The best and worst big money transfers ever

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Usually when we talk about the greatest transfers ever, we talk about such and such who was sold for a broken washing machine plus a packet of pretzels and turned into a superstar.

But what I want to talk about today are the transfers that broke the bank. The transfers where one of the world's largest clubs said to another of the world's largest clubs "I want to sign your playet and I'll pay a stupidly large amount of money to do it".

Is there a greatest big money signing ever? And is there a worse signing than Torres?

Oranges038

Off the top of my head.

Best
Ronaldo
Zidane
Figo
Rio
Rooney
Suarez
Van Dijk
De Bruyne
Bruno
Buffon

Worst
Di Maria
Torres/Carroll combined as one funded the other
Kaka
Coutinho
Dembele
Lemar
Drinkwater
Bonucci
Zlatan (Barca)
Higuain (Juve)
Pepe
James
Griezman
Morata
Veron
Shevchenko
Robinho

Ace_Ventura

Ronaldo from United to Madrid has to be the best.

Hazard from Chelsea to Madrid is the worst.

On a side note :- is Neymar's transfer to PSG considered successful or will he be considered a flop if they don't win CL with him.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Bit of history: Steve Daley, Wolves to Man City (1979) for £1.4 million. Don't laugh! It was the British transfer record at the time....

Reactions: 711

el3mel

Recently I can only think of Mbappe, VVD and Alisson as successful big money transfers.

About the majority of the rest have been duds.

Not sure how to rate Neymar though. He has done pretty well for PSG but at the same time I don't think they signed him just to win domestic competitions ? Similar to Juve signing Ronaldo, they didn't buy him to win the league.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Hazard has to win it for worst

redrobed

Surprised to see no mention of Maguire among the best - our only transfer that could really be considered ‘big’ money at that given time (Pogba aside which probably worked out to just be a reasonable deal) and he really solidified us. Think if he played for Liverpool or City the press would be lauding him non-stop.

Among the worst, I’d have to say Andy Carroll, and Robinho.

TheReligion

Abusive
Off the top of my head.

Best
Ronaldo
Zidane
Figo
Rio
Rooney
Suarez
Van Dijk
De Bruyne
Bruno
Buffon

Worst
Di Maria
Torres/Carroll combined as one funded the other
Kaka
Coutinho
Dembele
Lemar
Drinkwater
Bonucci
Zlatan (Barca)
Higuain (Juve)
Pepe
James
Griezman
Morata
Veron
Shevchenko
Robinho
Keita?

Zaphod2319

Supports
Chelsea
The thing that makes Hazard’s transfer enjoyable is when Zidane said that a player like Hazard needs Real Madrid to bring out the best in him!

How did that work out Zizou??

simplyared

Bit of history: Steve Daley, Wolves to Man City (1979) for £1.4 million. Don't laugh! It was the British transfer record at the time....
Good shout! Malcolm Allison signed him during a period of transition for the club. Daley who was a complete failure added to Allison's frustrations. The transition turned into chaos and Daley was made a scapegoat by most city fans and media. Considering the effect it had on the club it is definately one of the worst big money transfers ever.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Surprised to see no mention of Maguire among the best - our only transfer that could really be considered ‘big’ money at that given time (Pogba aside which probably worked out to just be a reasonable deal) and he really solidified us. Think if he played for Liverpool or City the press would be lauding him non-stop.

Among the worst, I’d have to say Andy Carroll, and Robinho.
Robinho was alright I thought. City’s top scorer the first season before it fell apart the second season.

Trezeguet17

I remember Mendieta was poor for Real Madrid after his big move from Valencia.

The worst has got to be Hazard to Real. No competition.
Mendieta never player for Real Madrid.

Kaka is still the most disappointing one for me.

TheReligion

Abusive
Worst for Chelsea? I'd say Sheva. Tons of contenders for it though.

Best for Chelsea? Drogba.
Kepa must be up there for worst?

I guess it's not a big money signing (not sure what £11m was back then) but Lampard one of the best?

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout

I guess it's not a big money signing (not sure what £11m was back then) but Lampard one of the best?
I did think about Lampard for the best. £11 mil was a lot at the time (especially for his age). Drogba was £35 milllion and a pretty big gamble after 1 good season for Marseille.

Kepa would be goalie in our "worst buys" XI for sure. He's still got time on his side which keeps him off the top spot for now.

JebelSherif

Supports
Huddersfield Town
Winstone Bogarde (Chelsea), he didn't hardly ever play, but refused to move on, so week in week out in the stand on £50 grand a week, which was top money at the time.

Not sure what his transfer fee was but I assume this thread can include high earning flops as well as big transfer fee flops, e.g. Sanchez at Utd.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
Winstone Bogarde (Chelsea), he didn't hardly ever play, but refused to move on, so week in week out in the stand on £50 grand a week, which was top money at the time.

Not sure what his transfer fee was but I assume this thread can include high earning flops as well as big transfer fee flops, e.g. Sanchez at Utd.
He was a free transfer. It was £40K a week on a 4 year contract so just over £8,000,000 all in.

Nowhere near "the worst big money transfer ever".

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Alfredo Di Stéfano is the most obvious candidate for the “best big money transfers” category methinks, and should compulsorily be #1 in these type of lists. To fully appreciate what he meant to the institution after signing from Millonarios, you have to consider Madrid from the 1930s to early 1950s...as they were far removed from their modern perception of grandeur: hadn't won a La Liga title in 2 decades, trailed the likes of Barcelona, Athletic Club and Valencia in terms of the highest domestic honors, and progress was slow in spite of Santiago Bernabéu's best efforts as they had emerged from a period of austerity. By the time Di Stéfano left the club, Madrid had won a record 10 La Liga titles, 5 European Cup titles on the trot, and had solidified themselves as the grandest club in fútbol — establishing a heritage of glamour that would attract the talents of Cristiano, Zidane, Ronaldo, Figo, Kaká, Beckham and so forth in decades to come.
  • Another obvious one is Diego Maradona from Barcelona to Napoli. Turned the unfancied club (which was deemed fundamentally inferior to traditionally great ones from Northern Italy) on its head, won them the only league titles in club history, and became an all-encompassing cultural icon. And this was at a time when the opposition had galácticos like Platini, van Basten, Matthäus, Baresi, Gullit, Baggio, Maldini, Rijkaard, Scirea, Zico, Brehme, et cetera!
  • For the understated variety, Luis Suárez Miramontes from Barcelona to Internazionale. Quickly established himself as a leader and came to the fore as the latter's version of Xavi (in terms of game-defining playmaking and organisational prowess from central midfield) as they conquered a decade-long barren spell to win 2 European Cups (record for Italian clubs at the time) and 3 Serie A titles in 4 years following the move.
Worst big money transfers: Coutinho from Liverpool to Barcelona, Mendieta from Valencia to Lazio, Nielsen from Bologna to Internazionale.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea

Vialli never wanted Bogarde. Was a signing from the higher ups.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea

11m was high-ish for that era, 15m was the world record with Shearer just 6yrs or so prior. 15 for JFH was good business too.

Among the worst is Kepa, Torres, Sheva, Morata, Mutu has to be in there even though he was decent, the idiocy puts him in there for me. Veron wasn't great even though he did start well. Crespo definitely not among the worst either.

In terms of general flops for us, the list is enormous, whether they be free or not

NWRed

Lentini is a shout for the worst, £13 million world record signing for AC Milan, played one decent season then was seriously injured in a car crash, rarely played for them again after recovering and left for Atalanta a few seasons later.

ZolaWasMagic

Supports
Chelsea
Lentini is a shout for the worst, £13 million world record signing for AC Milan, played one decent season then was seriously injured in a car crash, rarely played for them again after recovering and left for Atalanta a few seasons later.
forgot about him, beat Vialli's fee by half a mill

Iker Quesadillas

Supports
Real Madrid
Sergio Ramos cost an outrageous 27m in 2005 as an 18-year-old and has had a 16 year long career at RM, I think that's one of the better expensive ones.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I can’t ever get over Coutinho. Not only has he been absolutely awful for Barcelona, they paid his wage to go on loan and knock them out of the CL a season or two later. You can’t get any worse of a signing than that.