The centre-forward market...

Erik the Red

Yeah that's our only hope of a signing in January
Besides Depay, I think Felix, Moukoko and Gakpo might all be available in January for the right money. Personally, I think Gakpo in January would be great, and Moukoko for free in the summer.

Elcabron

Very good shout - suppose he wouldn't be able to play for us against them either, so they probably wouldn't care. I liked him as a player and hoped he would be a success for us.

Totally agree that there's no way we get our long term target, Ronaldo replacement, instant starting XI striker etc call it what you will in January. But, it is evident we will need a competent forward who can contribute some goals if we want a top four finish.
Well Couthino played and scored for Bayern against Barca last season I think. Might just be a PL rule and not a rule in Europe.

Would be funny to see it happening to them again.

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
Breel Embolo

He's been on fire since arriving at Monaco, and he'd fit in pretty nicely in a high pressing system.
I know he's flown under the radar since his teenage hype, but injuries got the better off him nearly every season.
Now he's matured his decision making, still needs to work on a better finishing but is a physical force and good in the air.

Expect him to have a fantastic WC
I would not be averse to this, he's impressed me every time on the international stage, but not seen a lot of him at club level. We need someone with presence up there who can occupy defenders and could be someone to watch closely in the WC.

NoPace

Rutter really jumps out. Only 2 in 15 for Hoffenheim but he's only 20. Would be interesting to bring him in for 6 months on a loan with a big option to buy if Hoffenheim would bit.

croadyman

Besides Depay, I think Felix, Moukoko and Gakpo might all be available in January for the right money. Personally, I think Gakpo in January would be great, and Moukoko for free in the summer.
Think Felix would be top signing,however do worry he won't help improve the goal output. Depay is an interesting one if he is more willing to work for the team than last time

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Think Felix would be top signing,however do worry he won't help improve the goal output. Depay is an interesting one if he is more willing to work for the team than last time
I just don't see Depay as the answer to our lack of goals. Not sure how much he's improved (from what I've seen, not enough) but he is not a No.9 and is no more likely to become one than Martial

angak

People keep mentioning Gakpo as a striker option. He is not a striker. The last thing we need is a right sided left winger/forward.

DanClancy

People keep mentioning Gakpo as a striker option. He is not a striker. The last thing we need is a right sided left winger/forward.
We've spent nearly £150m on wingers the last 2 summers in addition to Rashford who prefers playing wide and now one of the best young talents in football in Garnacho has emerged; A wide player is the last position we need to strengthen.

I'm at a loss why he keeps been mentioned.

crossy1686

career ending
So realistically, who's available? Stop gap or otherwise, who could do a good job for the next 24 months?

Toney, Sesko, Gakpo, Watkins, Ings, Mitrovic, Abraham, Trossard, Daka, Milik, Pellegrini, Moreno.

Drizzle

So realistically, who's available? Stop gap or otherwise, who could do a good job for the next 24 months?

Toney, Sesko, Gakpo, Watkins, Ings, Mitrovic, Abraham, Trossard, Daka, Milik, Pellegrini, Moreno.
Feels unlikely we would be able to get our main top tier striker target in January. I think we'd be looking at a stopgap or squad option to get us through to the summer.

Getting strikers out of English clubs will cost a lot of money. Most clubs are quite wealthy now. Getting key players out of clubs chasing titles (eg Napoli) also feels unlikely.

I'd say Jonathan David could fit the bill if we could get him for a reasonable £40m and Lille could sell. Not an amazing player but decent squad rotation, has a bustling physical style that could suit our system, and wouldn't blow the summer budget.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
Sesko I think will be a big star, and priced accordingly.

Watkins, Ings, Mitrovic, Milik - not good enough.

Moreno - best days behind him probably, and not top class anyway.

Trossard is more a wide attacker, and we have enough.

Toney/Abraham - probably not good enough but not totally sure. I wouldn't take a punt on them.

Thuram or Daka or David - could be interesting. Daka is underrated I think.

OT_United

The important thing this summer is to get an out-and-out number 9. I admire Gakpo a lot, but we have too many left forwards.
Toney is my choice, cheaper and risk-free compared to someone like Osimhen.

SparkedIntoLife

Moffi or Thuram seem the most obvious options. Doubt either would be especially pricey, especially as Thuram’s contract is expiring soon. Gakpo is most linked and it’s obvious ETH likes him. He seems to have attributes to play centrally (he’s playing as a number 10 for Netherlands, right?) but most of the Dutch fans/journalists suggest he is better on the left where we’re very well stocked.

I very much doubt we’ll spend 100m or thereabouts in January so that rules out most rumoured targets who are anywhere near United quality.

crossy1686

career ending

Toney/Abraham - probably not good enough but not totally sure. I wouldn't take a punt on them.

Really, we only need 10 to 15 goals from a what we can bring in over January. The wingers will pitch in with goals this season and we can look for the next quality forward in the summer. For now just get someone in with the next 2 years in mind and let them grab those 10-15 goals we desperately need.

MadMike

From our league, I like Mitrovic and Toney. They've done it in the Championship and done it in the EPL too. They have the right energy and pedigree. They'll be good for this league and they can hit the ground running without much adjustment time.

Otherwise go for a loanee like Milik and save money for someone in the summer.

Moffi or Thuram seem the most obvious options. Doubt either would be especially pricey, especially as Thuram’s contract is expiring soon. Gakpo is most linked and it’s obvious ETH likes him. He seems to have attributes to play centrally (he’s playing as a number 10 for Netherlands, right?) but most of the Dutch fans/journalists suggest he is better on the left where we’re very well stocked.
Centrally as a #10 and centrally as a #9 are vastly different things though. When you play as a striker skills like hold up play, back-to-goal play, playing on the shoulder and running in behind, movement in the box, heading ability... are all quite important. But not nearly as relevant for a #10 where vision, passing, link-up, shooting are far more essential.

Last edited:

MadMike

I sense a bias against EPL players. Maybe because of their inflated cost? Maybe foreign unknown quantities seem more appealing? Otherwise I struggle to explain how Mitrovic and Toney are apparently "not good enough" but Thuram and David are "interesting".

Toney has 10 goals in 15 games in the EPL playing for Brentfort. Certainly as, if not more, impressive than same age Thuram having same stats but in a far more open league that is the Bundesliga. Or Jonathan David's 9 in 15 with LOSC in France.

What gives?

Last edited:

croadyman

I just don't see Depay as the answer to our lack of goals. Not sure how much he's improved (from what I've seen, not enough) but he is not a No.9 and is no more likely to become one than Martial
Who can we sign in January to help with that

Drizzle

Agree that Toney and Mitrovic would be good for us. Experienced, physical Prem-proven strikers who would relish the chance to play for a club like United. Could definitely see them scoring 20 a season for us.

The only problem being, we'd be paying champions league fees for europa league players. And then we're stuck with them for a few years because we're not an oil club. That may begin to hurt if we're seeing the likes of Haaland, Salah, Sesko, Osimhen at our rivals.

croadyman

Agree that Toney and Mitrovic would be good for us. Experienced, physical Prem-proven strikers who would relish the chance to play for a club like United. Could definitely see them scoring 20 a season for us.

The only problem being, we'd be paying champions league fees for europa league players. And then we're stuck with them for a few years because we're not an oil club. That may begin to hurt if we're seeing the likes of Haaland, Salah, Sesko, Osimhen at our rivals.
So are you saying we should wait for Sesko/Osimhen,my worry with that is where do the goals come from until then

Drizzle

So are you saying we should wait for Sesko/Osimhen,my worry with that is where do the goals come from until then
That's the dilemma, isn't it, and it's a situation we've allowed ourselves to get into.

Ultimately I think we've got to gamble on Toney/Mitro or similar and hope they settle quickly and the rest of the team will chip in with goals too. We can't let the rest of the season slide into nothing because we only have one striker, who's made of pringles.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
I sense a bias against EPL players. Maybe because of their inflated cost? Maybe foreign unknown quantities seem more appealing? Otherwise I struggle to explain how Mitrovic and Toney are apparently "not good enough" but Thuram and David are "interesting".

Toney has 10 goals in 15 games in the EPL playing for Brentfort. Certainly as, if not more, impressive than same age Thuram having same stats but in a far more open league that is the Bundesliga. Or Jonathan David's 9 in 15 with LOSC in France.

What gives?
Now much would Toney cost? How much Thuram? The latter is free in the summer.

MadMike

I don't agree along two different parameters.

One, there's always a demand in the Prem for Prem proven players. If you sign Toney at 26yo and you decide to sell him at 28yo to buy a world class player, then you'll still recoup a good chunk of his value. If you sign the next big thing from the continent for an exorbitant amount of money and he doesn't work out, you'll only recoup a small fraction. Sesko seems very talented but his stats are very underwhelming. He could be the next big thing or he could be a Luka Jovic. If we pay big for him and he flops, we lose big.

Two, I'm kinda tired of on us going for what I see as extremes, on the striker position. That is ether an old veteran as a stop gap (Ibra, Cavani, Ighalo, Ronaldo etc.) or some young talent we overpay for and buy too early (Martial) or some big expensive name we pin all our hopes on (Lukaku). A team also needs good, stable, mature players who can contribute a lot from a squad position. Like the Liverpool purchase of Jota for example. You sign someone like Toney and you have a good squad player for the next 6-7 years who will do a decent job. Nothing is guaranteed of course, but it's 90% likely to be that way.

So I don't see that as being "stuck with".

Last edited:

Drizzle

I don't agree along two different parameters.

One, there's always a demand in the Prem for Prem proven players. If you sign Toney at 26yo and you decide to sell him at 28yo to buy a world class player, then you'll still recoup a good chunk of his value. If you sign the next big thing from the continent for an exorbitant amount of money and he doesn't work out, you'll only recoup a small fraction. Sesko seems very talented but his stats are very underwhelming. He could be the next big thing or he could be a Luka Jovic. If we pay big for him and he flops, we lose big.

Two, I'm kinda tired of betting on us going for what I see as extremes, on the striker position. That is ether an old veteran as a stop gap (Ibra, Cavani, Ighalo, Ronaldo etc.) or some young talent we overpay for and buy too early (Martial) or some big expensive name we pin all our hopes on (Lukaku). A team also needs good and stable players who can contribute a lot from a squad position. Like Liverpool purchase of Jota for example. You sign someone like Toney and you have a good squad player for the next 6-7 years who will do a decent job. Nothing is guaranteed of course, but it's 90% likely to be that way.

So I don't see that as being "stuck with".
I meant stuck with in the sense that we wouldn't usually flip them quickly if they weren't working out for us. Historically it would take 3 or more years to move them on, so it's an opportunity cost because we possibly wouldn't have the budget to get another elite striker in until they were sold.

That said, as I pointed out in my subsequent post, it's a risk I think we have to take, so I guess we basically agree.

MadMike

Now much would Toney cost? How much Thuram? The latter is free in the summer.
My point was about the judgement passed on the quality. We have players who've we seen do it in this league, yet apparently they're not good enough. But players in France or Germany performing at the same level but in noticeably weaker leagues, are deemed good enough. And I asked, how so?

If we say that Thuram is a lower risk due to almost non-existent cost, then ok. I can get on board with that. Yet the other player mentioned was Jonathan David, he's not at the end of his contract and he is not gonna come very cheap at all.

MadMike

I meant stuck with in the sense that we wouldn't usually flip them quickly if they weren't working out for us. Historically it would take 3 or more years to move them on, so it's an opportunity cost because we possibly wouldn't have the budget to get another elite striker in until they were sold.
I see your point. We've always been slow to offload players, indeed. I'm slightly hopeful things might change in the post-Woodward era. It must be clearly noticeable that keeping and extending players like Jones, Bailly, Lingard, Mata etc. for too long has only cost us and not saved us any money or protected player value.

Let's see. If we sell VDB and AWB in the summer to bring in replacements, I'll start believing that we're changing tack.

Last edited:

lex talionis

I don’t see any realistic prolific scoring options for January. Perhaps we should focus on finding a 9 who has good hold up play, is happy to find the runner in the box, and can press…a few goals in his boots would be a plus.

Any 9 that we’d really want will have to wait until the summer.

Bojan Djordjic

We can promote Shola. Not that far from being ready.
Not even a pure striker but also I don't really know if he will have what it takes to succeed at United. Really hope I'm wrong but he just seems like one of those players that while being quite rounded and above average at most things isn't really a standout at any one thing. He's had a few senior opportunities and like Gomes and Garner seemed very passive and was not involved in the games he contributed at all.

SER19

We need something from January to May and could do worse than depay on an 18 month deal.

Erik the Red

I don’t see any realistic prolific scoring options for January. Perhaps we should focus on finding a 9 who has good hold up play, is happy to find the runner in the box, and can press…a few goals in his boots would be a plus.

Any 9 that we’d really want will have to wait until the summer.
I think Gakpo, Moukoko and Brobbey are all attainable in January, and I would be happy to see any of them join, as I think all three fit the ETH mould of a striker. I don't think any of them would break the bank, probably around 30m each (Moukoko is free in the summer). I am not keen on any of the other names that have been linked apart from Sesko (who would be a big risk as likely to be a high fee) or Mbappe (if this is at all realistic?)

RikRuud

I'd like to see us go for Vlahović in the summer. Would cost an arm and a leg but at 22/23 could be a great option.

r3idy

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
I'd like to see us go for Vlahović in the summer. Would cost an arm and a leg but at 22/23 could be a great option.
Guess that all depends on how Juve perform after the W/C

They look to be in quite the mess with further irregularities hanging over them on previous transfers. A fine or points deduction is not out of the question. Then you add in there squad needs some MAJOR repair. If ever there was a club that could match us for stature and pretty bad decisions in recent year's it's Juve.

Personally take Vlahovic in a heart beat.

MadMike

We need something from January to May and could do worse than depay on an 18 month deal.
I don’t know man.

He’s more of a wide forward than a #9. He’s been a bust in this league and this club before. He is currently injured and he has had only 131 mins under his belt all season.

We can do worse, sure, but I feel like we can do a lot better too.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
I think Gakpo, Moukoko and Brobbey are all attainable in January, and I would be happy to see any of them join, as I think all three fit the ETH mould of a striker. I don't think any of them would break the bank, probably around 30m each (Moukoko is free in the summer). I am not keen on any of the other names that have been linked apart from Sesko (who would be a big risk as likely to be a high fee) or Mbappe (if this is at all realistic?)
It seems highly likely that Moukoko will sign a new contract when he turns 18 (in about two weeks). It's unlikely that he will move oas a free transfer

Mr Smith

Can't see Juve selling, and not likely to be worth what we'd have to pay. There are better players ready for a move that clubs would be more likely to sell.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

Sesko would be the most ideal option for both short and long term IMO. Martial will still be in XI but Sesko will be integrated to the team and will get plenty of minutes due to Martial's injury record.

Longlivekeano

We need a quality 6 mth Henrik Larsson type of loan. Top top level striker with goals, good attitude and able to help groom our younger forwards like Garnacho, McNeill.