The 4-Way Draft - QF: Ecstatic vs Enigma

With players at career peak, who will win this match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
VS

....................................... TEAM ECSTATIC .................................................................................... TEAM ENIGMA .......................................

TEAM ECSTATIC

Orange Team > how Cruyff inspired the Netherlands & AJAX (against Beckenbauer)

Action Plan
1. Hard pressing & Aggressive defensive unit
2. Smart players to keep the ball like Dzajic & Tostao that allow a high possession rate
3. Flash attacks: Cruyff, Best... with the support of the defensive players
Tactical Inspirations:
1. The Enthusiastic Orange Machine (Cruyff, Krol, Haan): European Cup winners in 71, 72 and 73 + World Cup runner-up in 1974 and 1978 (without Cruyff)
>>> AJAX 4-0 Bayern (1973) :drool: Haan scored 2 goals. Krol scored 1 goal and Cruyff all over the pitch
>>> Netherlands 1-2 Germany (1974) Mythical 120 seconds of the game.
2. The Yellow Machine: Brazil 1970 (Tostão) World Cup Winner. Tostao the collective player that makes the great players better by wandering
3. United 4-1 Benfica (1968): Best at his best
Captain: Johan Cruyff as a free playmaker - 1974 FIFA World Cup Best Player > 7 Games/3 goals/3 Assists
Tactical considerations to be further explained later
1. The deep-lying forward Cruyff at the Heart of the Game always looking for space will make the front 4 harmonious.
2. Cruyff needs a collective and mobile assistant in order to lead the attack line at times.
Neeskens/Cruyjff and Pele/Tostão were sucessful duos: no doubt that Tostão/Cruyff would be another one
3. Dzajic is more than a winger, also a very mobile playmaker that likes to combine with a left-back and the other offensive players
4. Best to provide the quick-fire attacks on the right
Hard pressing & Aggressive back 6: Haan, Pirri, Krol, Tresor, Figueroa, Vogts
Figueroa: “The box is my house; I decide who let in!”
6. Sepp Maier and Zoff can confirm Haan is also known for his long-range goals

GK - Mazurkiewicz - 1970 FIFA WC Best Goalkeeper
Helped the Uruguay national team to qualify to the semifinals of the 1970 World Cup. He totally kept five clean sheets in World Cup final tournament.
LB - Krol - Greatest defender in the history of Dutch football
2 Times European Defender of The Year (1978, 1979) & FIFA World Cup All-Star Team (Left-back 1974 as a Left-Back, Sweeper1978)
CB - Figueroa - 5 Times South American Defender of the Year (1973 - 1977)
Very strong defenders who cuts out opposition attacks and immediately launch counter attacks from the back.
CB - Trésor - Another complete world-class defender (SF WC 82, Euro 84 Winner)
When he joined AC Ajaccio in 1968 he was classed a centre-forward, but with his physicality and athleticism he was quickly moved into the defence
RB - Vogts - 2 Times German Footballer Of The Year (1971, 1979)
Instrumental player in the successes of Germany between 1970 -1976
CM - Haan - Strong Complete Defensive midfielder with a high stamina
35 caps (6 goals) with Netherlands
RCM - Pirri - The greatest Spanish Box-to-Box (Real Madrid) - 3 times in the top 10 Ballon D'or
Robust Complete Defensive midfielder for Madrid/Spain until he's 28 and then deployed as a sweeper. High stamina. Impressive stats: 152 goals / 493 games.
RW - Best (137 Goals/ 361 Games wit United) - Soccer Beatle edition 1968 who shone with Charlton
The ambidextrous player won the Ballon D'Or 1968 for his performances on the right wing - MOTM against the Benfica of Eusebio at the European Cup's final
LW - Dzajic - (323 Goals/ 671 Games) - The Greatest Yougoslavian player?
Beckenbauer mentioned the 1968 UEFA Euro Best Player should have won the Ballon Dor instead of George Best without doubt. Pelé "Džajić is the Balkan miracle – a real wizard. I'm just sorry he's not Brazilian because I've never seen such a natural footballer."
Legend at the Heart of the Game - Johan Cruyff (371 Goals/ 663 Games) - Ballon D'Or 1971-73-74: the greatest European footballer of all-time?
Orchestrator of “The Controlled Chaos” of The Orange Machine as a deep-lying Forward (48 Games, 33 Goals, 26 Assists).
Legend Assistant - Tostão formed with Pele a lethal offensive partnership - World Cup Winner >>> 7 Games/3 Goals/5 Assists
Intelligent and hard-working footballer, who stood out throughout his career due to his anticipation and timing in the penalty area. The South American Footballer of The Year 1971 is known for his technique and dribbling skills, while also contributing with many assists thanks to his vision, passing and playmaking abilities.

TEAM ENIGMA

Formation: 4-3-3
Defensive line: Normal
Style: Counter attacking - direct style - high work rate

Players:

GK: Sepp Maier
- One of the best keepers of all time. The man won it all in terms of team achievements - 4 Bundesliga titles, 3 back to back CL titles, WC, EURO. His individual achievement include - three times German player of the year - the most achieved by a goalkeeper in an era where German football was brimming with talent (Beckenbauer, Netzer, Vogts,Breitner, etc). German goalkeeper of the century, 1974 WC all star team and many more. Nicknamed "the cat" he was characteristic with his impossible saves and the ability to shut out opponent attackers.

LB: Giacinto Facchetti - Arguably the best left full back ever. His ability to man his own flank is essential to our wing play. He was strong, tall, elegant and imposing defender in his playing days, he rarely seemed to lose his cool. Revolutionized the full back position playing 634 official games and scoring 75 goals. He played for the Internazionale team remembered as La Grande Inter. Facchetti is remembered as one of the first truly great attacking-full backs. He would make marauding runs upfield using his wonderful dribbling and crossing. He also possessed wonderful stamina and scored important goals.

RB: Carlos Alberto - Regarded as one of the best full backs ever Carlos Alberto Torres was well one of the most iconic figures in the game scored one of the most famous goals ever witnessed in the game. He was the captain of the 1970 WC winning side playing sublime football and Alberto was the pinnacle of attacks playing as an attacking right back of the modern era. Alberto went on to earn 53 caps for the national side scoring an 8 goals by bombing forward and causing havoc as relentless attacking full back. Apart from his attacking output he was also a brilliant defender often playing as a CB for his club teams and winning everything under the sun.

CB(Libero): Franz Beckenbauer - A living legend on and off the pitch, Franz Anton Beckenbauer is commonly considered one of the greatest players of all time. At the pinnacle of his wonderful career Beckenbauer’s nickname was highly suitable, as he literally ruled the football world; ‘Kaiser Franz, as he was widely known across the globe, captained the first team to win consecutively the European Championship (in 1972) and the World Cup (two years later), uniting the two crowns for the first time ever (France and Spain have since done it).

CB: Héctor Chumpitaz - One of the finest defender coming from South America. Strong, imposing, and damn fast he was the pillar of Peru's best team ever, whilst also winning numerous personal accolades:
* 1969 Best Defender CONMEBOL
* 1971 Best Defender CONMEBOL
* 1973 All Stars CONMEBOL: Captain
* 2000 World Soccer's: The 100 Greatest Footballers of All Time
* 2004 South American - Player of the Century: Ranking Nº 35
* 2007 Midfield Dynamo's 10 Heroes of the Copa América
* 2007 Copa America All-Star team, all-time
* 2008 All Stars CONMEBOL in the last 50 years
* 2008 Defender all-time goalscoring: Ranking Nº 32

DM(Anchor): Nobby Stiles - Although he was not very imposing physically, the "Toothless Tiger" was an enthusiastic half-back he was extremely popular with United and England fans alike, renowned for his hard, tough tackling, expert skills at spotting potential danger, his simple passing game and man marking. He was capable of dropping into the CB position, playing there numerous times in his United career making him a perfect tactical fit with Beckenbauer.

CM(B2B) - Willem Van Hanegem - a complete midfielder as it gets. Energetic, with enormous work rate and solid defensively. True leader on the pitch and one of the all time greats in his position, he was regarded as the engine behind Johan Cruyff's vision. As one of the few standout Feyenoord players in a team constituted by Ajax's style of play, Van Hanegem's impeccable passing skills and work rate have never been forgotten.

CM/Playmaker - Günter Netzer - Arguably the best German playmaker ever(quite an achievement considering the other candidates). With his long blonde hair immortalised by students of fashion as well as students of football, with his unforced genius in finding space – his and his team mates space – through exuberant movement and extravagant passing that was never wasteful or self-indulgent; and with the inherent flair that presented itself through audacious goals, Gunter Netzer did evoke the contradictory spirit of the Gods.

His technical accomplishments, his football intelligence, his thoughtful analysis of the numerous options available to a player – available to a gifted player, or to a renegade player at least – at any given split second on the football field, and his uncanny and awe-inspiring ability to execute them perfectly, left him immune to contrived, soulless football.

When it comes to discussing the finest midfielders of all time, the name of Gunter Netzer is often criminally overlooked. However, it is worth remembering that no player has single-handedly humiliated England at Wembley like the German did during a now legendary Euro '72 quarter-final first-leg clash in London. The then Borussia Monchengladbach playmaker ran the show from start to finish and capped a wonderful display with a late penalty in a thoroughly deserved 3-1 win.

Netzer maintained his majestic form in the semi-final and final; the Soviet Union could not get close to him as they were thrashed 3-0 in the Brussels showpiece.

RW: Jairzinho - "The Hurricane" was an amazing footballer, who at his peak formed a great partnership with Carlos Alberto producing one of the best WC performances from a player in 1970. Scoring over 250 goals in his career he was prolific and electrifying forward and man for the occasion.

SS: Eusébio - considered one of the greatest goalscorers ever, the "Black Panther" lit up the WC in 1966. Hard to imagine a more decisive player than him who turned the game against North Korea practically on his own with Portugal having their back to the wall and being 3-0 down. Eusebio's nine goals in England propelled Portugal to a third-place finish, and a succession of opposing teams simply had no answer to the power and pace of his play. Eusébio was the catalyst of the great Benfica side that was one of the best European teams in the early 60's.

CF: Denis Law - "The King" was a complete CF and probably the best strikers United had in their history. Denis was the showman supreme. He was more than a mere goal scorer whose cavalier thrusts and menacing darts brought panic to opposing defences. Law was an inspiration to those around him at club and country level and to younger generations of fans everywhere. Team-mates adored him, opponents feared him and fans revered him. He was a free spirit, an extrovert, a complete one-off, a rare combination of impudence and intelligence, class and clout. Denis Law is, was and always will be The King. He will form a truly complimentary partnership along with Eusebio, that has already happened back in 1963:

Player roles:

GK: Sepp Maier - Excellent shot stopper, wall for opposing attackers.
LB: Giacinto Facchetti - Enthusiastic full back manning the whole flank and contributing in both phases
RB: Carlos Alberto - Like Facchetti on the other side, he'll be contributing in both phases and renewing his awesome partnership with Jairzinho.
CB: Hector Chumpitaz - complete CB who combines strength, pace and an excellent man marker.
CB: Franz Beckenbauer - 'The Libero'
DM: Nobby Stiles - defensive midfielder in anchor role. Will drop back to defence when Beckenbauer forays forward.
CM: Willem Van Hanegem - Box to box in his favorite role - the engine of the team.
CM: Netzer - The playmaker of the team, will be running the game with his exquisite passing game and vision.
RW: Jairzinho - Right winger in his 1970 role.
SS: Eusebio - second striker and free roaming forward, playing in free role and causing havoc in the opposition defence with pace, power and darting runs.
CF: Denis Law - Complete striker with top notch movement and excellent finishing

Key Points:
- Amazing defence consisting of two GOAT full backs, the best defensive player in history in Beckenbauer complimented by one of South America greats in Chumpitaz and Maier being the last line of defence.
- complimentary midfield full of grit, determination, engine and awesome playmaking ability in Netzer.
- Attack lead by two of the greatest goalscorers in the game in Eusebio and Law, whilst also having a proven right flank combo and Facchetti on the left.
- Very direct side capable of moving the ball very fast with Netzer/Hanegem and Beckenbauer able to find our attackers with pinpoint passes.
- Equally devastating both on the flanks and also through the middle.

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
@Edgar Allan Pillow

I haven't updated all the names in the picture: Dzajic plays as explained in the write-up. Thanks

Last edited:

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Three changes have been made :)

- Tostao replaces Cubillas to assist Cruyjff
- Dzajic replaces Lato
- Haan replaces Jansen
You know that Haan still isn't present on any formation?

Enigma_87

You know who
Good luck @Ecstatic !

I really struggled to field another player and thought of probably 5-6 different combinations, but much like Jose I wanted to field the best men up for the job. With only Wimmer as a reinforcement couldn't really rotate things much.

Maybe bring in Keizer on for one of the forwards but I was literally only losing with that move rather than gaining something.

Couple of concerns in the previous game is the left flank, which again I wanted to try the Van Hanegem/Facchetti combination with also Eusebio weaving into space and having the time on the ball to make some of his trademark runs.

To me this draft is all about the Netzer/Law, Beckenbauer in his libero role with Stiles dropping in, whilst also having one of the best right flanks I've put in these things. :drool:

Enigma_87

You know who
I'll shamelessly steal some of the great work @Joga Bonito put for Denis Law for those who doesn't follow closely the United forum.

Will kick it off with a game where he and Eusebio worked excellently together to showcase the chemistry between them in this game(in the OP as well):

An awesome compilation of course, underlining his all round game and terrific finishing.

Artiste and assassin, entertainer and executioner, showman and swordsman - Denis Law. The name simply shimmers and sparkles with charisma. It whisks you off to a golden, bygone era when football truly was the beautiful game. Performing for his country, he was the Dark Blue Pimpernel, a character with a rare and spectacular combination of elegance and menace; a debonair destroyer; a master of improvisation; a contortionist in the box.

Denis was the showman supreme. He was more than a mere goal scorer whose cavalier thrusts and menacing darts brought panic to opposing defences. Law was an inspiration to those around him at club and country level and to younger generations of fans everywhere. Team-mates adored him, opponents feared him and fans revered him. He was a free spirit, an extrovert, a complete one-off, a rare combination of impudence and intelligence, class and clout. Denis Law is, was and always will be The King.
In the summer of 1962 Lawmania would hit Old Trafford as fans instantly recognised a player brilliant enough to win games almost single-handedly. Over the next six years, he proved the catalyst for Matt Busby's final push for European glory and, though he missed the final in 1968, few doubted his influence. As distinguished Manchester United historian Brian Hughes makes clear, Law, more than any other player, typified United's flamboyance in this period.
I was delighted the Old Man had made a signing of such quality - it worked against the idea that the club would never touch the levels of consistent brilliance and excitement, that were achieved in the years before Munich. I told Denis this when he arrived for his first training session. I said "It's very good to have you around,' and he gave me that sidelong, slightly quizzical smile that would become so familiar to me down the years. It was as though a lot of the magic and the aura of the old United had been conjured up at a single stroke.
- Sir Bobby on Law

Denis Law proved to be a pivotal figure in his first season, as Untied won their first trophy since post Munich, the FA cup. He came 4th in the Ballon d'Or voting as he notched 29 goals in 44 appearances. Law particularly had a great cup campaign, as he scored 6 goals in 6 FA cup games and would leave an indelible mark on the final.
Banks and Law would go on to have plenty of great duels for both club and country with Banks commenting "I thought Denis was a great competitor. The press often referred to him as the Electric Eel. I think Electric Heel would have been more appropriate. He had such fast reactions in the penalty box that it was as if he was plugged into the mains. I will always remember - with mixed feelings - his remarkable performance for United against Leicester in the 1963 FA Cup Final. He produced one of the greatest forward displays ever seen at Wembley and inspired United to a 3-1 triumph."

Law would then go on to bang in a stunning 46 goals in 42 games in the next season - an unprecedented feat which landed him the prestigious Ballon d'Or, making him the first ever Untied player to win it.

Law himself was surprised with the award - “Maybe there was a mistake in the mathematics,” he suggested humbly.

After all, Luis Suárez was the mastermind of Inter Milan’s 1964 European Cup and World Club Championship double. For good measure, he was the best player in the year’s European Nations’ Cup, which Spain won.

However, Law's stunning goalscoring exploits were too much to ignore, albeit it being in a trophy-less season and he won the Ballon d'Or over Luis Suárez by 18 points.

United fans absolutely adored him and idolised him. The King duly repaid their adulation with 237 goals in 404 matches during 11 seasons, which produced one FA Cup (1963), two League Championships under his captaincy (1965, 1967) and the European Cup (1968).
The game against Leicester:

Last edited:

Enigma_87

You know who
Additional quotes on Law in addition to the above:

Denis Law was my hero as a player. I idolised him. When I first met him I was so excited. It was at a game in Paris, he had played in the first half and we went for a cup of tea afterwards.

I thought: ‘This is it, I’ve made it, I’m having a cup of tea with Denis Law!’ For me, he epitomised everything a Scotsman is about. He was daring and courageous, he had that bravado about him and he had style. He was a truly fantastic footballer.”
- Sir Alex Ferguson

“He was a phenomenal footballer and there was hardly anything of him, he was so slight. You would have thought defenders would have snapped him in two with crunching tackles, but you would be wrong. Denis mixed it with the biggest physically, but it was they who came off second best. He scored fantastic goals throughout, yet there were countless ones from one or two yards. He was also a superb all-round footballer, not just a goalscorer. He is a super guy and I am proud to have him as a friend.”

– David Sadler

“Denis was fast, arrogant, tough, skilful, sharp, good in the air and it all just boiled down to a fantastic player. He was magic. Denis was a fierce competitor too – not long after that I played against him for England when we came up against Scotland, and he tried to kick me in the first minute! He was right up for it and he could handle himself, all right. If somebody fouled him he would be up and telling them he’d chin them!”
– Sir Bobby Charlton

“When I turned professional at Millwall, my signing-on fee was tickets to the 1963 Cup final when United beat Leicester and Denis scored. Three years later he was a team- mate, and he also scored on my debut for United in the derby against City, a fantastic overhead kick. Denis was deadly between the penalty spot and the six-yard box. He had lightning fast reflexes and if a goalkeeper mishandled, he was on it in a flash. He leapt like a salmon when heading the ball. Denis was also a class player outside the box, though he never tackled. He would beat opponents by playing one-twos and through his quickness of mind.”
– Alex Stepney

“Up there with the all-time greats. Electric. As a bloke and as a pal he’s different class.”
– George Best

“Denis was a poacher in the 18-yard box, where he came alive. He could read situations and was a brilliant goalscorer. When I made my United debut at Stoke in March 1968, I was so proud stood on the centre spot at kick-off alongside my boyhood hero. It was a dream come true. I was still studying for a degree and he nicknamed me Bamber [Gascoigne] after University Challenge. And when I bump into Denis, he still calls me Bamber, which is great after all these years.”
– Alan Gowling

“I am a Manchester lad and I idolised the ‘Lawman’ when I was young, so it was fantastic and an honour to play alongside him. I have been lucky to have had a long career, as a player and coach, and Denis is without doubt one of the best players of all time and a world-class striker. He was great to me, giving me an education both on and off the field. As a young boy, he said to me: ‘Remember two little things. Never stand still in the box and, if you are ever out wide, stick the ball to the far post and I will be there.'”
– Brian Kidd

“I was a young player when I signed for United in 1960 and not long after Denis returned from Italy as the club was still rebuilding. Our job was simply to defend and get the ball to the halfway line, give it to Denis, Bobby or George and let them do their job, which was to win the game for us. Denis had a beautiful touch and wonderful shimmy. His movement was excellent, he was lightning quick and he also had a rare talent of being able to see everything in front of him. He would commit the keeper to go one way and prod the ball in the other side.”

– Tony Dunne

“Denis was fantastic – a great player and a funny man too. He was so hilarious. We had some great times on the pitch, but that was the case off the pitch as well. He was a real mickey-taker. I’ll always remember us lining up for Scotland in the tunnel at Wembley before playing England in 1965. It was Nobby Stiles’ first game for England and I wished him all the best. Nobby looked at Denis and wished him all the best, and Denis told him to eff off. It really made me laugh but Denis was totally serious!”
– Paddy Crerand
“The public absolutely loved him. They couldn’t take their eyes off him. When the ball went into a position where Denis might be there to put it in the net, the fans would step forward in anticipation. There were times when he was simply unstoppable. Whenever I see Denis at Old Trafford now it’s always a pleasure. He’s always got that cheeky look about him – and he could be incredibly cheeky as a player. I feel so proud to be associated with him. He was a great player and it was an honour to share a pitch with him.”
– Sir Bobby Charlton

“Manchester United has had some great finishers – Ruud van Nistelrooy, Robin van Persie – but Denis was the best of the lot. If I’m not mistaken, he was the first player to employ the scissor kick and scored some spectacular goals. The one that stands out was the goal that never was in the European Cup semi-final second leg against AC Milan at Old Trafford in 1969. Denis’ header crossed the line before the keeper scooped it out; it wasn’t given.”
– Willie Morgan

Last edited:

Enigma_87

You know who
A bit about Netzer and the ability to find his man - key to this game and the mechanics. The boy can pick up a pass:

:drool:

Netzer should be remembered as much for what he and his like brought to the game as much as his skill. His own man, someone who believed in his ability to see him through, he was part of what made football in the 1970s so brilliant. It was the likes of Netzer who made this particular boy pick up a football every afternoon and forty years later with no more than a passing interest in today’s game look back at his era with a broad grin.
Euro Moments: Was the unstoppable 1972 force the best German team ever?
Inspired by goals of Gerd Muller and the class of Günter Netzer, Germany won the finals

Not everybody embraced the European Championships from its inception and having only entered for the first time in 1968 when a group stage scoreless draw in Albania prematurely ended their involvement, West Germany properly announced their arrival at the party in 1972.

Gerd Müller’s goals had propelled them to the finals this time with four in a qualifying group that the Germans came through unbeaten and though Günter Netzer was actually the star of the show, he scored again at Wembley where a 3-1 victory essentially decided the team’s quarterfinal against England.

The Belgians beat holders Italy at the same stage, a win that, with the other prospective hosts all going out, gave them the opportunity to stage the tournament.

That, they hoped, would enable them to emulate the Spanish and Italians by lifting the trophy on home soil. Sadly for them, Müller and the rest of the Germans had other ideas.

The locals actually played pretty well in Antwerp but they needed to take what chances they created and they simply didn’t do that. The Germans, by contrast, created so many that it seemed only a matter of time before they got the goals they needed. In the end, Müller got both in a 2-1 victory, the first coming when he got ahead of Jean Thissen to head Netzer’s lob over the defender and goalkeeper Christian Piot; the second after Netzer’s through ball allowed the striker to run in behind Thissen and fire home.

In the final, the Germans blew the Soviets away; outplaying them in every area of the pitch with a display of passing brilliance as Franz Beckenbauer ran things towards the back and Netzer towards the front.

“We didn’t fear the Russians in the final,” said Müller, who was to score another couple of goals to bring his overall tally for the competition to nine. “Everything worked well. The team worked, the coach worked, it was great. The team was on a roll and we won. That final was the best of the lot.”

It was, some contended, the first great display of total football and Beckenbauer claimed afterwards that this was his nation’s greatest side. He was not alone.

“I think we put in a good performance against West Germany,” said Belgian skipper Paul van Himst. “For us, we played a really good match, unfortunately we conceded two goals, but against teams like that...”

“With Gerd Mueller, Franz Beckenbauer, Gunter Netzer, Sepp Maier in the goal, it was the best ever German team I think.”

game against England

Enigma_87

You know who
I may be wrong, but didn't @Joga Bonito had a 30 minutes long compilation of him?
Yes, an awesome watch also, posted it in the last game I think so trying to spice things up a bit here :)

Has also the Beckenbauer/Netzer compilations where they move with the ball and their vertical movement.

Picked Wimmer as his water carrier but in this game still think Stiles is the better option as he'd stay back and allow for that chemistry to work when der Kaiser pushes in midfield.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG

Krol, Haan, Cruyff and Beckenbauer on the pitch - The first 120 seconds of the 1974 WC Final - to be watched

George Best - Man of the Match against Benfica & Eusebio (European Cup Final in 1968)

Haan & Pirri - Ready for the battle midfield and scoring

Figueroa

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
@Enigma_87

My presentation is finished. I'm just waiting for the comments of the neutrals to kick off the game and discussions!

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
The 7 commandments

1. Vogts versus Eusebio: the German is a man who likes the challenges.

Bertie Vogts, was chosen to mark Cruyff on the basis that he had once played the Dutchman out of the game in a long ago youth tournament. Be that as it may, in the opening minute Holland broke away. There were 15 consecutive passes before Cruyff went round Vogts as if he were invisible. He raced into the box where Hoeness lunged and brought him down. Penalty. 1-0. The Germans hadn't even touched the ball. It was the most amazing start ever to a World Cup Final.
For half an hour, the Dutch did much as they pleased. But then Vogts began to shackle Cruyff and the Germans scored two goals, the first a penalty and the winner from the boot of Gerd Muller.
2. Best will be inclined to find space between Van Hanegem & Fachetti to cut inside
Useless to specify that Fachetti has to keep in mind that Best is dangerous in counter-attack.

3. The brilliant Eusebio isn't a pure winger. 2 possibilities:
a. Eusebio spends a lot of time on the wing, not his best role
b. Eusebio acts a second striker so it's mainly Fachetti who would bring width

4. The role of Tostao - especially back to the goal - is to attract the opposing defensive players and be a platform to the 3 other offensive players.

5. I can see a lot of offensive combinations on my left
- Djazic entering at the heart of the game to enable Krol to attack
- Tostao moving on the left to allow Dzajic to enter the heart of the game

6. ...in a context where the right defensive unit of Enigma is very offensive: Beckenbauer and Carlos Alberto

7. The underrated (because unknown for most of us) Haan-Pirri to enable the team to win the battle midfield

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
The 7 commandments

1. Vogts versus Eusebio: the German is a man who likes the challenges.

2. Best will be inclined to find space between Van Hanegem & Fachetti to cut inside
Useless to specify that Fachetti has to keep in mind that Best is dangerous in counter-attack.

3. The brilliant Eusebio isn't a pure winger. 2 possibilities:
a. Eusebio spends a lot of time on the wing, not his best role
b. Eusebio acts a second striker so it's mainly Fachetti who would bring width

4. The role of Tostao - especially back to the goal - is to attract the opposing defensive players and be a platform to the 3 other offensive players.

5. I can see a lot of offensive combinations on my left
- Djazic entering at the heart of the game to enable Krol to attack
- Tostao moving on the left to allow Dzajic to enter the heart of the game

6. ...in a context where the right defensive unit of Enigma is very offensive: Beckenbauer and Carlos Alberto

7. The underrated (because unknown for most of us) Haan-Pirri to enable the team to win the battle midfield
Thought there are supposed to be 10 commandments.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Tough match. A Cruyff starring total football side against Enigma's counter attacking side. I like the unorthodox left hand side. Facchetti can dominate a flank, Eusebio and van Hanegem both loved working in that inside left channel and Chumpitaz was great at covering the left for an attacking full-back on the Peruvian national team (Diaz). Tostao I also like for his interplay with Dzajic and Cruyff and ability to facilitate Best. That's a very fluid front three. Cruyff vs. Beckenbauer is always fun. tough to see either side get a distinct advantage here though.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Three changes have been made :)

- Tostao replaces Cubillas to assist Cruyjff
- Dzajic replaces Lato
- Haan replaces Jansen
Good changes IMO. Dzajic for Lato is an upgrade, and I really like Tostao as an exceptionally high level facilitator for Cruyff, Dzajic and Best. Haan and Jansen are both excellent players, but I guess an advantage of Haan is that you pack a highly potent goal threat from central midfield with him and Pirri.

Enigma's team is fantastic too. Very tough to choose a winner here.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
This is close but gone for Ecstatic. I'm still not sold on Enigma's left side especially up against Best. Also I think the movement, fluidity and pace of Ecstatic's front four could expose Stiles' lack of mobility.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Two great teams. Love that Ecstatic attack.
Tough match. A Cruyff starring total football side against Enigma's counter attacking side. I like the unorthodox left hand side. Facchetti can dominate a flank, Eusebio and van Hanegem both loved working in that inside left channel and Chumpitaz was great at covering the left for an attacking full-back on the Peruvian national team (Diaz). Tostao I also like for his interplay with Dzajic and Cruyff and ability to facilitate Best. That's a very fluid front three. Cruyff vs. Beckenbauer is always fun. tough to see either side get a distinct advantage here though.
Good changes IMO. Dzajic for Lato is an upgrade, and I really like Tostao as an exceptionally high level facilitator for Cruyff, Dzajic and Best. Haan and Jansen are both excellent players, but I guess an advantage of Haan is that you pack a highly potent goal threat from central midfield with him and Pirri.

Enigma's team is fantastic too. Very tough to choose a winner here.
Thanks for your comments. Close game indeed.

Tostao is interesting from a tactical perspective (there is a video above)

He moves a lot and could be viewed as an additional midfielder/winger at times.

In a certain sense, we could say I play with 2 false 9, two collective players

>>> Tostao is a player that likes to play back to goal: the idea is to get support but also to enable the team to play higher on the pitch. It shows a constructive spirit: it's the contrary of a player who runs with his head down. Consequently, he will be always followed by a defender/midfielder and creating space for the other 3 other offensive players who are always looking for space
>>> On the other hand, Cruyff likes to organize the game and need movement around him to find the breach: the definition of a deep-lying forward.

Also, Tostao is left-footed so he will be inclined to combine with Dzajic who is more collective than Best and relies more on his vision and playmaking skills. Best needs freedom and doesn't need a right-back to attack while Dzajic would appreciate an offensive Krol

Tostao can both make the midfield more compact and stretch the defence.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Tostao the visionary
(FIFA.com) 08 Nov 2013

© Getty Images

Fate works in mysterious ways. The fact that Tostao was forced to hang up his boots early not because of a broken knee or a hurt ankle, but because of an eye injury, was a chance event. But in a roundabout way, it was a symbolically suitable manner to end his playing career.

After all, it was his all-seeing eyes – and the sharp brain wired to them – that was the secret behind Eduardo Goncalves de Andrade’s genius as a player. Several attributes may have been missing from the diminutive striker’s game, but one thing he had in abundance was vision.

“I stood out because of my passing, my dribbling, my timing in the box and above all my ability to anticipate what was about to happen,” the Brazilian explained in his 1997 book entitled Tostão, Lembranças, Opiniões, Reflexões sobre Futebol (Tostao, Memories, Opinions and Reflections on Football). “I had several shortcomings that I reduced over time, through hard work in training every day. I practically only used my left foot, I couldn’t head the ball – I did so with my eyes shut – I was slow over medium and long distances. Moreover, my long-range shooting was poor, while my technical and physical limitations (and lack of pace) meant I couldn't keep up with my speed of thought. My mind rapidly told my body what it wanted it to do, but my body often didn’t obey. Nevertheless, I was extremely self-critical, and I always believed I could make myself a better player.”

It is clear from the above that Tostao was brutally honest in assessing his own abilities. Those reading that description could easily forget it refers to a player who was a regular in one of the most prodigiously talented attacks in football history, Brazil’s 1970 World Cup winning team. Furthermore, Tostao was the chief protagonist at his club, Cruzeiro. The brilliance of his displays there helped make them one of Brazil’s biggest clubs in the sixties, at a time when the country was teeming with great sides, not least Pele’s Santos.

Beyond his magnificent play on the pitch, Tostao had a great footballing brain. He pondered deeply about the game. Star players, as a rule, intuitively know what to do. “How do they know? They know, but they don’t know they know. It is knowledge that transcends human comprehension,” explained Tostao. The difference is that, as well as being born with this instinctive knowledge, Tostao had the intelligence to analyse it with precision, and then put this analysis into practice during his career. “Jean-Claude Killy, the famous French skier, used to train mentally with a stopwatch and would say that he managed almost the same time when it came to the actual race,” he said. “I trained the moves mentally, constantly picturing game situations in my mind’s eye.”

'Everything went dark'
The innate capacity to observe that set Tostao apart made the events of a rainy September afternoon in 1969, in Pacaembu, Sao Paulo, all the more poignant. Cruzeiro were up against Corinthians and on the attack when Tostao slipped and fell, losing control of the ball. It ran to Corinthians centre-back Ditao, who attempted to clear it as far upfield as possible. Tostao’s face was in the way of the wet and heavy ball - or more specifically his left eye was. The impact left Tostao with a dislocated retina. More than simply jeopardising his presence at the following year’s World Cup, the player's entire career was left hanging in the balance, and worse still, his very eyesight.

“I tried to stay calm. The worse thing at the beginning was the uncertainty, but I gradually gained confidence that everything would sort itself out,” he said. “I started making plans: surgery at the start of October, six months’ recovery time, back training again in April and in June I’d be at the World Cup. And that’s exactly how it worked out.” In the midst of these plans, in March 1970, Brazil ousted the coach who had made Tostao an undisputed starter, Joao Saldanha, replacing him with Zagallo. At the beginning of the new coach’s reign, Tostao was the second choice striker. In other words, Pele’s substitute.

While he was recovering from surgery and training to get himself fit for the Mexico World Cup – Tostao only knew he would make it shortly before the tournament kicked off – he spent time doing what he had always done: watching and thinking. He was not a regulation No9 like the coach wanted in his attack, but he knew he could offer something else, and be of even more use, alongside Pele, Jairzinho and Rivellino. “I wasn’t the centre forward that Zagallo wanted initially, a striker up front, or a midfielder like I was for Cruzeiro,” Tostao explained, looking back on the brilliant role he played in the World Cup. “I was an attacking midfielder, serving as a linchpin and supporting the superstars that came behind me. I realised A Seleção needed a player like that, who was technical, intelligent, a good passer, and not simply a goalscorer.”

Different roles, same endeavour
Being an essential part of a World Cup winning team as brilliant as Brazil’s 1970 vintage could have been the fairytale ending needed to eradicate the memory of his dramatic injury. But fate took another turn. After two more seasons playing for Cruzeiro and one for Vasco da Gama, whereTostao moved to in 1972, one of his routine tests brought bad news: his eye problem had returned. Another operation and subsequent rehabilitation period ensued, but this time, at 26 years of age, came the definitive diagnosis: Tostao’s poor vision was incompatible with playing professional football. Furthermore, every time he stepped onto the pitch he would run the risk of completely losing his sight in his left eye.

Tostao’s career lasted just long enough to leave no doubts that, thanks to razor sharp wits and exceptional vision, he was a genuine star. And it was as if the Gods had decided this intelligence and vision could not be reserved wholly for football’s benefit.

“At 18, I chose football rather than going to university because I realised I could be a special player. I put my youthful dreams of building a professional career, educating myself and saving the world on hold,” he said. “I looked at football not as a profession, but as a serious, profitable and temporary leisure activity that I couldn’t miss out on.”

In 1975, the ex-player enrolled for a medicine degree, subsequently qualified as a doctor and became a university professor. He put football to one side and shunned contact with the media. It was not a question of disillusionment or anger. He simply immersed himself in the medical world and that was the life he wanted to lead at the time.

This remained the case until 1994, when he accepted an invitation to go to the FIFA World Cup USA as a columnist and commentator. It opened the door to another life, and an eminently logical step. Tostao became one of Brazil’s greatest football writers, specialising in doing off the pitch what he had done so outstandingly on it: seeing what nobody else sees.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
This is close but gone for Ecstatic. I'm still not sold on Enigma's left side especially up against Best. Also I think the movement, fluidity and pace of Ecstatic's front four could expose Stiles' lack of mobility.
Cheers.

Eusebio is a legend of the game: fantastic as a CF or support striker. So, Law/Best would work very well.

However, he is likely to be sacrificed in the name of the team balance because there isn't a left-winger UNLESS the central midfielder Van Hanegem spends a lot of time on the wing, which would raise the issue of the battle midfield.

Another scenario would be to consider Fachetti as a super man on the whole flank. Why not? But Best, Pirri & Vogts have to be taken into account.

I have the feeling that Stiles is great and mobile. My main concern would be Netzer who is the central midfielder on the pitch the less concerned about defensive tasks. IMO

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Cheers.

Eusebio is a legend of the game: fantastic as a CF or support striker. So, Law/Best would work very well.

However, he is likely to be sacrificed in the name of the team balance because there isn't a left-winger UNLESS the central midfielder Van Hanegem spends a lot of time on the wing, which would raise the issue of the battle midfield.

Another scenario would be to consider Fachetti as a super man on the whole flank. Why not? But Best, Pirri & Vogts have to be taken into account.

I have the feeling that Stiles is great and mobile. My main concern would be Netzer who is the central midfielder on the pitch the less concerned about defensive tasks. IMO
I'm possibly being a little unfair to Stiles overall but relative to your 3 behind the 1 I think it still relevant.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I'm possibly being a little unfair to Stiles overall but relative to your 3 behind the 1 I think it still relevant.
You're right here.

Stiles is mainly asked to protect the defence and enable Beckenbauer to attack.

Tough challenge for him to keep track of Cruyff though :D

Enigma_87

You know who
I feel this has been overblown a bit. Facchetti has been fantastic pretty much his whole career for both the national team and club manning the whole flank. Here he has van Hanegem supporting him in defence and Eusebio supporting him in attack in his natural free roaming role.

Tostao/Cruyff are excellent of course but we have the right CB's in Chumpitaz and Beckenbauer to track their movement and are generally excellent fit for their game, along with Stiles who can stifle Cruyff's game the hound he's in defence.

Enigma_87

You know who

Willem “Wim” van Hanegem was one of the best midfielders of his era, renowned for his delicate left foot, very strong heading, his great passing but also for his toughness when not on the ball. He joined the workers club Velox of Utrecht in 1960 at the age of 16 and made his debut in the first team in 1962 at the age of 18. His coach at Velox was Daan van Beek, who became a fatherlike figure for young Willem during the six years he played for the club. Velox was a second division side that played third fiddle in Utrecht to DOS and Elinkwijk, but van Hanegem later commented that he never played at a better club in his life. During his time at Velox, van Hanegem was usually playing as an outside left or sometimes even as a left back. It wasn’t before 1966 that van Hanegem decided to leave the small club to join a (slightly) bigger club in Xerxes Rotterdam, a first division side. At Xerxes, van Hanegem was coached by the German Kurt Linder, who was focusing on iron discipline and hard training methods. Although van Hanegem collided with his new coach more than once, he managed to trim down van Hanegem’s weight from 94 kilos to 81 kilos. Also, at Xerxes, a 4-2-4 was played in which van Hanegem was moved from outside left to inside left. In his second season at Xerxes, van Hanegem scored his all-time high record of 26 league goals, only two goals short of winning the top goal scorer’s crown. Xerxes finished third in the Dutch league that season and after making his debut for the Dutch national team in May 1968, it became clear that he would have to move to a bigger club than Xerxes. In the summer of 1968, van Hanegem joined Feijenoord Rotterdam, he was going to play six seasons for this club which was to become the most successful phase in the history of the club and van Hanegem was on his way to becoming a Feijenoord legend. Already in his first season at Feijenoord, van Hanegem won the Eredivisie and the Dutch Cup and a year later even triumphed in the European Champions’ Cup final in Milan vs. Glasgow Celtic. A tense game that was decided in extra-time, Feijenoord became the first Dutch club to win top honors in European football. Later that year, they also beat South American champions Estudiantes de la Plata to win the Intercontinental Cup.

A year later, van Hanegem went on to win his second Dutch championship with Feijenoord, a third would follow in 1974, that same year Feijenoord also beat Tottenham Hotspur in the UEFA Cup finals. By that time, the golden age for Feijenoord was about to end, finishing Dutch runners-up twice in 1975 and 1976. In 1976, Olympique Marseille offered van Hanegem and his Feijenoord colleague Wim Jansen a fortune, but van Hanegem declined and instead moved to aspiring new side AZ ’67 Alkmaar, where he won the Dutch Cup in 1978. After a season spent in the NASL with Chicago Stings, van Hanegem moved back to his hometown Utrecht, joining FC and then spent two final seasons at Feijenoord, with whom he almost won the Dutch championship in 1983, but Ajax proved too strong once more.

Playing for Holland, van Hanegem was an integral part of the 1974 Dutch side that shook the football world in the World Cup held in West Germany. In previous years, the Dutch team weakened itself due to the two camps in Dutch football – Ajax and Feijenoord – almost never being willing to work together as a team. This had changed in 1974 and the result was a breathtaking new take on how football could be played (still known today as “Total Football”). Being Feijenoord’s main man, Wim van Hanegem’s acceptance of Johan Cruijff’s unquestioned leadership was one, if not the main component of making this experiment work. At the age of thirty, Wim van Hanegem had reached the pinnacle of his career, being Dutch champion, UEFA Cup winner as well as highly respected World Cup participant. He remained a fixture of the Dutch team during the next two years, but by the beginning of the 1976-77 season, Dutch coaches began to look for younger players. However he had a brief comeback in time for the 1978 World Cup, but then didn’t make the squad, as Austrian coach Ernst Happel was not willing to guarantee him a place in the team, he decided to walk out of the training camp, officially reasoning that the season which had just ended had taken too much out of him, claiming that he really needed a rest. However van Hanegem later claimed the real reason was a dispute on money (not uncommong for Dutch players of his generation). Some people argue that van Hanegem’s absence was more crucial to Holland than that of Johan Cruijff, as van Hanegem was considered to be the best passer available to Holland at the time. A year later, van Hanegem made another brief comeback for Holland versus Belgiun, now aged 35, but then finally retired from international play.

In the Netherlands he is widely considered as one of the best Dutch football players in history. He was renowned for his tactical insight and was well known for his fantastic passing range and his ability with the ball at his feet. Both his way of sprinting (he had bandy legs), and his skill to give the ball a curve (achieved by striking the ball with the outside of his left foot) gave him the nickname De Kromme (The Crooked). Whilst being primarily renowned for the technical part of his game, he was also highly capable in the defensive part of his game, being a good tackler and not afraid to go into physical challenges.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs

Willem “Wim” van Hanegem was one of the best midfielders of his era, renowned for his delicate left foot, very strong heading, his great passing but also for his toughness when not on the ball. He joined the workers club Velox of Utrecht in 1960 at the age of 16 and made his debut in the first team in 1962 at the age of 18. His coach at Velox was Daan van Beek, who became a fatherlike figure for young Willem during the six years he played for the club. Velox was a second division side that played third fiddle in Utrecht to DOS and Elinkwijk, but van Hanegem later commented that he never played at a better club in his life. During his time at Velox, van Hanegem was usually playing as an outside left or sometimes even as a left back. It wasn’t before 1966 that van Hanegem decided to leave the small club to join a (slightly) bigger club in Xerxes Rotterdam, a first division side. At Xerxes, van Hanegem was coached by the German Kurt Linder, who was focusing on iron discipline and hard training methods. Although van Hanegem collided with his new coach more than once, he managed to trim down van Hanegem’s weight from 94 kilos to 81 kilos. Also, at Xerxes, a 4-2-4 was played in which van Hanegem was moved from outside left to inside left. In his second season at Xerxes, van Hanegem scored his all-time high record of 26 league goals, only two goals short of winning the top goal scorer’s crown. Xerxes finished third in the Dutch league that season and after making his debut for the Dutch national team in May 1968, it became clear that he would have to move to a bigger club than Xerxes. In the summer of 1968, van Hanegem joined Feijenoord Rotterdam, he was going to play six seasons for this club which was to become the most successful phase in the history of the club and van Hanegem was on his way to becoming a Feijenoord legend. Already in his first season at Feijenoord, van Hanegem won the Eredivisie and the Dutch Cup and a year later even triumphed in the European Champions’ Cup final in Milan vs. Glasgow Celtic. A tense game that was decided in extra-time, Feijenoord became the first Dutch club to win top honors in European football. Later that year, they also beat South American champions Estudiantes de la Plata to win the Intercontinental Cup.

A year later, van Hanegem went on to win his second Dutch championship with Feijenoord, a third would follow in 1974, that same year Feijenoord also beat Tottenham Hotspur in the UEFA Cup finals. By that time, the golden age for Feijenoord was about to end, finishing Dutch runners-up twice in 1975 and 1976. In 1976, Olympique Marseille offered van Hanegem and his Feijenoord colleague Wim Jansen a fortune, but van Hanegem declined and instead moved to aspiring new side AZ ’67 Alkmaar, where he won the Dutch Cup in 1978. After a season spent in the NASL with Chicago Stings, van Hanegem moved back to his hometown Utrecht, joining FC and then spent two final seasons at Feijenoord, with whom he almost won the Dutch championship in 1983, but Ajax proved too strong once more.

Playing for Holland, van Hanegem was an integral part of the 1974 Dutch side that shook the football world in the World Cup held in West Germany. In previous years, the Dutch team weakened itself due to the two camps in Dutch football – Ajax and Feijenoord – almost never being willing to work together as a team. This had changed in 1974 and the result was a breathtaking new take on how football could be played (still known today as “Total Football”). Being Feijenoord’s main man, Wim van Hanegem’s acceptance of Johan Cruijff’s unquestioned leadership was one, if not the main component of making this experiment work. At the age of thirty, Wim van Hanegem had reached the pinnacle of his career, being Dutch champion, UEFA Cup winner as well as highly respected World Cup participant. He remained a fixture of the Dutch team during the next two years, but by the beginning of the 1976-77 season, Dutch coaches began to look for younger players. However he had a brief comeback in time for the 1978 World Cup, but then didn’t make the squad, as Austrian coach Ernst Happel was not willing to guarantee him a place in the team, he decided to walk out of the training camp, officially reasoning that the season which had just ended had taken too much out of him, claiming that he really needed a rest. However van Hanegem later claimed the real reason was a dispute on money (not uncommong for Dutch players of his generation). Some people argue that van Hanegem’s absence was more crucial to Holland than that of Johan Cruijff, as van Hanegem was considered to be the best passer available to Holland at the time. A year later, van Hanegem made another brief comeback for Holland versus Belgiun, now aged 35, but then finally retired from international play.

In the Netherlands he is widely considered as one of the best Dutch football players in history. He was renowned for his tactical insight and was well known for his fantastic passing range and his ability with the ball at his feet. Both his way of sprinting (he had bandy legs), and his skill to give the ball a curve (achieved by striking the ball with the outside of his left foot) gave him the nickname De Kromme (The Crooked). Whilst being primarily renowned for the technical part of his game, he was also highly capable in the defensive part of his game, being a good tackler and not afraid to go into physical challenges.

Well, Johan himself is not playing him so must be shite.