The Cliff falling to bits - How Manchester United's talent factory and beating heart became a crumbling, neglected relic

Lightbringer

How could we let this happen? Is there any hope left for The Cliff?

Being from sweden, I am striving to go overseas to Manchester, and The Cliff is on the top of my list to visit.

---
Always, be not always. And if always.
Bow our heads in shame with the Yanks to blame.
The Glazers made promises.
Just death promises.
---
United's former nerve centre has seen barely any investment in 20 years. It has fallen into decay, seen by many as an indictment of the Glazer family.
A promised revamp for the United women's team never came to fruition.

It was once the beating heart of Manchester United. The talent factory where Busby's Babes were moulded, the finishing school from which the Class of '92 graduated with honours.

Like Sir Matt decades earlier, Sir Alex Ferguson used it as a headquarters to mastermind one of English football's greatest eras. It was here where the plot to topple Liverpool from their perch was hatched.

This is the place where George Best fine-tuned his skills and where the historic treble was orchestrated. It was at one time the envy of rivals. It had floodlights before Old Trafford.

The Cliff is Manchester United. It is etched into the club's rich history. Its role, from 1938 to the turn of the century, will never be erased. It is as United as the Holy Trinity, the Stretford End and Duncan Edwards. As 1968 and 1999.

But these days The Cliff is something else.

It is a crumbling, neglected relic. An afterthought. The building where the magic was made, where the post-Munich rebuild was designed and where Ferguson's phone rang off the hook is now surrounded by scaffolding.

Kids from United's younger age groups who still practice there nervously joke about bits of it falling off. A sign warning visitors against entering is stuck above the main entrance. It is dated 2014.

To some, The Cliff is now a stark symbol of the Glazer family's ownership of Manchester United.

'If you want to know about the Glazers and what they feel about the club get yourself to The Cliff,' a contact had told me as we spoke about the ongoing sale process and their hope of a new buyer.

'The place should be a museum, somewhere to be proud of. But it's had hardly any money spent on it in 20 years and it is falling to bits. It's shameful and it shows that the Americans do not care.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...eds-talent-factory-Cliff-crumbling-relic.html

Last edited:

the_cliff

Used to play there as a kid and was my first real connection to this wonderful club.

Also my username....

garelo

we are still using the cliff? i thought it has been abandoned eversince we moved to carrington in early 2000's?

the_cliff

we are still using the cliff? i thought it has been abandoned eversince we moved to carrington in early 2000's?
Not sure about now. But up till 2007 it was still being used for sure.

Lightbringer

The womens team were promised that the The Cliff would be renovated to a state of art facility for the ladies, but a couple of years later nothing had come to fruition and it turned out it was just a lie. It was one of the reason Casey Stoney quit her job as coach for the womens team!

Crimson King

How could we let this happen? Is there any hope left for The Cliff?

Being from sweden, I am striving to go overseas to Manchester, and The Cliff is on the top of my list to visit.

---
Always, be not always. And if always.
Bow our heads in shame with the Yanks to blame.
The Glazers made promises.
Just death promises.
---
United's former nerve centre has seen barely any investment in 20 years. It has fallen into decay, seen by many as an indictment of the Glazer family.
A promised revamp for the United women's team never came to fruition.

This is the place where George Best fine-tuned his skills and where the historic treble was orchestrated. It was at one time the envy of rivals. It had floodlights before Old Trafford.

The Cliff is Manchester United. It is etched into the club's rich history. Its role, from 1938 to the turn of the century, will never be erased. It is as United as the Holy Trinity, the Stretford End and Duncan Edwards. As 1968 and 1999.

But these days The Cliff is something else.

It is a crumbling, neglected relic. An afterthought. The building where the magic was made, where the post-Munich rebuild was designed and where Ferguson's phone rang off the hook is now surrounded by scaffolding.

Kids from United's younger age groups who still practice there nervously joke about bits of it falling off. A sign warning visitors against entering is stuck above the main entrance. It is dated 2014.

To some, The Cliff is now a stark symbol of the Glazer family's ownership of Manchester United.

'If you want to know about the Glazers and what they feel about the club get yourself to The Cliff,' a contact had told me as we spoke about the ongoing sale process and their hope of a new buyer.

'The place should be a museum, somewhere to be proud of. But it's had hardly any money spent on it in 20 years and it is falling to bits. It's shameful and it shows that the Americans do not care.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/f...eds-talent-factory-Cliff-crumbling-relic.html
The Glazers don't care because it would cost them money without any obvious return.

It's just Glazernomics.

Wezzaldo

They’re letting the ground and Carrington rot, why should this surprise anyone.

Marwood

I'm there quite a bit.

Local schools use it for comps. The foundation use it.

It's not falling to bits. They've purposely kept the older building, the old stand and dugout as a sort of museum piece. None of that is meant to be functional. Would you like them to knock it down or renovate it and lose the history?

The "newer" building is just fine. The pitch is always immaculate as well.

Lightbringer

Casey Stoney shocked her players on Wednesday by announcing she was stepping down as manager of Manchester United Women. The former England international had tried to quit weeks ago and the club repeatedly attempted to persuade her to continue.

At Carrington the squad have had to fit around the men’s schedule, which was one of the reasons Stoney decided against running the team from there when she took charge in 2018. It is not clear where training will be held next season.
United had said in 2018 that they would improve facilities for the women’s team at The Cliff, the former men’s team training ground, but that has not happened.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ey-resigns-as-manchester-united-women-manager

Lightbringer

It's not falling to bits. They've purposely kept the older building, the old stand and dugout as a sort of museum piece. None of that is meant to be functional. Would you like them to knock it down or renovate it and lose the history?

You are saying these the quotes from multiple people are fake or incorrect?

"A peek through the window shows it is not much better on the inside. Where Paul Scholes, Nicky Butt and Gary Neville would once sit down to lunch in a boisterous canteen now looks like the set of a zombie movie.

The corridors walked by greats lie empty. A single, faded picture of Old Trafford remains. The reception area is deserted, bar a sorry-looking red mop propped against the wall.

'It's utterly heartbreaking,' said another insider who did not wish to be named for fear of recriminations.

'You read about Old Trafford and all the money that needs to be spent on it, the roof leaking – the real neglect is at The Cliff. This place should be sparkling, looked after forever. It's not had any investment in years.'

'You wonder what parents think when they turn up here with their kids for training,' the insider added. 'A lot of them could be at City where it's all gleaming and new – but they're here in this dump. It's not what it should be for a club like Manchester United.'"

Last edited:

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout
Bit of a non-story as Carrington replaced The Cliff literally decades ago

But it would be good if it was redeveloped for the Women's team

Lightbringer

Bit of a non-story as Carrington replaced The Cliff literally decades ago

But it would be good if it was redeveloped for the Women's team
The womens team at The Cliff is dead as the womens team just moved into their newly built crib at Carrington :-) (The crib is not completely finished yet, but most of it are)

Marwood

You are saying these the quotes from multiple people are fake or incorrect?

"A peek through the window shows it is not much better on the inside. Where Paul Scholes, Nicky Butt and Gary Neville would once sit down to lunch in a boisterous canteen now looks like the set of a zombie movie.

The corridors walked by greats lie empty. A single, faded picture of Old Trafford remains. The reception area is deserted, bar a sorry-looking red mop propped against the wall.

'It's utterly heartbreaking,' said another insider who did not wish to be named for fear of recriminations.

'You read about Old Trafford and all the money that needs to be spent on it, the roof leaking – the real neglect is at The Cliff. This place should be sparkling, looked after forever. It's not had any investment in years.'

'You wonder what parents think when they turn up here with their kids for training,' the insider added. 'A lot of them could be at City where it's all gleaming and new – but they're here in this dump. It's not what it should be for a club like Manchester United.'"
Have you been to The Cliff?

You know there are two separate buildings right?

One that's used and is perfectyl modern and fine. The other that isn't.

Edit: just read your initial post and you haven't been. Believe me this isn't an accurate description of the place. The old building is there as a museum piece more than anything.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
The womens team were promised that the The Cliff would be renovated to a state of art facility for the ladies, but a couple of years later nothing had come to fruition and it turned out it was just a lie. It was one of the reason Casey Stoney quit her job as coach for the womens team!
Wow. Considering how long it took the club to re-form the women's team it shouldn't really surprise me.

Lightbringer

Have you been to The Cliff?

You know there are two separate buildings right?

One that's used. The other that isn't.
No as you can see from my first post I am in sweden.

But I just cant understand why the article would cite 3 different sources who complained about the state of the Cliff if it was a non issue.

But perhaps all those 3 sources and the article thinks the old building should be renovated over "keeping" history?

Its somewhat confusing.

tomaldinho1

I'm there quite a bit.

I saw the source for the article and then looked for someone who’d been there. Our fans are too gullible.

Lightbringer

I saw the source for the article and then looked for someone who’d been there. Our fans are too gullible.
Alright, so you are saying the paper has made up the multiple quotes from people complaining about the state of the Cliff?

Marwood

But I just cant understand why the article would cite 3 different sources who complained about the state of the Cliff if it was a non issue.

But perhaps all those 3 sources and the article thinks the old building should be renovated over "keeping" history?

Its somewhat confusing.
I don't even think the youth teams use the place. It's mainly for community work I think. Local primary schools use it etc.

The main building is absolutely fine. As is the outside pitch.

But the place is well worth a visit if you have chance. Steeped in history.

Marwood

Alright, so you are saying the paper has made up the multiple quotes from people complaining about the state of the Cliff?
Well does the article mention anywhere that there's a whole other building that's perfectly modern and actually in use?

Do you not find it strange it doesn't?

tomaldinho1

Did you see which paper was quoted? It's always a real badge of authenticity when a source who is talking about something completely normal and uncontroversial 'did not wish to be named for fear of recriminations.' I have no doubt the canteen where the class of 92 used to eat looks ancient now, it bloody is.

Marwood has explained to you there are two buildings, one which is extremely old and a modern one. If the article was actually about the women's team not getting the investment they were promised it might be true but it wouldn't cause many ripples sadly, if you add in some barely hidden Glazer criticism you get a lot more traction.

Fts 74

My Grandsons play there with school, it looks exactly the same as it did when I used to go to catch a glimpse of the players and try and get autographs. I always wanted to play on the immaculate pitch.

I'll never forget one time I was there and I asked Sir Alex for his autograph "why you not in school?" "Teacher training day " I replied "Teacher training day eh? What's all that about!" He shook his head signed my piece of paper and got in his car.

I still live about a mile away from there, it's a piece of history.

Rood

nostradamus like gloater
Scout

Its somewhat confusing.
You need to learn which UK papers are full of shit and the Daily Fail is high on the list!

Still we know that our infrastructure needs investment but it's Old Trafford and Carrington that's important, The Cliff is just history and mostly a gift to the local community for grassroots football nowadays

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
My Grandsons play there with school, it looks exactly the same as it did when I used to go to catch a glimpse of the players and try and get autographs. I always wanted to play on the immaculate pitch.

I'll never forget one time I was there and I asked Sir Alex for his autograph "why you not in school?" "Teacher training day " I replied "Teacher training day eh? What's all that about!" He shook his head signed my piece of paper and got in his car.

I still live about a mile away from there, it's a piece of history.
I've got fond memories of the Cliff from the 70s. Lots of autographs including George Best and all that gang. It was at a time when you could still watch the training provided you kept a respectful distance from the pitch and the players (until they were on their way back to their cars after training!)

I remember the inside of the old building as well as I knew someone who worked there. Sad that it's crumbling but inevitable - it would be a major refurb to get it operational but then it wouldn't have any of the history except the name.

jojojo

JoJoJoJoJoJoJo
Staff
Welcome to Manchester reception committee
Did you see which paper was quoted? It's always a real badge of authenticity when a source who is talking about something completely normal and uncontroversial 'did not wish to be named for fear of recriminations.' I have no doubt the canteen where the class of 92 used to eat looks ancient now, it bloody is.

Marwood has explained to you there are two buildings, one which is extremely old and a modern one. If the article was actually about the women's team not getting the investment they were promised it might be true but it wouldn't cause many ripples sadly, if you add in some barely hidden Glazer criticism you get a lot more traction.
I'm a bit sad that they didn't follow through on that refurb for the women's team and I imagine Casey Stoney got fed up of hearing about plans and promises.

In the end though - for the women's team - Carrington will be a better location. It's taken United 5 years to get there but it looks like their new training centre will be ready this month. They're finally about to leave the borrowed dressing rooms at LSV, portakabins at Carrington, gym in a marquee phase of their development.

Fts 74

I've got fond memories of the Cliff from the 70s. Lots of autographs including George Best and all that gang. It was at a time when you could still watch the training provided you kept a respectful distance from the pitch and the players (until they were on their way back to their cars after training!)

I remember the inside of the old building as well as I knew someone who worked there. Sad that it's crumbling but inevitable - it would be a major refurb to get it operational but then it wouldn't have any of the history except the name.
It Was still like that when I went in the 80s never got inside the building though.

A guy I used to know lived on one of the streets opposite they used to have the local residents meetings in the cliff, he told me his mum used to go to them and Sir Alex would make the tea!

buchansleftleg

I used to go and watch the team training there when I used to do shiftwork and had the occasional day off in the week.

I've no problem with them building facilities at Carrington, but I miss that the Cliff was in the heart of the local community. It said something Manchester, it's people and culture.

It shouldn't be a dusty relic. The Glazers are just scumbags. I pray for the day when every trace of Malcolm's spawn is ripped out of the club and we can invest in what matters.