The best footballing brothers

Red Star One

Surely the Ronaldo brothers are the best

Their son Ronaldinho also deserves a mention.

speaking of sons - has there ever been a top level game to feature a father and a son on the same pitch? I know there’s talk about LeBron possibly facing his son in the NBA next season, but can’t think of such situation in football. It’s quite difficult technically, but Sterling had his first daughter before turning 18, so in theory - if not for the gender - they could face each other in the same game…

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.

speaking of sons - has there ever been a top level game to feature a father an a son on the same pitch? I know there’s talk about LeBron possibly facing his son in the NBA next season, but can’t think of such situation in football. It’s quite difficult technically, but Sterling had his first daughter before turning 18, so in theory - if not for the gender - they could face each other in the same game…

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
speaking of sons - has there ever been a top level game to feature a father and a son on the same pitch?
Not sure. But I found it funny that Kevin Pilkington had been benched by 2 generations of Schmeichels (Peter at United and Kasper at Notts County).

Red_Aaron

speaking of sons - has there ever been a top level game to feature a father and a son on the same pitch? I know there’s talk about LeBron possibly facing his son in the NBA next season, but can’t think of such situation in football. It’s quite difficult technically, but Sterling had his first daughter before turning 18, so in theory - if not for the gender - they could face each other in the same game…
Pretty sure Rivaldo played with his son.....

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
speaking of sons - has there ever been a top level game to feature a father and a son on the same pitch?
Not exactly “top level” but Aleksei Yeryomenko played against his father (also named Aleksei Yeryomenko) in the Finnish First Division.

Interestingly enough, also they played together in the following season for HJK Helsinki...

RedRocket9908

Eric Cantona had a brother called Joel who played for many clubs including Peterborough and Stockport before finishing his career at Marsielle

Mike Smalling

How about a brother XI? I'm leaving out the goalkeeper, so five pairs of brothers can make up the outfield team.

GK
G. Neville - J. Charlton - G. Milito - P. Neville
B. Charlton - Socrates
B. Laudrup - Rai - M. Laudrup
D. Milito​

Grande

A good shout for the terror twins Reinier Lambertus and Wilhelmus Antonius (yes!), more known as Rene and Willy van de Kerkhof.

They were a part of the best national team that never won a big trophy, The Netherlands of WC 74 (final), EC 76 (bronze) and WC 78 (final). A fantastic team!

The followed each other at FC Twente and PSV Eindhoven, both won the UEFA Cup in 77-78, and Willy went on to win the CL (European Cup) with PSV in 1987-88, funnily enough with a young Koeman brother on the pitch.
Rene was right winger with three league titles to his name, Willy won six leagues - and to put this into perspective; they played in an Eredivisie era in with one of the worlds best teams ever (Ajax 71-74) and when teams like Feyenoord won CL (1970) and UEFA Cup (1974) and ‘minor’ teams like FC Twente and AZ Alkmaar went to European finals.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
The only team that matters
Great post and thanks for contributing - I was waiting for one of our Caf historian experts to chip in, as I wasn't sure if the Charltons were the first and only WC siblings winners.
Seconded, I didn't know this either

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
Pretty sure Rivaldo played with his son.....
He did though you might wanna rephrase that :lol:

George Eastham played a game with his father in Northern Ireland’s Gold Cup, and Henrik Larson played in a game with his son in the Swedish fourth-tier team , Alex and David Herd played in 3rd division game and Ian and Gary Bowyer a 4th divison

Gehrman

Phallic connoisseur, unlike shamans
Laudrup brothers, outstanding technique, team players and godly handsome.

Red Star One

Second Bundesliga might not count as "top level", but Marton, Bence and Palko Dardai are currently playing together for Hertha BSC. Which is managed by their father Pal Dardai. Think that's worth kind of an honourable mention here.
I missed this post earlier and this is really unusual but also smells of nepotism at this stage :lol: :lol: :lol: the father at charge, imagine the family dynamics

Malkovich

What about father & son?

Djalma Dias & Djalminha

Mazinho & Thiago Alcântara

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
Supports
I missed this post earlier and this is really unusual but also smells of nepotism at this stage :lol: :lol: :lol: the father at charge, imagine the family dynamics
You could always ask SAF - one soe in his team and another an agent

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Eric Cantona had a brother called Joel who played for many clubs including Peterborough and Stockport before finishing his career at Marsielle
You are the only true United fan on this forum. The rest are an embarrassment.

harms

Staff
Weirdly enough you can create a decently balanced XI for the brothers vs brothers clash! I wonder which side would win...

A. Donnarumma
K. Touré - G. Baresi - J. Charlton - P. Neville
E. Koeman - F. Kroos - R. de Boer
B. Laudrup - S. Inzaghi - T. Hazard

F. Inzaghi
E. Hazard - B. Charlton - M. Laudrup
T. Kroos - Y. Touré
F. de Boer - F. Baresi - R. Koeman - G. Neville
G. Donnarumma​

JPRouve

Scout
Weirdly enough you can create a decently balanced XI for the brothers vs brothers clash! I wonder which side would win...

A. Donnarumma
K. Touré - G. Baresi - J. Charlton - P. Neville
E. Koeman - F. Kroos - R. de Boer
B. Laudrup - S. Inzaghi - T. Hazard

F. Inzaghi
E. Hazard - B. Charlton - M. Laudrup
T. Kroos - Y. Touré
F. de Boer - F. Baresi - R. Koeman - G. Neville
G. Donnarumma​
Liar, you are not wondering. One team has all the better brothers.

The Vujović twins, Zoran and Zlatko, played 400+ games for Hajduk Split each, joined Bordeaux in 1986 together and won the double straight away. They were also regulars for the Yugoslavia national team. Zoran was a defender, while Zlatko was a forward who scored over 100 league goals for Hajduk and was voted Yugoslav Footballer of the Year in 1981.

Any other prominent twins?

Niko and Robert Kovač both won a double for Bayern Munich together. Robert won an additional double as a player, Niko as a manager. They were capped 80+ times for the Croatia national team, which they both captained.

BootsyCollins

Laudrup is the correct answer imo with Charlton second.

Norway has some decent shouts.
Tore Andre Flo with his brother Jostein Flo had pretty good careers and played in the 98 WC together. They had another brother who played semi-pro i think and a cousin, Håvard Flo, who played for Wolves and Werder Bremen and also played in the 98 WC.

The Berg family also with the father Harald Berg and his sons Ørjan, Runar and Arild who all played pro football in Norway. Runar and Ørjan played pro outside of Norway to.
The father, Harald, even had a brother who played football and played against Barcelona for Lyn. Thats football heritage.

JPRouve

Scout
I'm curious to see how the Mbappé and Thuram brothers are going to influence this thread in the future. Otherwise the Hernandez brothers aren't too shabby.

harms

Staff
Liar, you are not wondering. One team has all the better brothers.
Didn't feel the need to include white text as it was so obvious. But I was pleasantly surprised to assemble that team from the get-go without any tinkering considering how different Charlton, Koeman, de Boer & Touré brothers were in terms of their positions and playing style. Only Michael Laudrup & Kolo Touré are played out of their preferred position and even so both had some experience at right wing & right back respectively.

harms

Staff
Lucidio Sentimenti (1 July 1920 – 28 November 2014), also known as Sentimenti IV, was an Italian footballer from Bomporto in the Province of Modena, who played as a goalkeeper. His nickname, Sentimenti IV, comes from the fact that he is the fourth of five brothers – Ennio (I), Arnaldo (II), Vittorio (III) and Primo (V) - all of whom but the eldest were also professional footballers. Only Lucidio played for the Italy national side.
When there are so many of them that you're forced to go numerical :lol:

They were pretty good:
Arnaldo was a keeper for Napoli, spending over a decade there and serving as their captain
Vittorio was an attacking midfielder with more than 200 games for Juve in Serie A alone (62 goals)
Primo was a utility player, usually playing in defensive roles, with more than 200 games for Lazio
and Lucidio, another keeper, played for Juve and Lazio (amassing more than 500 Serie A games under his belt) as well as getting 9 caps for Italy