Test Cricket Decades Draft R1: Harshad vs KM

Who will win based on all the players on their peaks?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Moby

Dick
Welcome to the Test Cricket Decades Draft Round 1 match up. The two teams will be assessed based on a 3 match test series on the surfaces mentioned below. Only the test performances of the said players will be used for evaluation, no other format has any weight in the match up. The surfaces are:

1. Flat batting pitch with little help for any bowlers.
2. A greentop that aids pace bowling.
3. A slow dustbowl that aids spin bowling.

Please vote for the team that you think will prevail at the end of the series.

Team Harshad

Why will I win?
  • My gem of a bowling attack is equipped to take 20 wickets in each match they play and to exploit any condition or pitch that they have to play.
  • Solid pair of openers to lay the foundation of a big score.
  • A middle order that rivals any in this draft.
  • A deep batting line-up that essentially ensures, I have a big enough score to defend for my bowlers to pick the opposition off one player at a time!

TEAM KM

1- Hutton
2- Jayasuriya
3- Duleepsinhji
4- Kohli
5- Chanderpaul
6- Clive Lloyd
7- Saleem Yousuf
8- Fazal Mahmood
9- Grimmett
10- Lillee
11- Frank Tyson

Batsman
Lee Hutton
- Tests 79 138 15 6971 364 56.67 19

One of the greatest batsman ever in test history, Hutton is England's greatest batsman and one of the greatest opener ever. Wisden viewed Hutton, , as "one of the most accomplished professional batsmen to have played for his country", and following the Second World War, critics regarded him as the best batsman in the world. He was selected in Cricinfo's greatest ever XI in 2010.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/current/story/magazine/alltime.html?site_area=2356

Jayasuriya - 110 188 14 6973 340 40.07 14

Partnering Hutton would be the incredibly destructive Jayasuriya whose record on spinning and flat pitches was just incredible. Started as a middle order batsman but then soon graduated to be come an opener for that Sri Lanka side where he ripped apart several of the best bowling attacking ever. Also an very handy left arm spinner whose bowling would be very effective on spinning pitches.

DuleepsinghJi - 12 19 2 995 173 58.52 3

One of the greatest and most stylish batsman ever to play the game, however his career was curtailed by injuries. Legacy so great that an Indian domestic competition is named after him.

Kohli - 77 131 8 6613 243 53.76 11549 57.26 25

No words needed. The greatest batsman of this generation. KING.

Chanderpaul - 164 280 49 11867 203* 51.37 27395 43.31 30

One of the most consistent batsman of the gone era. Inspite of playing in an very average WI team, still maintained an average of 50plus. Played the majority of his innings at number 5 where he averaged 56. No matter what conditions, Chanderpaul would always score.

Clive Lloyd(C) - 110 175 14 7515 242* 46.67 19

The greatest captain in this history of the game and the two time wisden cricketer of the year will play at number six in my team. Had an average of nearly 50 in 40 tests at number six. One of the ATG.

Saleem Yousuf(WK) - 32 44 5 1055 91* 27.05 0

After Wasim Bari, a worthy successor was found in the form of Saleem Yousuf who not only proved himself to be an agile and adept wicket-keeper but also strengthened Pakistan's batting lower down the order through his powerful stroke play. He proved his worth behind the wickets on innumerable occasions with athletic catches and sharp stumpings. He also chipped in with useful innings in both forms of the game to guide Pakistan to numerous victories

Fazal Mahmood - 34 Tests, wickets 139 at average of 24.7

Known as "The Alec Bedser of Pakistan", Fazal fully lived up to his reputation. In first-class matches he headed the Pakistan bowling averages with 77 wickets for 17.53 runs each and his 20 Test wickets were more than double the next best for Pakistan. His part in Pakistan drawing the rubber, the receipt of a Cup and a cheque for his Oval Test achievement, judged the finest individual feat of the season, and selection as the first Pakistan player in Wisden's Five Cricketers made 1954 memorable for Fazal.

In build, run-up and bowling action, Fazal does not resemble Bedser, but their bowling methods bear a distinct similarity. Both concentrate on varied swing and a mixture of leg-cutters and break-backs at just above medium-pace; both are masters of length.

Clarrie Grimmett - 37 Tests, wickets 216 at average of 24.21

The straight or barely-breaking ball was a main weapon, gaining him a high proportion of lbws. When the wicket was unresponsive he roundarmed to a teasing length, often at the leg stump; he could use looping, swerving flight quite as cleverly as 'Tich' Freeman, dropping the ball two feet short of the batsman's expectation; he closely analysed the opposition man by man, as if he were a demolition contractor, though their downfall he executed by guile, not violence.

Grimmett was also Wisden Cricketer of the year in 1932.

Dennis Lillee - 70 Tests, wickets 355 at average of 23.92

Another GOAT. Not many words needed about him. Was one of the most complete bowler ever known.
He was selected in Cricinfo's greatest ever XI in 2010.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/magazine/content/current/story/magazine/alltime.html?site_area=2356

Frank Tyson - 17 tests, wickets 76 at average of 18.92

His fast bowling gave him the nickname "Typhoon Tyson", and despite his short career he achieved status as the fastest England bowler in living memory. Don Bradman called him "the fastest bowler I have ever seen"[2] and Richie Benaud agreed, writing "For a short time, Frank Tyson blasted all-comers".[3] Tom Graveney wrote 'I cannot believe any bowler was faster than Tyson at that time'.[12] When fielding in the slips he had 'to stand 40 yards off the bat, and still. the ball was often going over our heads from edged shots'.

Moby

Dick
Went with KM as there are very few weaknesses in that team. Excellent opening pair with a GOAT opener, solid, run accumulating middle order with resilient characters and a fearsome bowling attack. Probably Sanath being the 5th bowler is a bit underwhelming but otherwise a quality team.

Harshad has a great bowling attack. Khan, Holding and Davo will tear apart most batting line ups, however that middle order is a bit lacking in terms of a proper anchor and someone who can hold the entire innings together. Baz as mentioned is a bit odd as the no. 3. And I have reservations about Khan as a no. 6 batsman. While his career stats make him look like an very good solid batsman and an ATG bowler, in reality his career was broken down in two halves where in the first half he was the primary strike bowler for the team tearing it apart with the ball without being as good as a batsman he was in the second half when he started reducing the bowling burden, pushed up in the batting order and was able to get bigger scores. In short, if he's supposed to be the primary strike bowler for the team, then his batting wouldn't be as impressive as you'd want from a no. 6.

Himannv

Went with KM as there are very few weaknesses in that team. Excellent opening pair with a GOAT opener, solid, run accumulating middle order with resilient characters and a fearsome bowling attack. Probably Sanath being the 5th bowler is a bit underwhelming but otherwise a quality team.

Harshad has a great bowling attack. Khan, Holding and Davo will tear apart most batting line ups, however that middle order is a bit lacking in terms of a proper anchor and someone who can hold the entire innings together. Baz as mentioned is a bit odd as the no. 3. And I have reservations about Khan as a no. 6 batsman. While his career stats make him look like an very good solid batsman and an ATG bowler, in reality his career was broken down in two halves where in the first half he was the primary strike bowler for the team tearing it apart with the ball without being as good as a batsman he was in the second half when he started reducing the bowling burden, pushed up in the batting order and was able to get bigger scores. In short, if he's supposed to be the primary strike bowler for the team, then his batting wouldn't be as impressive as you'd want from a no. 6.
Imran is fine at 6 if you consider he has Knott, Davo, and Kumble as well. An extra batsman instead of Griffith might have helped, but McCullum at 3 is a bit out of place at this level of competition.

Moby

Dick
Imran is fine at 6 if you consider he has Knott, Davo, and Kumble as well. An extra batsman instead of Griffith might have helped, but McCullum at 3 is a bit out of place at this level of competition.
Ya it is including the batsmen above him as well.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
This is a close one. I give the batting to KM; as I like his opening L-R partnership of a GOAT and a demolition man in Jayasuriya and his middle down to six is particularly impressive. I can't go with harshad claim of having one of the strongest MOs in the draft; McCullum at 3 puts paid to that though his lower middle is very good (Nourse, Imran, Knott into a useful tail).

As for the bowling I'm leaning harshad. Griffith doesn't do a great deal for me but Holding, Davidson, Imran with Kumble as a spinner is very good indeed. On the other side is a solid group of five, six including Clive Lloyd, but Tyson didn't play much Test cricket. Good though his numbers are I find it difficult to see him as top class, given he's up against three premier quicks. It looks like four out-and-out quality Test bowlers versus three. Still, it's so close I'm going to take some time before I vote.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Don't underestimate Sanath as an opener people. Especially on spinning and flat tracks. He can absolutely murder the bowling attacks.

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
Green top - Harshad
Flat wicket - KM

Turner will come down to Kumble vs Grimmett and the ability of the batsmen to face spin. @KM has an excellent number of players capable of playing against top quality spinners. Think @harshad 's lineup might struggle.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
Green top - Harshad
Flat wicket - KM

Turner will come down to Kumble vs Grimmett and the ability of the batsmen to face spin. @KM has an excellent number of players capable of playing against top quality spinners. Think @harshad 's lineup might struggle.
This is Holding bowling on a dust bowl at Oval in 1976 when both Viv and Amiss got double centuries. Holding was the only bowler to shine on an otherwise lifeless wicket and that too in both innings.

Boycott talking about that match:

If anything, on a Flat wicket, my long batting and 5 bowler would perform better than the opposition.

harshad

Play the odds, not the man - Poor man's Harvey
Scout
On a long road that returns to Old Trafford!!!
Also, think Baz is fine at 3. He has opened a lot of matches for NZ scored a double hundred too. Having a traditional No. 3 as an opener can be problematic, but dont think there is much of concern in having an opener coming in at No. 3

Di Maria's angel

Captain of Moanchester United
This is Holding bowling on a dust bowl at Oval in 1976 when both Viv and Amiss got double centuries. Holding was the only bowler to shine on an otherwise lifeless wicket and that too in

Boycott talking about that match:

If anything, on a Flat wicket, my long batting and 5 bowler would perform better than the opposition.
I feel like its almost impossible to judge the winner. I've given this a lot of thought and Ive looked into almost every player picked in this draft before making my decision. For me, each player is at their peak and thus the only weakness are those experienced over an extended period of time - for instance Rick Ponting against spin. With the sheer number of Asians in KMs team I can't go against him on the turning wicket. As for the flat wicket, batsmen will triumph most of the time.