's not EtH vs Players, it's EtH and players.

bringbackbebe

We must have the most toxic fan base on whole internet, it's as shit as it can be, thought it can't any worse and here we are, new day new lows.

It's not EtH vs Players, it's EtH and players.
We still have some toxicity in the dressing room that needs addressing tbh. Players are going to bring in their egos to show who's boss. Ronaldo's started that already - and a few others will carry over the trend that's been plaguing us for the previous seasons. It'll be ETH vs the players before it'll be ETH & the players.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
If the club/fans take the side of players, we'd have to be the stupidest people on earth repeating the same mistake 4 times over. We should shut our mouths for 3 years and wait for a transition to happen.
More like 1 season. He needs 2 summer windows imo

roonster09

Scout
We still have some toxicity in the dressing room that needs addressing tbh. Players are going to bring in their egos to show who's boss. Ronaldo's started that already - and a few others will carry over the trend that's been plaguing us for the previous seasons. It'll be ETH vs the players before it'll be ETH & the players.
Dressing room problems is common when results are shit, when the results are good it's all happy place.

Revaulx

I think the indications so far are that Arnold will back him over the players. They can still run to the press, but no longer to Woodward.

tidraKS

Remove Ronaldo from the team and we're good. As soon as he goes, the better it is for the team.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
The likes of Shaw,Maguire,Rashford,Sancho etc will be crying to their agents and leaking stuff by September.

ETH will be under huge pressure. He really needed to be backed in the transfer market and get rid of more of the sulkers to put down a marker.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Dressing room problems is common when results are shit, when the results are good it's all happy place.
Yeah, but to be fair last season, it wasn't exactly a normal dressing room problem. Courtesy of Ole's regime, and obviously Woodward's 10 years, we had players who pretty much called the shots.

Of course I believe all that has been reset now and Erik Ten Hag is a monumental step in the right direction. I don't anticipate any toxicity when the going gets tough this time around. Ten Hag will have none of it and I anticipate Murtough to back him in that regard. Ridding Woody+Matt Judge are huge, because a lot of deadweight players end up being negative in the dressing room.

RC89

I think him getting his own players in, who he already trusts and has the loyalty of is a big factor here.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
There is no competition to speak of. Unless you are a tabloid journalist or something.

roonster09

Scout
Yeah, but to be fair last season, it wasn't exactly a normal dressing room problem. Courtesy of Ole's regime, and obviously Woodward's 10 years, we had players who pretty much called the shots.

Of course I believe all that has been reset now and Erik Ten Hag is a monumental step in the right direction. I don't anticipate any toxicity when the going gets tough this time around. Ten Hag will have none of it and I anticipate Murtough to back him in that regard. Ridding Woody+Matt Judge are huge, because a lot of deadweight players end up being negative in the dressing room.
I don't know which player called shots. Imo these things are exaggerated when results are bad.

Hopefully EtH gets full backing and manager and players all work as one.

redshaw

I trust ETH to get the players onside and train better as a group and if there's some not liking it still they can be moved on and the club should support the manager..

bringbackbebe

By saying he wants to leave?
I'd perfectly understand him wanting to leave to play for a better club. What I don't understand is him telling people at the end of the season that he wants to stay and help United, but then reneges and becomes rouge in 2 month's time. He's playing his cards to get his way in style of play/transfers/captaincy etc knowing full well no other club will want him.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I don't know which player called shots. Imo these things are exaggerated when results are bad.

Hopefully EtH gets full backing and manager and players all work as one.
By call the shots, I mean the big players were favored (Pogba/Martial over Jose), or there was a general lack of discipline handed out to the squad which made them lazy and easy to fragment into cliques.

roonster09

Scout
By call the shots, I mean the big players were favored (Pogba/Martial over Jose), or there was a general lack of discipline handed out to the squad which made them lazy and easy to fragment into cliques.
I disagree with this but i won't add anything. I repeated same things so many times that i hate this topic.

Hopefully we won't hear anything on leaks and other stuff.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
From the tweet about Ralf recommending Ronaldo be sold in January but being overruled because fear of fan backlash then it depends on the status of the player.

If the player in question is a fan favourite, then Ten Hag will be right under the bus.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I disagree with this but i won't add anything. I repeated same things so many times that i hate this topic.

Hopefully we won't hear anything on leaks and other stuff.
I mean it's fine to disagree but its clear that there were fractures in Jose's time, and who was preferred. And it's written across many of Whitwell / Luckhurst / Mitten / Crofton's pieces that Ole's regime was way too relaxed, which just helped players do what they liked.

roonster09

Scout
I mean it's fine to disagree but its clear that there were fractures in Jose's time, and who was preferred. And it's written across many of Whitwell / Luckhurst / Mitten / Crofton's pieces that Ole's regime was way too relaxed, which just helped players do what they liked.
Rightly so. Woodward messed up so many things, getting rid of Jose was not one.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
How do you know this

TheReligion

Abusive
Perhaps I’ve misjudged the vibe of the thread. Felt it was suggesting the players are showing signs they aren’t happy with Ten Hag and are moaning whilst I’ve not seen any issues. Just positivity so far.

Amarsdd

In no way is either of them winning good for the team/club as a whole. Our hope should be that they work with each other well instead of hoping one wins out over the other.

Oranges038

It should never get to a player vs the manager stage, if that hapoens he's already lost.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Rightly so. Woodward messed up so many things, getting rid of Jose was not one.
Yeah, but bringing in Pogba in the first place was. As was a lot of other deals, and managerial signings.
The point I'm making away from individual names for a moment, is that Woodward fostered this player first outlook at the club, especially when you consider the strategy of handing contracts to bolster asset value, meant that players can do far less to earn new deals.

It really hit a low when he moved for a non-coach manager like Ole. Someone who basically doesn't want to do any coaching, because then the players were on big salaries, had a friendly manager and were being coached by Mkenna and Carrick. It was happy days for them, till results go south. Then fractures appear because they don't really have the discipline or the corrective coaching or the mentality instilled within them to dig themselves out of a hole.

I don't think that happens with ETH (or even Poch). I think if we're in a rut under those two, the coaching is better and the corrective discipline is better. Of course this is dependent on a better DoF/CEO actually backing managers over players. Whether Jose for example should have ever been manager is another debate, but he should never have been cast aside for Paul Pogba. That precedent is dangerous, especially off the back of an 81 point season. These are my thoughts, but I know you disagree specifically with that example so I get we don't need to restart it.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
Staff
It seems some people just love the negative drama. It's tedious enough to discuss this nonsense when it's actually happening without speculation.

flappyjay

but he should never have been cast aside for Paul Pogba.
Jose was cast aside because we were awful. Do you believe if we were 1st or 2nd he would have been sacked? Why does the narrative that it was Pogba or Jose still being pushed. The only mistake was made was not getting rid of Pogba the following summer. Also the weird part is the 2 guys usually blamed for his sacking were the best 2 performers in Jose's last months in charge.

laughtersassassin

I don't see this season going well at all. It's very likely we are handing ETH a squad significantly worse than this time last season.

Not sure what he is supposed to do with it personally. Backing in market needs to be much bigger

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Jose was cast aside because we were awful. Do you believe if we were 1st or 2nd he would have been sacked? Why does the narrative that it was Pogba or Jose still being pushed. The only mistake was made was not getting rid of Pogba the following summer. Also the weird part is the 2 guys usually blamed for his sacking were the best 2 performers in Jose's last months in charge.
We stopped backing him in the summer window after he took us to 81 points. And in the opening game of the new season Pogba was basically causing problems for him with the post match interview, the very first one, in a 2-1 win I think it was against Leicester.

Unclereemus

It seems some people just love the negative drama. It's tedious enough to discuss this nonsense when it's actually happening without speculation.
I think the players will unite and come together as one unit under ETH. The few who do not will be gone. I hope we fans also can unite again, and stand behind ETH, the club and the players.
We are in good hands now. ETH needs our support, and we need him to do his thing.
Start to trust the manager, the team and the players again. If we can do this success will come.
ETH will knock Liverpool and City off their f****g perch.

DavelinaJolie

I'm not sure how you draw the conclusion that feeling less restricted by Ronaldos presence not being there means less accountability? There's clearly a feeling that players need to feed Ronaldo opportunities which curbs other aspects of their play. That's not about accountability?

flappyjay

We stopped backing him in the summer window after he took us to 81 points. And in the opening game of the new season Pogba was basically causing problems for him with the post match interview, the very first one, in a 2-1 win I think it was against Leicester.
There you go, the team was trash because of poor backing and that got him sacked. Jose was not sacked for Pogba but for poor results.