Tennis 2024

Skills

Snitch
Carlos needs to develop his game again now. Rafa, Djokovic and Federer never stayed still and always added more to their arsenal throughout their career.

saivet

Yeah there's no chance he manages the nerves of a Slam final and that too vs someone like Novak. Sinner is honestly the only who has any chance and who has seemed the least unfazed off late.
Sinner needs to do it in a Slam for me to be fully convinced. His two performances against Novak at Wimbledon were a bit disappointing for different reasons. After going 2 set ups in 2022, he just faded away and was a non-factor in any of final 3 sets (Zverev did similar in the RG final vs Djokovic) and last year he was extremely disappointing losing in straight sets.

Sinner has generally performed well at the slams and now on the tour but Zverev and Tsitsipas at one stage also performed well without taking that next step. I think he has the game and I think mentally he will get there but I wouldn't be all that surprised is Novak takes it up a notch and beats him in 3 tight but comfortable straight sets.

Suedesi

Did not expect the Zverev result, but it sets up an intriguing match with his nemesis.
Normally, I'd fully back Medvedev, but Zverev is playing the tennis of his life.

The other appears straight forwards, Djoker in 4 (despite SInner beating him earlier in Turin).

Djoker vs Zverev in the final?

saivet

Anyone planning to get up early to watch Sinner vs Djokovic? Depending on if I get to bed early enough think I'll set an alarm for either 4am or 5am. May even use it as an opportunity to do some work too, so I can finish earlier on a Friday.

Duafc

Village Lemon
Anyone planning to get up early to watch Sinner vs Djokovic? Depending on if I get to bed early enough think I'll set an alarm for either 4am or 5am. May even use it as an opportunity to do some work too, so I can finish earlier on a Friday.
feck to the no but it is a shame.

Suedesi

I plan to stay late to watch that, but the more intriguing match will be Zverev v Medvedev. It's been a while since I pulled an all nighter ha

wr8_utd

:'(
Sinner was always going to be the big test but you still think Novak wins this in 4 even after this set.

saivet

Well I wasn't expecting to wake up and it be 6-1, 6-2 to Sinner.

Djokovic hasn't had a break point either.

Suedesi

Djoker is going to talk to himself in the mirror for a few minutes and turn this around.

Really poor today, reminds me of the U.S. Open loss to Medvedev a few years ago

saivet

Djokovic starting to play well now, Sinner will need to earn this win in a tough set. Interested to see how he copes as the pressure will be on.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
As much as Nole isn't playing well think this has something of the wimbledon final loss to Alcaraz too, just Sinner playing at such a ridiculous level even Djokovic is making more mistakes than usual because he feels he has to force winners

Mind you, I still expect Djokovic to raise his level further and force a 5th set. That's where we'll see the truth of Sinner

MattofManchester

Time for Sinner to prove he has actually progressed beyond the player he was the last time this happened.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Time for Sinner to prove he has actually progressed beyond the player he was the last time this happened.
Big difference this time around though. That time was Djokovic figuring him out and solving him in real time, once that happened those 3 sets were uncompetitive. This was a very competitive set, just a case of Djokovic playing better in a couple points. Still feels like Djokovic needs to just play his absolute best tennis to pull this off yet

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Djokovic looking old. Never seen Djokovic look old before

Jev

Zero breakpoints for Djokovic in four and a half set while Sinner has four breaks and ten break points. When was the last time Djokovic was outplayed like this?

It's funny, a year ago I had Sinner behind Rune and Alcaraz. Now he looks like the one who will go on to dominate most consistently.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
That should be it. Can't play this badly and still win. Sinner is serving too well. Hope he goes on and wins it now.

MattofManchester

Big difference this time around though. That time was Djokovic figuring him out and solving him in real time, once that happened those 3 sets were uncompetitive. This was a very competitive set, just a case of Djokovic playing better in a couple points. Still feels like Djokovic needs to just play his absolute best tennis to pull this off yet
I don't know. I feel like I've seen this all before.

Opposition player dominates for two sets before falling off over time, while Novak grows into the match. It's more to do with Sinner's mental strength than anything else.

Having said that, Djokovic just handed him a break.

saivet

Zero breakpoints for Djokovic in four and a half set while Sinner has four breaks and ten break points. When was the last time Djokovic was outplayed like this?

It's funny, a year ago I had Sinner behind Rune and Alcaraz. Now he looks like the one who will go on to dominate most consistently.
Closest I can think of is Nadal in the RG final in 2020.

Medvedev beat him pretty comfortably in the 2021 US Open final but that was a comfortable win, rather than a trouncing I would say.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah so losing the tie-break turned Sinner into a Kaiju :lol:

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Very impressed with Sinner. Doesn't look fased at all by that 3rd set.

Still hope my boy Medvedev goes all the way though.

saivet

Seen a stat that Djokovic has never played a completed Grand Slam match without having a break point. He may well get one here though..

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Seen a stat that Djokovic has never played a completed Grand Slam match without having a break point. He may well get one here though..
Wow really? That's some stat after such a long career to lose.

wr8_utd

Hope Sinner holds his nerve. And serve. If he's broken here it's over.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Well he has to win the tournament now. Like you can't beat Djokovic like this and then fail to win the AO. Should be illegal or something i think

wr8_utd

Well he has to win the tournament now. Like you can't beat Djokovic like this and then fail to win the AO. Should be illegal or something i think
I just don't see him losing to Medvedev now. But Medvedev will certainly think now he has SOME chance at least.