The Americas Draft, R1: Jayvin vs Tuppet 6-7

Considering players at their peak, who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Team Jayvin:

Player Profiles

OVERVIEW:

My team is filled with quick, technical players and outstanding dribblers - with a powerful spine. Omar Sivori and Luis Suarez up front is a blend of creativity, finishing, pace and power. In behind them drifts the left footed poet Cesar Cueto who will float around midfield looking for space and waiting for an opening.

Fernando Redondo and Jose Velasquez marshal the midfield, with Redondo’s calm, composed passing game matched with the power and work rate of Velasquez.

In defence Rafael Marquez sits in the centre of a back 3 flanked by Ricardo Gomes and Roberto Sensini; a group of technically adept and versatile defenders, capable of covering for the forward forays of Alberto Tarantini and Maicon.

TACTICAL OUTLINE:

With a fluid formation and tactically versatile players, my team will be built around quick one-touch passing and pace and power on the counter.

Cueto is the main creative force, with a largely free role in midfield. Drifting left to right wherever the ball may be. Redondo keeping things ticking in the middle and supporting the attacks down the left flank when he can. Velasquez is the engine of the midfield, using his stamina to get up and down the field supporting the attacks and covering the midfield/Maicon.

Sivori takes the place of Cubillas from that Peruvian side of the 70’s, using his great dribbling and passing ability in tandem with Cueto to link the midfield and attack, as well as clinical finishing inside the box. Both Sivori and Luis Suarez are capable of attacking from wide and running the channels if needed, and Suarez in particular has a fantastic work-rate.

In defence, Tarantini's role will be slightly more defensive than his teammate Maicon on the right, who will be tasked along with Velasquez with providing forward thrust on that side. Both fullbacks are capable of supporting both phases of play to a high level in any case. In central defense Rafa Marquez’ calm and composed tackling allied with his quick, crisp passing will be crucial to beginning attacks for my side.

The Mexican is flanked by Ricardo Gomes and Roberto Sensini who are both capable of covering for their fullback if required, Sensini in particular played RB at numerous points in his career. Marquez himself can also move into a defensive midfield role as cover if Redondo/Velasquez push forward.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd

Team Tuppet:

Tactic:

• Formation - 4-3-3
  • Defensive line - High
  • Philosophy - Try to dominate possession, attack as much as possible.
  • Minimal crossing in air, try to keep the ball on ground. Wide forwards encouraged to cut inside and dribble with the ball, full backs encouraged to get forward.
  • While in Attacking phase central defenders are encouraged to go wide to allow full backs to push forward. Monti would drop in between to keep 3 defenders at the back.
There are many unknown players in my team and I have done an expanded write down on some of them here - Ademir Da guia, Hector Scarone and Antonio Sastre.

In keeping with South American tradition, this team is built to attack and dominate the game as much as possible. We won't be sitting back and soaking pressure cause we won't know how to do it. As such we believe that the best formation to get this working would be a modern 4-3-3.

Attack - In attack we have a combination of Finishing, flair, creativity and grit, all 3 of my forwards are legends in South American football having won numerous accolades ( Romario and Scarone being the star of 2 world cup winning sides ) and mesh together beautifully. The combination of El Mago - Scarone and Romario has the potential to steal the show. Scarone playing from his favorite inside right position created chances after chances for his striker partner (One armed Hector and Inside left Pedro Cea, while scoring a fair few himself) and there is arguably no one better to finish them then Romario.

Scarone would have complete freedom on the right side to do whatever he please, going wide or coming in, dropping deep to help in midfield using his tenacious work rate or taking long shots. On the left Cubilla would have a relatively disciplined role to stretch the pitch and work up and down trying to help Caetano as much as possible.

Midfield - Midfield is where things get really interesting. The best midfielder on the park Monti would be used to his best role where he would be the destroyer protecting the back four and dropping deep to help in defense. Ademir is the central playmaker of the team, he would be the one to set the tempo of the game and provide the control in the midfield. Sastre would act as a box to box playmaker with his combination of technique and steel, he would be providing help to Monti in defensive phase but would also be drifting to left or moving forward at attacking opportunities.

The technical proficiency of all 3 of our midfielders is the key attribute on which our side would try to build the possession game. With Sastre and De Guia (along with Scarone) we have so much creativity in the squad that it can not be shut down. Monti arguable being the best SA defensive midfielder provide the most solid platform for the midfield to function.

Defense - Perfumo would be the leader of my defense from back, a cultured defender who was known as "El Mariscal" for his leadership qualities and calming influence he is perfect partner as a covering defender for the more steely Matosas. Matosas would play as the stopper, providing aggression and ariel dominance to the backline. On the right side I have Victor Andrade a defensively astute full back in Andrade, a world cup winner and the best fullback of his generation he would be using his physicality and speed to run the right side and provide support to Scarone. On the left side is another fast full back in Caetano, he has similar remit as Andrade to move forward and provide overlaps to Cubilla.

Finally as goalkeeper I have Amadeo Carrizo in a sweeper keeper role, as arguable the first goal keeper to perform a similar role and one of the greatest goalkeeper of all time he provides stability to defense and confidence to push higher.

Dominance in key areas - We have the best forward - Romario, Best midfielder - Monti, Best defender - Perfumo / Andrade and the best goal keeper.

Individual player accolades and small intro -

Romario -
Best Forward in the draft along with Ronaldo. World player of the year - 1994, WC 94 golden ball winner.
Hector Scarone - One of the first footballing superstar. 2 Olympic gold medals, 1 World Cup, 4 Copa America. Held the scoring record for Uruguay till 2011, now 3rd highest goal scorer. WC all star team in 1930. Ranked 40th in IFFHS world player of the century, 20th South America player of century.
Luis Cubilla - Winner of 16 different titles including 3 Copa Libertadores and 2 Intercontinental cups. Ranked 11 in IFFHS South America player of century.
Antonio Sastre - 3 Copa America winner, voted as one of the 5 greatest Argentine player. Considered father of modern football in South America.
Ademir Da Guia - Greatest Palmeiras player winning 17 titles in his 15 years for the club. 34th South American and 14th Brazilian player of century in IFFHS rankings.
Luis Monti - World cup winner in 1934 and in WC all star team in 1930 & 1934, also won 5 serie A with Juventus.
Roberto Perfumo - One of the best Argentine defender ever, Winner of both Copa Libertadores and Intercontinental cup.
Victor Rodriguez Andrade - World cup winner and part of all star team in 1950.
Roberto Matosas - Penarol legend, winner of 5 leagues, 2 Copa Libertadores and 1 Copa Intercontinetal.
Omar Caetano - Starting left back in one of the best Penarol side along with Matosas and Cubilla. 9 league titles, 2 Copa Libertadores, 2 Intercontinental Cups, 1 Intercontinental Cup Winners Cup, 3 Libertadores runner-up (always requiring a third final), 1 Copa América winner.
Amadeo Carrizo - Ranked number 1 south american goalkeeper by IFFHS.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Ricardo Gomes is a name you don't often see but one who probably merits a bit more attention. Brazil's captain and first-choice centre-half going into the 1994 World Cup but injured at the last minute. His defensive partner Ricardo Rocha also got injured in the opening match and Brazil had to play the entire tournament with their back-up central defenders. They kept five clean sheets and replacement Marcio Santos got into the team of the tournament. For Aldair it was career-defining: he hadn't played for the national team in years, was fourth-choice going into the competition, but would go on to hold his place for the rest of the decade.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
I'm liking Tuppet's front three, but also the 532 deployed by Jayvin. A lot of this will come down to Maicon (for me, at least), and Jayvin's right flank in general.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
Is Monti really the best midfielder here? I'd take Redondo ahead of him.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I think that Scarone and Ademir are potentially overlapping, with right inside forward in 2-3-5 being more of a right attacking midfielder in midfield three, which is exactly the role that Ademir is playing here. With a proper outside right it would've been a brilliant 2-3-5 homage

Tuppet

I always thought of Ademir as a #10.
Well it depends how you define number 10, he was a midfielder in the mold of Didi or Socrates Gerson but certainly not someone like Kaka for example. Here is Brazil squad vs Poland in 74 world cup
Code:
      1 GK Emerson LEAO                       24   11 Jul 1949   Palmeiras
      3 DF Mario MARINHO PEREZ (c)            27   19 Mar 1947   Santos
      4 DF Jose ZE MARIA Rodrigues            25   18 May 1949   Corinthians
      6 DF Francisco das MARINHO CHAGAS       21   08 Feb 1953   Botafogo
     15 DF ALFREDO Mostarda Filho             27   18 Oct 1946   Palmeiras
     17 MD Paulo Cesar CARPEGIANI             25   17 Feb 1949   Internacional
     18 MD ADEMIR DA GUIA                     32   03 Apr 1942   Palmeiras
      7 FW JAIRZINHO Ventura Filho            29   25 Dec 1944   Botafogo
     10 FW Roberto RIVELINO                   28   01 Jan 1946   Corinthians
     13 FW VALDOMIRO Vaz Franco               28   17 Feb 1946   Internacional
     21 FW Jose Guimaraes DIRCEU              22   15 Jun 1952   Botafogo
You can see that he is playing behind 4 attacking players in a 2 man midfield with Carpegiani. It was the same role he played throughout his career along with Dudu for Palmeiras. He is defined most alike Gerson in that Brazilian squad of 70, although they both could play as number 10 as well.

What is not disputed at all though is that he was a tempo setter, game controlling midfielder mostly dropping deep to get the game flowing through him, which is exactly the role he is playing here.

Last edited:

Tuppet

I would take Monti esp in the role of most defensive midfielder, but thats definitely subjective and depends on the tactics. I have no problems with anyone choosing Redondo over him.

Last edited:

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
I always thought of Ademir as a #10.
He wasn't really what people think as a 1970s Brazil #10 though. He had what was a unique play style at the time which ended up hurting him for the NT actually, where I don't think Zagallo saw him fit with the others. Zagallo excluded him from '70 World Cup saying he played the same position as Rivelino (and there were other no.10s in Brazil's selection as well) but Ademir Da Guia was probably more a CM than what people think of as an AMC today. He had a slower style that dictated the pace of the game from the center as one the CMs in a 4-2-4 with Dudu being his more defensive minded partner.

Well it depends how you define number 10, he was a midfielder in the mold of Didi or Socrates
I'd say he was more like Didi and Gerson than Socrates. Doutor roamed much more and had a different style of play than Ademir. They both dictate play but they did it differently and with a different cadence (Ademir slower and more methodical, Socrates more dynamic and unpredictable).

Last edited:

Tuppet

I'd say he was more like Didi and Gerson than Socrates. Doutor roamed much more and had a different style of play than Ademir. They both dictate play but they did it differently and with a different cadence (Ademir slower and more methodical, Socrates more dynamic and unpredictable).
Corrected my post, agreed that Socrates was a rather different type of midfielder. Just wanted to make the point of Ademir vs likes of Zico or Kaka - Players who score lots of goals and showed creativity in the final third - as opposed to someone who controlled the midfield.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Redondo is the best midfielder on the park.

I get appreciating older players but there is so little footage from the 1920's / 1930's that it seems a real stretch to me to claim Monti is better than Redondo - given the readily available matches and videos which evidence his ability and the level of influence he had on an excellent Madrid side.

The clips that are available for the 30's are a bit of a joke to be honest and the standard of the game has clearly come on leaps and bounds since then. Obviously we allow some leeway there or you can't run an all time draft.

oneniltothearsenal

Caf's Milton Friedman and Arse Aficionado
Scout
Supports
Brazil, Arsenal,LA Aztecs
Corrected my post, agreed that Socrates was a rather different type of midfielder. Just wanted to make the point of Ademir vs likes of Zico or Kaka - Players who score lots of goals and showed creativity in the final third - as opposed to someone who controlled the midfield.
Agreed. I think he is a CM not an AMC even though I think some modern websites call him an "attacking midfielder". I think he is well suited to the role you have him.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots

Based on this video, he's a Pogba/Didi style player where he isn't really a 10 at all neither is he pure CM, because he is too slow defensively. He is actually one of the slowest players I have ever seen but ridiculously gifted on the ball. Proper midfield technician.

Personally think in a high octane game v good players, he wouldn't be able to hold his own as he lacks that yard of pace that even someone like Zidane had. He's more Riquelme though.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Whilst Ademir is an attacking midfielder, I've never seen him as that much of a final-third sort of an attacking midfielder. For me, he normally played deeper in the midfield as someone who sets the tempo of the game and gets involved moving forward. He's not a deep-lying playmaker a la Pirlo or Xabi Alonso, but he's no second-striker-style #10 like Pele or Scarone, in this case.

Scarone is someone who would actually work well with Ademir, dovetailing with him and allowing Ademir to get forward as well. However, for much of the time, I see Scarone staying higher up the pitch and having a more creative influence in the final third whilst Ademir pulls the strings, sets the tempo, and runs the attacks. In that sense, I see no conflict.

Having said that, Tuppet's team's too central here, and that plays into Jayvin's hands. With Marquez, Gomes, and Sensini, that's a defence that can covers lots of the final third with their anticipation and reading of the game. Ahead of them is Redondo who's also very good at anticipating attacks and stopping/slowing them down with his defensive positioning and intelligence. Cubilla may be key here in trying to stretch Jayvin's defence with his quick dribbling, but Maicon at his best was tough to get past as he himself was already quite fast on the ground and great at recovering his position.

On the counter, Jayvin's team looks scary with Suarez and Sivori working perfectly together, and I feel like Cueto can be Jayvin's wildcard here in breaking down Tuppet's defence. Having said that, Victor Andrade might be able to limit Sivori's influence, but Suarez' vertical and horizontal movement will make him tough to contain for the central defenders. Monti will naturally try to close down Suarez in this case, but that will leave Cueto free to open up defences with his accurate passing. I see Matosas as a weak point here with Suarez and Sivori's movement causing him issues. At least Perfumo had a more compatible and better partner for the Argentine national team to help him out i.e. Albrecht (who was a great libero from the footage I saw of him) (I can mention him now, right @Chesterlestreet, seeing as reinforcements will only come from the losing teams?).

@Jayvin I'm not sure on how effective Velasquez will be in your team. From what I've briefly read about him, he seems to be a box-to-box midfielder who was as capable going forward as he was defending. If you could provide me with some more info on him, I'd appreciate it. At the moment, I can't watch any Peru matches to judge him, and I haven't seen much of him before this draft.

Last edited:

Tuppet

Redondo is the best midfielder on the park.

I get appreciating older players but there is so little footage from the 1920's / 1930's that it seems a real stretch to me to claim Monti is better than Redondo - given the readily available matches and videos which evidence his ability and the level of influence he had on an excellent Madrid side.

The clips that are available for the 30's are a bit of a joke to be honest and the standard of the game has clearly come on leaps and bounds since then. Obviously we allow some leeway there or you can't run an all time draft.
Don't agree with it, I would say at best its close. Its the same old vs new debate and if we settle by which team has more players with footage available then I am lost already. But almost all neutral sites - which include some very respectable publications such as World Soccer's Selection - rank Monti higher than Redondo. Not saying its obvious that Monti is better but its not clear that he is not as well.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
I foresee an attacking overload situation wherein Monti drops in between the two CBs (as stated), and the full backs push up, creating a sort of fluid front seven with width and a strong core. Now, centrally I don't think Jayvin has a problem -- Redondo ahead of Marquez, with Gomes and Sensini either side looks solid to me. As such, I'm looking to the wings for chances to be created. Maicon has been given license to get up and down the pitch -- I can see him getting caught out. I know Tuppet is seeking to control the ball, with Jayvin playing on the counter, but getting caught out on the counter is also very possible. Romario is one of the all time great strikers, if he gets service, he'll score.

I'm not sure on this one, Tuppets high line is ok so long as he can actually control the possession. Even so, Suarez is devastating on the counter, and very good at finding space. It's a very evenly balanced game.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Monti's credentials are as good as they come, of course. He's also a player we know a bit about - his style, his traits, his particular role in the system he featured in, etc. So, while there is an obvious lack of footage, he is a well documented player, relatively speaking.

He's one of the standout (THE standout, some would say) old school centre halves as per common consensus.

Comparing him to Redondo is tricky and perhaps not that interesting. The question is how they're both used - how well they fit the setup, etc. Both are top notch, quality wise, in the context of the draft - that would be my take on it.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
As said by some, hard to compare these players for many reasons, the main one is they don't play the same role on the pitch. Luis Monti seems to be a 'destroyer' while Redondo is a very complete central midfielder with high technical skills.

Luis Monti - The Destroyer or 'The Double Wide'

Considered as the greatest Half-Back in the pre-war era. Monti was gotten his nickname because of his coverage on the pitch, was a rugged and ruthless player, but had good technical skills to go with his strong tackling. He played as an attacking centre half in the old-fashioned Metodo system. As such he would mark the opposing centre forward when his team were defending, but would be the main midfield playmaker when his team was on the attack. He played in two World Cup finals with Argentina and Italy. A match against Austria in World Cup 1934 was one of the best remembered games of his, Monti responsible for marking Matthias Sindelar who was one of the greatest attackers in that era, This task was a lot of success completed.
World Cup All-Star Team (1930, 1934)

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Maicon has been given license to get up and down the pitch -- I can see him getting caught out.
Maicon wasn't really prone to getting caught out of position. He had so much speed and stamina that he would quickly get back and recover into his position. Under Jose Mourinho at Inter, he was quite a solid full back and difficult to get past, overall, and he never really got caught out positionally that often in his peak years, unlike Dani Alves, for example.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
Don't agree with it, I would say at best its close. Its the same old vs new debate and if we settle by which team has more players with footage available then I am lost already. But almost all neutral sites - which include some very respectable publications such as World Soccer's Selection - rank Monti higher than Redondo. Not saying its obvious that Monti is better but its not clear that he is not as well.
The better player obviously isn't necessarily the one with more footage available - that's just a straw man though and isn't what I said. The point is that if you're going to claim someone is better than Redondo, who was the best midfielder in the years between Matthaus and Xavi and the most important player in a Madrid side which won two Champions Leagues, then I would expect some decent evidence in support of that - particularly when such a large portion of Monti's reputation comes from Italy's success at a pretty tainted World Cup and his 'marking' of Sindelar that appears to have consisted of booting him for the majority of the match.

In terms of evidence I personally don't think ratings on these sites cuts it when you're making such a significant comparison, though I'm fine if others feel differently. He's obviously a good enough player in the context of football during that period, but I don't think there's enough evidence to say that he's better than Redondo, Keane etc, particularly when you watch matches from that era which were almost unanimously poor.

Mciahel Goodman

Staff
Maicon wasn't really prone to getting caught out of position. He had so much speed and stamina that he would quickly get back and recover into his position. Under Jose Mourinho at Inter, he was quite a solid full back and difficult to get past, overall, and he never really got caught out positionally that often in his peak years, unlike Dani Alves, for example.
That's true, but I'm thinking more along the lines of Maicon being the only fullback who will roam forward for Jayvin. I know how good he was at his peak, but seems to me that if there will be a gap for Tuppet on the wing, it will come down that side.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
That's true, but I'm thinking more along the lines of Maicon being the only fullback who will roam forward for Jayvin. I know how good he was at his peak, but seems to me that if there will be a gap for Tuppet on the wing, it will come down that side.
Not that this will really make that much of an impact given that Sensini was very good as a right back as well (he was a very good right wing back during his time in Italy).

Tuppet

Having said that, Tuppet's team's too central here, and that plays into Jayvin's hands.
I am not sure how is that when ours is the only team with a genuine winger and even Scarone is more comfortable in wide positions then any of Jayvin's attackers. I also think that you are either giving Maicon way too much credit or underrating Cubilla massively. Since Maicon is the only source of genuine width for Jayvin and he is also contending to stop Cubilla and Caetano.

The better player obviously isn't necessarily the one with more footage available - that's just a straw man though and isn't what I said. The point is that if you're going to claim someone is better than Redondo, who was the best midfielder in the years between Matthaus and Xavi and the most important player in a Madrid side which won two Champions Leagues, then I would expect some decent evidence in support of that - particularly when such a large portion of Monti's reputation comes from Italy's success at a pretty tainted World Cup and his 'marking' of Sindelar that appears to have consisted of booting him for the majority of the match.

In terms of evidence I personally don't think ratings on these sites cuts it when you're making such a significant comparison, though I'm fine if others feel differently. He's obviously a good enough player in the context of football during that period, but I don't think there's enough evidence to say that he's better than Redondo, Keane etc, particularly when you watch matches from that era which were almost unanimously poor.
Well you are discarding pretty much all his accomplishments like reaching another WC final in 1930, while getting into all star team, winning four consecutive Serie A with Juventus, winning Copa America, in favor of marking Sindelar. Given that there was no Champions league at that time, I can't see how his accomplishments could have been improved. The only arguments against him is really the no footage argument.

In any case as Chester said its more of how Redondo and Monti are used instead of a direct comparison and I think both managers would not swap them for the other one.

Tuppet

Based on this video, he's a Pogba/Didi style player where he isn't really a 10 at all neither is he pure CM, because he is too slow defensively. He is actually one of the slowest players I have ever seen but ridiculously gifted on the ball. Proper midfield technician.

Personally think in a high octane game v good players, he wouldn't be able to hold his own as he lacks that yard of pace that even someone like Zidane had. He's more Riquelme though.
While he was indeed a slow-ish player, or more accurately a player who tend to slow the play down. Its hard to agree with the argument that he won't be able to hold his own against great players when he played blinder against Barcelona of Cruyff and Neeskens in the final of Ramón de Carranza trophy beating them 2-1 in the final and was selected as the best player in the tournament.

Here's a google translated comment about that tournament -

Palmeiras team - Leo Eurico, Luis Pereira, Alfredo and Zeca; Dudu (Edson) and Ademir da Guia; Ronaldo, Leivinha, Caesar and Toninho Vanusa (Edu). Technical:. Osvaldo Brandao

Just as today, Barcelona had the player considered the best in the world at the time (Cruijff), and Neeskens and others. The Dutch duo had dazzled the world with a sensational football in the recently completed World Cup 74 (won by Germany).

Palmeiras had six players who competed in this Cup by Brazil (Leo, Luis Pereira, Alfredo, Ademir da Guia, Leivinha and Caesar). Leon, Luis Pereira and Leivinha as holders. Ademir da Guia just was not started for extreme technical parochialism Zagalo, who preferred the Rio Paulo Cesar "Cashew".

The game was not on neutral ground. It was in Spain, and Palmeiras got tired of long plane trip.

Ademir da Guia, with its hypnotic style of play, which induced, forced everyone, even the opponent to play at their pace, was the conductor of the Orchestra Alviverde. And Zagalo showed that with him on the field, Brazil could have won the fantastic carousel Dutch. Cruyff and Neeskens not seen the ball.

Leivinha and Ronaldo scored the goals.

After eliminating the mighty Barca, Palmeiras, a standing ovation by the Spanish, was prestigiadíssimo Champion (at the time) Tournament Ramón de Carranza, defeating the Spanish in the final , 2-1, goals from Leivinha and Luis Pereira.

And then next year they won it again, this time beating Real Madrid 3-1 in final.

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I guess Jayvin (Sydney time) will be in a position to participate in the discussions in the next hours.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
I am not sure how is that when ours is the only team with a genuine winger and even Scarone is more comfortable in wide positions then any of Jayvin's attackers. I also think that you are either giving Maicon way too much credit or underrating Cubilla massively. Since Maicon is the only source of genuine width for Jayvin and he is also contending to stop Cubilla and Caetano.
Scarone more comfortable than Sivori? No chance. Sivori himself was a great dribbler and was pretty much like Maradona in his ability, style of play, and performances. If you're counting Scarone as a source of width, Sivori is one as well.

On Cubilla, yes, he's one of Uruguay's greatest ever wingers, but Maicon himself is a proper athlete who can keep up his energy levels for the full match, so even if Cubilla were to beat him, Maicon's speed and energy would ensure that he'd keep up with Cubilla and make things tough for him.

Tuppet

Scarone more comfortable than Sivori? No chance. Sivori himself was a great dribbler and was pretty much like Maradona in his ability, style of play, and performances. If you're counting Scarone as a source of width, Sivori is one as well.

On Cubilla, yes, he's one of Uruguay's greatest ever wingers, but Maicon himself is a proper athlete who can keep up his energy levels for the full match, so even if Cubilla were to beat him, Maicon's speed and energy would ensure that he'd keep up with Cubilla and make things tough for him.
I am not sure how Sivori being a great dribbler or Maradona like is contradictory to Scarone being better at wide positions, either ways without Scarone's footage its hard to say that he is better, so I'll take that back. Just making an observation that there is only one genuine winger on the pitch that is in my team and you are saying that my attack is more narrow, it just doesn't add up. Also Maicon does not only have to tussle with only Cubilla there is also Caetano to contend with, even if he keep both of them somehow quite, he still needs to go forward a lot to provide width. I mean the opposition have one less player in attack and one more in defense, they can not have it both ways. Maicon being solid in defense and providing width while facing one of the best wingers from Uruguay is a stretch IMO.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Just making an observation that there is only one genuine winger on the pitch that is in my team and you are saying that my attack is more narrow, it just doesn't add up. Also Maicon does not only have to tussle with only Cubilla there is also Caetano to contend with, even if he keep both of them somehow quite, he still needs to go forward a lot to provide width. I mean the opposition have one less player in attack and one more in defense, they can not have it both ways. Maicon being solid in defense and providing width while facing one of the best wingers from Uruguay is a stretch IMO.
I never said that it was more narrow. I only said that it was too narrow given what you are facing. You're facing a solid back 5 here, and on top of that is a solid midfield with Redondo anchoring. With such a back 5, you'll need threats from both the outside right and left in order to keep the opposition defence guessing. So far, I find your attacks to be more predictable than Jayvin's.

Tuppet

I never said that it was more narrow. I only said that it was too narrow given what you are facing. You're facing a solid back 5 here, and on top of that is a solid midfield with Redondo anchoring. With such a back 5, you'll need threats from both the outside right and left in order to keep the opposition defence guessing. So far, I find your attacks to be more predictable than Jayvin's.
Fair enough mate, I don't agree obviously, cause I think I actually have more varied threat from wide positions with Cubilla and from midfield as well, both Ademir and Sastre have fantastic scoring records for midfielders, not to mention Romario with so much creativity behind him is bound to score IMO.

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Sorry I missed the start, I was too tired last night. Thanks to those who argued on my behalf.

Not that this will really make that much of an impact given that Sensini was very good as a right back as well (he was a very good right wing back during his time in Italy).
Agreed, also Velasquez can cover on that side.

@Jayvin I'm not sure on how effective Velasquez will be in your team. From what I've briefly read about him, he seems to be a box-to-box midfielder who was as capable going forward as he was defending. If you could provide me with some more info on him, I'd appreciate it. At the moment, I can't watch any Peru matches to judge him, and I haven't seen much of him before this draft.
From the limited amount i've seen and read it seems he was indeed a box-to-box player with endless stamina. Seems to be very smart with his movement and quick decision making and also quite good technically.

I believe this is him (#6) at 11:45 holding off two players, bursting forward and quickly passing it off (with Cueto eventually scoring)

I think his skillset works quite well in a counter-attacking team like mine and his aggression and running are a good foil for the more laid-back Redondo. I'll try and find some more clips of him and Cueto in particular.

edit: Sorry I don't know how to embed the video with a timestamp

Last edited:

Jayvin

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Cueto against Scotland and France:

6.25 Cueto produces a sensational long-pass to take out the Scottish defence. Imagine him doing that against Tuppet's high line with Sivori and Suarez on the end of it :drool:

Some more nice passing from Cueto at 2.55 and 3.20 minute marks.

I believe my 5 man defence should be able to deal with Tuppet's 3 man attack for the most part, even if Maicon is caught in no mans land my side still has the advantage in terms of defensive numbers. I feel he'll need his fullbacks to push on quite regularly in order to break my team down; which could potentially be dangerous for him on the counter as I don't think they have the same level of defensive cover as mine.

For my team it's all about quick transitions. Win the ball and use quick, one touch passing to move the ball up the field, or the strength and running power of Maicon and Velasquez. There's also Cesar Cueto's superb long-passing and the pace and movement of Sivori and Suarez to provide another threat, particularly against Tuppet's high line.

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Ricardo Gomes is a name you don't often see but one who probably merits a bit more attention. Brazil's captain and first-choice centre-half going into the 1994 World Cup but injured at the last minute. His defensive partner Ricardo Rocha also got injured in the opening match and Brazil had to play the entire tournament with their back-up central defenders. They kept five clean sheets and replacement Marcio Santos got into the team of the tournament. For Aldair it was career-defining: he hadn't played for the national team in years, was fourth-choice going into the competition, but would go on to hold his place for the rest of the decade.
Yeah, a top defender who played a key role with PSG in the 90s: title in 94, 5 consecutive European SF...

A rigorous stopper.