That Portsmouth game in 2008 was bonkers

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
So many chances and then the goalie concedes a red & penalty.

Skills

Snitch
If Romero's our back up we don't lose that. Funnily enough, losing that probably worked out okay for us. A replay would've screwed us with the fixture pile up & then if we got through that another FA cup semi final with a tight title race & also the CL semi final to negotiate would've made it really tough.

MUFC07

I swear to you this one never left my mind. I remember it like it was yesterday. This damn game was the treble....

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I think that's the first time since that game was live I've rewatched it, when that Carrick chance didn't go in you just know it's not going to be your day

It also just goes to show what a monumental achievement the 98/99 season was and how you need everything to go for you

RedDevilRoshi

That game still gives me nightmares especially thinking back when we could have repeated the 99 treble all over again. How we never scored and won that game, I will never know.

Last edited:

Anustart89

I recalled that penalty incident being an obvious push in the back and that not giving it was a shocking decision. Upon rewatching it now I'm like "eh, fair enough I suppose".

Bubz27

No I won’t change your tag line
Baros goes down so easily too. Most strikers would of course, but he almost takes the next step then decides to throw himself down.

Redo91

This was my first game at OT (had seen us play once before at Portman Road in 02). You can imagine how I felt after this. Cursed.

EasyE

Our sub keeper wasn't last man so why the red?

Rooney's angry lunge early on was mean.

GeorgieBoy

Man I really hated that Portsmouth team. Seem to be remember they were a bit of a bogey side for us away from home also.

Luke1995

To be fair to Portsmouth, those were their glory days. They almost beat Milan at Uefa Cup later that year.

It's not like we had a tough time against them, Ronaldo almost always scored against them, but on that one day, they played the game of their lives.

arthurka

Ref had a shocker so did our attack.. crazy have and still fecking bothers me...
A lot...

Luke1995

There was one game against them at the beggining of 2007-08 season where Ronaldo was sent off and a fight almost broke out, anyone remembers that ?

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
If Romero's our back up we don't lose that. Funnily enough, losing that probably worked out okay for us. A replay would've screwed us with the fixture pile up & then if we got through that another FA cup semi final with a tight title race & also the CL semi final to negotiate would've made it really tough.
That's a fair point. I'd always thought 'we were that bullshit game v Portsmouth away from a treble' as we'd probably have seen off Cardiff, but thinking of the potential spanner a replay and even that final could have thrown in the works it isn't that simple, and a PL/CL double worked out just fine.

Kag

Few, if any, games have annoyed me more.

EDIT: Jesus. I’ve just watched it back for the first time in years and it’s worse than I remembered.

Last edited:

Moiraine

Fecking Tevez, missed two sitters in Champions League Final as well, he had no excuse hitting it straight to Johnson. Open goal!

This should have been another Treble, fecking referee..

Moiraine

Happens, we're also a bit lucky John Terry slipped. Overall happy with how things turned out.
Again
We should have been 3-0 up half time in Russia, plus chelsea were luckier with freak lampard equalizer. Game should really have been dead and buried. Fecking Tevez.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
There was one game against them at the beggining of 2007-08 season where Ronaldo was sent off and a fight almost broke out, anyone remembers that ?
Yes. I remember the red card, but not the final result (did we lose or draw)?

The beginning of that season was annoying. Rooney broke his metatarsals first match day I think.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Imagine if we scored that goal chance Rooney started :drool:
I know the exact chance you're talking about.

If that had gone in, that would've been the go to goal/highlight in videos showcasing the Ronaldo, Rooney and Tevez partnership!

Luke1995

Yes. I remember the red card, but not the final result (did we lose or draw)?

The beginning of that season was annoying. Rooney broke his metatarsals first match day I think.
1-1.

- Full match available on Youtube

Robertd0803

A disgusting game. Right up there with my all time least favourite games. My blood still boils over it.

El Zoido

I remember feeling that way too. It was the game that stopped the treble 100%
Impossible to say really. If we’d won this game everything after would have played out differently. Ronaldo might have got injured and we lose the CL final. You just never know.

Ekeke

Posters used to rate PIG :houllier:

Also the difference in our attack then to now. Ronaldo, Rooney, Tevez and Nani Vs. Rashford, Martial, James... Greenwood in europa

Rashford is the only one who would get a start

Nickelodeon

If you want to define the term "smash and grab" in the context of football, this game is the perfect example of it.

Amir

Our sub keeper wasn't last man so why the red?
There's no law in football that instructs the referee to send a player off if he's the last man. It's about denying the opposition a goalscoring chance, which Kuszczak clearly did.

Amir

Impossible to say really. If we’d won this game everything after would have played out differently. Ronaldo might have got injured and we lose the CL final. You just never know.
Aye. We would have probably won the FA Cup as there were mostly lower league team left, If my memory serves me, but it still would have been extra two matches. And we won the league, beat Barca and then Chelsea by very little.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
We could have won 5-0 but we were quite poor for a lot of this game as I remember. Hargreaves was taking 50 touches to play a pass and we only really stepped it up in the second half at which point we were snatching at things.

Most of our home games against Portsmouth level opposition that season, we were flying out of the blocks and winning the game in the first 20 minutes.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Surprised Fergie had made all his subs by that point, was only 70th minute or something?

Edit: Didn't realise VDS had gone off injured so you wouldn't have had a keeper anyway. Carrick not forcing the ball over the line is incredible. Certainly Pompey's name on the trophy that year as they were very lucky to beat Preston in the previous round.

Blzbud

Proof, if ever proof was needed, that Martin Atkinson is a complete and utter cnut. Penalty, yes, but never a red card in a million years.