Tennis 2024

Brophs

The One and Only
Medvedev is cranky. And not cranky like when he offered out all of New York in a funny way. More cranky in that I could see him doing something mental like accusing Alacaraz’s mum of sliding into his DMs.

Brophs

The One and Only
Medvedev is cranky. And not cranky like when he offered out all of New York in a funny way. More cranky in that I could see him doing something mental like accusing Alacaraz’s mum of sliding into his DMs.
Not quite. But he did thank the tournament saying “even if it’s tough to play here, the balls, the courts, but I’ll come back next year and we can improve together” and then thanked all of the supporters “but especially the people from the previous matches, when it was very respectful”.

Last edited:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Medvedev really really really lacks the skillset to beat Alcaraz. Either the latter is off form, or there's no contest. He's like an amphibian apex predator looking at the first dinosaur apex predators. He's fecked, evolution didn't give him an out. He can't compete, and he knows it

Duafc

Village Lemon
It’s tough for him, won a slam, won like 20 plus events? Decent amount of 1000s but may well be the guy who was second fiddle to Rafa/Djoko and now second fiddle to Carlos/Sinner. Obviously losing 5/6 slam finals, especially with his leads is tough but none were totally embarrassing and Rafa/Djoko and Sinner (after record number of hours on court in a slam) are decent names!

He’s a better player than one slam I think and has had a great career, still just 27. Odd style and an odd bloke but tactically fantastic and an absolute wall.

I really like him as a personality but don’t love watching him and rarely root for him though :lol:

Quality from Carlos given the ankle issue a month ago and his form since Wimbledon, semi was huge for his season.

Suedesi

Not quite. But he did thank the tournament saying “even if it’s tough to play here, the balls, the courts, but I’ll come back next year and we can improve together” and then thanked all of the supporters “but especially the people from the previous matches, when it was very respectful”.
The American fans can be obnoxious, especially when there's an American player involved. Add here the Indian Wells crowd which is super annoying to begin with and I can see why Daniil was miffed

Suedesi

Incident here for people that missed it.

Looks like an overreaction by Djokovic. Nardi clearly thinks it's going out and processes this late, hence the weird shot selection.
That incident occurred in the second set, which Joker won. He then mouthed off about the incident after the third set, which he lost, meaning that thing had bothered him all game long. Completely bizarre overreaction

saivet

Not directly tennis news but this is really sad for Sabalenka.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Yeah pretty brutal, he featured in her Break Point episodes. Any word on how he died?

saivet

Detached blood clot according to Belarusian media.
Just read a report where the police are suggesting it is suicide and that he jumped from the balcony of a hotel.

Sabalenka is apparently going to still play in Miami but not do press.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Shelton is exhilarating. And if he wins this he plays Alcaraz and we might actually get to see a tennis ball explode. Literally

LDUred

You have to wonder what Murray is gaining at this point by carrying on and if it is due to regret, having built up an unfortunate losing record in slam finals.

Someone needs to quietly talk to him and advise him against returning from this latest setback.

I'm a big fan of Murray and yes he can still beat good players off one leg but that inevitably leads to other joints breaking down through increased wear. He's won three slams, two gold medals, and held the number 1 spot for a time, and won plenty of career titles. There's a huge role out there for him, surely.

Last edited:

Amir

You have to wonder what Murray is gaining at this point by carrying on and if it is due to regret, having built up an unfortunate losing record in slam finals.

Someone needs to quietly talk to him and advise him against returning from this latest setback.

I'm a big fan of Murray and yes he can still beat good players off one leg but that inevitably leads to other joints breaking down through increased wear. He's won three slams, two gold medals, and held the number 1 spot for a time, and won plenty of career titles. There's a huge role out there for him, surely.
There will be a point when he physically can't play tennis at this level. If he loves the game so much he wants to do it for as long as he can, I don't see what anyone should have an issue with it. It's his own career, own life, own body, and will be his own regrets if he ends up feeling he walked away too soon.

And I'm saying also as a big Murray fan who feels it's a little painful to see him suffering disappointments.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
How many slams do people reckon Murray would have won without the big 3?

LDUred

There will be a point when he physically can't play tennis at this level. If he loves the game so much he wants to do it for as long as he can, I don't see what anyone should have an issue with it. It's his own career, own life, own body, and will be his own regrets if he ends up feeling he walked away too soon.

And I'm saying also as a big Murray fan who feels it's a little painful to see him suffering disappointments.
Fair points made there. He played pretty well in Miami and he can still beat players performing on tour. The injury he has got now though is something he will have to take time with.

How many slams do people reckon Murray would have won without the big 3?
It is hard to say really. Murray seemed to get far into nearly every slam for an extended period and took more wins off the big three them than anyone (30).

There have been other good players around like Del Potro, Wawrinka, Ferrer, Cilic, etc but Murray would have probably got four or five more slams to his name just for the relentless consistency and toughness he had in slams. Always felt Murray was excellent in Australia but Novak was practically unbeatable there for a long while.

Last edited:

Jev

It is hard to say really. Murray seemed to get far into nearly every slam for an extended period and took more wins off the big three them than anyone (30). He was exceptionally consistent.

There have been other good players around like Del Potro, Wawrinka, etc but Murray would have probably got four or five more slams to his name just because of the consistency he had in slams.
I mean he has lost seven Grand Slam finals to the big three. He would have had more than that.

gajender

I mean he has lost seven Grand Slam finals to the big three. He would have had more than that.
You can't be sure of that it's an exercise in futility to be honest and it's not given Murray would have been the only one to benefit due to their absence whole landscape would have been different .

jem

You have to wonder how Dimitrov has never won a slam. Just beautiful tennis to watch.

Jev

Really good final between Rune and Dimitrov in Brisbane. Very few errors and great quality on both sides of the net. Will be interesting to follow Dimitrov this season. There were good signs from him last year as well. I could see him being a top-8 player this year.
Called it.

Well, I didn’t call that.

jem

Called it.

Well, I didn’t call that.
I'm so curious to know why it hasn't quite worked out for him - he's obviously got the talent as well as a great attitude. Have injuries been a problem? He's just never really kicked since winning the ATP Finals in 2017.

Jev

I'm so curious to know why it hasn't quite worked out for him - he's obviously got the talent as well as a great attitude. Have injuries been a problem? He's just never really kicked since winning the ATP Finals in 2017.
He’s had quite a few injuries but not enough to say that’s the reason. I think for many years he wasn’t quite there physically or, particularly, mentally. As for his game, it’s often been said that he lacked a true weapon despite having a great all round game, and that his returns were too sketchy. He seems to be a lot stronger mentally now in the latter stages of his career, and when it all comes together like yesterday, his game is beautiful and devastating at the same time. He needs to be aggressive like yesterday, too often he stays far behind his baseline without taking the initiative (and he’s not a good defensive player).

Last edited:

jem

He’s had quite a few injuries but not enough to say that’s the reason. I think for many years he wasn’t quite there physically or, particularly, mentally. As for his game, it’s often been said that he lacked a true weapon despite having a great all round game, and that his returns were too sketchy. He seems to be a lot stronger mentally now in the latter stages of his career, and when it all comes together like yesterday, his game is beautiful and devastating at the same time. He needs to be aggressive like yesterday, too often he stays far behind his baseline without taking the initiative (and he’s not a good defensive player).
Cheers! Really hope he can sustain this run. Comes across as a ridiculously nice guy as well.

saivet

He simply can never focus 100% on his Tennis. Too many off court distractions.
I think that's a bit unfair, I think for him it's been a combination of injuries, mentality and not quite being as good enough to win slams. I've never gone into a slam thinking Dimitrov is a real contender and he's let himself down hugely. I think he's had a respectable career, all in all.

Zen

Everyone on tour has had girlfriends/wife.... I think he wants to more specifics as to why this is considered a problem that's exclusive to Dimitrov? Because you find them attractive? Or something else?

saivet

I think the criticism of Tsitsipas and Badosa's relationship is also overstated in his decline. The idea that a player being in a relationship is a huge distraction doesn't make much sense to me. Sure it's cringe, but Tsitsipas was cringe before Badosa too.

You won't find many saying if Boulter and de Minaur weren't together, they would both be doing better.

jem

I think the criticism of Tsitsipas and Badosa's relationship is also overstated in his decline. The idea that a player being in a relationship is a huge distraction doesn't make much sense to me. Sure it's cringe, but Tsitsipas was cringe before Badosa too.

You won't find many saying if Boulter and de Minaur weren't together, they would both be doing better.
Yeah I don't think it's about Badosa; I think it's about the weird coaching dynamic he has with his dad as well as a lot of social media activity (seems like he desires to be an influencer). However, I really think if Tsitsipas sorted out his coaching/family issue, he'd likely get back on track.

jem

Everyone on tour has had girlfriends/wife.... I think he wants to more specifics as to why this is considered a problem that's exclusive to Dimitrov? Because you find them attractive? Or something else?
Yeah there's a weird incel tone to such claims.

Brophs

The One and Only

Aye. Tsitsipas’ decline had started long before Badosa and he were a thing. I’d be looking much closer to home for the root of his issues.

saivet

Yeah I don't think it's about Badosa; I think it's about the weird coaching dynamic he has with his dad as well as a lot of social media activity (seems like he desires to be an influencer). However, I really think if Tsitsipas sorted out his coaching/family issue, he'd likely get back on track.
Yeah odd dynamic that isn't that uncommon in tennis unfortunately. Rune and his mum seems like a bizarre dynamic too.

I tend to agree but I think his game has stagnated to a point where I think he can get back into the top 5 and have a good career but winning a grand slam will be tough.

The Firestarter

What?