The Banter Era

Seveneric

"OranjeCafe" to herald LVG's era. Cringiest attempt by the admins here, and that was before knowing his era would end the way it did.

RedDevilCanuck

Quite dreamy - blue eyes, blond hair, tanned skin
A big part of the fanbase wanting Qatar to buy the club trumps all.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

"OranjeCafe" to herald LVG's era. Cringiest attempt by the admins here, and that was before knowing his era would end the way it did.
That had more to do with the significance of United appointing their first ever continental manager than with LvG himself. At least, that's how i saw it back then. We were still at the stage where we believed that getting rid of Moyes alone would fix the problem, but nevertheless it was a (somewhat) historic moment for the club.

bringbackbebe

1. Woodward's "watch this space"
2. Getting Rangnick in
3. Handing out Bailly & Phil Jones new contracts & putting Martial/De Gea on 350k+ a week
4. Basically everything about Van De Beek

5. Evra doing that prank on Moyes at the airport
6. Basically all of LVG's signings except Luke Shaw
7. Basically all of Mourinho's signings
8. Basically all of Ole's signings, except maybe Bruno and also Van De Beek because he's been already mentioned
9. Ballads of Lingard, Pogba, Henderson, Cavani, Ronaldo, Schweinsteiger, Falcao, Angel Di Maria, Lukaku, Greenwood, Rojo, Maguire, Bailly.
10. Loans of Falcao, Ighalo, Weghorst and Sabitzer

and I haven't even scratched the surface :(

Oranges038

What?

That was one of the best moments :drool:
I thought we were just taking the piss out of stupid stuff from the last 10 years.

Hiring LVG was one of most moronic moves done in that time. He was useless, ruined the squad and played shite football.

MegadrivePerson

Under Moyes it felt like every week was banter week.

I remember when Everton won 1-0 at Old Trafford an Everton fan text me saying that it was the first time Moyes had helped Everton win at old Trafford as he couldn't do it in the 11 years he was Everton manager!

Dominos

A new leak every day in December 2021. With the culprits never officially found.

The players mocking the coaching team, with Chris Armas being dubbed "Ted Lasso".
On the subject of leaks..

Players calling Steve Round "feck off Round" behind his back.

LVG sending video analysis by email because players found the meetings too boring. Players opening said emails so it looked like they had watched it but never actually viewing the content.

Yik

Oppo fans singing "Ole's at the wheel" in the last few torturous weeks of Ole's reign.

Based Adnan

This is not true. Dave was in the form of his life when we gave him that contract.
Eh? Are you talking about the right renewal here?

He got the contract at the end of the 2018/19 season. He'd had a horrendous World Cup for Spain in 2018 and in the tail end of the 18/19 season made multiple mistakes which ended up costing us top 4.

These are some of the mistakes that culminated in him becoming the best paid GK in the world:

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Since it’s been a right miserable old week I thought we could cheer ourselves up by reminiscing about what a shit fecking ten years it’s been since Fergie left.

Post your favourite ridiculous things that have happened to our club in that time here.

Here’s a few for starters, they’re all fairly obvious ones. Points for the more obscure nuggets.

Ed Woodward scaring Klopp off being our manager by trying to sell the club as “Disneyland”

Ed Woodward bragging about how much money we have only to see everyone rip us off in the transfer market for the rest of eternity

Signing Fellaini on deadline day for more than his release clause, and him being the only signing that summer

Refusing to buy Maguire for Mourinho then spending 80m on him the next summer
Would he have been cheaper in 2018?

CloneMC16

Under Moyes it felt like every week was banter week.

I remember when Everton won 1-0 at Old Trafford an Everton fan text me saying that it was the first time Moyes had helped Everton win at old Trafford as he couldn't do it in the 11 years he was Everton manager!
Every other week, a record was broken in 13/14. It was a wild season. Every shit team that had never won at OT, did!

It was a huge shock after watching a pretty dominant team for a long time.

FreakyJim

90% of teams play better football than us
It really has. Ten years ago I was worried about how shit we were, working a stress filled job and losing my hair. Since then things have completely changed; I've gone bald.
You could go the Rooney way. Plant some hair on that dome.

IamBurnsey

Without a doubt united are Banter f.c, so many ridiculous things have happened that whoever writes a book on it all will be laughed out of existence because some people would think it could not be possibly true

Jaae

Not ITK
Another classic:

Renewing Ole’s contract after the EL final defeat and then waiting months to announce it because they knew public opinion was against him by this point. Ended up announcing it literally the day after Sancho was announced, only to then go and sack him 2 months later.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Every other week, a record was broken in 13/14. It was a wild season. Every shit team that had never won at OT, did!

It was a huge shock after watching a pretty dominant team for a long time.
Literally every home game felt like it, and every single time the game began with the commentator reeling off some fact about how long it had been since whatever team it was had won at OT.

"West Brom haven't won at Old Trafford since 1834" - Lose to West Brom

"The last time Everton picked up three points here, Henry VIII was about to marry his third wife" - Lose to Everton

"You'd be forgiven for thinking that you'd never seen Newcastle pick up a league win here, because the last time they did, King Harold still had two functioning eyes" - Lose to Newcastle

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Another classic:

Renewing Ole’s contract after the EL final defeat and then waiting months to announce it because they knew public opinion was against him by this point. Ended up announcing it literally the day after Sancho was announced, only to then go and sack him 2 months later.
I still can’t believe he didn’t go after the EL final, just mental decision making.

Loon

:lol:
Richard Keys must be the poster boy of the "banter" era. Now champion of the Lionesses.

Parma Dewol

Gosh, what a treasure trove you've unearthed, there's just too much to choose from.
  • That Depay header, against Southampton I think?
  • The time we vacated our entire half of the pitch against Basaksehir, leaving Demba Ba to launch a one-man counter attack.
  • When we sacked ol' Louis moments after winning the FA Cup.
  • Creating the most incompatible midfield pairing of all time in Mata and Fellaini.
  • Any one of the million times De Gea kicked the ball straight out of play.
  • Fellaini running diagonally across the pitch thinking he's Lucy Bronze.
  • Even recall being evacuated from the stadium. I might be wrong, but I think there was a drill a few days before, and somebody forgot to remove the fake bomb?
We're easily the most entertaining sporting entity in the world, albeit for all the wrong reasons.

Alex99

Rehab's Pete Doherty
Losing (and I believe damaging) the lid of the FA Cup.

tomaldinho1

• Getting banned from singing the Lukaku chant about him having a 24 inch penis, his form then went to shit
  • 'Fat Man'
  • Fred celebrating and sliding studs up into one of our players
  • The PE teacher gag which somehow stuck despite having no basis in reality
  • Ragnick coming in and being abandoned by all the coaches leaving him with fecking Armas

Steffa Barnesa

• When we sacked ol' Louis moments after winning the FA Cup.
This annoyed me. You could see winning the cup meant something to him, he was proud, and he's from an era when this was a huge trophy to win. I remember on another United website at the time someone justifying it by saying this had been one of the worst seasons in United's history. Coming fifth and winning the FA Cup meant it was surely one of the more successful season's in the club's entire history, but never mind. LVG ultimately underachieved - he wasn't the answer, but he wasn't the problem either, and surely deserved to celebrate a trophy for at least an evening.

Shoutout the the OP and to many of the posters who've contributed here. Genuinely the first time I've been able to almost smile about most of this stuff. Maybe seeing all these events grouped together has turned them from tragedy to comedy, or tragicomedy I suppose.