The 4th Sheep Draft - R16 Voting - Thread 2

Which 4 teams do you think should progress to the Quarter Finals?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Without surprise, onenil and Joga stand out from the crowd.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Oh! Tupet Brazil 1st round Pelé. I do remember now.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
@Joga Bonito Interested to know why you chose Matthaus for that central role. Neeskens who played in a similar role in European Cup '72 and I thought would be a better fit. And Matthaus as a supporting B2B would have not reduced his effectiveness anyhow. I just rate Neeskens offensively higher and Matthaus defensively higher.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
@Joga Bonito Interested to know why you chose Matthaus for that central role. Neeskens who played in a similar role in European Cup '72 and I thought would be a better fit. And Matthaus as a supporting B2B would have not reduced his effectiveness anyhow. I just rate Neeskens offensively higher and Matthaus defensively higher.
Surely it's best to set Matthäus free in his Inter incarnation? Not sure how Neeskens is better offensively than Matthäus too

Annahnomoss

@Skizzo @Annahnomoss WM is a jinxed formation, it seems. :lol:
:D Cheers for the vote mate. I think we were both slightly off target, you for your sheep and us because of having sort of a weak draft in general with constant 2nd picks which meant we had to go for a double playmaking pivot.

If you had just got a RCB as good as Förster so you could play Stam in the centre - and then a of WM right/left half combo then you'd have been one of the best sides in the draft. For us we sort of fell behind early and just wanted to form a decent 11 that would play entertaining and attacking football. A theme around Sivori and Liedholm.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Surely it's best to set Matthäus free in his Inter incarnation? Not sure how Neeskens is better offensively than Matthäus too
I agree with you here. The top priority should be to please Matthäus (offensively :drool:).

True that Neeskens was also good offensively.

Last edited:

Annahnomoss

Not in a draft. :lol: But I appreciate a Matthäus at his peak as we rarely see that in these drafts. Looking forward to the match thread.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
@Joga Bonito absolutely loving the way you use Lothar, IMO this is him at his absolute peak and finally someone decided to give him the main role and not the usual crap when he is playing as a b2b behind a dominant number 10....

also would say i was really close to vote for @Tuppet and now when i see the votes im feeling a bit down as that side isnt getting much love and its brilliant, both tactically and individually. Great pool in this round, like this teams better then the ones in first topic.

Enigma_87

You know who
Joga and onenil are the outstanding teams IMO with Raees close 3rd. Can't fault either side and some GOATs in it and 1-2 additions for each side and they are ready for the finals.

The 4th team is really close for me - like them all really. Will add my 4th vote after going through the discussions.

@Downcast how do you see Scirea and Moore pairing and Robson in that more deeperish role? I think that's the biggest question mark over your team, otherwise it has a great potential.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
It makes sense to swap Robson and Verratti to free Scirea.

My back 4 is not the best one: @oneniltothearsenal has the best defence at first sight :)
Camoranesi is not a trivial/traditional modern winger. He was mainly deployed as right-side midfielder (like Robert Pirès... on the left side:smirk:). Camoranesi is a gift in tactical terms because he combines the Grinta of South-American players with the tactical awareness/versatility of a Calcio Player. High level of aggressivity & work-rate. On youtube, you could watch 'camoranesi in juventus'.
Cheers and Thanks Downcast. You put together an amazing team as well

@Skizzo @Annahnomoss WM is a jinxed formation, it seems. :lol:
I think the WM has two things working against it against newer formations. It has a natural lack of width that looks a little off on paper compared to modern formations.

And, more importantly for me, its historical place very often played into the old stereotype of 5 attackers + 5 defenders rather than 10 footballers contributing to both phases. On paper it looks that way too even with arrows. So I think in drafts, you would almost need the perfect players as it isn't visually the most appealing and historically has a stereotype of pre-total football in a sense.

Last edited:

harms

Staff
By the way, what a waste of talent partnering Scirea with Moore :( For it to be a great backline you'd need to bench one of them.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Joga and onenil are the outstanding teams IMO with Raees close 3rd. Can't fault either side and some GOATs in it and 1-2 additions for each side and they are ready for the finals.

The 4th team is really close for me - like them all really. Will add my 4th vote after going through the discussions.

@Downcast how do you see Scirea and Moore pairing and Robson in that more deeperish role? I think that's the biggest question mark over your team, otherwise it has a great potential.
I consider Scirea and Moore as complete defenders. The 1st one can play as a CD in a 4-3-3 system (Italy 86). Moore is more aggressive than Scirea and is known for his read of the game and his tackling.

England 66

Moore vs Brazil 70

I see Robson as a player part of my back 6 to support the 4 offensive players. My back 6: 2 central defenders + 2 conservative FB (they are better defensively than offensively) + Verratti + Robson. The arrows on Robson just mean the latter is extremely mobile and aggressive.

Robson with England in 1988

Olguin was deployed as a RB or a RCB

WC Final 1978
By the way, what a waste of talent partnering Scirea with Moore :( For it to be a great backline you'd need to bench one of them.
I understand your point of view: you would have preferred stopper like Gentile uncomfortable with the ball :D

Last edited:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
Therein lies the reason I love his team. THAT is Lothar not the load of bollocks functional DM-cum-B2B he is usually deployed as.

Annahnomoss

Cheers and Thanks Downcast. You put together an amazing team as well

I think the WM has two things working against it against newer formations. It has a natural lack of width that looks a little off on paper compared to modern formations.

And, more importantly for me, its historical place very often played into the old stereotype of 5 attackers + 5 defenders rather than 10 footballers contributing to both phases. On paper it looks that way too even with arrows. So I think in drafts, you would almost need the perfect players as it isn't visually the most appealing and historically has a stereotype of pre-total football in a sense.
I agree that it isn't a draft winner, but it also was the reason why you find some of the best individually skilled players from that era. You didn't have a full back to fanny about with and if you wanted to get something done you had to do it yourself. Players like Matthews, Hamrin and Sivori would be rated closer to Messi if they played these days the way they'd get past their defender in every attack without relying on a play to open up space.

antohan

Moore, like Baresi, is someone I don't mind seeing partnered with a ball-playing CB. It is a shame though that he has excess quality centrally while lacking it at fullback.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
@harms

I don't know if you team would have received more love with the following team:

Rummenige + Kluivert
Blomqvist+Turan+Falcao+Figo
Zanetti+Rijkaard+Vidic+Thuram

With Gio/Joga/onenil, the best defence on paper.

Last edited:

harms

Staff
@harms

I don't know if you team would have received more love with the following team:

Rummenige + Kluivert
Blomqvist+Turan+Falcao+Figo
Zanetti+Rijkaard+Vidic+Thuram

With Gio/Joga/onenil, the best defence on paper.
I considered it, obviously, but Turan is too lightweight to play in a midfield two, imo.

harms

Staff
Moore, like Baresi, is someone I don't mind seeing partnered with a ball-playing CB. It is a shame though that he has excess quality centrally while lacking it at fullback.
I'm not even talking about ball-playing problem but rather about them being much better while paired with a physical stopper (Brio/Collovati or Jack Charlton) next to them. Of course they have enough quality to stop most of the forwards anyway, but he is definitely not using them at their full potential.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I considered it, obviously, but Turan is too lightweight to play in a midfield two, imo.
I've lost 26-6 a game with Brolin and Maniche in a midfield 2 despite 5 defenders.

You had no real choice.

antohan

I'm not even talking about ball-playing problem but rather about them being much better while paired with a physical stopper (Brio/Collovati or Jack Charlton) next to them. Of course they have enough quality to stop most of the forwards anyway, but he is definitely not using them at their full potential.
That's what I meant, that they have the attributes to perform that function where needed (same with Figueroa btw). Is it their optimal use? No, certainly not.

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
I feel bad for Tuppet here, who just narrowly missed the cut for me. He looked near unstoppable early in the drafting but that round when he lost Pele was brutal for him. Orsi was left-sided as far as I can tell though so that right wing was looking a bit barren with the defensive-minded Ferrara behind him. Czibor seemed very comfortable playing on the right wing so maybe he'd have been better deployed there instead.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
@Raees

Why were you not happy with getting Deschamps, initially? He's become a perfect foil for Gerson in that team, and in a side with a SS like Bergkamp as a #10, Deschamps is a crucial player to have.

You should thank me for giving him to you, by the way.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
@Raees

Why were you not happy with getting Deschamps, initially? He's become a perfect foil for Gerson in that team, and in a side with a SS like Bergkamp as a #10, Deschamps is a crucial player to have.

You should thank me for giving him to you, by the way.
Happy now but at the time I was desperately behind a lot of other sides with barely any big players and a team full of sheep and in that round bidded 40m for Falcao so was frustrated.

And thanks! Also thank you @VivaJanuzaj

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG

Team Skizzo/Annah is interesting. More aggressive defensive midfielders would have been the welcome.

@Annahnomoss

I thought you would have tried to take Gunnar Gren and Hamrin :wenger: