The Criteria Draft - Preliminary Discussion

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
Good evening everyone!

The idea behind this draft is that it is a simple snake draft with a few modifications. The key is to draft a squad of 12 players, and in total there are 12 criterion. One member of your squad can only qualify against one criteria (even if they meet more than one). When a player is drafted, you must list ALL of the criteria they meet. You do NOT need to specify which category you are drafting for. However when the draft is over, you must demonstrate your 12 squad members meet all 12 criterion separately and, when your match day arrives, the 11 players selected must meet 11 separate criterion.

Before we begin, there are a number of action points:

1) Register your interest in participating

2) contribute on the match day discussion and how to make it better for the managers and the general redcafe poster in the following thread:

https://www.redcafe.net/threads/ide...aying-out-matches.393557/page-2#post-16084991

3) contribute to a discussion on selecting the 12 criterion in THIS thread.

4) contribute on whether we should include additional features such as a TP system or a transfer system and how we can effectively apply them to this draft in THIS thread. If we go ahead with TP, we need to agree on total, value for players, etc.

5) Contribute to what DOB we should set as the earliest.

For those of you who don't know, a TP system is where you have a limit of, for example, 12 points, and the best players could towards them. Strikers who are world beaters count for more TP points than a world beating defender for example, to balance the greater attention to strikers in a draft. The TP system would also limit the number of GOATs you can have.

I am also looking for a co host to assist me :).

Last edited:

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Firstly, I formally register my interest in participating.

Secondly, I'd like to put forth a general idea: I'd love to see at least a couple of criteria which it will be hard to meet by picking brilliant/world class/top of the line players. In other words, I'd like to see criteria which will make it all but inevitable that some true water carriers are incorporated in the managers' teams.

What these could be? Absence of trophies? "You must pick a player who has never won a domestic league title in Spain, England, Italy or Germany." For example.

RoadTrip

Secondly, I'd like to put forth a general idea: I'd love to see at least a couple of criteria which it will be hard to meet by picking brilliant/world class/top of the line players. In other words, I'd like to see criteria which will make it all but inevitable that some true water carriers are incorporated in the managers' teams.

What these could be? Absence of trophies? "You must pick a player who has never won a domestic league title in Spain, England, Italy or Germany." For example.
I completely agree - I love that idea. However, it would be easy to find old timers who drifted to strange places in the world who won a league. Or even in Europe.

Maybe a player who hasn't won a single trophy in his career? I'm sure there are class players who didn't win anything, but you'd need to research hard to find them.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I completely agree - I love that idea. However, it would be easy to find old timers who drifted to strange places in the world who won a league. Or even in Europe.

Maybe a player who hasn't won a single trophy in his career? I'm sure there are class players who didn't win anything, but you'd need to research hard to find them.
Yes! I like that.

Note: If the pool is limited to more or less modern players, it would probably be enough to limit it to no trophies in the major (present day) leagues.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

It's a bit like Aldo's sheep draft whereby the most challenging criteria would force the selection of average Joes. A TP system could be made redundant in that case on the proviso that it was backed up by limited rather than extended reinforcing in the following rounds.

RoadTrip

It's a bit like Aldo's sheep draft whereby the most challenging criteria would force the selection of average Joes. A TP system could be made redundant in that case on the proviso that it was backed up by limited rather than extended reinforcing in the following rounds.
What if we scrapped reinforcements altogether? It makes the initial draft THE key. Alternatively, one player per reinforcement round. We could even have each manager who is knocked out nominate two people on their team they ban from being redrafted. Or something of that sort.

RoadTrip

My initial thoughts:

- No need for a TP system. Complicated and would add another layer of things to agree on. Also Gio's point is valid.

- One reinforcement per round. No restrictions, just one player. Effectively means you won't get a GOAT team at the end, and the criteria itself should limit selecting the best players by creating a situation where you would only really be upgrading a world class signing for another.

- Transfers can happen at any time during the draft. None after the first draft is over. The fact you can only swap players will limit this activity anyway, and the criteria would make it hard to reach agreements. This way we won't go OTT and there aren't exactly fees to cause people to get upset.

Ultimately I'm happy to have features like these however I want the focus to be on the 12 criteria. Which is really the key element of this discussion

FromTheBench

Hmm interesting concept. Count me In.

As for criterias from a Sheep draft in another forum here are some which can maybe be used here and some i came up with -

Select a player who won a total number of international caps of at least 90 but no more than 99.

Select a player who as managed a club he played for at some point in his career.
The player must have made at least one league appearance to be eligible.

Select a player who has played a match at the World Cup in the 1950s.

Select a player who has played a match at the World Cup in the 21st century.

Select two players who have a combined number of full international caps of 35 or fewer. (Combining 2 rounds into one.)

Select a player who has won a CL medal at two different clubs. At least one of the medals should have been won during the rebranded Champions League era.

Select a player who has played league football at the highest level (top flight or division) in 3 or more countries.

Select player A and player B who were born in the same calendar year. Players A and B must have been together at the same club at least at some point in their careers.

Select a player who made his top flight league debut before his 17t/18th birthday. Top flight is the highest tier/division in professional league football in any country.

NM

IN!! @rpitroda do you have a co-host yet? If not playing, I can maybe do that. My hours at work are all over the place right now. Might work at night etc.

RoadTrip

As for criterias from a Sheep draft in another forum here are some which can maybe be used here and some i came up with -

Select a player who won a total number of international caps of at least 90 but no more than 99.

Select a player who as managed a club he played for at some point in his career.

Select two players who have a combined number of full international caps of 35 or fewer. (Combining 2 rounds into one.)

Select a player who has won a CL medal at two different clubs. At least one of the medals should have been won during the rebranded Champions League era.

Select a player who has played league football at the highest level (top flight or division) in 3 or more countries.

Select player A and player B who were born in the same calendar year. Players A and B must have been together at the same club at least at some point in their careers.

Select a player who made his top flight league debut before his 17t/18th birthday. Top flight is the highest tier/division in professional league football in any country.
Mate, some of those if not all are EPIC.

RoadTrip

IN!! @rpitroda do you have a co-host yet? If not playing, I can maybe do that. My hours at work are all over the place right now. Might work at night etc.
Currently no co host! - just to be clear is it a choice between playing or hosting for you? If so, pick whatever you fancy! Both is also most welcome!

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
And Sammer's Hammer - but he changed his name, can't remember what his new moniker is.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd

Brilliant.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Yep. But. For my money we should still consider slapping a ban on the most usual of the usual suspects. Just for good measure, like.

No TP system - but no Edson and no Armando, etc.

Kazi

Not sure if I want to play yet, but if you're on 14/15 players and struggling to find another, I'll happily make up the numbers. Agree that a TP system is not necessary for a snake draft.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
Yep. But. For my money we should still consider slapping a ban on the most usual of the usual suspects. Just for good measure, like.

No TP system - but no Edson and no Armando, etc.
Yeah sure, I suppose it depends on your theme/pool. I quite like Polaroid's 1960's draft of players born after Maradona in October 1960 for example.

Moby

Dick
What if we scrapped reinforcements altogether? It makes the initial draft THE key. Alternatively, one player per reinforcement round. We could even have each manager who is knocked out nominate two people on their team they ban from being redrafted. Or something of that sort.
I think this was discussed after the WC all time one where the reinforcements were a bit too much and the favoured outcome was having limited reinforcements. I'll be with that as well, I agree completely that the initial draft should be the key but at the same time, without any reinforcements the future rounds would not have as much activity, interest and discussions since we'll be discussing the same teams we have in the previous games, same tactics, same everything. 1 or 2 reinforcements per round keep things fresh and interesting for every round while not losing the core of the team that was formed in the initial draft.

Plus it's not a worry in this draft as I assume the 12 criteria must be respected till the final? In that case, given that you will have at least 2-3 very strict criteria there won't be any superteams, which is what are the problem massive reinforcements create. But as far as I am concerned I wouldn't suggest getting rid of reinforcements completely as imo they are essential in keeping the draft alive till the end.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
I think this was discussed after the WC all time one where the reinforcements were a bit too much and the favoured outcome was having limited reinforcements. I'll be with that as well, I agree completely that the initial draft should be the key but at the same time, without any reinforcements the future rounds would not have as much activity, interest and discussions since we'll be discussing the same teams we have in the previous games, same tactics, same everything. 1 or 2 reinforcements per round keep things fresh and interesting for every round while not losing the core of the team that was formed in the initial draft.

Plus it's not a worry in this draft as I assume the 12 criteria must be respected till the final? In that case, given that you will have at least 2-3 very strict criteria there won't be any superteams, which is what are the problem massive reinforcements create. But as far as I am concerned I wouldn't suggest getting rid of reinforcements completely as imo they are essential in keeping the draft alive till the end.
Yeah, I think reinforcements are necessary to keep it fresh. But it's possible to operate with restrictions on these - for instance the top players who get eliminated may not be eligible, so that rather than replacing your very good striker with an all time great striker, you're limited to replacing your good DM with a very good DM. Er, if that makes sense.

Moby

Dick
Yeah, I think reinforcements are necessary to keep it fresh. But it's possible to operate with restrictions on these - for instance the top players who get eliminated may not be eligible, so that rather than replacing your very good striker with an all time great striker, you're limited to replacing your good DM with a very good DM. Er, if that makes sense.
Indeed, the attacking reinforcements create a bit of unbalance. We reach stages, often where people put their hands up and say how do you stop an attack that's filled with all timers in every position. The problem is a lot less with midfielders and defenders. I am not sure how to implement something like that though. We also don't want to force everything upon the managers, and so it's a little delicate to keep it in the middle.