Tennis 2024

jem

@Zen and again, what was the" find attractive" nonsense you wrote ?
It's amazing how you refuse to elaborate on something that you made a point of bringing up. Again, why do you feel Dimitrov having a succession of relationships (hardly uncommon for something to go through in their mid-to-late 20s) has contributed to his underachieving?

Brophs

The One and Only
If I was Grigior Dimitrov my longest ever relationship would be about 3 & 1/2 minutes.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
If I was Grigior Dimitrov my longest ever relationship would be about 3 & 1/2 minutes.
You'd be a professional tennis player so probably more like 3 and 1/2 hours to be fair

Anyways, the performance against Alcaraz was once in several lifetimes stuff(and as for GS, he'd have lost that game in best of 5 anyways), he basically turned into Federer that game. He's back to a great level but he only really beat Zverev because he's a Loser, the spurs of tennis. Jannik is going to crush him now

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Looking like it so far, the first set wasn’t particularly competitive.
He either has another Federer performance in him or he has to hope Sinner's serve deserts him. Otherwise there's just too great a difference. Can't win a game where you have to pull off half miracles just to win a point

Duafc

Village Lemon
Yeah he looks fairly hopeless, playing at a very decent level tonight and Sinner not really fazed.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Sinner has ascended. At least on these hardcourts - bar Indian Wells superslow surface - only a focused Djokovic is beating him right now

Now that is just mean. And absurd

Twins

"Everybody loves a golden shower"
He either has another Federer performance in him or he has to hope Sinner's serve deserts him. Otherwise there's just too great a difference. Can't win a game where you have to pull off half miracles just to win a point
Maybe Dimitrov could break up with his girlfriend right now, that should raise his level as well.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
And that's that. Sinner the greatest italian alive

Fobal

Supports
Liverpool
Sinner, Carlos, such a great duo for years to come

wr8_utd

:'(
As expected, Nadal pulls out of Monte Carlo. I really feel like Roland Garros is where he'll play, even if unfit, and retire. His career is ending the way Federers did. Multiple attempts to get back but the body just won't listen.

Jev

As expected, Nadal pulls out of Monte Carlo. I really feel like Roland Garros is where he'll play, even if unfit, and retire. His career is ending the way Federers did. Multiple attempts to get back but the body just won't listen.
It’s a real shame. Not even sure he’ll do RG at this stage, doubt he’d play if he doesn’t believe he can compete.

saivet

It’s a real shame. Not even sure he’ll do RG at this stage, doubt he’d play if he doesn’t believe he can compete.
Best out of 5 sets too, if he doesn't play one or two tournaments before RG, I'm not sure he'll bother playing only to take part. He has said that he might not play again. If he can nab his way into a Spain doubles team, could see the Olympics being his only appearance.

Supports
Barcelona
Not enough Tennis fans on this forum, eh?

Monte Carlo masters commenced. Sinner looks comfortable on clay too, demolished Korda 6-1, 6-2.

Novak played brilliantly as well; a tournament where he struggled in recent years.

Defending champion Rublev already out. He has been subpar for the last couple of months.

Jev

Rune and Dimitrov just played one of the matches of the season, really high quality and full of twists and turns over three and a half hours (with both having played half a match earlier in the day).

It’s all set for Sinner, though. He’ll face a completely knackered Rune tomorrow, and Zverev and Meddy are both out of his half of the draw. Djokovic didn’t look in a condition to beat Sinner in a final provided he gets that far (I don’t think he will).

mav_9me

It's going to take an exceptional level to beat sinner. Other than Djokovic don't see anyone capable.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Rune is playing out of his mind though. Bit worried here

saivet

Assuming Ruud beats Humbert, it will be interest to see how he fares against Djokovic, likewise Tsitsipas vs Sinner. I think if either get to the final or win the title it would be a real statement and make things more interesting going into RG.

One Night Only

Prison Bitch #24604
Why do some many players want to be like McEnroe ? Being absolute waster dickheads to umpires and match officials with zero respect. Yet whenever it goes in their favour their isn't a peep from them. Absolute bellends.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
Ruud with his first win against Djokovic.
Good chance to win his first "proper" tournament

Eric_the_Red99

Raducanu looked very good in GB's win against France in the Billie Jean King Cup, winning both her matches against decent opposition on clay. Maybe the best she's played since winning the US Open.

She may never win another slam, or come close to winning one, ever again, but there's clearly still a very good player in there - if she could only go more than a couple of months without getting injured or changing her coach or whatever.

Jev

Ruud with his first win against Djokovic.
Good chance to win his first "proper" tournament
Yeah, think he’ll win tomorrow but should be a good final. Impressive from both him and Tsitsipas today, and fun with a different final. I’m really starting to doubt whether Djokovic will win another Slam, it’s been a while now with him looking past his peak.

Godfather

So Ruud with another final loss. Have to say that Tsitsipas played an absolute blinder during this tournament. Well deserved

saivet

Anyone watch Rafa's return?

I only caught some of the 2nd set which he looked to be a bit rusty. Sounded like a decent performance given the circumstances but I think the De Minaur match will give a better indication of what to expect if he can remain fit.

MattofManchester

Anyone watch Rafa's return?

I only caught some of the 2nd set which he looked to be a bit rusty. Sounded like a decent performance given the circumstances but I think the De Minaur match will give a better indication of what to expect if he can remain fit.
Saw a bit of it. Rusty sure. But he seems to have lost a bit of power. Didn't look like he could generate the usual velocity on his shots as he could before. Could be rust though, as you said.

Most notably, I feel like his athleticism looks a shadow of itself. It's too be expected, but I don't think it was ever this bad previously. He looks way slower, not just in speed, but in movement.

I honestly am just happy to have him back. Don't really care if he wins. Just as long as he sees himself to retirement without another major injury,

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
Think Rafa has done okay against De Minaur to be fair.

De Minaur in very good form

Jev

He was striking the ball well and forcefully with his forehand in particular during the first set. But he looks a lot slower at getting around the pitch, which was always such a big part of his game, and his serve badly lacks power. I think it’s hard to see him as a title contender at Roland Garros.

saivet

Saw a bit of it. Rusty sure. But he seems to have lost a bit of power. Didn't look like he could generate the usual velocity on his shots as he could before. Could be rust though, as you said.

Most notably, I feel like his athleticism looks a shadow of itself. It's too be expected, but I don't think it was ever this bad previously. He looks way slower, not just in speed, but in movement.

I honestly am just happy to have him back. Don't really care if he wins. Just as long as he sees himself to retirement without another major injury,
Same - I do hope he gets a big win or big match where he competes well at the very least.

He was striking the ball well and forcefully with his forehand in particular during the first set. But he looks a lot slower at getting around the pitch, which was always such a big part of his game, and his serve badly lacks power. I think it’s hard to see him as a title contender at Roland Garros.
The talk was he was touch and go to play in Barcelona due to his back and not being able to serve as he would like to.

Agree regarding Roland Garros. For him to go deep at RG, you'd think he will need to have a strong performance at one of Madrid or Rome and that will require him having a favourable draw.

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
Great rematch going on in the Barcelona final between Ruud and Tsitsipas. Best tennis match I have seen in awhile

saivet

Quite amazing that Ruud has only won ATP 250's. Win today and this will be his first ATP 500 title, the biggest of his career.

ScholesyTheWise

Not enough Tennis fans on this forum, eh?

Monte Carlo masters commenced. Sinner looks comfortable on clay too, demolished Korda 6-1, 6-2.

Novak played brilliantly as well; a tournament where he struggled in recent years.

Defending champion Rublev already out. He has been subpar for the last couple of months.
I really can't get over the fact that Federer and Nadal (of which I was a huge fan growing up) are retired.
Going a bit over the top here, but for me it's a bit like United and Liverpool ceasing to exist and getting replaced by 2 random championship teams in the PL.

Football would still be my favorite sport in such a scenario, but I wouldn't care less about who wins what, and would barely watch any live game.

I'm an idiot, basically.

People probably felt similar feelings when all the big names of the 90s called it a day, or even players like Safin, Roddick or Hewitt.

saivet

Nadal's also confirmed to play at the Laver Cup.

If he doesn't play RG, it would be a shock to see him play a few weeks later at Wimbledon.

It seems like his main hope is to play at the Olympics. I'm not sure of the qualification rules but my suspicion is that they'll do all they can to have him and Alcaraz play doubles together at the Olympics if he's still not in a place to play singles.

MattofManchester

It's the end for Rafa. That presser was pretty tough to watch because he looks depressed.

He's probably the most likely to pull off a miracle, but I don't see it.

He looks like someone slowly beginning to realise he won't be able to compete at the level he aspires to, no matter how hard he works. The body won't let him.

If he doesn't make it to Roland Garros, and is not ready beyond that, I can see him pulling out of the Olympics to give way to someone more competitive.

Was hoping he'd at least get to go out on his own terms, but it seems very, very unlikely.

MattofManchester

Garbine Muguruza retired as well, it seems.

Had such a bright start to her career. Seemed to fall out of love with tennis. Struggled mentally quite a lot towards the end.