The avarice of those 2… has there ever been anything like it?

redcucumber

Obviously they can't know for sure. However, I don't find it irritating as it's a reasonable assumption. In my experience, when people look for new higher paying jobs, they don't typically make their decision based on the company's impact on human rights, environments, hazardous working conditions etc. It just so happens that in this particular case these problems are regularly highlighted and the 2 footballers are world famous. But you could really make the same case for anyone you know moving to a higher paying job in some random middle management position at BP, Nike, Nestle, frigging Amazon, the list goes on.
You really can't compare the career and financial motivations of the average Joe earning between £30-60k to footballers earning tens of millions (or in the case of these two, hundreds of millions). Most people have mortgages, kids and avocado toast that need paying for before their bodies/minds give out.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Recreant, I will not have it! Your cowardice should be chastised.

Otherwise, yeah. These two made enough money, I understand the average players that went to China, most of them were handed money that they would never get during their career in Europe but the two that apparently shouldn't be named are just a different level of nonsense which isn't surprising since they have spent the past decade crying to the press through agents and mouthpieces whenever the other earned a couple of Euros more.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
To be clear, the "Middle East" isn't the issue; it's chasing the bag wherever it pays the most disregarding literally anything else. Difference is, only S.A. are offering, so they're the only viable destination.
Kind of weird timing when Messi is about to rejoin Barcelona on a fraction of what he earns at PSG and an even smaller fraction of what he could earn in Saudi Arabia. I doubt he would have played at Barca for as long as he did if he was just after the biggest paycheck, mind.

That aside, they're both greedy but so are most footballers, even the greate you listed. It's very depressing because very few of the best qualify as role models.
And as much as it sucks that footballers willingly accept money to whitewash oppressive regimes, the same is true for so many companies. Many of the people complaining about oil money in football probably own shares of companies backed by oil money through an ETF or something like that.

Greediness isn't really what pisses me off the most. It's rather stuff like Messi giving a shit about climate change while using his private jet every other day, Neymar endorsing Bolsonaro, etc.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Kind of weird timing when Messi is about to rejoin Barcelona on a fraction of what he earns at PSG and an even smaller fraction of what he could earn in Saudi Arabia. I doubt he would have played at Barca for as long as he did if he was just after the biggest paycheck, mind.

That aside, they're both greedy but so are most footballers, even the greate you listed. It's very depressing because very few of the best qualify as role models.
And as much as it sucks that footballers willingly accept money to whitewash oppressive regimes, the same is true for so many companies. Many of the people complaining about oil money in football probably own shares of companies backed by oil money through an ETF or something like that.

Greediness isn't really what pisses me off the most. It's rather stuff like Messi giving a shit about climate change while using his private jet every other day, Neymar endorsing Bolsonaro, etc.
I mean, Messi was earning the biggest paycheck at Barcelona. A paycheck that he seeked and on top of that as if it wasn't enough, he also tried to dodge taxation.

erikcred

You really can't compare the career and financial motivations of the average Joe earning between £30-60k to footballers earning tens of millions (or in the case of these two, hundreds of millions). Most people have mortgages, kids and avocado toast that need paying for before their bodies/minds give out.
Sure I can. Our average Joe earning that amount is rich af compared to vast numbers of people around the world. The only thing missing is the public profile.

Plus even footballers have ["insert obscene celebrity expense that's totally unnecessary according to you"] that needs paying for before their career is cut short in their mid thirties.

Doesn't mean I endorse anyone hoarding wealth. Just saying that I find it difficult to believe that are so many saintly people among us who would reject more money so easily. Especially if there are mortgages, kids and avocado toast that needs to be paid for.

Is it that the opportunities to be so Gollum-esque in the pursuit of money were not so prevalent in the times of a Pelé, Cruyff, Beckenbauer, Maradona or Ronaldo, or are these two just different gravy with their conduct?
I mean Beckenbauer was done for taking bribes twice in the last few years. Pele, Beckenbauer and Cruyff all went to the US for a payday. Pele was not known for his moral stances with relationships so it wouldn't be a stretch to question other areas, and the less said about Maradona's off field behaviour the better.

I think the only difference between them and Messi/Ronaldo is the rabid media hounding them and highlighting everything they get up to. Saudi Arabia's sportswashing project was a distant pipedream 40 years ago but would any of us have known if Pele went on a fully paid for trip there for some reason? Now its front page news.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

Wait... Barcelona... ?

Que? I can't keep up. He's not going S.A. then? :nervous:

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Sure I can. Our average Joe earning that amount is rich af compared to vast numbers of people around the world. The only thing missing is the public profile.
Your average joe in the U.S. aged 35 cannot retire and never work a day in their life. Even if they moved to a third world country. Even if they only had a basic standard of living.

Messi on the other hand does not need to work a day in his life and can still live extremely comfortably.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
I mean, Messi was earning the biggest paycheck at Barcelona. A paycheck that he seeked and on top of that as if it wasn't enough, he also tried to dodge taxation.
Yeah, but at least he claims there were multiple times he had bigger contracts on the table and still chose Barca. Not that it made him poor, mind.

Wait... Barcelona... ?

Que? I can't keep up. He's not going S.A. then? :nervous:
At least from what I've read, he's going to join Barca on €15-25m a year if La Liga approves it. Even if not it's not unlikely he stays in Europe.

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid

rimaldo

All about the essence
Supports
arse
gluttons, galvanised by a decade of dominance, fearing their twilight fading, grasping the hand of glad tidings, ignoring the odious pocket ‘twas dipped ‘to. unnecessary wealth, ne’er to be spent, but accumulated nonetheless. a life well lived, a purpose, never fulfilled. an emptiness. it shan’t be whole again.

Thaumaste

Isn’t it just “avarice”?
You're correct. Avariciousness is a lexical redundancy that was invented through a grammatical error (turning an adjective into a noun by adding the suffix 'ness', forgetting that there was/is a preexisting noun from which the adjective already derived).

Sorry @Fortitude

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
All nice and easy writing that up, let someone offer you 2, 3, 4, or 5x what you make right now and you'd jump ship in a second.

Its literally their job. Unless they have some emotional attachment somewhere, they are going to go for the highest payer.
I don’t think you appreciate just how many people wouldn’t.

They’re both quite ghoulish in chasing yet another grubby envelope full of cash.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
To be clear, the "Middle East" isn't the issue; it's chasing the bag wherever it pays the most disregarding literally anything else. Difference is, only S.A. are offering, so they're the only viable destination.
So where does your ‘human rights’ angle come in then?

And what else is it that they are supposed to be regarding? Whatever story and glorious ending you have written for another man’s career?

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
Some of you criticize footballers for maximising their earning working on human right abuser, violater etc

But when it comes to them buying your football club who cares about human right violation.

Truth is we cant event forgone our love for football and turn a blind eye on principles but we ask them to turn hundreds of millions because of principles.

Hypocrisy

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Some of you criticize footballers for maximising their earning working on human right abuser, violater etc

But when it comes to them buying your football club who cares about human right violation.

Truth is we cant event forgone our love for football and turn a blind eye on principles but we ask them to turn hundreds of millions because of principles.

Hypocrisy
This is all invented.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
You're correct. Avariciousness is a lexical redundancy that was invented through a grammatical error (turning an adjective into a noun by adding the suffix 'ness', forgetting that there was/is a preexisting noun from which the adjective already derived).

Sorry @Fortitude

The Siege

I somewhat agree with you, but your choice of vocabulary distracted me enough to remember those late 2000s old english memes of contemporary pop music.

"I am enamored of ample posteriors,
Furthermore I find myself unable to utter falsehoods"

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I mean Beckenbauer was done for taking bribes twice in the last few years. Pele, Beckenbauer and Cruyff all went to the US for a payday. Pele was not known for his moral stances with relationships so it wouldn't be a stretch to question other areas, and the less said about Maradona's off field behaviour the better.

I think the only difference between them and Messi/Ronaldo is the rabid media hounding them and highlighting everything they get up to. Saudi Arabia's sportswashing project was a distant pipedream 40 years ago but would any of us have known if Pele went on a fully paid for trip there for some reason? Now its front page news.
Despite my mischief, I am quite curious if or where the line is drawn for quite literally the two top active earners especially considering legacy and if it is even factored (can the Argentinian do no wrong?).

There's a difference between going to a fledgling league for top dollar and going somewhere considered reprehensible because they pay the most, is there not?

I did make a point of stating how obscene amounts of money may turn most men in the boxing thread, which is why fights aren't being made - perhaps it's unfair to hold footballers to a higher standard, but the caveat is we're talking about a couple of billionaires with exponential growth here, not your average Joe, or even any boxer (not even Floyd comes close) so shouldn't it be looked at through a different lens?

Galactic

Incorrigible pest

Sorry @Fortitude
/thread

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
gluttons, galvanised by a decade of dominance, fearing their twilight fading, grasping the hand of glad tidings, ignoring the odious pocket ‘twas dipped ‘to. unnecessary wealth, ne’er to be spent, but accumulated nonetheless. a life well lived, a purpose, never fulfilled. an emptiness. it shan’t be whole again.
I'm perhaps enjoying your posts a little too much today. Can't keep loading smilies... you might think something untoward was happening... well, more than you usually do.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

Sorry @Fortitude
We live to learn.

Taking your word for it.

Avaricious'ness' being seen as a big word/deal was enlightening nonetheless.

acnumber9

I like the comparison to the likes of Cruyff and Pele. Because they went to America for the challenge.

JPRouve

Scout
I like the comparison to the likes of Cruyff and Pele. Because they went to America for the challenge.
Did either of them earn that much during their playing career? Unless I'm completely mistaken wages where completely different at the time for top players, someone like Cruijff was on less than 1 million euro per year during his peak. Which is a completely different scenario to someone that hasn't earned less than 30m-40m per year in the last 15 years.

FriedClams

Thought this was a thread about one scouser suggesting to another a meal accompaniment for his chicken dish

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Did either of them earn that much during their playing career? Unless I'm completely mistaken wages where completely different at the time for top players, someone like Cruijff was on less than 1 million euro per year during his peak. Which is a completely different scenario to someone that hasn't earned less than 30m-40m per year in the last 15 years.
Cruyff did. Pelé went because he was broke. Again.

acnumber9

Obviously not to that scale and I don’t particularly blame them but it’s just to point out that footballers have been driven by money for a long time. Why would they be any different?

JPRouve

Scout
Obviously not to that scale and I don’t particularly blame them but it’s just to point out that footballers have been driven by money for a long time. Why would they be any different?
I believe that the point of the OP is the scale not that the absolute idea that money isn't a motivator. There is a massive difference between someone making 20m over his career looking to double or triple that over a year and someone making a billion over their career and looking to add 200m regardless of circumstances.

I personally don't care about how much players make and where they get it, I have made that point many times in here. But I can't pretend that I don't see a difference between the highest earners in sport continuously chasing more money and people that earn 50 times less chasing a new paycheck both are wealthy but the formers are comically greedy.

MackRobinson

Supports
Football
@Fortitude You have my respect for trying to write with a bit of elegance, but unfortunately, you have to dumb it down for the Caf and pretend you are writing for a 5-year-old.

padr81

Supports
Man City
OP gonna have a proper meltdown when Qatar buy United.

He does have a point. How dare they work for the highest bidder? Instead they should quit work, stop washing and use their money to fund protests of the brutal human rights record of the middle east.

They should absolutely do most their human rights protests in adidas footwear and from smartphones to really sell the hypocrisy though.