Music The Beatles - Abbey Road 50th Anniversary

Red Dreams

Across the Universe....from Old Trafford.
Got the Super Deluxe box Friday and was listening over the weekend.
Worth every penny.

Damn they were good.

I don't blame young people not being into them.
But if they are into good music, they will love it when they listen to it.

Casanova85

Supports
Cruyff/SAF
I've bought the magazine. Not the catchiest Beatles album, but the encapsulation of their craft and vision.

And for the record, listening to the opinion of kids and young teenagers has been pointless since at least the late '80s. Just ignore them. My fav acts when I was 9-13 were the Spice Girls, Backstreet Boys and Suede (their commercial phase). Everyone has to start somewhere; just don't talk about music with him/her until he/she grows up.

Last edited:

Eckers99

Michael Corleone says hello
Not the biggest fan of the Beatles but I Want You (She's so Heavy) is one of my favourite songs.

Hope this meets the threshold of approval from @Eckers99:)
No, I'm still not satisfied. You're all getting The Beatles wrong.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
I listened to it (the Super Deluxe Edition) on Spotify the other day. It sounds good, but not super noticeable better. Probably more for those on high end systems.

I love the album no matter what version I listen to.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
The medley is the most beautiful thing in popular music, especially the simple but poetic & fitting final words.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
The medley is the most beautiful thing in popular music, especially the simple but poetic & fitting final words.
I agree - that is my favorite bit of music on any album I've ever heard, it is absolute perfection.

Golden Slumbers gets me every time.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
So it's been released in full? Thought it was a bit further off. Must give it a listen tomorrow - is it like the White Album one last year in that it has a few versions of each song and some of the discussions, or is it the same songs but remastered?

And agreed, the medley on this album is arguably the best 16-18 minutes of popular music.

Olly Gunnar Solskjær

Marxist bacon-hating kebab-dodging Tinder rascal
Scout
The mind truely boggles. Have you actually sat and listened to the Abbey Road album in full? Honestly don't understand how anybody couldn't like it.
Yeah, they're one of those that I can't understand when someone says they don't like them. Like, ok maybe you don't like enough to consider yourself a fan or whatever, but to just "dislike" them outright? I don't get it.

Spiersey

Supports
Chelsea
Agreed, seen Paul Mccartney a couple years ago and he played it in full and it was truly incredible. Still get goosebumps thinking about it.

I'm 24 and Beatles have been one of my favourite bands since I was about 12/13, the article above isn't the most accurate representation of younger peoples attitude to them.

BD

technologically challenged barbie doll
Yeah, they're one of those that I can't understand when someone says they don't like them. Like, ok maybe you don't like enough to consider yourself a fan or whatever, but to just "dislike" them outright? I don't get it.
Most of the time it's people being edgy and/or ignorant. I can imagine some people not liking them, sure, but most of them haven't properly listened to them I imagine.

Revaulx

I love the Beatles but Abbey Road is well down my list of favourites. The White Album gets slated for being patchy, but the proportion of substandard stuff is a lot higher here. The luscious production and top quality arrangements (just listen to the depth of detail on Oh Darling) make it appear a better album than it is.

Minkaro

It's a superb album. Even when I didn't "get" The Beatles, I still loved that one. Now I do, it's still my favourite. Most of the songs are superb (it's only Sun King that does nothing for me).

Eckers99

Such a great album. Harrison brought his A Game.

Eckers99

Am I in the minority with Octopus's Garden being one of my favourite songs? Guessing I probably am :lol:
The best I could say about that is it's one of Ringo's better numbers!

I like Oh Darling. McCartney actually sounds quite raw on it, which makes a nice change.

lsd

The Oracle

I agree with everything she says bar her last few lines. I had to listen to all the beatles albums recently and was surprised how dull and depressing a lot of their songs were

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
If the World dismissed the opinions of teenage girls who didn't care for the music of 50 years ago, the Beatles would never have been The Beatles.

Just sayin'

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
True, mate.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
Sure, but at 16 my favourite tune was Sweet Like Chocolate by Shanks & BigFoot... it takes a while.

And there’s literally nothing worse in the entire world than a music snob. And I say this as someone who takes great pleasure in finding out the samples to famous hip hop tunes, and then being super condescending to people for not knowing it.

KingCantona87

Terrific work from Giles Martin and Sam Okell on remixing the tracks. I actually got quite emotional by the time Golden Slumbers came up on my playthrough. In my top 5 albums of all time.