The 2006-2009 team thread

Luke1995

Just wanted to point out that Patrice Evra is a free agent. Would you have him back here for a year considering Shaw can't be trusted and Darmian has to leave ?

Luke1995

Anderson is at Adana Demirspor from the Turkish second division! Crazy how he has fallen.

SER19

Looking back now its easy to see that whatever team we put out in that era had ridiculous confidence. There was an understated swagger to all of them- if Evans or oshea had to come in beside vidic then so be it. Alan smith start up front v roma? Great. The team seemed to have an incredible spirit and balance of egos and happiness with roles. Some amazing football and memories

I would say it was fergusons pinnacle- everything he was best at coming together perfectly. In that period we won 3 titles in a row, were in at least the champions league semi final every year, fa cup final, couple of league cups, world club cup.

It was incredible. (And still i remember people moaning :lol: )

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
I was fortunate enough to be at OT or in a few local away grounds many of the best moments of the team for the three seasons or so so it felt more magical even though it would've been amazing watching it all on TV.

06-08 is probably the happiest period in my life and United coincided with it as becoming the best team in the world. The few seasons prior to 06 we had that inevitability that we do now that we'd lose to a relegation fodder/newly promoted side at their home ground and we managed to sort that in 06/07 and ultimately just demolish most teams with swagger in 07-08. 08-09 we fecked it up really but we were so good defensively it got us out of a lot of jams.

Ashley R1+O

Just wanted to point out that Patrice Evra is a free agent. Would you have him back here for a year considering Shaw can't be trusted and Darmian has to leave ?
I would for nostalgia's sake, I have absolutely no idea how good he would be. Even if he was a player/coach/mentor of some kind for Shaw.

Luke1995

I would for nostalgia's sake, I have absolutely no idea how good he would be. Even if he was a player/coach/mentor of some kind for Shaw.
Bench option probably. Would not have the legs to pay in the PL but could do a role in the cups. Not any rumour about it though, just a random thought from me.

Luke1995

Looking back now its easy to see that whatever team we put out in that era had ridiculous confidence. There was an understated swagger to all of them- if Evans or oshea had to come in beside vidic then so be it. Alan smith start up front v roma? Great. The team seemed to have an incredible spirit and balance of egos and happiness with roles. Some amazing football and memories

I would say it was fergusons pinnacle- everything he was best at coming together perfectly. In that period we won 3 titles in a row, were in at least the champions league semi final every year, fa cup final, couple of league cups, world club cup.

It was incredible. (And still i remember people moaning :lol: )
Some would argue that Ferguson's prime was the 98-99 side and the strategy which he used to build it, but it's very debatable. Yeah, and it seemed like Evans Oshea and Smith turned into World Class players with such confidence all around them.

MUFC OK

I feel this thread has the potential to become legendary, perhaps akin to a RAWK one commemorating their 80's team with Dalglish, Souness, Hansen etc.

from the start of 2006/07 season when we thumped Fulham to the CL final in 2009 were my favourite years following and watching United by far, we had a legitimate claim to being the best team in the world over that period, or at least the second.

Ashley R1+O

Bench option probably. Would not have the legs to pay in the PL but could do a role in the cups. Not any rumour about it though, just a random thought from me.
Just as a mentor for Shaw at the every least. Literally work with him 24/7 a la what I'd do with young midfield players and Carrick now that he is a coach.

Not a bad thought, not enough wisdom is being imparted down at our club at the moment. Couldn't think of a better player for Shaw to try and emulate so I agree with you. Even if Evra didn't contribute on the pitch at all. Knowledge is power.

SER19

Some would argue that Ferguson's prime was the 98-99 side and the strategy which he used to build it, but it's very debatable. Yeah, and it seemed like Evans Oshea and Smith turned into World Class players with such confidence all around them.
Both brilliant eras and yeah the 99 team reaped the reward of fergies belief in youth in building that team. 06-09 was a special era possibly taken a little for granted by us all at the time

LInkash

The match that kicked off that wonderful period of football.

4-0 up inside 20 minutes in our opening game of the season :drool:
Oh yes, this was the first match after the Ronaldo winking incident. Opposition fans would boo Ronaldo and we'd drown them out with Viva Ronaldo.

Luke1995

Just as a mentor for Shaw at the every least. Literally work with him 24/7 a la what I'd do with young midfield players and Carrick now that he is a coach.

Not a bad thought, not enough wisdom is being imparted down at our club at the moment. Couldn't think of a better player for Shaw to try and emulate so I agree with you. Even if Evra didn't contribute on the pitch at all. Knowledge is power.
The fans simply have no voice at all. It should be mandatory for the board to ask fans on the street about what they want or read the internet.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Just thought we should have a place to cheerish the memories. (Couldn't see a recent thread)

Edwin Van Der Sar
Wes Brown/Gary Neville
Rio Ferdinand
Nemanja Vidic
Patrice Evra/John O'shea
Owen Hargreaves/Darren Fletcher
Michael Carrick/Anderson/Park
Paul Scholes/Ryan Giggs
Cristiano Ronaldo/Nani
Wayne Rooney/Louis Saha
Carlos Tevez/Berbatov

Some of my favorite moments (Other than Moscow!)
5-1 against Fulham in August 2006
7-1 against Roma obviously
Scholes goal against Barcelona
Ronaldo's freekick against Portsmouth
Berbatov's skill against West Ham to setup Ronaldo's goal.

A team who had pace, physical power, shooting accuracy and good short and long range passing.

Remember being a bit worried because we somewhat struggled in the 2008-09 CL group stage but then we went on to have a fantastic knockout rounds and it felt like that team could go on for ages.

Then summer of 2009 came... (Although most of that squad remained together until 2010-11)

Just how great was the Ferdinand-Vidic partnership ? Scholes and Carrick together ?

That team had such a great understanding between players, the Rooney-Ronaldo-Tevez conection was almost magnetic. The confidence VDS passed to everyone needs to be mentioned too. Saha was great in 2006-07, always wondered what could have been with him.

Anyway, share your favorite memories, games, pictures, videos, personal stories (Were you at the stadium during that time for example?) and whatever else related to that era you may want.
This is building into a bit of a myth. Tevez never hit the heights at United that he did after he left. In his first season he seemed to suffer due to the lack of a decent pre-season (as well as the understandable problems with bedding in that all debutants go through) He could be very hit and miss and Rooney and Ronaldo were on a different level to him entirely. The following pre-season he was in superb form (unlike Rooney, who had piled on his standard summer holiday pounds) and looked to be finally living up to the hype. Then Berbatov happened and the rest is history.

My enduring memory of Tevez has nothing to do with how well he linked up with Rooney-Ronaldo and everything to do with how he looked twice the player at City than he did at United (scoring twice as many goals). Which - combined with some of his antics once it looked like he was on his way out - completely sours my memories of him as a Manchester United player.

Luke1995

Read the Caf for five minutes and then tell me that's a bad thing.
Well, there are some very smart posters in here. Some days I read something and think how much it could improve the team if someone who works there saw it...

But my point is, fans probably spend more time watching and reading about football and tactics and transfers than directors and CEOS do.

Luke1995

This is building into a bit of a myth. Tevez never hit the heights at United that he did after he left. In his first season he seemed to suffer due to the lack of a decent pre-season (as well as the understandable problems with bedding in that all debutants go through) He could be very hit and miss and Rooney and Ronaldo were on a different level to him entirely. The following pre-season he was in superb form (unlike Rooney, who had piled on his standard summer holiday pounds) and looked to be finally living up to the hype. Then Berbatov happened and the rest is history.

My enduring memory of Tevez has nothing to do with how well he linked up with Rooney-Ronaldo and everything to do with how he looked twice the player at City than he did at United (scoring twice as many goals). Which - combined with some of his antics once it looked like he was on his way out - completely sours my memories of him as a Manchester United player.
Well, he at least gave hints of what could have been if the structure in place was right for the three of them to link-up, but yeah, it was not really a MSN situation, perhaps I just remembered all the effort he put on the pitch, but didn't really take an in-depth look at performances. Tevez could have been one of the greats of the game, the people of Argentina probably like Riquelme more though.

theriddler

Supports
Liverpool FC
Was truly a magnificent side. Very unfortunate to run into arguably the best fotball team in the last 20 years, as Sir Alex would have certainly had 3, maybe 4 CL trophies (maybe his trophy cabinet was too full already!)

While Liverpool came closer to winning the league under Rodgers, it was due to a perfect storm of no injuries to key players, one game a week, and a wave of momentum. The Liverpool team of 08-09 was fantastic - and would have been beaten to the title by a truly great PL team, which United certainly were.

Even Pep's handpicked trillionaire team doesn't have as many world class players as that team. VDS, Rio, Vidic, Evra, Scholes, Ronaldo, Rooney.

All of them were in the top 3-5 in their position in world football, and only 2 were big money acquisitions. Absolutely mental. I hated him cause he caused us so much misery, but have nothing but respect for him. Truly incredible manager, and that team was such a joy to watch.

How fast football changes. From that to Moyes and Fellaini in just around half a decade. One of the biggest mess ups at boardroom level in recent footballing history, that.

Red_Ramirez

I remember fans still whinging and moaning back then:houllier::lol:

Carrick is slow, average, then not the same since 2009 CL final etc.
Evans is shit. Fletcher is shit. Why isnt Anderson playing more? All Carrick does is nothing but play backward passes. Berbatov is lazy
Evra is not the same player get rid (there were a million threads on this)
We need to buy this player or that player or else :lol::lol:

ti vu

The match that kicked off that wonderful period of football.

4-0 up inside 20 minutes in our opening game of the season :drool:
All 5 goals involved crossing into the box. Nowadays, some game we can't make couple decent crosses the whole game :nervous: