The Antwerp thread ´07-´08

oskarutd

From their offical site:

"Everybody is eagerly awaiting news or information about eventual reinforcements from Manchester. Everybody has it's favourites and expectations, but no news is expected before Thursday from Manchester. Maybe we will only know beginning of next week who will be joining us.

There definitely will be newcomers from accross the channel, but names will only be known as soon as the agreements are signed. The club however already announced via Paul Bistiaux that we are looking for some new blood for the left flank. "There is a lack of leftfooters in the A-team, so it is obvious that we are looking for one or more players", dixit Paul Bistiaux."

Most liklely someone going from Malaysia.

PS18

Barnes should be a shoo-in. would prefer Kieran Lee got a domestic loan but he'll probably go too. can't really see Eckersley going back there.

oskarutd

Barnes should be a shoo-in. would prefer Kieran Lee got a domestic loan but he'll probably go too. can't really see Eckersley going back there.
I meant these player will most likely go somewhere.

oskarutd

With Eagles, Evans, Simpson, Campbell and Pique all likely to stay until at least Christmas, I can't see how Gibson, Martin, Heaton/Zieler will get any first team football...they may need to to go out on loan too!
Heaton is the 3rd choice keeper so he will stay, has even confirmed it himself.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
Heaton is the 3rd choice keeper so he will stay, has even confirmed it himself.
Zieler is too old for the U/18's so it looks as though they will either share the reserve team games or one will go out on loan. Kuszczak will no doubt be used every now and then for match practice and Foster may return before the season is out.

Four into one clearly doesn't fit!

It will be interesting to see what actually does happen with all our keepers.

oskarutd

Zieler is too old for the U/18's so it looks as though they will either share the reserve team games or one will go out on loan. Kuszczak will no doubt be used every now and then for match practice and Foster may return before the season is out.

Four into one clearly doesn't fit!

It will be interesting to see what actually does happen with all our keepers.
Heaton said he might go on loan when Foster will be fit. He was meant to go on loan for all the season.
Zieler will be used as reserves keeper mostly, the other getting a game or three.
Kuzszak will plat in the League cup and some ECL games (my guess).

PS18

With Eagles, Evans, Simpson, Campbell and Pique all likely to stay until at least Christmas, I can't see how Gibson, Martin, Heaton/Zieler will get any first team football...they may need to to go out on loan too!
you'd think so. depends whether Fergie stands by his pledge to keep Gibson and Martin with the first-team squad.

oskarutd

From Antwerp site

Does the coach count on reinforcement from Manchester? Does anybody expect players who, like Dong last year, can make the difference in matches where the collective fails? "You don't have guys like Campbell, Shawcross, Gibson, Dong, Evans...this year. Guys like that, worth millions, are unreachable for the average club and can in fact bring that extra quality impulse, which is now probably not available. But this is a well thought choice. Thus club can not , and will not ,depend on another club. That is not the purpose of a co-operation, but last year it was a must to cope with the lack of quality." What is different from last year and wg-hy is it a well thought choice? "The purpose is to be collectively the strongest Class is great but you need much more than only class. You need a collectively strong group, that because of that group feeling learns to combine quicker and plays with passion, fire, and love for football, the club and the fans. The support of our fantastic fans is something we have to earn and preferably with collectively strong performances. That's why we try to reinforce the group with local talent."

WeWonItTwoTimes

Banned
America's Red Cafe Spokesman (behind enemy lines)
Professionals

Goalkeepers

Van Der Sar
Kuszczak
Foster
Heaton (loan)
Zieler
Amos

Defenders

Ferdinand
Vidic
Brown
Evra
Neville
O'Shea
Evans.J
Rafael
Simpson (loan)
Eckersley.R
Gray (loan)
Chester
Cathcart (loan)
Fabio
Derbyshire
De Laet

Midfielders

Scholes
Carrick
Hargreaves
Fletcher
Anderson
Ronaldo
Nani
Giggs
Park
Tosic
Ljajic (loan)
Possebon
Martin
Gibson
Hewson (loan)
Cleverley
Drinkwater
Evans.C
Galbraith
Eikrem

Strikers

Rooney
Berbatov
Tevez
Campbell (loan)
Welbeck
Manucho (loan)
Macheda
Bryan
Brandy (loan)

Epic

Hope we'll send players over there for a full season this time so they could finally get promoted.

oskarutd

Cathcart has gone to Antwerp.
Lea will as well.

from their site:
At present our club rounded off yet three incoming transfers off. It is with in spite of that R Antwerp FC today an agreement reached with with player Craig Cathcart (°06.02.1988), Michael Borrow (°07.11.1987) and Zarko Jelicic. Craig & Michael its originating of sister club Manchester Utd and will in the frame of their aprenticeship by R Antwerp FC training period walk. Engelsman Michael Loan is neat as ex-Antwerpleenspeler Danny Simpson geboortig of Salford and doorliep all youth series till and with the promises team of Manchester Utd. In contrast till the rechtsachter, he feels self best home at the other side of the grounds on linksachter or a place centrally in the apology. Craig Cathcart is geboortig of Glengormley, Honored near Belfast and neat as ex-Antwerpleenspeler Jonnie Evans North-. Also he was called already on young age to Manchester. This linksvoetige polyvalente flank player and jeugdinternational sees to over a strong tackle and a sturdy kopspel, qualities that also Sir Alex Ferguson know to value in the leader of the Manchester-promises team of the voorbije campaign. Over Zarko Jelicic, a separate contribution is prepared. We is named the three novices heartily welcome on the Bosuil and wish they a successful period by our club to.

p.s. Michael Borrow and Michael Loan are an online transilation of Michael Lea.

kevg

Michael Lee move confirmed:

http://www.manutd.com/default.sps?pagegid={B4CEE8FA-9A47-47BC-B069-3F7A2F35DB70}&newsid=467731

RednProud

I went to watch RAFC v. Ostende on Wednesday night (I was in town on a business trip). The RAFC fans already had the news that Cathcart and Lee would be joining them soon.

RAFC won 2:0 and missed an open header to make it 3:0. They looked workmankike and tried to pass the ball, although they often reverted to long balls over the top.

2 young left sided players came on late in the match and looked pretty useful (in this company). One is apparently an Irish lad called 'Ritchie Ryan' and the other is an ex-England U21 international called 'Docherty'.

I thought the fans support and atmosphere was superb although I am told that they can quickly turn on the team if they don't play well.

Overall it was an enjoyable experience and made me realise how lucky we are to see the talent of players like Rooney and Ronaldo every week.

westlife4ever

There's a player called Henry McStay in the Antwerp squad, he came from Leeds United academy:nono:

mista john

Antwerp news

Craig Cathcart and Michael Lea made their Antwerp debuts last week. Both in back four. It was a 1-1 draw against Olympic Charleroi. There are a few other Brits in the squad: Kirk Hilton is still there but out through long-term injury, Henry McStay (NI, defender) signed from Portadown, Sean Docherty signed from Southport and has played for about 6 clubs, Richie Ryan (Irish) from Boston United and Souleymane Mamam is still there but he is now an Antwerp player. Presumably United are no longer interested.

Apart from Cathcart and Lea (just arrived), McStay is the only regular from that lot. I find it very hard to generate interest this season. Antwerp are seemingly going nowhere and I am surprised United sent Cathcart. Mind you, after Coventry, SAF could crate up about 6 of the guys who were here before and send them back.

Belgian 2nd division is complete chaos this year. The league has been taken to court. They lost. One weeks' fixtures cancelled. New teams added after a few games have been played. Fixtures totally rearranged. Now 19 clubs in league. Example, Antwerp have played Olympic Cherleroi twice this year. Legal battles still being fought. Anything could happen.

PS18

that's discouraging, they finally looked to be getting somewhere last season. there'll surely come a point sooner rather than later where United don't consider the link-up to be worthwhile, unless Antwerp can get into the top division.

mista john

that's discouraging, they finally looked to be getting somewhere last season. there'll surely come a point sooner rather than later where United don't consider the link-up to be worthwhile, unless Antwerp can get into the top division.
It's a joke now. They only have 2 players in first team from last season. They have no money and a ground that needs flattening and rebuilding, or they merge with the other Antwerp club - who are in the first division.

Today they lost 4-1 at Kortrijk. Cathcart opened the scoring and they then conceded 4 goals in the last 20 minutes.

mista john

Will there be any players going to Antwerp for the second half of the season?
I personally doubt it. It looks like United had a last throw of the dice last season and it failed. An here's what the club website said at the beginning of January:

"Paul Bistiaux confirmed that it was the last match for Lea and Cathcart. Both players return to Manchester where their performance and progression will be evaluated. After that we will have to await the decision of the Man United management about them and eventual other players."

WeWonItTwoTimes

Banned
America's Red Cafe Spokesman (behind enemy lines)
I personally doubt it. It looks like United had a last throw of the dice last season and it failed. An here's what the club website said at the beginning of January:

"Paul Bistiaux confirmed that it was the last match for Lea and Cathcart. Both players return to Manchester where their performance and progression will be evaluated. After that we will have to await the decision of the Man United management about them and eventual other players."
What's the situation going to be this season? Any news from Antwerp about the possibility of players joining on loan?

It seems that the link between the two clubs might be coming to an end.

PS18

The Antwerp chairman or chief exec was commenting on the affiliation on the press not long ago (think it was the 10th anniversary of the first player being loaned from us to them) and from that article it certainly seemed as if the link was still ongoing.

Cathcart and Lea didn't move until the last few days of the window last year so I guess there's still time for something to happen.

Mr. MUJAC

Manchester United Youth Historian
I would have said a good move for Chester, Eckersley, Drinkwater or Hewson.

But with no central defenders coming through at u/-18 level, I can't see us loaning out anyone.

It might be more reasonable to expect something to happen in the second half of the year.