The difference between a CDM/holding midfield and RCM&LCM in a 3 men midfield?And players recommendations

LuckyScout78

Today i will write about the different between a CDM/holding midfield and RCM&LCM in a 3 men midfield. In a 433 or 4312 formation. Only a 3 men midfield. Not writing about the difference of the 2CM duo in a 442 or 4411 formation.
And special i use to recommend players to top clubs in Europe. The holding cm i am focus on. Is more of a deep laying cm playmaker. More dictating and spreading the pass around. Instead of CDM that is more a destroyer and stopping of opponent attack. Of course the deep laying playmaker shall have ability to tackle and defensive ability too. But he gets to be good enough with the ball. Under high and aggresive pressure from the opposite team. So this article is what i am gonna focus on.
The difference between CDM and LCM&RCM and which players out there belong most to those 2 category.
Because i have heard Erik Ten Hag is talking about gettin the right players. Of course some players out there can play both roles. But some players are more specific. So from mine observing of them. I will put them in those 2 cm category. In 433 formation.

Let us start with the DCM, in a top team in premier and Europe. The holding cm midfield or the balanace cm player. Who is laying deep, dictate and spread the ball around. And instead of describing by words. I think there exist some visual example which describe the holding midfield better.

I will use a video of Rodri for City:

We can see he doesn't make fast long run forward. He play more deeper than Kevin De Bruyne who is a RCM. Rodri keep it simple. Spread and pass the ball to De Bruyne, to left winger and forward. But if the time is right he will make run forward and is capable of scoring goals too. But not so often as other 5 attacking players.

Another good example is Barcelona's Busquets.

Like this: Gavi/ De Jong - Busquets - Pedri/De Jong

Other players out there that is more and can play as DCM are :

+ Manuel Locatelli from Juventus: MV : 35 mill euro. 08.Jan.1998.
Locatelli can play both roles and positions. He is more of and allround cm player. Since he has the defensive and tackling ability in his game. I put him here.

+ Declan Rice for West Ham. MV = 80 mill euros. 14.Jan.1999
In early day he did play some games as CB. And i think and believe he has discipline to hold it back a bit.

+ Ruben Neves for Wolves. MV. 40 mill euros. 13.Mars.1997
Neves doesn't has the top speed and flair to play as RCM or LCM. RCM run a lot and easily pass players. Ruben strongest ability to dictate and spread the ball and pass around.

+ And Frenkie De Jong who can play both DCM and RCM&LCM. But if i am coaching Frenkie De Jong i will play him in the LCM and Iniesta role. Which we will come back later.

Now we head to the RCM and LCM. I did wrote a post specific on those two positions. " How to get the most out of 433 and total football post. Here i will give and write a short description.
They are not wingers. But they are really good and pass opponent players really easily. They are runners and is more offensive and attacking players. They have a more attacking mindset, than defensive. Quick, high skills and flair. Make them pass players easily.

Top LCM and RCM in football history. Iniesta and Kevin De Druyne who is playing RCM for City right now. Like this:

Kevin De Bruyne - Rice/Locatelli - Iniesta

That is the top level. Right now there are some players who are really good and have a really high level in this role. But they are not there yet. They have huge potential. But the conistent level as LCM and RCM they are not there yet. Let us start first with the Barcelona wonderkid. Pedri.

+ Pedri. Barcelona. Most play as LCM for Barca. MV = 80 mill euros. 25.Nov.2002

https://www.transfermarkt.com/pedri/profil/spieler/683840

The market value of players are from transfermarkt

+ Kenneth Taylor. Ajax. LCM & RCM. MV 4.50 Euros. 16

+ Jude Bellingham. Dortmund. LCM & RCM. MV. 80 mill Euros. 29.06.2003

+ Nicolo Barella. Inter and Itay. RCM & LCM. MV. 70 mill Euros. 07.02.1997

+ Youri Tielemans. Leicester City and Belgium. RCM & LCM. MV . 55 mill euros. 07.05.1997

+ James Maddison. Leicester City. ACM, RCM & LCM. MV: 50 mill euros. 23.11.1996

There we have. I put players in 2 category and those 2 cm positions. CDM and RCM & LCM

And how do i rate them. Like i said. Some of them are not as good and consistent as Iniesta or Kevin De Bruyne. The world class level in the past. But in the current market and football level right now. They are top level of DCM and RCM & LCM out there.
And top quality and players do cost a lot.

+ Rating:

- First DCM role.
Declan Rice has been consistent more than last two year. Both for England and West Ham. So the reason why i think his market value due to transfermarkt is at 80 mill euros. Compare to Manuel Locatelli and Ruben Neves. Special Locatelli who is more unknown than Rice.
At this moment i will rate this. It can and will change. The form of the players. Like this:

Rice = Locatelli > Neves.
Both of Rice and Locatelli has more speed/pace in them than Neves. More mobile and cover more area. Its the drive and engine of those two players compare to Neves. Even Neves is a really good player too. But both Rice and Locatelli has a bit more in theirs game.

- LCM position:
Pedri is no doubt the top level in that LCM role. I think Pedri in that role, LCM is as good as Frenkie De Jong. And of course Barcelona will not sell Pedri. But i want to mention Pedri because he has the top level of a LCM. To have somebody to compare to others LCM options:

Pedri = De Jong = Bellingham > Kenneth Taylor.
Kenneth Taylor got just few last games for Ajax in last season. But Taylor has huge potential. Its his overall football skills and vision. The allround ability as a offensive, creative and attacking players. Kenneth Taylor MV will rise a lot in the next two years. He will play more regular for Ajax in the next two years. In champion league for Ajax. Get more known and his market value will rise. KT hasn't got a full season for Ajax yet. Why is market value is only at 4.5 mill euros. But the qualities and talent is there.

- RCM : Of Barella from Inter, Tielemans and Maddison. As a RCM player. Barella is on top level in football world right now. Not top level compare to the past. And has a more consistent top level than Tielemans and Maddison. Like this:

Barella > Tielemans = Maddison

+ So now. Where do we put them in a 433 formation and total football? :

Barella/Tielemans/Maddison/Bellingham = RCM + De Jong/Rice/Locatelli/Neves = CDM + Bellingham/Pedri/Taylor = LCM

There you have.

+ Sum up and conclusion:
Those the top level at the current level in football and transfer market. All from very good to the top level. But like i said above. Top level at right now. In the football world right now. Not compare to the top level in the past and footballl history. Like example. De Jong and Pedri are top level of LCM right now. At the consistent top level. But if we compare both of them to the Barca and football legend Iniesta. Both of them are not at that level yet. But the top level of LCM in football right now has fall. And lower than before. But still top level at this moment and right now in football world.

And i drop to mention top players from others top clubs in Europe. Like Bayern, Real Madrid or Liverpool.

Players from Inter, Dortmund and Juventus. I still others top clubs are realistic and get players from those clubs. And special for a top club like United. If United and Ten Hag want "right" and specific players for the DCM and LCM & RCM.

Those players mentioned above will strenght and lift United. But like i said. Top quality players like Barella as RCM, Rice for DCM and Bellingham. MV at 70 for Barella, 80 for Bellingham and 80 for Rice. Qualities does cost money. Those are top level from realistic clubs and target.
I am not sure where Erik Ten Hag think and plan to use Frenkie De Jong. As DCM or LCM?
But there you have. The alternative options for Frenkie De Jong as DCM and Frenkie De Jong as LCM are more attacking and offensive player to help the attack.
And like i said. Some of them can play both CDM and RCM & LCM. Some are more specific and better in other position.

So if Erik Ten Hag and United or others top clubs playing 433 or 4312 formation. Looking to strenght the midfield positions. Top achieve theirs ambition like top 4 or biggest trophies. Those players are mine recommendations ;)

Hammondo

" Let us start with the DCM, in a top team in premier and Europe. The holding cm midfield or the balanace cm player. Who is laying deep, dictate and spread the ball around. "

Examples: Rodri, Busquets, Locatelli, Rice, De Jong, and neves.

Very difficult to take you seriously when you write stuff like this.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Who’s the mastermind behind this account

Water Melon

Top level right now, as was said top level right now, not ever. Right now the level has fallen. So again, the level of players right now shall not be compared to the players of the past.

Skills

Snitch
It's also worth noting, the role of the holding midfielder in each team may change when you're in or out of possession.

If you look at Man City or Liverpool, Bernardo or Thiago will often go and get the ball deep to transition it forward. They're far more press resistant than Rodri or Fabinho respectively - especially against the best teams, so they can play through the press.

The biggest issue we've got is, in possession. We don't need a DM as such - because I think out of possession we can solve the issues we've got with better organisation. We need someone to help move the ball from the CBs to our forwards, along the ground and without losing it. Fred and McTominay can't do that even though Fred is quite good at winning the ball back.