Tennis 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zen

Murray still a bit petulant, as if he felt someone else can't raise their game against him it seems - Isner was absurdly great, his serve even for his standards, was spot on, and some great little play around the court.

Murray looks reasonably decent to be fair, so see him hanging around, he didn't leave like a man thinking of not returning anyway. Straight out, I'll be back next year.

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Did he end with 35 aces? So almost 9 games worth of aces and that's not including unreturned serves. Insane.

The Cat

Will drink milk from your hands
Murray still a bit petulant, as if he felt someone else can't raise their game against him it seems - Isner was absurdly great, his serve even for his standards, was spot on, and some great little play around the court.

Murray looks reasonably decent to be fair, so see him hanging around, he didn't leave like a man thinking of not returning anyway. Straight out, I'll be back next year.
Hes gone through far too much not to pick his tournaments for another year or two. He wont win a slam again the young uns will get him now but hes been through hell to get back so fair play to him.

saivet

fecker also had a long semi in 2018. He’s the sole reason they now have super tiebreaks in the final set.
That 2018 SF was ridiculous and boring as feck given Anderson is a big server too. Feckers played so long, Nadal - Djokovic start so late it was 10pm and started under the roof.

Zen

Hes gone through far too much not to pick his tournaments for another year or two. He wont win a slam again the young uns will get him now but hes been through hell to get back so fair play to him.
Can't wait until they fix the inevitable Federer-Murray 2nd Round match next year for one of them to lost in the first.

Brophs

The One and Only

It’s starting to look like Covid is really rattling around the locker room and it’s the unlucky ones who have symptoms, or are honest enough to admit it, who are getting stung.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Hoping Djokovic pulls out with Covid just for the irony.

RORY65

He would probably just keep playing if he got it anyway, he was doing media stuff knowing that he had it before. Plus according to Alize Cornet it was pretty widespread in the locker rooms at Roland Garros but players kept it quiet.

Brophs

The One and Only
He’ll be printing this out and putting it on the dressing wall for motivation. Which will be a bit weird as it’s a shared dressing room and it’ll just be people looking at him screaming at his poster but still. feck the haterz.

saivet

Rafa took the first set but it was pretty mediocre stuff from both Nadal and Berankis. All part of the process, so not a major concern but he needs to up his level. Given his potential draw is now missing Cilic or FAA on the way to the SF's you'd think he'll probably be okay until that point.

Bole Top

it's already safe to say this will be the most underwhelming GS this year and one of the worst Wimbledons ever with very few interesting matches between top players. simply too many injured/sick and suspended players. as I'm typing this, Shapo looks to be going out as well.

NieThePiet

Supports
Werder Bremen, Arsenal
Looks like Igas streak could end today.

She isn't the same player on grass

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Agree that this might be the lowest quality slam in terms of tennis for a while. Nobody except Nick seems to be playing well.

MattofManchester

Hoping Nadal can peak in the second week, but signs don't look good. Doesn't seem to have any purchase on his groundstrokes, and he's either missing quite wildly or playing too defensively.

Hoping for better if he gets through.

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Nadal showing glimpses of his quality even though he hasn't been as good as usual, I'm guessing probably not playing on grass for years is playing a role in that, hopefully once he reaches qf/sf he'll be playing at his best.

saivet

Hoping Nadal can peak in the second week, but signs don't look good. Doesn't seem to have any purchase on his groundstrokes, and he's either missing quite wildly or playing too defensively.

Hoping for better if he gets through.
I think his level will improve but I think he has to increase it significantly. I think he also needs to play better opponents or guys playing at a high level to force it out of him too.

LDUred

Career high for Broady. Not getting any ranking points is harsh, but he is in the 3rd round of Wimbledon.

Showed some real nerve there against a seeded and experienced opponent.

Brophs

The One and Only
Career high for Broady. Not getting any ranking points is harsh, but he is in the 3rd round of Wimbledon.

Showed some real nerve there against a seeded and experienced opponent.
He was on the Tennis Podcast during lockdown and was pretty frank about stuff like money etc. £120k for reaching the 3rd round is a massive win for him, even if he goes out now.

Ramos

1/4 of the players in the third round on the men's side are American (8 out of 32).

Has to be a long time since that has happened.

Brophs

The One and Only
Some good stories in the draw today. Jack Sock looking like the old days. Broady doing in Schwartzman. Boulter beating the ever-underwhelming Pliskova. van de Zandschlup low key making himself look like a top 10 contender. Tan going another round.

wr8_utd

:'(
Rafa isn't close to the level required right now and given his draw, I'm not sure there's anyone who will even make him play his very best tennis. Shapo was one of the last remaining big threats left and now there's just Nick/Tsitsipas in the semis. Think Novak will win this Slam fairly easily.

Brophs

The One and Only
Sakkari out in R3. She must have almost more scar tissue than any other player of her age. You can see that every decision absolutely tortures her for fear it'll go wrong.

Ibi Dreams

If he serves like this Kyrgios could win his first slam.
He's always been able to play that level, he just can't do it with the required consistency and temperament. I really hope he does well though, and with lots of strong players already out I think he could go far

syrian_scholes

Honorary Straw Hat
Rafa isn't close to the level required right now and given his draw, I'm not sure there's anyone who will even make him play his very best tennis. Shapo was one of the last remaining big threats left and now there's just Nick/Tsitsipas in the semis. Think Novak will win this Slam fairly easily.
Novak is looking good but I won't count out Alcaraz just yet.

wr8_utd

:'(
Novak is looking good but I won't count out Alcaraz just yet.
It feels like that shot Alcaraz hit in the 4th set TB in the 1st round might just be a huge moment in this tournament because he's just grown in leaps and bounds since then as he's gotten used to the surface. He might not have the game to beat Novak on grass but unlike almost all the of the rest of the field, the guy feels like he's mentally tough so could be an interesting match if they both make it.

Brophs

The One and Only
There's not another player in the draw capable of playing grass court tennis at the level Djokovic is at. The field needs him to come back to them or this will be a procession.

Zen

Djokovic has to win it.... otherwise Nadal's doing what he couldn't, and winning the Grand Slam, nailed on if Novak flops here.

Status
Not open for further replies.