The Daredevil Draft R1 | Zlatan 7 vs. Gio

With all players at their peak, which team do you think would win this game?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
Zlatan 7.......................................................................................................................................Gio
..........VS............

Team Zlatan 7

I was pretty torn choosing a formation as I love playing with out and out wingers and getting overmars late on tempted me to use him but didn’t want to leave the midfield too short so gone with a midfield 3, scholes staying more forward, Redondo more back and for and Guardiola sitting deeper hopefully controlling possession of the game and atleast another body being in the way of Maradona not giving him so much space there.
Two attacking fullbacks will help to provide width and get crosses into the box looking for Van Basten. Ribery keeping width on the right, Del Piero allowed more in field to play closer to van Basten.

Two solid centrebacks in Cannavaro and Lucio both able to match or beat Batistuta in the air and neither would be bullied by him, infact I love lucio and Cannavaro here to deal with Maradona too, Lucius no nonsense one on one tackling, Cannavaro reading the space and covering, sounds good.
And if somehow Maradona does wiggle around everyone else, he’s met his match with Big Nev, sliding out feet first to gather the ball from Maradonas toes, I can see it now.

All the best gio

Team Gio

The Argentinian front three is centred on the creative hub Diego Maradona, flanked by the energetic Mario Kempes and topped off by the no-nonsense markmanship of Gabriel Batistuta. With Allan Simonsen starting off the right flank, where he'll use his similarly energetic and busy style to press, combine and take on opposition players 1v1, there's a healthy mixture of threats and styles within the attacking unit.

The best in the business Giacinto Facchetti mans the left flank, supporting Kempes in attack and combining with Paul Breitner inside him in midfield. The central midfield partnership of Breitner and Nestor Goncalves is a rock solid platform that should stifle the opposition's creativity. Goncalves will hold as he did so persuasively for Penarol, while Breitner will have more license to push on to create and provide goal threat against the opposition midfielders. Ahead of him Maradona will enjoy a similar remit to break on from midfield and beyond.

In defence Oscar Ruggeri sits inside Facchetti, offering welcome physical presence up against Van Basten, while Laurent Blanc oozes class covering both him and Tarcisio Burgnich who assumes his favoured tucked-in right-back role to square up to Del Piero. Lev Yashin is as good as it gets in installing calm and confidence around him.

Good luck @Zlatan 7 @Gio! :)

Himannv

@Zlatan 7 gets points for finally picking Neville Southall in a draft and not getting laughed at. It's a pity I don't like that midfield due to the lack of a more physical presence in there.

I had Gio's team at number 1 in the seedings and I think his side will beat most teams. I think the tucked in RB works with Del Piero playing on that flank, but I dislike that role without a Jair or a Conti kind of player to balance it out.

GodShaveTheQueen

We mean it man, we love our queen!
Maradona, Kempes, Batistuta - bastard stole my dream Diego team I was planning to build if I ever got to pick Diego.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@Zlatan 7 Can you explain how your midfield 3 will work?

@Gio Simonsen doesn't seem the smoothest option for your setup here. Can you explain the thinking?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

@Gio Simonsen doesn't seem the smoothest option for your setup here. Can you explain the thinking?
Wanted somebody who could offer
  • energy and work rate - impressed with Simo’s work up and down the flank in Joga’s match compilations
  • sharp change of pace and 1v1 ability - essential attribute in a wider role so you can stretch the game
  • combination play - there were other players in that position who could dribble fantastically well, but few who were genuine team players with good decision making and the ability to release the ball early when needed.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
If Zlatan did have someone to shut down Diego a bit considering I don't think Batistuta will have many crosses to feed from and Gio's CB's are suspectible against agile and quick forwards he would maybe have a chance. Oh, and if he didn't put Guardiola, Scholes, Redondo midfield... That is just a bit weird. I suspect it is Scholes in a more forward role, but still... So, quite many ifs in that team.

Gio is is building a fantastic team, but if you ever wanted to go against him, it would be this, round 1 most likely. This is also one of the reasons I don't like seeding teams rule.

Theon

Lord of the Iron Islands
All it is is a wide player playing in front of a defensive right back. Had similar debates in the last draft and I don’t think the role is particularly tactically difficult. You could set that up as a 4-2-3-1 and it would operate in a similar way.

When @Joga Bonito and I used a similar set up last time we took Habler and Beckham (both marginally cleaner fits tactically imo, but Simonsen with the edge on the former on quality). All three offer strong work rate and are comfortable in wide areas which are the mandatory things you’re looking for.

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
All it is is a wide player playing in front of a defensive right back. Had similar debates in the last draft and I don’t think the role is particularly tactically difficult. You could set that up as a 4-2-3-1 and it would operate in a similar way.

When @Joga Bonito and I used a similar set up last time we took Habler and Beckham (both marginally cleaner fits tactically imo, but Simonsen with the edge on the former on quality). All three offer strong work rate and are comfortable in wide areas which are the mandatory things you’re looking for.
I need to watch more of Simonsen and will check out Joga's vids however my impression is that he is more of a wide forward and would be suited to having much more support from his full-back than Burgnich will provide. So even if it was visualised as a 4231, it would still be an issue. This does though all depend on exactly what Simonsen brings to the table.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

It is a strange 3, I had a slight panic at the end when facing gio :lol:
I just didn’t want redondo to be stuck in a defensive mid position but to have more license to go forward, and knew scholes couldn’t Cover that as he’d be too far forward do so, so ended thinking maybe Guardiola could.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I like Zlatan:

- Very nice and world-class offensive trio.
- Seducing central midfield
- Del Piero didn't play a lot in a wide role but at his prime he would do it obviously as you could see above
- Fachetti and Burgnish would struggle against mini tini players such as Ribery and Del Piero

However, as I try to take a decision despite always having mixed feelings, opted for Gio because:
- He has more scorers
- Guardiola in terms of style of play (not very agile and aggressive) would have a very limited impact on Maradona
- Scholes, Redondo and Scholes are relatively similar

The scoreline means nothing

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Thanks for the comments. I think the weakest link is Guardiola and maybe should have gone for more of a tough tackling dm.

probably my last draft, feck these beatings :lol:
All the best going forward gio

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Thanks for the comments. I think the weakest link is Guardiola and maybe should have gone for more of a tough tackling dm.

If you build a team you really like and makes sense, just go on and forget the outcomes.

Now, voters are predictable so if you really want to win a draft, then research all the finals, and you will see the same type of tactics/players, then replicate and you will win some games

Again, if you like the way you have built and engineered the team, forget the score

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
@Zlatan 7

In your team, the only player who regularly reached a final of a draft is very probably Van Basten.

On the other hand, Maradona, Breitner and Fachetti regularly reach the final I believe.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Diversity is key. A bad boy in charge of a football legend like Maradona is a necessary evil.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
If you build a team you really like and makes sense, just go on and forget the outcomes.

Now, voters are predictable so if you really want to win a draft, then research all the finals, and you will see the same type of tactics/players, then replicate and you will win some games

Again, if you like the way you have built and engineered the team, forget the score
I see what you’re saying and don’t really care about winning a draft tbh, I like building the teams. It just gets a bit boring when if you don’t pick the accepted players nothing else matters Metallica yeahhh

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I see what you’re saying and don’t really care about winning a draft tbh, I like building the teams. It just gets a bit boring when if you don’t pick the accepted players nothing else matters Metallica yeahhh
Ahahah Good man

Himannv

Ah don't feel that way. I think Gio's team is possibly the best in Round 1 so it's a tough draw for you. Just ride the lightning for a while and eventually you'll get where you want to with match results as well.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Ahahah Good man
Haha :)

and your following posts just confirmed my thoughts, you have to pick players who have played in finals and are accepted vote winners. I suppose they’re in the final for a reason but it gets less about building teams and more just getting best players.
most voters don’t even comment , 16 votes, how many seen Maradona and a few other big names and just thought yep.

anyway, enough of me crying

Physiocrat

Has No Mates
@Zlatan 7 It can get a bit of best players beats best teams on occasions but I would hang around for drafts with a more of a restricted pool as there is less consensus on who is the best and it becomes more about the side as a whole.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Haha :)

and your following posts just confirmed my thoughts, you have to pick players who have played in finals and are accepted vote winners. I suppose they’re in the final for a reason but it gets less about building teams and more just getting best players.
most voters don’t even comment , 16 votes, how many seen Maradona and a few other big names and just thought yep.

anyway, enough of me crying
To be fair it's not like your presentation doesn't matter. When you'll look at the finals that took place 2, 4 or 8 years ago, you'll see how different some players were rated before. There were some inspirational posts, presentations and even whole promotional (or defamatory) campaigns that significantly shifted players perception.

Can you imagine seeing John Charles as a CB in an all-time draft final now, for example?

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers

Cheers. I wouldn't pay much heed to the scoreline, having received a few pummelings over the years when the quality has been similar but voters have relentlessly honed in on a single player mismatch or a tactical issue.

Personally like your midfield on the ball and credit for going balls-deep into a proper 4-3-3. Was really impressed with Redondo's all-round game going on Joga's compilations recently. And looking at all the teams in the first round, your transitions of the ball between defence, midfield and attack are probably the cleanest, which is tricky in a sheep-style draft to secure that cohesion. And the Del Piero/Van Basten partnership is Serie A gold and I like the Lucio/Cannavaro pairing, two proper all-round defenders who fit the team well.

Although we are quite predictable in here, I wouldn't entirely agree with this point as, for example, GSTQ just won the last draft with a WM, which was creative and new compared to the 4-2-3-1 that reigned supreme for a fair while.
To be fair it's not like your presentation doesn't matter. When you'll look at the finals that took place 2, 4 or 8 years ago, you'll see how different some players were rated before. There were some inspirational posts, presentations and even whole promotional (or defamatory) campaigns that significantly shifted players perception.

Can you imagine seeing John Charles as a CB in an all-time draft final now, for example?
True. Cutch had Hierro and Charles and both looked at home in that company, at the time.

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!

I just don’t think I have the words to sway those opinions, no doubt it has been done in the past though :)

Zlatan 7

We've got bush!
Cheers. I wouldn't pay much heed to the scoreline, having received a few pummelings over the years when the quality has been similar but voters have relentlessly honed in on a single player mismatch or a tactical issue.

Personally like your midfield on the ball and credit for going balls-deep into a proper 4-3-3. Was really impressed with Redondo's all-round game going on Joga's compilations recently. And looking at all the teams in the first round, your transitions of the ball between defence, midfield and attack are probably the cleanest, which is tricky in a sheep-style draft to secure that cohesion. And the Del Piero/Van Basten partnership is Serie A gold and I like the Lucio/Cannavaro pairing, two proper all-round defenders who fit the team well.

Although we are quite predictable in here, I wouldn't entirely agree with this point as, for example, GSTQ just won the last draft with a WM, which was creative and new compared to the 4-2-3-1 that reigned supreme for a fair while.

True. Cutch had Hierro and Charles and both looked at home in that company, at the time.
Thanks mate, I was just throwing toys everywhere earlier and never expected to win the match, I suppose in my head I like the idea of putting these players together but struggle to present why.

On a side note, I like our kit colours, kind of 90’s Italy match up, would make for pleasant viewing