That was actually a much improved performance

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
There was a few poor individual performances. I think Amrabat made a few significant errors that I hope he will learn from (a few freekicks, including the one for their goal, the turnover where Casemiro was booked among them). Beside that, Crystal Palace barely got a sniff and created feck all.

We actually created a few good chances. We had a xg of 1,6. The same tally as Villa yesterday. And obviouly, that do not include the huge chance that we where robbed and that should have been a penalty. We are not good enough to ensure that we always win these type of games, but most often we would.

I also think the underlying stats were good. We had 290 touches in the attacking third. 44 in the penalty area. CP had 74 and 10. Last sesson we never had more than 279/35 touches in the attacking third/penalty area (against Bmth). Bmth had 119/20 that game.

In terms of possession it was one of our most dominate displays on the ball for the past few years. Maybe even the most dominate if you exclude games like the one against Southampton where they went down one man early.

I’m not saying it was a great game by Man Utd at any measure. We should have created more. We should not have made those errors. But we have four fullbacks and our most influential CB on the ball out injured. Lacking both Shaw and Martinez is a huge blow for our build up play.

Considering all the injuries and noise the first few months I think we did ok yesterday. We should have done better, but it was an improved display from that Burnley game.

laughtersassassin

We've lost 4 and won 3. Better performance or not doesn't matter.

It's sack worthy form and pretty much the only reason he isn't in trouble is because we've been though so many manager already

Toshey

Supports
Levski Sofia
If Eric started Garnacho and Eriksen instead of Rashford and Bruno we would have won comfortably.
They ruin our attacking play at the moment.

evil_geko

It's sack worthy form and pretty much the only reason he isn't in trouble is because we've been though so many manager already
Of course it matters, if performances continue to be good, results will come.

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
We went from getting outclassed by Brighton to not getting equally outclassed by Palace. If we keep up this level of improvement we might be able to give Brentford a difficult game next week.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert

I think «sacky form» is a knee jerk term. I think both Arteta and Klopp have experienced what you would label «sacky form». But their clubs would be worse off if they did.

laughtersassassin

I think «sacky form» is a knee jerk term. I think both Arteta and Klopp have experienced what you would label «sacky form». But their clubs would be worse off if they did.
True. I didn't say sack him yet but this can't continue much longer at the current form. Like if this form continues across the next 7 for instance.

The main concern with ETH is this form coupled with the fact more of his signings seems to be misses than hits.

Orton

Ati-virus, keeps missing the n button
When it’s too late of course. We ain’t competing and we’re gonna struggle to challenge for top 4. Who cares what xG says when we continue to lose games every week. Bad eggs and big egos are sending us on a downward spiral, and this club will forever be burdened with it until the Glazers are gone and we are run like a proper football club.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
True. I didn't say sack him yet but this can't continue much longer at the current form. Like if this form continues across the next 7 for instance.

The main concern with ETH is this form coupled with the fact more of his signings seems to be misses than hits.
I agree that it looks bleak for a few of them. And we probably paid too much for Antony and Hojlund. I was quite encouraged of Mount yesterday though. It was something to build on for him.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
I have to put the Palace side in to context though, we are without Olise, Franca and Edouard who would make up three of our front four, plus Lerma in midfield who’s been great for us so far. Our attack of Schlupp, Mateta and Ayew is one of the worst I can remember, certainly as bad as anything we’ve fielded since we came back up. There is zero goal threat or even creativity in our team at the moment (excluding Eze) and no game-changers we can bring off the bench either, so it was always going to be the case that you’d dominate the game while we tried to knick something. The stats bear that out.

Make no mistake, it’s a really poor result for you in the circumstances. I thought we’d get battered.

Last edited:

Lentwood

Yes but it was clear what Arteta and Klopp were doing tactically. We're 18-months into ETH and it still looks a mess.

Also, I'm not having that the players are poor. They're not all world class, but they're far superior to their equivalents at clubs like Brighton and Palace - and they're certainly too good to be hit for 7 by Liverpool and 6 by City. Alarm bells really should have been ringing loudly then.

FattyFooty

Only 1 PL game i thought we was better than the other team. The performances so far been so bad. We are kinda lucky to have 3 wins.

I understand we are looking for positives. But really, so far Ten Hag and hes players aint showing what United is about.

3KDré

Rashford and Casemiro are mercurial players, capable of magic. Dropping them would be madness.
Personally, I find it very worrying that 2/3 of our most 'mercurial' players are midfielders Casemiro and Bruno. Both give the ball away every 4th pass and it leads to us losing momentum way too often.

Irrational.

There was a few poor individual performances. I think Amrabat made a few significant errors that I hope he will learn from (a few freekicks, including the one for their goal, the turnover where Casemiro was booked among them). Beside that, Crystal Palace barely got a sniff and created feck all.

We actually created a few good chances. We had a xg of 1,6. The same tally as Villa yesterday. And obviouly, that do not include the huge chance that we where robbed and that should have been a penalty. We are not good enough to ensure that we always win these type of games, but most often we would.

I also think the underlying stats were good. We had 290 touches in the attacking third. 44 in the penalty area. CP had 74 and 10. Last sesson we never had more than 279/35 touches in the attacking third/penalty area (against Bmth). Bmth had 119/20 that game.

In terms of possession it was one of our most dominate displays on the ball for the past few years. Maybe even the most dominate if you exclude games like the one against Southampton where they went down one man early.

I’m not saying it was a great game by Man Utd at any measure. We should have created more. We should not have made those errors. But we have four fullbacks and our most influential CB on the ball out injured. Lacking both Shaw and Martinez is a huge blow for our build up play.

Considering all the injuries and noise the first few months I think we did ok yesterday. We should have done better, but it was an improved display from that Burnley game.
Agree with this.

Palace did feck all apart from time waste and hope for a goal against the run of play. Unfortunately for us, they succeeded.

We dominated from start to finish and had more than double the number of attempts.

We need to look at the bigger picture rather than focusing on individual results. I’m convinced that the results will come and the trajectory of the team will improve as players start returning from injuries.

Rashford and Bruno need to be dumped for a few games. They are actively inhibiting us.

theatreofdreams777

We could get relegated and there will still be people who are desperate to find positives from that.

Results wise our season has been nothing but a disaster this year. Performance wise it's even worse. The sad thing is it was quite predictable in the summer with the transfer window we had. Wasting so much money again on players we didn't even need in the first place. It was obvious we would be going backwards.

Only thing that'll save our season would be club sale.

Lentwood

We should be dominating these games though. Palace don't want the ball. They want to sit back, hit teams on the counter and/or look to score from a set-piece.

Tactically, Hodgson achieved exactly what he set out to achieve. ETH fundamentally did not, since we lost the game at home to a far inferior side.

siw2007

In terms of building the play from the first third through to the final third then perhaps. We were well organised on the ball in that respect and had plenty of the ball around their box. But in terms of breaking them down, that was worryingly bad, there was no threat from our front line, poor decision making, no end product. We could still be playing now and we still probably wouldn’t score.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
If that's an improved performance we're in bigger trouble than I thought. It was appalling. We never looked like scoring at any point.

Thom Merrilin

There were definitely aspects of our play that were better. At the end of the day though, it's still not good enough. I hope that when more players come back it'll get better.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
We could get relegated and there will still be people who are desperate to find positives from that.

Results wise our season has been nothing but a disaster this year. Performance wise it's even worse. The sad thing is it was quite predictable in the summer with the transfer window we had. Wasting so much money again on players we didn't even need in the first place. It was obvious we would be going backwards.

Only thing that'll save our season would be club sale.
Some posters on here have this weird idea that the manager can never be criticised and that it’s always 100% the players.

In an alternate reality right now posters on Redcafe are probably defending Ole as we sit in the relegation zone of the Championship.

Red Star One

I’ve read it was a much improved performance after 0 points with Arsenal and then it was a much improved performance with 0 points against Bayern. Now we’ve much improved to lose against Palace at OT. I think I’m done with improvement for some moment and would like to see some points collected by our team.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Results aren't going to from us playing like that I'm afraid.

Are we just ignoring the fact that it was a home game and Palace were very happy to let us control possession?

Godfather

Palace at home, lost 1-0 and an xG of just 1,6 after another spending spree in the summer. And then this thread.

We look as clueless in the last third as we always have since the Fergie days.

Abhinav

We are lacking fluidity in our play. Understandable due to the injuries we have had but at the same time, not at the standard required. Apart from our issues in the final third, our build up play in the middle third is also very inconsistent. Very rarely do we break lines with our passing and our players delay the passes and look as if they are reacting rather than following a playbook.
We needed a playmaker next to Casemiro and its not Amrabat. Amrabat is a good high volume passer but lacks that extra bit of quality that is required of a main CM at United.
With our attack and midfield struggling, defence plagued with injuries, not sure where the silver lining will come from.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
If that's an improved performance we're in bigger trouble than I thought. It was appalling. We never looked like scoring at any point.
Bruno and Rashford are literally the only two players in the entire squad that I can see scoring more than ten goals and both are absolutely shit right now.

We massively struggled for goals last season and it was obvious that a top class striker was our number one priority. Instead we spent £70 million on a rookie that is nowhere close to being ready at this level to score 20-30 goals.

Jezpeza

Love the ideology.

‘we lose every week but it was a good performance’.

We’re on course for a sub 50 point season currently. And the manager has lost it, sorry. Mount-Bruno-casemiro in midfield again yesterday.

binary bot
We’ve a clear issue with balance - our performance may look better but it’s sacrificing any ability to create or score goals.

two modes
- controlled, can’t create at all
- no control, can create slightly more

We’re right back to van Gaal

JB7

Losing 4 out of 7 is "sack worthy form" now? 10:57am and that's already enough internet for the day.

noodlehair

"It's like..."
Much as I want to have patience with Ten Hag after last season, Klopp and Arteta didn't spend £50m to put Mason Mount in their central midfield, and didn't spend nearly £100m to end up picking Pellistri on the right wing.

Good managers go through bad patches but it generally isn’t them who are dragging the team's performance level down, and they will generally get to the bottom of what is.

Unfortunately its very hard to argue that ETH isn't at the very least a contributor to why we're playing badly. Nearly every game this season he's made decisions that have made very little sense and have had a clear negative impact.

Red Star One

Losing 4 out of 7 is "sack worthy form" now? 10:57am and that's already enough internet for the day.
Losing 4 out of 7 in the league while only facing one team from last seasons top5 yet is a sack worthy form. It’s not an immediate sack, but make it 5 losses in 8 and it’s desperate.

Crimson King

If Eric started Garnacho and Eriksen instead of Rashford and Bruno we would have won comfortably.
They ruin our attacking play at the moment.
That's just your opinion, there's nothing to suggest the result would have been any different.

UnofficialDevil

Anti Scottish and Preoccupied with Donkeys.
I'm not anti Scottish, I just wanted Moyes out.
I have to put the Palace side in to context though, we are without Olise, Franca and Edouard who would make up three of our front four, plus Lerma in midfield who’s been great for us so far. Our attack of Schlupp, Mateta and Ayew is one of the worst I can remember, certainly as bad as anything we’ve fielded since we came back up. There is zero goal threat or even creativity in our team at the moment (excluding Eze) and no game-changers we can bring off the bench either, so it was always going to be the case that you’d dominate the game while we tried to knick something. The stats bear that out.

Make no mistake, it’s a really poor result for you in the circumstances. I thought we’d get battered.
And we create a thread about a much improved performance. Oh my life...:lol: