The Americas Draft, QF4: M/M/R vs M. Goodman

Considering players at their peak, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
In other words, an old school left back (left fullback, that is) is not an obvious choice for an LB berth in a more or less modern style back four.

That said, the purely defensive capability (the marking ability, if you will) of an old school LB should obviously not be underestimated. Nor the fact that these old school fullbacks by necessity operated in a wider area than a certain kind of pure (modern) stopper: They defended, primarily, against inside forwards - who often worked the channels, as the phrase goes, i.e. who operated wide-ish as well as purely centrally.
Agreed. Curious about Mascheroni's game, I reread 2 sources on the net and they do reiterate the points made by you and anto.

Although you have to give Ghiggia the edge here as it isn't exactly Mascheroni's ideal position in a back 4, he won't necessarily be hapless on the flank either.

The turbulent context of the match, Uruguay relying on garra for their rousing second half turn around, Monti being a pale shadow of himself ("standing, literally, soulless, without being the great playmaker that in normal circumstances he would have been, in the middle of the park"), the ref requiring protection for himself and his family with a boat waiting ready to take him back to Europe once the match was over :lol: and the aftermath of the match definitely do make for interesting reading.

Part of me also wonders, to what extent the different balls being used in final (Argentinean ball in the 1st half and Uruguayan one in the 2nd) impacted the flow of play, with Argentina being the better side in the first half and Uruguay coming back into the second with a strong showing. @antohan might probably have more info on the differences between both balls, or maybe it was all just a political gimmick which wouldn't be surprising given the fierce rivalry between Argentina and Uruguay.

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
The turbulent context of the match, Uruguay relying on garra for their rousing second half turn around, Monti being a pale shadow of himself ("standing, literally, soulless, without being the great playmaker that in normal circumstances he would have been, in the middle of the park"), the ref requiring protection for himself and his family with a boat waiting ready to take him back to Europe once the match was over :lol: and the aftermath of the match definitely do make for interesting reading.

Part of me also wonders, to what extent the different balls being used in final (Argentinean ball in the 1st half and Uruguayan one in the 2nd) impacted the flow of play, with Argentina being the better side in the first half and Uruguay coming back into the second with a strong showing. @antohan might probably have more info on the differences between both balls, or maybe it was all just a political gimmick which wouldn't be surprising given the fierce rivalry between Argentina and Uruguay.
The only balls-related problem was that at HT, while Lorenzo was telling his teammates he would kill them all if they lost, Monti was sitting down, holding his face while crying and wailing "If we win they'll kill us all" (as relayed by his teammate Paternoster to the Argie El Gráfico).

Oh Captain, my Captain. No wonder they lost.

And you can moan all you like about atmosphere, but that's the atmosphere South American football was played in until the 70s (when military regimes smashed any public gathering, in the process eliminating those hounding visiting sides).

By contrast, after the Maracanazo Obdulio went to a random bar and ordered some drinks while all the heartbroken Brazilians around him watched on in disbelief.

antohan

Funny that four years later it worked the opposite way for Monti, as Mussolini threatened to kill them all if they lost.

But, you know, Rooney is feeling the pressure that he might be dropped.

Fannies.

Deleted member 101472

10-4 is a joke here to be honest. no way its that big of a gulf, some people who scan voted shouldn't have

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
10-4 is a joke here to be honest. no way its that big of a gulf, some people who scan voted shouldn't have
I agree that the difference is too big to represent the actual game, but none of the voters can be called scan voters there. Gandhi is the new name and he did post here too. I doubt any of these lot would throw away a casual vote without consideration.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Funny that four years later it worked the opposite way for Monti, as Mussolini threatened to kill them all if they lost.

But, you know, Rooney is feeling the pressure that he might be dropped.

Fannies.
I did come across Andres Escobar during research for this draft. Fecking tragedy. I know it's a tongue in cheek comment, but in reality those days of physical violence and patriotism literally on the field.... I'm glad it's gone.

On the flip side I do agree that most players need to grow a pair!

antohan

It's not a scoreline, 2/3 think one team wins, which isn't outlandish.

Also, we shouldn't post the scoreline. The whole point of making it secret is people making up their mind independently.

antohan

I did come across Andres Escobar during research for this draft. Fecking tragedy. I know it's a tongue in cheek comment, but in reality those days of physical violence and patriotism literally on the field.... I'm glad it's gone.

On the flip side I do agree that most players need to grow a pair!
That's a completely different story and cup of tea. What I was referring to was intimidation, hostile atmospheres, camping around the hotel all night playing drums... Even with the odd bottle thrown in there were never any tragedies like Escobar's (which was linked to betting, not football fans).

antohan

Yep, I have no arguments. Mazher's writeup was great, and if he improves his right side he could potentially win this thing.
You can always tell from a good writeup which are the manager's areas of concern. In a bad one you ignore them and hope nobody picks them up.

This was very tight, I think Didí in midfield added a bit of extra spice for @Mazhar, but the main issue clearly was how underwhelming Mascheroni-Hurtado looked. It's not weak, just underwhelming in this context, and Ghiggia is only second to Garrincha in this draft. You could even argue him being a more direct player could be even more troublesome for a makeshift leftback, while Garrincha would probably let him recover from mistakes just so he could dribble past him again.