Television The Documentary Thread

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
BBC 4 is always filled with interesting documentaries and obviously channels like the Discovery Channel/More 4/BBC2 etc, have their own fair share of scientific, historical programming which quite alot of us watch, but we don't really get a chance to discuss inbetween ourselves in a specific thread. So anyway, just one I watched this week, feel free to provide reminders for upcoming shows, provide Iplayer/4od links to one's you've just seen, or old documentaries available on youtube or what have you.

BBC iPlayer - Everything and Nothing: Nothing

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
I watched a couple of documentaries yesterday.

David Attenborough - The Mystery of the Giant Egg
Decent enough. No real conclusions but interesting stuff about an extinct bird species.

The Vice Guide to North Korea
Great one. They've also done the Guide to Liberia. Some harsh and f**ked up stuff you witness in those countries.

Heavy Metal in Baghdad.
The Vice guys again. About this only metal band in Iraq. Before, during and after the war. What they have to do just to be able to practice their instruments, get to see the perspective of a normal Iraqi during the war and what not. Great watch.

Vice guide docs are free so you can download them guilt free off torrent sites.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
I watched a couple of documentaries yesterday.

David Attenborough - The Mystery of the Giant Egg
Decent enough. No real conclusions but interesting stuff about an extinct bird species.
Yeah watched that one too, it was basically a misleading title because it wasn't that much of an engaging mystery considering some of the crazy myths behind it and the remainder of the show ended up being an extended 'Madagascar' episode.

BBC iPlayer - The Truth About Lions: The Social Cat

Watched ^ last week, thought it was excellent.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Yeah I saw that thread Pogue, but it was about Film documentaries from what I'd seen, so something like the Garden mentioned by 77 would fit in there.. this thread is more Horizon/Storyville/Civilisation/Nature doc, 1 hour TV specials sort of thing.

Diablodave

Raulduke

That Shankill butchers one was something else! I actually ended up working with the guy Gerard McLaverty who got them all caught. It really fecked him up.
Yeah it was well worth watching. I was worried that Stephen Nolan would ruin it but in fairness to him interviewing victims is what he does well. I thought the families spoke incredibly powerfully.

urinates in helmets
Supports
Berwick Rangers
Saw a good one the other night...

Catching Hell

When Chicagoan Steve Bartman fatefully deflected a foul ball in Game 6 of the 2003 NLCS, the city's long-suffering Cubs fans found someone new to blame for their cursed century without a World Series title. Director Alex Gibney explores the psychology of die-hard sports fans, the frightening phenomenon of scapegoating, and the hysteria that turned mild-mannered Bartman into the most hated man in Chicago.
You don't need to be a baseball fan to enjoy this. Really well done.

Bit of a shame they never got to interview Bartman to see his point of view now.

cinc

Well worth watching, with great music.

Soundtrack for a Revolution is a 2009 documentary film written and directed by Bill Guttentag and Dan Sturman. This documentary traces the story of the civil rights movement and the struggles fought by young African-American activists with an emphasis on the power of music. Soundtrack for a Revolution had its international premiere at the Cannes Film Festival and its North American premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival.[1] Soundtrack for a Revolution was selected by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences as part of the Oscar shortlist for the Documentary Feature category of the 82nd Academy Awards. [2] The film has screened at numerous festivals including Cannes, Tribeca, IDFA and Sheffield Doc/Fest.

FCBarca

Mes que un Rag
Supports
Peace
Finally got around to seeing the 3 part BBC series on The Great Barrier Reef, in stunning HD

Fantastic, highly recommended - never quite knew the extent of the Reef

Also, one of our favorite is about the killer whale, Luna

Carolina Red

Staff
Being a history person, I love a good military documentary. I found this series to be pretty dang good...

Royal Marines: Mission Afghanistan