Television The best way to watch TV/ Movies

Andy_Cole

I’ve been getting into this with my nerd hat on this winter realising that all this time I haven’t been watching at the maximum capability. I have Sky Q UHD, a UHD 4K player and a 4K TV. Surround sound is just Dolby 5.1.

Well firstly I realised that my HDMI output was not set to enhanced 4K. That made a huge difference, especially with HDR for my 4K movies. Best way to watch anything is through disk.

Secondly realised that my Sky Q box was V1 so doesn’t support HDR. Which sucks, will have to pay them £50 to upgrade. This was by researching for ages why Disney + was set to just HD. Netflix was 4K UHD.

My discovery though, which surprised me was that downloading Netflix/ Disney onto my TV allowed me to stream everything to the max capability. So concluded that it’s probably best to stream through the TV rather than Sky. Mandalorian now looks glorious.

Drawfull

My discovery though, which surprised me was that downloading Netflix/ Disney onto my TV allowed me to stream everything to the max capability. So concluded that it’s probably best to stream through the TV rather than Sky. Mandalorian now looks glorious.
I had this with Netflix in that not all versions of their app are created equal, and fixed it by using it through Apple TV rather than through the TV/UHD player whatever.

Are you planning to get Atmos?

Andy_Cole

I had this with Netflix in that not all versions of their app are created equal, and fixed it by using it through Apple TV rather than through the TV/UHD player whatever.

Are you planning to get Atmos?
Not right now. I have a Sonos setup which is connected with an optical wire as I don’t want to use the HDMI Arc (one of my two 4K outputs!). In the future when I need a huge upgrade I’d upgrade my Sonos Playbar to an Arc but not until I upgrade my TV.

Loving the HDR on Netflix and Disney Plus right now!

My TV was bought in 2017 and I was worried it may not have been HDR ready. Probably the reason why I’ve been looking so much into the settings and such to ensure that my TV was able to output the maximum quality.

Crazy that probably so many people have top of the range TVs but haven’t maximised the output due to settings. I’m one of them!

Drawfull

Not right now. I have a Sonos setup which is connected with an optical wire as I don’t want to use the HDMI Arc (one of my two 4K outputs!). In the future when I need a huge upgrade I’d upgrade my Sonos Playbar to an Arc but not until I upgrade my TV.

Loving the HDR on Netflix and Disney Plus right now!

My TV was bought in 2017 and I was worried it may not have been HDR ready. Probably the reason why I’ve been looking so much into the settings and such to ensure that my TV was able to output the maximum quality.

Crazy that probably so many people have top of the range TVs but haven’t maximised the output due to settings. I’m one of them!
Was confused with the HDMI ARC / Arc for a second. I might have to try it when I change my soundbar but it's expensive (2000eur including sub and rears). Currently, I have Sony's HTST5000 in the lounge, but whilst it sounds great in general, its surround effect is crap, you cannot add rear speakers to it and the Atmos implementation is sketchy, despite positive reviews from media when it first launched. I'm not sure it's simply down to only using upward firing drivers (as opposed to ceiling mounted Atmos), as I use dedicated upward drivers in my main room and they're night and day compared to the Sony.

For me Atmos and HDR/WCG are the most important things now with UHD media, much more than just resolution (although some 4k content does look amazing).

Andy_Cole

Was confused with the HDMI ARC / Arc for a second. I might have to try it when I change my soundbar but it's expensive (2000eur including sub and rears). Currently, I have Sony's HTST5000 in the lounge, but whilst it sounds great in general, its surround effect is crap, you cannot add rear speakers to it and the Atmos implementation is sketchy, despite positive reviews from media when it first launched. I'm not sure it's simply down to only using upward firing drivers (as opposed to ceiling mounted Atmos), as I use dedicated upward drivers in my main room and they're night and day compared to the Sony.

For me Atmos and HDR/WCG are the most important things now with UHD media, much more than just resolution (although some 4k content does look amazing).
Like I said in my initial post - I've only just discovered HDR. It's so impressive. Literally everything I watch now is a treat with such vivid colours. I can't wait for them to add HDR to football in 2021 too.

The Sonos setup I have is great. I am intrigued by Atmos but can't imagine how much better it can get from my current setup. I'm sure the 3d sound is incredible. Just too expensive of an upgrade I want to do right now. Maybe in a few years!

I've recently spent a small fortune getting my favourite movies on 4K UHDs and have absolutely loved it. Great way to be in lockdown!

Drawfull

Like I said in my initial post - I've only just discovered HDR. It's so impressive. Literally everything I watch now is a treat with such vivid colours. I can't wait for them to add HDR to football in 2021 too.

The Sonos setup I have is great. I am intrigued by Atmos but can't imagine how much better it can get from my current setup. I'm sure the 3d sound is incredible. Just too expensive of an upgrade I want to do right now. Maybe in a few years!

I've recently spent a small fortune getting my favourite movies on 4K UHDs and have absolutely loved it. Great way to be in lockdown!
I've pretty much done the same this year with 4K too; upgraded a lot of my Blu Ray and bought too many others as well. I'm not sure about UK pricing, but I tend to buy Italian 4Ks off Amazon in Spain when available since you can frequently get them at like 13euro each (e.g., Miss Peregrine and the Home for Peculiar Children in 13euro for the Italian and 30 for the Spanish right now on Amazon). More often than not, the disc inside is the English version, and they always have the English audio regardless. Depends if you like the cases to be English, but saves a lot unless you're buying stuff at release.

Andy_Cole

I've pretty much done the same this year with 4K too; upgraded a lot of my Blu Ray and bought too many others as well. I'm not sure about UK pricing, but I tend to buy Italian 4Ks off Amazon in Spain when available since you can frequently get them at like 13euro each (e.g., Miss Peregrine and the Home for Peculiar Children in 13euro for the Italian and 30 for the Spanish right now on Amazon). More often than not, the disc inside is the English version, and they always have the English audio regardless. Depends if you like the cases to be English, but saves a lot unless you're buying stuff at release.
To be fair I’ve been getting movies at a similar price.

Decent collection:
Nolan box set (Xmas gift)
Matrix
Gladiator
Joker
American Pycho
Harry Potter box set (for the wife!)
Mad Max
It
Jurassic Park box set

Drawfull

'For the wife!' heh... Deathly Hallows especially is miles better with HDR/4K since it's so dark.

Box sets are a boon! Picked up the Mission Impossible one for 45 quid (Amazon UK) earlier this year.

Also, if you've even a fleeting interest in the Hobbit/LotR trilogies, they're spectacular in 4K and definitely pick them up. Hobbit's picture is nuts but it was mastered from 6K which explains it a bit. Puts almost all of my other discs to shame. Dunkirk is great quality too in your Nolan set (and Interstellar, especially the IMAX shots).

Last edited:

Andy_Cole

'For the wife!' heh... Deathly Hallows especially is miles better with HDR/4K since it's so dark.

Box sets are a boon! Picked up the Mission Impossible one for 45 quid (Amazon UK) earlier this year.

Also, if you've even a fleeting interest in the Hobbit/LotR trilogies, they're spectacular in 4K and definitely pick them up. Hobbit's picture is nuts but it was mastered from 6K which explains it a bit. Puts almost all of my other discs to shame. Dunkirk is great quality too in your Nolan set (and Interstellar, especially the IMAX shots).
Watched Dark Knight tonight. Spectacular. Kept comparing to the Sky version and it’s so much better.

Think I’m going to purchase LOTR.