The Americas Draft, R1: EAP/Sjor vs DavidG 7-5

Considering players at their peak, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Deleted member 101472

So be it @DavidG

Going for EAP/Sjor. I don't buy Neymar as an outside left but I see them creating more chances than you. I really like the vid of Magico but it seems he was a very inconsistent player. If you'd had someone more like Riquelme I could see you doing more damage. Your wingbacks could do some damage but Jair will do more against Sorin.

Note, I do like the fact you were sending both full-backs up at the same time. Makes a lot of sense given the DM dropping into the defence.
He is inconsistent but we have to consider him at his peak performance, like all the players

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
He is inconsistent but we have to consider him at his peak performance, like all the players
The thing is, peak isn't one or two games, it has to be a couple of seasons - and Magico never had even one when he was consistently world-class.

Re: Senna -

The Guardian 2010 said:
Senna's role in liberating Spain's beauty was critical. The player Luis Aragonés, then in charge of Spain, referred to simply as "The Brazilian" built the solid stage upon which the artists could express themselves. He was the glue that held the team together. His capacity to do gladly what David Silva described as the "dirty work" was so impressive that he became one of the team's standout performers in one of its least glamorous positions.
He was one of the main reasons why São Caetano reached Libertadores final in 2002

He was brilliant for Villarreal in 2004/05 and 2005/06, earning Fergie's interest (but we settled on Hargreaves).

And Spanish dominance began with him, not after him - he was considered as one of the contenders for Euro's player of the tournament. Plus he was voted the best Spanish player in 2007/08 by Don Balon

It's especially strange to see criticism of Senna's short peak when you have Magico as one of your key players.

Enigma_87

You know who
The thing is, peak isn't one or two games, it has to be a couple of seasons - and Magico never had even one when he was consistently world-class.

Re: Senna -

He was one of the main reasons why São Caetano reached Libertadores final in 2002

He was brilliant for Villarreal in 2004/05 and 2005/06, earning Fergie's interest (but we settled on Hargreaves).

And Spanish dominance began with him, not after him - he was considered as one of the contenders for Euro's player of the tournament. Plus he was voted the best Spanish player in 2007/08 by Don Balon

It's especially strange to see criticism of Senna's short peak when you have Magico as one of your key players.
Didn't want to influence votes in the last minutes but I agree as well. To me Magico as well the weakest player on the pitch. He's fun to watch and has entertaining game - but apart from consistency - his peak is not that remarkable as the other players involved in this.

Senna was in the team of the tournament in 2008, best Spanish player when you have in mind he had Villa, Iniesta, Xavi etc to compete with and generally playing his best game here with the support of Varela.

Remember when the Caf was still going wild when we were linked with him even after 2008.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Shit. Was away from Internet, meant to vote before this closed. DG would have had my vote. Sorry.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
good game :)

@Physiocrat regarding Neymar....he is pretty much playing his natural position, we dont expect any changes in his game to fit our side. He is perfect the way he is and thats why we went for him pretty early.
Fair enough, I'd just prefer him playing inside-left with a proper winger at outside-left in a WM. Speaking of wingers, as ever I have a tasty pair over in my match with Pat.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Sorry @DavidG - I had planned to vote for you but I couldn't get online due to work today. Surprised at the result to be honest. A quick ball to Cafu and he's horsing down that flank without a care in the world. Do that a couple of times and it's game over. It was a fine 3-2-2-3 effort but I basically don't buy that system without extreme graft and covering abilities right through the team.

Deleted member 101472

Sorry @DavidG - I had planned to vote for you but I couldn't get online due to work today. Surprised at the result to be honest. A quick ball to Cafu and he's horsing down that flank without a care in the world. Do that a couple of times and it's game over. It was a fine 3-2-2-3 effort but I basically don't buy that system without extreme graft and covering abilities right through the team.
So both you and @Mciahel Goodman would have gone for me , bit easier to take I suppose.

Deleted member 101472

Didn't want to influence votes in the last minutes but I agree as well. To me Magico as well the weakest player on the pitch. He's fun to watch and has entertaining game - but apart from consistency - his peak is not that remarkable as the other players involved in this.

Senna was in the team of the tournament in 2008, best Spanish player when you have in mind he had Villa, Iniesta, Xavi etc to compete with and generally playing his best game here with the support of Varela.

Remember when the Caf was still going wild when we were linked with him even after 2008.
Magico is a wild card but I wanted to have a player from concacaf in my squad and in terms of potential game changer he fit the bill the most. There's only one maradona , and he can only have one list of his favourite players , which magico is on , and that's enough for me to justify his place. It's a shame he was so into partying , with the right application mixed with his talent he could have been a great. Tore Barcelona to shreds during one of his great performances.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Thanks mate. Always knew it'd be tough against Rivaldo and Cafu. Personally I think you were one midfielder short of a clear victory. Maybe Pool 2 quote screwed you a bit. If not for Pool 2, I'd have still thought this was your best lineup...

Clodoaldo....Romerito....
.........Alvarez..............

would have been perfect imo.

Anyways, great game!

Deleted member 101472

Thanks mate. Always knew it'd be tough against Rivaldo and Cafu. Personally I think you were one midfielder short of a clear victory. Maybe Pool 2 quote screwed you a bit. If not for Pool 2, I'd have still thought this was your best lineup...

Clodoaldo....Romerito....
.........Alvarez..............

would have been perfect imo.

Anyways, great game!
Aye at least our game would have guaranteed goals , a lot of these other first round games look like snoozefests ( although tactically great )

I wanted to play romerito but I can't really figure out his best position. Some have him as a wide midfielder , others as a conventional CAM but apparently he scored over 400 on his career so I decided to go for another approach. Didn't expect to Come up against a 3-2-5 at all though!

@Gio and @Mciahel Goodman are too modest to say but they were actually saving kids l/ puppies from burning buildings and that's why they couldn't vote. I say we call it 7-7 and let Chester run the penalties ;)

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
Can you explain your inspiration for this tactic? Is trying to recreate Chapman's Arsenal? Now that I look at it more closely, it does resemble Chapman's WM a lot.
Didn't expect to Come up against a 3-2-5 at all though
In recent matches, I've been trying to go after non-standard formations mostly.

Remake Draft: 3-4-3
Reserve Draft: 3-2-3-2 (with Dalglish and Rush added in :lol:)
Three Leagues Draft: 5-3-2
Billy No Mates - Pyramid 4-3-2-1

Never stuck with the same formation in successive drafts.

With Sjor, I wanted to continue the trend and we settled on WM/3-2-5 with a False 9 striker. We were pretty confident we'll crash out in R1, so the win is all the more nicer!

Just exploring new things and keeping ourselves amused was the inspiration imo :D

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Sorry. Busy week. I know the game is closed but will give my thoughts tomorrow after reading all the posts.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Great to see EAP/Sjor with an old-school tactical system that would work here for many reasons:

- Tostao was a collective player
- Jair Da Costa was a powerful winger able to defend a lot
- a midfield comprise of players potentially complementary

A system with wingers would have been more challenging for them.

David has also built a fantastic team and the #10 plays a big role in his offensive strategy: I guess it's not easy to sell a Mexican player in this draft!

@Šjor Bepo can't be the 'Lord' but could certainly apply for the King of the gifs position.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
David has also built a fantastic team and the #10 plays a big role in his offensive strategy: I guess it's not easy to sell a Mexican player in this draft!
What????? :lol:

Mate, Magico is El Salvadoran! You better edit that before any Central Americans read it ;)

That Platini, what a great Austrian legend!

Deleted member 101472

What????? :lol:

Mate, Magico is El Salvadoran! You better edit that before any Central Americans read it ;)

That Platini, what a great Austrian legend!
To be fair to him , magico Gonzalez does sound like the kinda Mexican guy who can get anyone across the border ...

Deleted member 101472

@antohan your quick assessment would be great here, I still cant understand how Cafu gets the right side to himself and i don't win this :lol:

antohan

gets aroused by tagline boobs
@antohan your quick assessment would be great here, I still cant understand how Cafu gets the right side to himself and i don't win this :lol:
Mate, I'd rather not comment much as EAP/Sjor are still in this and I'd rather see how it all pans out than sticking an oar into them here and there.

It's a strange game, but I'm not surprised at the result. You lacked a bit more star quality, particularly in midfield. You also failed to abide by rule No. 1: ALWAYS USE BIG CAPS FOR PLAYER NAMES, and also the footnote to rule No.1*

*Rule No.1 footnote: names in big caps don't only highlight your players, they also cover more pitch area. The more of the pitch seems covered the more it seems you have all angles covered, so even if you have a rather narrow frontline spread your players around a bit more and, with the help of big caps, it won't be so bleeding obvious. And if you don't lack width but look like you do then you can only blame yourself for not putting a bit more TLC into your teamsheet design.