The Diving Thread

Hoof the ball

I don't like dives, but I can endure it. What I can't endure is protracted periods on the floor. That's worse, imo. If someone dives, gets a free-kick and gets up right away you've lost a few seconds of football, but if someone exagerrates contact and then stays down for a whole minute and this happens repeatedly over 90 minutes, then it's worse. It just kills game momentum.

There's no way that the physical body has somehow devolved over 10 years to the point that pain threshold has universally plummeted. It's just pure cheating.

Oranges038

Now VAR rewards diving, any contact and it doesn't get overturned, usually if there's a VAR review there's no yellow card for diving.

Always a classic.

Trezeguet17

I don't like dives, but I can endure it. What I can't endure is protracted periods on the floor. That's worse, imo. If someone dives, gets a free-kick and gets up right away you've lost a few seconds of football, but if someone exagerrates contact and then stays down for a whole minute and this happens repeatedly over 90 minutes, then it's worse. It just kills game momentum.

There's no way that the physical body has somehow devolved over 10 years to the point that pain threshold has universally plummeted. It's just pure cheating.
Fully agree. Even worse than diving is the acting.

I am not going to say it doesn’t happen anywhere else but I can‘t watch La Liga games because of it. Almost every game should have at least 25 minutes additional time if you would stop the clock correctly.

I am hoping that refs are soon allowed to deny players to continue the game and insist that the player is immediately taken to the nearest hospital for an examination.

I can‘t forget the Brazil - Mexico game in Russia, world cup 2018.
Neymar was laying near the coaching zone, a mexican player tries to get the ball from him and slightly touched Neymar‘s foot. He was screaming in agony, crying like he’s about to die and I immediately thought damn that must be something very very serious and he will be out for at least a year.
2 minutes later he stands up and plays on like nothing happened

Edit: the Ciro Immobile one at the Qatar world cup also made my blood boil. Hate him since that scene. What a cnut