That loss to Leverkusen

Champagne Football

Ronaldinho was all but done till barca hijacked it the last second.
Same with Robben when kenyon moved to Chelsea. Either of them would be considered legends here if they’d signed.All the players we’ve listed were unplayable at certain points in their career and would have been hero’s here. We would have won more for sure.

watching us in Europe was pretty rough going in the mid 90s. we often struggled badly against quality and had our fair share of stumbles against smaller teams too. We were doing better in Europe but If we hadn’t won it in 99 i don’t think we would have again for a while and we were pretty close to losing that final with arguably our best ever squad (I think the ronaldo tevez rooney squad was better for what it’s worth) I think the margins are as fine as one influential player making a very good team an excellent team.

frustratingly Messi made that already great barca team unbeatable in the 2 finals.
I think Ronaldinho was always dragging out negotiations in the hope Barca or Real would come on for him last minute. When you see how badly Di Maria struggled in Manchester, you wonder would Ronaldinho have been the same player getting leg breaking tackles on him away to Stoke on a cold Tuesday.

Robben would have been our 2nd best ever after Ronaldo. Truly World class. Fergie would have managed him better than Jose.

That Barca team were the best but other big clubs were able to go toe to toe with them. I think Fergie got his tactics wrong against them in both finals and made them look more invincible than they actually were.

Kopral Jono

One of many CL exits that annoys me years and years later - Dortmund, Monaco, Real (in 2000), Leverkusen, Porto, Bayern (2010). I don’t know how we lost all those, we really should have gone through some of them.
Real 2000 tops the list for me. The season following our treble win we played some great football and we did very well in the first leg in Madrid, only to blow it away in the return game after squandering so many good chances.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Yes this game was one of the biggest Euro disappointments under Fergie - We had to win that tie

Along with Dortmund, Porto and that last Madrid match

Nickelodeon

Bayern 2010 was so frustrating. Both legs if I remember correctly. Rafael's red was typically naive from him, could easily have been safe from him but smarter opponents made the most of the opportunity.

But it was Olic's goal to make it 3-1 in the second leg was what bummed me out the most. Carrick should've been stronger.

M16Red

I would even add Madrid in 2013. We literally dominated them only for nani to be sent off and us collapsing. It's like we never got our benefit of luck in these matches. :(
The ref fecked us that day.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
One of many CL exits that annoys me years and years later - Dortmund, Monaco, Real (in 2000), Leverkusen, Porto, Bayern (2010). I don’t know how we lost all those, we really should have gone through some of them.
So many missed opportunities in the CL during Fergie's reign. We massively underperformed during the course of his management, despite his domestic dominance.

Denis' cuff

Barthez : what a fecking twat. Would’ve done better with Donald Pleasance in goal.

but Leverkusen, Dortmund, Monaco and Porto, all thrown away.

always felt the Dortmund one the worst. It was like that West Ham away match when Blackburn won the title. On another day we’d have scored six. Couldn’t score to save our lives.

Last edited:

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Real 2000 tops the list for me. The season following our treble win we played some great football and we did very well in the first leg in Madrid, only to blow it away in the return game after squandering so many good chances.
that Real tie
Dortmund
Leverkusen
Porto

We should have more Champions League titles. Even one more would be fair enough on balance as we’ve been close many times. Let’s hope this new team can get us thereabouts regularly over the next few years

MancunianAngels

Supports
FC United
That United team of 2001/2002 was superb. We couldn't defend but it was exciting!

We could have beaten Madrid in the final aswell.

If we only we had signed Ferdinand a season earlier...

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
That United team of 2001/2002 was superb. We couldn't defend but it was exciting!

We could have beaten Madrid in the final aswell.

If we only we had signed Ferdinand a season earlier...
after that then it was Keane out and smith fletcher (who turned into a very good player after a few seasons) djemba and kleberson in and we never felt so far away quality wise. Fair play to Fergie for turning it around and building around ronaldo and rooney.