Tennis 2021

AshRK

Djoko is mentality monster. He will end up with 25 atleast.

Also, full credit to tsitsipas. He is one to look for.

Riz

That might cement him as the GOAT when all is said and done. To have won all the slams twice, having beaten Rafa and Roger on “their patches” respectively and is now odds on to eclipse them both for total titles and slams with a better head to head to boot… Hard to argue against that.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
He’s the best tennis player ever. Just needs to pass 20 grand slams to confirm it at this point.

Tsitsipas will win one eventually, he was incredible in the first two sets

Skills

Snitch
He’s the best tennis player ever. Just needs to pass 20 grand slams to confirm it at this point.

I think it was that Djokovic wasn't in it. Tsitsipas needs some work on his game - his shots don't look penetrating enough. To beat these guys in the slams you need to be able to hit winner after winner, against the angles knowing full well that Djokovic will manage to get it back in. Because as soon as Djokovic takes control of the rally, its pretty much over.

Its why Thiem has come the closest (and has a slam to his name for it)

led_scholes

I think it was that Djokovic wasn't in it. Tsitsipas needs some work on his game - his shots don't look penetrating enough. To beat these guys in the slams you need to be able to hit winner after winner, against the angles knowing full well that Djokovic will manage to get it back in. Because as soon as Djokovic takes control of the rally, its pretty much over.

Or he will win after the Holy Trinity has retired.

The Hilton

Yeah what's happened to him? I love watching him play, the power he has and his 1h backhand. After he won the slam I thought it would be a springboard to bigger things but instead he's fallen off a cliff.

saivet

Yeah what's happened to him? I love watching him play, the power he has and his 1h backhand. After he won the slam I thought it would be a springboard to bigger things but instead he's fallen off a cliff.
Injuries and he's also admitted he's struggled mentally since winning the US Open. Easy to see it as a springboard but quite often it doesn't work like that.

wr8_utd

:'(
Sums up my feelings too, but given that grass can be effectively green clay nowadays, there's a decent chance it'll be more of the same non stop grinding.
Yup can't wait for the surface where bang average players can rain down aces, have nothing in their game and still do relatively well. Can't wait!
He lost all motivation. Which just highlights the difference between the Big 3 and the rest. Winning 20 Slams and still have the motivation to win deep in their 30s.

wr8_utd

I really don't think he even needs to 20+ Slams (even though he'll easily surpass it by January) to be confirmed as the GOAT. He already owns every important record there is.

Jazz

Just in case anyone missed it. I don't like Mount.
Congrats to Novk.

Congrats to Stefanos. He acquitted himself very well on his first Grand Slam final. There will be many more finals for him and at least a few wins.

Will be a very interesting Wimbledon.

Skills

Snitch
Or he will win after the Holy Trinity has retired.
They still have (Djokovic definitely) a few years left, but you never know who's around the corner. Tsitsipas has a great shot as he's still only 22. But by 22 - Nadal was a 4x Grandslam Champion, Federer had won his 1st and Djokovic had won his 1st (with another final).

We might be overdue another prodigy - maybe not as good as the big 3, but one rung down.

LDUred

Classic rope-a-dope in a GS final from Novak; I honestly don't know how he does it so convincingly.

It must feck with players so much when they see Novak slumping around the court. He knows exactly what he's doing and it works every time. They get suckered.

The guy is incredible.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Great tournament. Some absolute cracking matches with that Nadal Nole 3rd set probably my highlight. Also great that Wimbledon is not too far away, hope we get to see Federer go deep. Wouldn't be surprised if Tsisipas is in the final of that tournament too. Then you got Zverev, Medvedev,Rublev, Musetti,Sinner all capable of beating anyone on their day. Hope Nadal doesn't withdraw.

wr8_utd

Congrats to Novk.

Congrats to Stefanos. He acquitted himself very well on his first Grand Slam final. There will be many more finals for him and at least a few wins.

Will be a very interesting Wimbledon.
Is it really, though? Djoko is a firm favorite with Federer probably right below and then Nadal. Everyone else in the Top 10 is rubbish on the surface.

wr8_utd

Great tournament. Some absolute cracking matches with that Nadal Nole 3rd set probably my highlight. Also great that Wimbledon is not too far away, hope we get to see Federer go deep. Wouldn't be surprised if Tsisipas is in the final of that tournament too. Then you got Zverev, Medvedev,Rublev, Musetti,Sinner all capable of beating anyone on their day. Hope Nadal doesn't withdraw.
The guy has a 8-7 career record on grass and has never gone past R4 at Wimbledon. Last time he was there, he lost in R1 to some random Italian. The guy, much like all of the Next Gen, is awful on grass.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
The guy has a 8-7 career record on grass and has never gone past R4 at Wimbledon. Last time he was there, he lost in R1 to some random Italian. The guy, much like all of the Next Gen, is awful on grass.
You might be right but lets wait and see. I like the tennis games of all the guys I mentioned. If they serve well that week they have a chance I reckon. I also think this French open actually takes a toll on Djokovic mentally, I don't think he does the calender slam. He would be my pick to win the US open though.

VP

Yup can't wait for the surface where bang average players can rain down aces, have nothing in their game and still do relatively well. Can't wait!
Here we go again. I'd take that over bang average players moonballing and grinding their way to success on dirt.

Hyperbole aside, if you've ever played tennis, you'd know that grass requires serious skill. And it's a shame that the grass court season is non existent.

wr8_utd

You might be right but lets wait and see. I like the tennis games of all the guys I mentioned. If they serve well that week they have a chance I reckon. I also think this French open actually takes a toll on Djokovic mentally, I don't think he does the calender slam. He would be my pick to win the US open though.
This may be true but just the complete lack of competition on grass means he's only going to need to step it up in one match vs Federer.

wr8_utd

Here we go again. I'd take that over bang average players moonballing and grinding their way to success on dirt.

Hyperbole aside, if you've ever played tennis, you'd know that grass requires serious skill. And it's a shame that the grass court season is non existent.
What bang average players moon ball their way to success though? It's a really difficult Slam to win. Just ask Federer.
Anyway, I don't believe you require lesser skill to play on grass but the whole big serve +1 shot to finish points really quickly? I find that a lot more boring than actually watching point construction and long rallies on clay and even hards.

Raoul

Admin
Staff

I've played a fair bit of tennis at the youth level. Grass was always the trickiest surface because its hard to get a consistent feel for how the ball will bounce, especially if you came up on Hard or Clay.

Clay was always more fun to play on because you could slide around a bit.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
What bang average players moon ball their way to success though? It's a really difficult Slam to win. Just ask Federer.
Anyway, I don't believe you require lesser skill to play on grass but the whole big serve +1 shot to finish points really quickly? I find that a lot more boring than actually watching point construction and long rallies on clay and even hards.
Grass has long moved away from big serve and volley over the last 20 years. Being that Wimbledon is still the only slam on the surface, the skill is being able to adapt to a fast surface that deteriorates over the tournament.
When the Aussie and US opens moved to artificial surfaces it wasn’t anything to do with it being a boring/ short rally surface it was a combination of many things.
I’m personally glad that we now have varying surfaces to prove how good you are but still very pleased despite pressure that Wimbledon retains the classic surface

VP

Look at the list of French open winners pre Rafa. Plenty of players there who struggled on faster surfaces.

Wimbledon has barely been like that in years now. With the slowing grass, better rackets and fitter players, it plays like a faster indoor court where you can have plenty of point construction along with net play. It's the greater variety of points which I enjoy. It's also why I feel the 08 Wimbledon final remains the greatest match in the modern era - the surface played a part.

Inigo Montoya

This may be true but just the complete lack of competition on grass means he's only going to need to step it up in one match vs Federer.
I do feel that a lot of players can beat the best on grass. It explains why we’ve had major upsets from lower ranked players over the years.
It always is some feat to win in Paris then adapt to grass in such a short time

Inigo Montoya

Look at the list of French open winners pre Rafa. Plenty of players there who struggled on faster surfaces.

Wimbledon has barely been like that in years now. With the slowing grass, better rackets and fitter players, it plays like a faster indoor court where you can have plenty of point construction along with net play. It's the greater variety of points which I enjoy. It's also why I feel the 08 Wimbledon final remains the greatest match in the modern era - the surface played a part.
The 08 final was the greatest match ever. It was akin to the Ali/ Frazier Thriller in Manila. I’m not sure Rafa ever recovered. I don’t think he’s won Wimbledon since has he?

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
It's a bit bizarre how you guys can't accept that people might not enjoy watching Djokovic.

It reminds me a bit of the Chelsea fans on here defending their most recent title winning team under Jose, and why it was actually really attacking football and everyone who thought otherwise was wrong, blind, stupid, biased, etc.

The thing everybody forgets when having this debate, usually due to being partisan, is that style, greatness, and entertainment factor is subjective, and not everybody enjoys the same thing.
it is moronic to find Djokovic not aesthetically pleasing, the shot making he has in his Arsenal is second to none. People acting like he’s the Atletico madrid of tennis are laughable.

saivet

The 08 final was the greatest match ever. It was akin to the Ali/ Frazier Thriller in Manila. I’m not sure Rafa ever recovered. I don’t think he’s won Wimbledon since has he?
Nadal won it in 2010, beating Berdych in the final.

Interesting how he made every Wimbledon final between 2006 and 2011 (didn't play in 2009) and hasn't made one since

Skills

Snitch
Won it again in 2010. Hasn't made a final since 2011 though.

But I think i rank the 2009 Australian Open final over Wimbledon 2008.

AshRK

it is moronic to find Djokovic not aesthetically pleasing, the shot making he has in his Arsenal is second to none. People acting like he’s the Atletico madrid of tennis are laughable.
Yes it is quite funny when people say that considering Nole's matches are always exciting.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Djokovic just solidified himself as the GOAT although it’s been known for years. Another GOAT comeback

Inigo Montoya

Yes it is quite funny when people say that considering Nole's matches are always exciting.
It’s subjective surely. What’s your definition of aesthetically pleasing in sport/ art/ dance?
Everyone’s different

saivet

Ok , was that against a much lower ranked player? I can’t for the life of me remember it
Yeah Berdych, though at the time he was pretty good. Believe he beat both Federer and Djokovic to make the final, with Nadal beating Murray in the SF.