Tennis 2024

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Didn't expect this after that Tiebreak. Though it's not like Sinner bottled the 3rd, Djokovic just stepped up.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Great performance by Sinner. Djokavic way off the pace in the first couple of sets but we've seen slow starts from him a couple of times this past week or so. The fourth set after the tiebreak Sinner stuck with it and that's great for him.

Not sure what the brief medical timeout on the third set for Novak was about - maybe we'll hear more on that later. Something a bit off maybe?

MattofManchester

Really has to win the event now. You've taken out the big guy. Now it's time for you to become one.

Medvedev or Zverev winning now would be really underwhelming.

saivet

Looked up the H2H for Sinner.

Sinner 1-4 Zverev (his only win was at RG 2020)

They've played twice at the US Open with Zverev winning both but it took him 5 sets last year.

Sinner 3-6 Medvedev

Sinner has won the last 3 matches which were very recent (after the US Open last year).

I would still fancy him to win the final against both but he could easily lose to either.

wr8_utd

:'(

They've played twice at the US Open with Zverev winning both but it took him 5 sets last year.

Sinner 3-6 Medvedev

Sinner has won the last 3 matches which were very recent (after the US Open last year).

I would still fancy him to win the final against both but he could easily lose to either.
Yeah, that's what I felt. Both Zverev and Medvedev are going to be really fancying their chances a little right now. I still think Sinner wins given his form for the last half year but I think it'll be tight.

Amir

Sinner 3-6 Medvedev

The problem would be mental because beating Djokovic is such a high and it's hard to come down from that and repeat that performance two days later. But he's grown a lot in the last six months.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah, that's what I felt. Both Zverev and Medvedev are going to be really fancying their chances a little right now. I still think Sinner wins given his form for the last half year but I think it'll be tight.
The last time they played Medvedev completely changed his game, largely outplayed Sinner, and still lost

I'm more worried about the scumbag honestly, way he played against Alcaraz...

saivet

The problem would be mental because beating Djokovic is such a high and it's hard to come down from that and repeat that performance two days later. But he's grown a lot in the last six months.
Not that he's immune to it but I think Sinner might be as level headed as it gets.

I also think he's the type that should he lose to Medvedev (who has won one and played in 4 other finals, all against Djokovic/Nadal), Sinner will still see this tournament as a success, even with a disappointing end.

saivet

The last time they played Medvedev completely changed his game, largely outplayed Sinner, and still lost

I'm more worried about the scumbag honestly, way he played against Alcaraz...
I think Zverev playing at his best is probably the worst case scenario but Zverev also has a biggest capability to crumble.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
I and 50 million other italians had 50 alarms set up :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol:Glad it was well worth the pain! You get to do it again on Sunday now.
Up at 5am for me, assuming UK based @wr8_utd was up and watching even earlier!
Ouch, it was on early afternoon here, so nicely winding down by working week. Flipside is the United match on Sunday will be 12:30am for me on Sunday, which is a killer.

Kevin

Nostrodamus of football
Remember an article from a month ago quoting Henman saying Sinner closed the gap with Alcaraz. This consolidates it.

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
Great match by Sinner: didn't had to defend a single break point the whole match, which basically sums his amazing performance.

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Misses an easy volley for a setpoint :lol:

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
Okay that was brilliant to be fair to Zverev.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Italy has produced a lot of standout young athletes during the past few years. I hope it will happen in football too ahaha.
Football died on Monday in Italy :( :( :(

Btw, why isn't Medvedev unbeatable on clay? I feel like he should be unbeatable on clay

Also why is he so reticent to attack here. Like I get that he thinks he can outlast the shitstain, but really, he shouldn't need to and it isn't working anyways

wr8_utd

Up at 5am for me, assuming UK based @wr8_utd was up and watching even earlier!
I'm in India so it wasn't early for me really. USO is what's a disaster for us here with matches on through the night. I remember the Novak vs Rafa final from a decade ago, which had multiple rain breaks and lasted through the night!

wr8_utd

Btw, why isn't Medvedev unbeatable on clay? I feel like he should be unbeatable on clay

Also why is he so reticent to attack here. Like I get that he thinks he can outlast the shitstain, but really, he shouldn't need to and it isn't working anyways
Medvedev doesn't have the weapons to attack. He's a pusher and honestly his tennis is mind numbingly boring.

saivet

He's a good player but a bit one dimensional and clay court tennis requires a bit more variety that he doesn't have (or chooses not to use). I think he's said he also struggles with the movement and is uncomfortable on clay too. His general attitude towards clay probably doesn't help either.

Last edited:

saivet

Wow, what a way to bring up set point. No doubt he didn't mean it but wow.