The Athletic: What it's like to play in midfield, by Scott McTominay

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
It’s behind a pay wall
I know but some people might be able to read it. I don't wanna take it from behind the paywall because I'm pretty sure the Athletic would legal the CAF.

Fascinating read!
Very. Slightly puts paid to the idea that United are 'Vibes FC.' McTominay clearly is being coached about when to drop into the back line, when to step out. What to do in what phases of play etc.

I admit I've been hard on his execution of some of those ideas. However, reading the piece I came away with more respect for his understanding of the game. I still think he needs to be a better long range passer and make his decisions faster when looking to play the ball. Still, at least he knows what he's meant to be doing.

ThreeCorners

Could somebody pick out some key points for the rest of us poor/stingy folk? :)

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Interesting and nice to see a player put down some effort.

«Playing in a three requires more attack-minded midfielders. Your two No 8s/10s are going to be the ones getting in the box the majority of the time with your left and right wingers, in a 4-3-3, pretty high and wide. That leaves space for the creative No 8s/10s, who can get on the ball and make things happen.»

Did not quite get this though. Look at Liverpool. Not much attacking about their midfielders, is there? Or how about Chelsea during the first Mourinho-era? Only Lampard was attacking much. Often Essien and Makelele kept back. I would argue that there is several options for midfielders, regardless of formation, and depending on the rest of the team.

Interesting and nice to see a player put down some effort.

«Playing in a three requires more attack-minded midfielders. Your two No 8s/10s are going to be the ones getting in the box the majority of the time with your left and right wingers, in a 4-3-3, pretty high and wide. That leaves space for the creative No 8s/10s, who can get on the ball and make things happen.»

Did not quite get this though. Look at Liverpool. Not much attacking about their midfielders, is there? Or how about Chelsea during the first Mourinho-era? Only Lampard was attacking much. Often Essien and Makelele kept back. I would argue that there is several options for midfielders, regardless of formation, and depending on the rest of the team.
Think he's talking about a single pivot with one defensive player and two attackers, which is how we often try to play. Mourninho and others preferred two defensive players.

Very. Slightly puts paid to the idea that United are 'Vibes FC.' McTominay clearly is being coached about when to drop into the back line, when to step out. What to do in what phases of play etc.
I don't think anybody genuinely thinks we are not being coached. Whether the coaches are any good...

roseguy64

Nice read though.

He also states that sometimes the commentators who are saying a team is losing the midfield battle isn't necessarily correct. Most teams don't mark to man and it's basically tactically fine sometimes based on what the coach wants for being outnumbered in certain places.

tomaldinho1

Nice read though.

He also states that sometimes the commentators who are saying a team is losing the midfield battle isn't necessarily correct. Most teams don't mark to man and it's basically tactically fine sometimes based on what the coach wants for being outnumbered in certain places.
It’s interesting that commentators are normally ex players and yet they often say this stuff. Like any tall striker is a target man or they’ll blame a player for not marking his man when they’ve already mentioned the team use zonal marking.

Foxbatt

It’s interesting that commentators are normally ex players and yet they often say this stuff. Like any tall striker is a target man or they’ll blame a player for not marking his man when they’ve already mentioned the team use zonal marking.
Like blaming Lindelof for every goal we concede?

DavelinaJolie

Unsurprisingly Goldbridge thinks he's an arselicker because he praises Carrick and company.

I think it's an interesting perspective from Scott, and nice to hear a bit of something from the dressing room about how coaches and players are viewed.