Tennis 2018

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Man Himself

asked for a tagline change and all I got was this.
It was not a WUM attempt at all. I've been a die hard Nadal fan since 2006. In the 90s and early 2000s I was a Sampras fan. I started following Nadal in 2004 and really liked the way he played. I used to watch most ATP and Majors he played in. Remember watching the 2005 RG final as if it was yesterday. That summer was very enjoyable and also historic sporting wise because of the Ashes as well.

But I became a massive Nadal fan from 2006 onwards. It was great to see him improve on other surfaces and win Majors on those. The 2009 AO final was epic. Probably the greatest match I've seen, along with Wimbledon 2008. AO 2009 ranks slightly higher because that loser Federer cried a sore baby loser at the end. I started watching Noval from mid 2007. I like to see him do well, more so after he destroyed Federer in Slam finals in 2015. T'was great to see.

But Nadal will always be my favourite player.
All well and good, you can love Nadal, you can hate Federer, you can admire Novak but that doesn't make "Federer not even top 10 player" remotely close to sensible. He is ahead in GOAT argument, though not as clearly ahead as Fed fans want everyone to believe and his 3 slams in last 2 years are the edging factor. Still Nadal may have couple more years at top, Djokovic too and once all have retired, then we can see where they end up and if there is a clear cut GOAT. If there is not, we still had privilege to witness best era of men's tennis and that should be good enough for every tennis fan.

The Man Himself

I think that's ridiculous really. There's a level of prestige that may be different but they're different surfaces and different conditions etc.

I don't think you can start weighing them differently based on intangibles.
Yup. I mean my personal slam preference in terms of watching will be that one but that doesn't mean there is 'hierarchy' of slams. I know people who prefer watching USO and French to Wimbledon. That's down to personal preference. In terms of importance, all 4 matter equally.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Career totals

Finals #
1. Roger Federer 30
2. Rafael Nadal 24
3. Novak Djokovic 22
4. Ivan Lendl 19
5. Pete Sampras 18

Semifinals
#
1. Roger Federer 43
2. Novak Djokovic 32
3. Jimmy Connors 31
4. Ivan Lendl 28
Rafael Nadal

Quarterfinals #
1. Roger Federer 53
2. Jimmy Connors 41
Novak Djokovic
4. Andre Agassi 36
5. Rafael Nadal 35

Posted this last year in the other tennis thread, another reason why I think Fed is the GOAT is his unbelievable and relentless consistency. One thing getting to the top its another staying there for a long time.

Skills

Snitch
The hierarchy within Grand Slams (Wimbledon>French>US>Australian) need to be factored into these arguments. I don't think we can weight Grand Slams equally; I'm sure Djokovic, for instance, would happily trade a few of his Australians for more Wimbledons/French.
Prestige means squat all.

If youre looking at difficulty though the toughest slam to win for anyone but Nadal in this era is by far the French open. Biggest challenge in all of tennis is to win the French because it usually involves having to overcome the best single surface player in all of tennis.

That doesn't quite apply for Nadal though - toughest for him is probably Wimbledon.

saivet

I'm not sure whether to watch the 4th and 5th set of yesterday's match. Know it was great, but I'm still a bit gutted Rafa lost.

Enigma_87

You know who
Djokovic's peak was at higher level than Federer and Nadal. Absolutely amazing in 2011, 2015 and 2016 when the era was toughest. It should be obvious to anyone unbiased and who has watched tennis for last couple of decades. Elo ratings prove it too:
http://www.ultimatetennisstatistics.com/peakEloRatings

The highest mean opponent elo ratings in winning slams also unsurprisingly has Djokovic featuring the most:

http://www.ultimatetennisstatistics.com/record?recordId=HighestTitleGrandSlamOpponentEloRating

Equally unsurprising that Federer's highest mean opponent elo rating is ranked well below, with 2010 AO being the best in this regard. I mean, Fed fanbois can think of 2004-07 as toughest era with Federer beating mighty Gonzalez and Baghdatis along with whipping boy Roddick regularly but objectively speaking that doesn't hold true.
So Djokovic peak was higher than Feds yet he lost to over the hill Federer in 11’ on Federer’s worst surface - clay. Yes that makes sense :houllier:

When you consider the wank field Djokovic had to play with post 12’ yet you diss the 04-07 field it’s a bit too much IMO.

The only real competitors Djokovic had in his peak was over the hill Federer and Nadal. Even Murray was injured most of the time.

The Man Himself

So Djokovic peak was higher than Feds yet he lost to over the hill Federer in 11’ on Federer’s worst surface - clay. Yes that makes sense :houllier:

When you consider the wank field Djokovic had to play with post 12’ yet you diss the 04-07 field it’s a bit too much IMO.

The only real competitors Djokovic had in his peak was over the hill Federer and Nadal. Even Murray was injured most of the time.
You would do well to understand the methodology of Elo than come up with senseless arguments in first paragraph.

I know, I know Fed has been over the hill once he started failing often vs other two, nothing to do with him not having answers often. The field for 2012 was hardly wank. One has Stan winning 3 slams, one of which ranks highest in terms of difficulty, ever. Other era has likes of Gonzalez and Baghdatis as the cmpetitiors to Federer. Pretty obvious to anyone unbiased which ones was tougher. Elo ratings prove that.

Enigma_87

You know who
You would do well to understand the methodology of Elo than come up with senseless arguments in first paragraph.

I know, I know Fed has been over the hill once he started failing often vs other two, nothing to do with him not having answers often. The field for 2012 was hardly wank. One has Stan winning 3 slams, one of which ranks highest in terms of difficulty, ever. Other era has likes of Gonzalez and Baghdatis as the cmpetitiors to Federer. Pretty obvious to anyone unbiased which ones was tougher. Elo ratings prove that.
Elo means crap in tennis mate.

What’s the all time great Wawrinka record against Federer since you bring him up as great competition again?

The Man Himself

Elo means crap in tennis mate.

What’s the all time great Wawrinka record against Federer since you bring him up as great competition again?
Elo means more in tennis than most other sports as it is an individual sport.

If you want to put points like that across, what is GOAT Federer's record against Nadal and Novak in slams? If you have such blinkered view and want to think of Baghdatis as equal of Wawrinka as opponent, well..there is nothing much to say.

Enigma_87

You know who
Elo means more in tennis than most other sports as it is an individual sport.

If you want to put points like that across, what is GOAT Federer's record against Nadal and Novak in slams? If you have such blinkered view and want to think of Baghdatis as equal of Wawrinka as opponent, well..there is nothing much to say.
It doesn’t really work that way as tennis is much more complex in terms of matchups than other sports - it has different playing stiles, physical condition, surfaces, athmosphere conditions - wind, sun, rain, closed roof, indoors, etc.

You can’t quantify that.

Wawrinka would pose as much threat to prime Federer as those two. He didn’t against over the hill Federer either.

The Man Himself

It doesn’t really work that way as tennis is much more complex in terms of matchups than other sports - it has different playing stiles, physical condition, surfaces, athmosphere conditions - wind, sun, rain, closed roof, indoors, etc.

You can’t quantify that.

Wawrinka would pose as much threat to prime Federer as those two. He didn’t against over the hill Federer either.
It works on quality on opponent and if you are discussing goat, you need to be good on all surfaces in all conditions. Playing style, everyone chooses what is suitable to them and you choose it to win with it.

Wawrinka may not but peak Nadal and Djokovic will still have more success vs 2004-07 Federer than Federer will have against them. Lucky for him, they were just coming out of teens that time so he could stack up slams ;).

Enigma_87

You know who
It works on quality on opponent and if you are discussing goat, you need to be good on all surfaces in all conditions. Playing style, everyone chooses what is suitable to them and you choose it to win with it.

Wawrinka may not but peak Nadal and Djokovic will still have more success vs 2004-07 Federer than Federer will have against them. Lucky for him, they were just coming out of teens that time so he could stack up slams ;).
The teenage years of Nadal and Djokovic are much likelier to be better given their playing style than their late 20’s or early 30’s :) a good testimony to that is how they both slowed down at approximately the same age and amount off injuries they began to get.

The Man Himself

The teenage years of Nadal and Djokovic are much likelier to be better given their playing style than their late 20’s or early 30’s :) a good testimony to that is how they both slowed down at approximately the same age and amount off injuries they began to get.
Nope. One they weren't better and couldn't have been too. Teens is bit early imo to have that kind of consistency with that playing style. What is surprising is they still look in quite good shape. I still don't think they can last at top as long as Fed but if this Wimbledon is an indicator, they can last couple more years.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
The same site consisderes Novak's peak the best as well FWIW
Yes, he linked it to show that (I had never seen that site before). And it considers the field to be the toughest in 2015/16, which makes no sense given the level of Fed/Nadal at that time. That made me suspicious of that site.

The Man Himself

Yes, he linked it to show that (I had never seen that site before). And it considers the field to be the toughest in 2015/16, which makes no sense given the level of Fed/Nadal at that time. That made me suspicious of that site.
:lol: It is Elo ratings ffs. That site hasn't invented Elo nor have they fabricated numbers. The date has also been provided of peak Elo ratings of each player.

berbatrick

Renaissance Man
Scout
:lol: It is Elo ratings ffs. That site hasn't invented Elo nor have they fabricated numbers. The date has also been provided of peak Elo ratings of each player.
Yes I get that. I should have said, made me suspicious of the method itself since it doesn't seem to correspond with what we can see.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Don’t see a chance for Anderson in his return games. It’s typebreak or bust I think.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Too bad it isn’t Djokovic - Federer.

Anderson is no match for Djokovic. His return is too good and so is his defense against his one other weapon; his forehand.

The Man Himself

Anderson is up against the best returner in the game. He will need his service to be at levels of QF and SF or even better. One off game and Novak will break. On other hand, breaking Novak's serve won't be easy for him although he may get odd chance.

Giggsy92

Tough watch so far. Anderson already called for the trainer, hopefully he isn't forced to retire.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Pleased to see Djokovic starting so well. His return from the doldrums feels a lot more attractive a proposition than a new name on the trophy, when the new name isn't that entertaining a player. Feels wrong really, I would like to care about the underdog and all that, I just don't seem to have that reaction.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Pleased to see Djokovic starting so well. His return from the doldrums feels a lot more attractive a proposition than a new name on the trophy, when the new name isn't that entertaining a player. Feels wrong really, I would like to care about the underdog and all that, I just don't seem to have that reaction.
I feel this way too. I love a good underdog story, but the big serving giants like Anderson, Isner, Raonic etc or just so boring to watch.

Rajma

You have to feel for Anderson he must be feeling awful inside right now given the occasion, hope he shows some mental strength to come back into this and make it more competitive even if i want Novak to come out on top.

Status
Not open for further replies.