Who wins in the context of a 442 theme?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Zlatan

Physio

Zlatan

Not much to say, vidic a stopper with hierro next to him able to carry ball out or pick out a long pass. 2 attacking touch tackling fullbacks.

Seedorf will play the most advanced of the two midfielders, lovely hard working central pair.

Flamboyant wingers who will happily carry the ball and drift inside enabling henry to pull out wide.

Begkamp playing deeper of the two forwards linking the midfield.

Physio

Tactics
– Direct/ Mixed
Formation – 442
Defensive Line Balanced
Marking – Zonal
Press – Half-Court

One clear advantage I have is a genuine great, and hardworking, playmaker in van Hanegem. He can mastermind the midfield and has full licence back to front to dictate as he sees fit. Partnered with the excellent defensive CM in Zito who is also very tidy on the ball. Flanked by the hardworking Zagallo provides excellent balance in midfield. Zagallo also allows me to field Marcelo to give him the freedom to provide and overlap on the left. The muscular and athletic Tresor can ably cover for him especially since dependable Armfield, who was described as the world’s best right back in 1962, will be more balanced. Blanc will marshal the defence and provide excellent passing from CB – also his knowledge of Henry will be invaluable in limiting his influence (with a balanced line and his quickness of mind Henry’s pace will not be as great of an issue as it might otherwise be, clearly Tresor helps too). Clearly one of the all time great keepers in Banks will not be easily passed.

Another place I have an advantage is that I have three huge goal threats: Batistuta is the best goalscorer on the pitch and was pretty pacy in his younger days. The Preston plumber who scored nearly 1 in 2 before he was shifted to second-striker. Finally Tostao who scored 32 goals in 52 games for Brazil and 249 goals in 378 games for Cruzeiro (I prefer more season based stats but I can’t find any for him). Further Tostao’s intelligence and passing will provide more creativity in the centre to play in Finney and Batistuta. Also his work off the ball out of possession will provide defensive solidity and give Zlatan’s midfield a problem in possession.

Finally, I have a lot of set piece threats. Both van Hanegem curl them in and Batistuta can blast them. Also from corners and crossed free kicks Tresor, Blanc and Batistuta cause Zlatan a lot of problems in the air.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Zlatan has a very well constructed side here although the use of Vieira here is a mistake. He was best as a B2B rather than as a DM. Seedorf played really as an 8 so doesn't fit well alongside him. I thought you would have gone for Effenberg as DLP to have an ultimate mean CM duo.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Zlatan has a very well constructed side here although the use of Vieira here is a mistake. He was best as a B2B rather than as a DM. Seedorf played really as an 8 so doesn't fit well alongside him. I thought you would have gone for Effenberg as DLP to have an ultimate mean CM duo.
Fair point and I agree really

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Why did you go for Seedorf instead?
I thought that a midfield of seedorf and viera would be more dynamic, both capable of a fight in midfield and playing a box to box role even if viera was the one was primarily the one who covered deeper more, not necessarily playing solely a dm role

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I thought that a midfield of seedorf and viera would be more dynamic, both capable of a fight in midfield and playing a box to box role even if viera was the one was primarily the one who covered deeper more, not necessarily playing solely a dm role
I can see that. Effenberg wasn't the most mobile. That said Seedorf does look odd as a CM in a 442 - he played his best further forward.

Himannv

I don't have a big problem with two B2Bs in a 4-4-2 really - the energy they bring is fine. The only reason it looks odd is because Seedorf is a bit more attacking than what you might ideally look for there.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
I don't have a big problem with two B2Bs in a 4-4-2 really - the energy they bring is fine. The only reason it looks odd is because Seedorf is a bit more attacking than what you might ideally look for there.
Yes and the pesky historical fact that Vieira had his peak alongside a DM such as Petit or Gilberto Silva. He really was at his best when he had a lot of licence to go forward.

On another issue, I really think Finney vs Pearce is a mismatch. Pearce was a good defender, but Finney is another level with his dribbling ability and with through balls from van Hanegem and Tostao he will be a complete menace (note, I know in the FA Cup final Finney drops deep to collect the ball but that's because he was by far Preston's best player, given his adaptable nature and work ethic, I'm sure he'd provide many off the ball runs)

Himannv

The Vidic vs Batistuta aerial battle will probably make for great watching I think.

Is there any awesome Tresor footage? I remember searching for some in the past and not finding a whole lot.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Both really good teams. What I like most is both got the 4-4-2 aspects of it spot on.

I think this is the first time I have seen Tostao being used as a support striker in a front 2 in our drafts, so that is great to see considering he was apparently most lethal in that role at club level.

Seedorf Vieira is a tough one to comment on. I don't particularly have any issues with it although the midfield could look better with a different profile of player there, perhaps a deep lying playmaker cum defensive midfielder. Add someone like Redondo there and you have nailed it.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
I think it's fine as a 4-man unit. Seedorf has played all the roles in the flat 4-4-2 midfield so can be dropped in anywhere really. In practice I think him and Hassler would look to get onto the ball to kickstart moves while Vieira and Waddle end up playing more up and down.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Been some time, but I recall Effenberg was more of a attacking B2B, rather than a DLP.
I like the current duo as Seedorf is more flexible to play foil to Vieira than Effenberg.

Any specific reason for Tostao on the right? He drifted all over, but imo he felt conformable drifting to the left.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
The Vidic vs Batistuta aerial battle will probably make for great watching I think.

Is there any awesome Tresor footage? I remember searching for some in the past and not finding a whole lot.
Here's a good short video comp. What you can really see is his athleticism which will be invaluable against Henry.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
Been some time, but I recall Effenberg was more of a attacking B2B, rather than a DLP.
I like the current duo as Seedorf is more flexible to play foil to Vieira than Effenberg.

Any specific reason for Tostao on the right? He drifted all over, but imo he felt conformable drifting to the left.
From memory Effenberg played either as a sort of 10 or a DLP - a bit like Toure: he was never a proper B2B.

Tostao is nominally on the right to more even distribute passing ability at the front but he does have licence to roam.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Late Effenberg at Bayern seemed to play more as a holding midfielder alongside a watercarrier in Jeremies or Hargreaves, with Scholl having the most license to push on.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Zlatan missed the trick having Blanc and Tresor after Vieira, then Pires here.

Last edited:

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
went for physio, brilliant side. Zlatan side is good but personally dont rate Hierro and Pierce that highly + think both Seedorf and Vieira are underused here.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Thanks for the input guys, pires was planned but i missed out. I made kind of a mish mash side in the end I was disappointed with.

Good luck in next game Phyiso

BorisDeLeFora

Thanks for the input guys, pires was planned but i missed out. I made kind of a mish mash side in the end I was disappointed with.

Yes I think both if us were going down a similar route st the beginning and ended up with one or two of each other's planned picks.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates

Thanks. I think you were a couple picks away from a really good side.