The disrespect for Andy Cole

RUCK4444

Indeed, I wouldn't disagree. I don't think there can be any argument that he is underrated considering his overall numbers, the treble season and the Newcastle season. I do think there is probably a bit more of an argument to be had when comparing him to other PL strikers and where he'd be on the list though. Top 10 should be a certainty but then it gets down to more opinion based reasoning, what people prefer in a striker etc.
Yeah I agree as time goes by players like Aguero creeping into the list and going to be hard for him to maintain that third spot but still...

I still think players like Aguero are getting an easier ride with the level of centre back they play against most games. Makes the old boys on the list more impressive again for me.

I think Henry scored 49 goals at Barca after he left the PL. Wonder what that number would have been if he remained at Arsenal - safe to say a little lower than 49? The Barca side we’re a better side than Arsenal when he left.

yan man utd

GamesGoalsAssistsNon Penalty goalsNP Goals + assistsNP Goals per gameNP Goals + assists per game
Shearer21311322971190.450.62
Cole414187731872600.450.55
This says it all
Cole was an unbelievable striker. Imagine if we had him now! His all round game was right up there - can anyone remember his heroics against Juventus away in ‘99 - (he was named man of the match in one or two Italian papers). He was so dynamic and his movement and intelligence on and off the ball were exemplary and a major asset to us, aside from turning half chances into real chances because of his pace and clever runs. He would turn average passes into good passes because of his alertness and movement. He also scored some amazing goals and a lot of them!
Great player - definitely in the top ten for me...

Reactions: SilentWitness

Al-T

My favorite oft-forgotten Andy Cole goal:

Tough away tie against a strong Leeds, loads of controversy in the build-up as Beckham was dropped, and Cole wins it out of nothing by bullying one of the league’s best defenders in Radebe.
Yeah, that's the one I always remember. Top player and always a joy to get it right up dirty Leeds on their own patch.

He was never a media darling though - some of his interviews were of the 'you saw it, I did it and it speaks for itself' variety. He wasn't a man that looked like a gave a toss about what the press said. Even when Hoddle said he needed too many chances, everything about Cole's body language suggested he didn't think Hoddle knew his arse from a hole in the ground.

Maybe that's why he's not talked about that often but pure speculation on my part.

stubie

Cole was one hell of a team player!

He could always go wide and bring midfielders into the game and his link up play was pleasing on the eye.

Unfortunately he played in an era where England had 7/8 top strikers hence the reason he never fulfilled his potential internationally.

A shame he left when he did as I believed he could have struck up a better partnership with van Nistelrooy than he did with Yorke.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Andy did an interview with The Beautiful Game podcast and with Keys and Grey, discussing the fact they did a top ten strikers on BBC and they didnt have him in the top ten (although Wrighty put him at number 10 after the fact, because he respected him or something.) Its got me thinking, He's scored 40 goals in a season, won the champions league, was at one point United's all time leading European goalscorer won the Premier League by scoring on the final day twice, scored more outfield goals than anyone. Put those stats with anyone else, and you're talking an all timer.

So what was it? People bang on about Michael Owens injuries, but Coley came to United with shin splints which effected him for 2 years. He broke his legs in a reserve game, and went down with pneumonia within his first 2 years at United. Yet nobody ever gives Coley that excuse when they talk about poor form. There seems to be a big dislike for him among pundits and the press, just because he didnt play the game Shearer and Owen did.

For me, he was absolutely brilliant. Even all those missed chances in his first few years, I look back on now and admire how great his positioning was. He goal machine whose pace and willingness to adapt to the team was first class.
With you 100% legend in my eyes was great to see him play.

Gazza

First impressions stick. His first 2.5 seasons with United were below expectations. What he did from 1992-1995 and 1997 to 2001 was of the highest quality.

I think Shearer was the better player than Cole, but I think Cole was the better value.

Newcastle sold Cole to us for £7m and 18 months later bought Shearer for £15m. If they'd have kept Cole and bought two world-class defenders with the extra £8m instead then the league might have been theirs.
Shearer was the best player in the PL for many years, and one of the best strikers in the world.

I love Andy Cole, but he was never a world class striker. When Cole Scored 40 goals, everything was played through him. Shearer brought far far more to their team than Cole.

again I’m in no way saying Cole was not a fantastic player for us. But he’s nowhere near the likes of RVN, Shearer or Henry.

Hoof the ball

Let's be fair to Ian Wright. He spent the majority of his prime at a team far worse than Cole did at United in the 90's. Wright was 33 when Wenger joined Arsenal and was still outstanding. People forget very quickly how good Wright actually was. If Wright had spent his prime at United, rather than Arsenal, this wouldn't even be a point of contention in the first place.

Bobski

Andy Cole would be in my top 3 favourite Utd players ever. I love how he came back from the height of ABU hate in the mid 90's to a key player in a legendary team.

Vastly underrated, he missed chances, yes, often it felt that if he had too much time he would overthink the finish, but the quality and range of his goals matches anyone/ Long range pings, chips, headers, overhead, scissor kicks, interplay goals, lone striker goals, could play with anyone(maybe not Cantona) and had that aggressive spikey edge I love to see in a Utd player.

I also think he might have the best movement I have ever seen from a striker, at least at Utd, such quick feet, and agility on the turn, great build for a forward, he used to give Desailly at Chelsea fits, when Desailly was still one of the elite defenders. Could have stayed for at least another year, but he choose guaranteed games to attempt to salvage his international career, he must look at the caps that guys like Defoe, Vassel and Crouch ended with and feel frustrated.

Tel074

I wasn’t comparing Cole to Henry. Only that I’d have him closer to the Frenchman than he was Ian Wright.

To be fair, I didn’t rate Ian Wright too much. He’s in there with Fowler, Ferdinand, Kane. Not the top number 9’s.

That's what makes all this interesting it's about personal opinions. For me Wright was top class

His stats speak for themselves. People can try and dismiss him but whenever the all-time lists are brought up, he's right there with them!

His first half season at the club we lost out on the title - some blamed Cole for misses on the final day at West Ham and a few 0-0 games in the run in.

For the rest of the 90s the narrative moved on to the youth players that became the identity of the club and along with preexisting stars like Schmeichel and Keane.

Cole's most high profile time was the trebile season, he and Yorke was electric and tearing it home and away against the best in the world. But then the finale of that season is remembered as Solskjaer getting the key goal of the season.

A lot of people suggest United were so good that anyone could have played up front and got goals - but we know this is bollocks.

I also think football is a bit of an old boys club, if you're not in with the Linekers, Shearers and the FA then you're out of the loop and then those in the club promote and push their mates when talking about past stars.

Cole seems to have always lived outside of the football bubble - for example, after he had a kidney transplant the only two people from United that went to see him were Roy Keane and Dwight Yorke. No one else even contacted him.

Last edited:

TrustInOle

Lampard was a bit of a goal scoring monster. I don’t think anyone will come close from midfield for a while, really. He scored 43 penalty goals but Gerrard in second scored 32, so swings and roundabouts.
Agreed, loved him as a player, just didn't realise he was this devestating in goals. As others have said, equally imppressive is Scholes with how few (1) pens he took.

Would be fascinating to see a goals per game ratio of some foreign players aswell compared to Scholes, Lamps and Gerrard, as many weren't blessed with such longevity.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
IIRC he was being allowed to leave in the summer of 1996 but stayed and fought where a lesser player would have left.
He seemed to go to another level when Dwight Yorke came.

People forget how good he was for Newcastle with Beardsley.
Really underrated player
96? I doubt it. He only came the Jan the year before.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I've never heard anyone talk about Wright in the same breath as the others. Cole was better than Ian Wright for sure and I'd have him not far off of Ruud.
RVN was a strong step up. Shattered Cole's goal scoring level for us.

yan man utd

My favorite oft-forgotten Andy Cole
Tough away tie against a strong Leeds, loads of controversy in the build-up as Beckham was dropped, and Cole wins it out of nothing by bullying one of the league’s best defenders in Radebe.
With reference to the goal away at Leeds....
Unbelievable individual goal. If ronaldo, bergkamp or Henry scored that it would have been played again and again. Awesome skills, cushioning it with his head before shielding it from Radebe then lobbing it over him and beating him for pace.. outrageous skills... I remember that as well as a number of scissor kicks, diving headers, turning players inside out and all sorts of goals ...not to mention goals against all the top sides

Reactions: 711

FujiVice

Everyone blames Cole for that West Ham game, but without his goals against City, Coventry and Southampton, that title race wasnt going down to the final day.

acnumber9

Let's be fair to Ian Wright. He spent the majority of his prime at a team far worse than Cole did at United in the 90's. Wright was 33 when Wenger joined Arsenal and was still outstanding. People forget very quickly how good Wright actually was. If Wright had spent his prime at United, rather than Arsenal, this wouldn't even be a point was of contention in the first place.
Andy Cole scored more than half his Premier League goals for teams other than Man United. Several of them much worse than the Arsenal, Wright played for.

alexthelion

Andy Cole did a really interesting interview with The Guardian recently. It was extremely candid, revealing some of the mental health problems he's experienced following some problems that emanated from his transplant. It can be read here. Unfortunately I was a bit too young to really appreciate Cole as a footballer, but from the footage I've seen retrospectively he was ace. Fantastic partnership with Yorkie that won the club a treble! Legend.
I can totally understand all that he's going through as I've had two kidney transplants (both failed, now waiting for third). People don't see you as ill because 99% of the time nothing is visible. Kidney disease is also not seen as one of the 'trendy' diseases like cancer.

The mental side of things can be a real fight and depression is rife amongst the kidney patients I know.

Sorry to drag of topic, carry on good sirs and ladies.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
I loved him. He was amazing and had a great attitude, and should be considered as one of the top strikers in PL history, no doubt about it.

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
Cole and Solskjær having a good night at Highbury in 1997:

arthurka

Cole was one of the best strikes around and him playing so long for Utd confirms that. I even loved his song.. Great attitude and a great player.

kettledrumhamster

He was brilliant, I absolutely loved the guy. He wasn't respected enough when he was playing and even less so now.
He even kept a decent record up after leaving United and hopping round a few clubs. He scored a belter for Blackburn at Anfield, scored the winning goal in the league cup final for them, and I remember an awesome curling chip he scored for City and another great goal for Fulham. I vaguely remember an incredible volley he scored for us in a pre-season friendly, but my memory is hazy on that.

His assists, teamwork, movement to make space for other players, and finishing were exceptional. I was gutted when he left even if he was replaced by Ruud.

Last edited:
Reactions: SteveJ

Gazza

One of my favorites. This match was the real igniting of the rivalry between Fergie’s United and Wenger’s Arsenal. The next time we played was an epic game at Highbury, we lost 3-2, and the rivalry went up another level. Fantastic games.

Yagami

Good post resistant
One of our many players who get underrated.

By a bit, yeah.

Ian Wright: 213 games; 113 goals; 22 assists
A goal every 1.88~ games

Andy Cole: 414 games; 187 goals; 73 assists
A goal every 2.39~ games

Cole’s assist record is quality for a striker, though! Only Henry (74); and Sheringham (76) have more as ‘pure strikers’.

0 penalty goals is quality too! Definitely deserves a lot more respect on his name.
I didn't realise Sheringham had so many assists. God, I love Teddy!

Okey

Well, others are free to think or say what they like. We at United love and respect Cole to bits. He'll always be a legend here. I'm sure he knows that too...

OL29

I can totally understand all that he's going through as I've had two kidney transplants (both failed, now waiting for third). People don't see you as ill because 99% of the time nothing is visible. Kidney disease is also not seen as one of the 'trendy' diseases like cancer.

The mental side of things can be a real fight and depression is rife amongst the kidney patients I know.

Sorry to drag of topic, carry on good sirs and ladies.
Hope it works out for you, third time’s a charm.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
I wouldn't go that far. Wright was better in my opinion but both were fantastic strikers.
Not a chance. Wright was inconsistent against fodder teams. Cole turned up every game and his speed and positioning (and playing in front of the best midfield in PL history) meant he was involved and had chances in every game he played.

I’d sometimes get annoyed that he’d miss a few chances, but post SAF, when we’ve been totally starved of chances created, let alone goals, I realised just how intuitive and intelligent Cole was as a striker. Even guys like Ibra and Falcao lacked his positional awareness and ability to run through the lines.

Andy Cole was an elite level striker, would have been in the top 2 or 3 even now and we were very lucky to have him. Journalists or pundits who don’t recognise that can do one.

padzilla

Hipster
I can't help but feel rival fans and certain elements of the media were happy to overlook Cole for some strange reason. I am not sure what it is. The facts are his record was sensational and his overall play was at a level that few strikers could manage. Yes Shearer was the greatest goalscorer in the PL history but everything went through him, he didn't have the speed and technique that Cole showed when he and Yorke absolutely terrorised defences during our Treble year. I accept people are entitled to their own opinions but there's something suspicious about so many people dismissing the achievements of the third highest goalscorer in PL history, to not include him in a top 10 strikers list is dodgy in the extreme.

Redcy

It’s as has been mentioned for two or three reasons:

1) the narrrarive created by successive England managers. Let’s be clear the number of united players abandoned, shit on, or plain ignored by England during our period of success was ridiculous. Favouring older, players, London clubs and Liverpool caused some of this. Any excuse was trotted out and Hoddle was one of the worst. Plenty of players have said that if you turned Hoddle down, or he didn’t like you for any reason you could not get in any of his teams.

2) media narrative was similar, as has been the case for a long time, and still is, the media is full of Liverpool and London centric journalists. They loved running down Cole even during that 99 season.

3) he didn’t give bombastic interviews or cosy up to the press. He treated them like they were shit, I think due to how they treated him

4) other fans bought into it, he was a united player and very few got any respect. Look at how most other fans talk about any of our top players (scholes, beckham, Keane, ferdinand, Neville), all skated by opposition fans.

Salt Bailly

Auburn, not Ginger.
Class player and scored some absolute bangers. Overhead kicks, lobs, chips, low hard drives, etc.

A personal favourite of mine is his goal against Fiorentina:

It was a decent finish, but what a hit from Keane! Don't remember that at all.

Redcy

great collection

Overhead outside the box

overhead inside the box

I am amazed how many he scores with his left relatively

BiggusCrickus

Cole and Yorke....magic. Loved Andy Cole as a kid. And think he dont get the respect he deserves because he never shone in an England shirt.

SweetRightFoot

This video kind of sums it up.

Wright makes a good run and gets a great pass to get in on goal. Shoots straight at Schmeichel but gets described as 'the great Arsenal goal scorer'.

Next clip, Cole gets a more difficult ball played into him, dummies the defender, goes round the keeper and puts it away brilliantly. Described as 'flashes of the Andy Cole of old'.

Can pretty much sums up the opinions of both in that clip perfectly.

Tribec

It's really difficult to where to place Cole in this sort of list, his goal tally suggests high up, but he came to us with a RVN type reputation and it didn't work with him and Cantona. Let's be fair he hardly played with Eric straight away due to his ban, but upon his return they didn't hit it off as magically as Sir Alex hoped for, a bit like Hughes and McClair before them, effective but not blowing teams away that had been envisaged.

Cole then developed a much more team orientated style of game, moving away from being the pure poacher that he'd been. He was much better than many people gave him credit for at the time and even now, but it wasn't his natural game, but as with many others he made it work successfully and was a vital player in our success at the time. I ask myself would I have swapped him for anyone else at the time he was playing for us? Perhaps that first year or so maybe, the amount of chances he took to score wasn't huge and wasn't an issue for me, he kept putting himself in the position to take the chance, but he wasn't the prolific striker we'd hoped to buy and I think that's part of the reason Fergie went back in for Shearer. However Cole turned it round and the rest is history.

Is he in the top 10 strikers all time for the Premier League? I'll be honest and say I don't know I think perhaps anywhere between 6 and 14 on my list depending on many factors. I can't pinpoint him and so whilst I think he can feel hurt he wasn't mentioned in the BBC list, I don't know where I'd put him myself. I will say this he's in the top 5 United strikers of the Premier League era for me, but we've had some beauties for sure in this time.

balaks

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
This video kind of sums it up.

Wright makes a good run and gets a great pass to get in on goal. Shoots straight at Schmeichel but gets described as 'the great Arsenal goal scorer'.

Next clip, Cole gets a more difficult ball played into him, dummies the defender, goes round the keeper and puts it away brilliantly. Described as 'flashes of the Andy Cole of old'.

Can pretty much sums up the opinions of both in that clip perfectly.
Using a clip from one game to make judgement on two player's careers is so incredibly dumb. All I gotta do is find a few clips of Cole missing chances and stick up a few of Wright scoring similar chances and then I can do the same thing and we can both look dumb.