The Double Draft R1 - Chester vs Marty/RT

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Law wasn't much of a threat outside the box, he himself often talks about it. Says he couldn't get the ball near the goal from the 18 yard line(probably exaggerating but you get the point). His link up play was pretty good, but he did to get a great position in the box. On the other hand Greaves was a massive threat from all over. He was a complete forward which is what you want in a second striker. Fast, wonderful ball striking, great football brain and he could dribble.
I think we're nearly on the same page, actually - or at least not that far apart. I don't disagree with any of that - but I haven't said that I expect Law to be a direct threat outside the box, and he will obviously seek to get inside it (the box) to finish, not least with his head (from a Kaltz cross). And Greaves doesn't operate as a sheer box player - as per the description he will move about considerably: What I state is that he's my primary finisher, and that he will focus mainly on the latter - whereas Law to a greater extent will seek to link up (with Charlton and the runners).

For me, though, it would look odd if I were to simply reverse those roles, as you suggest- I don't see that as natural. But point noted - I respect your opinion.

As for the un-dynamic duo, I've pretty much exhausted that topic, I reckon - but, yes, you're quite right: A part of the premise here is that the defence may come under pressure, but that is precisely why I've gone with a three-CB model (and three of the greatest defenders in history to fill those roles).

That said, Motta and Albertini don't become air just because they aren't particularly rapid/dynamic. You can't just run right through them - they're both positionally sound and tactically astute. And they obviously won't be standing around gazing at the sky either - neither of them are lazy.

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
On the last note, one also has to ask precisely who it is who's supposed to exploit this lack of dynamism: Del Piero has been mentioned, but like I said he won't magically create a fatal imbalance by storming past A/M (in which case he has to drop very deep in order to pick up the ball to begin with, but fair enough - let's say he does). Overath is the only one of M/T's central trio who is likely to positively take on his man and carry the ball into the final third - and Overath, to my knowledge, wasn't particularly rapid himself.

The wingbacks will obviously seek to contribute, but the way both teams are set up there's no reason to think they'll be doing this unchallenged from a balanced (from my point of view) position, i.e. as part of a more possession orientated game plan. When I'm defending, Kaltz and Briegel (in particular) will obviously be doing just that.

M/T doesn't have any numerical advantage that I can see to exploit if or when they (but again, who exactly are they?) leave M/A behind in the dust.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Indeed, Law has to be one of the most well-rounded centre-forward in the history of the game, esp one that boasted pretty much most of the qualities that you'd expect from an orthodox goalscoring 'focal point'.

Any particular reason why you'd say that mate?

A great game by Law as an inside right (or left, can't remember) behind Herd, which I'd recommend.
What a performance by Law.. absolutely world class. He shits on someone like Rooney. Such a complete attacker.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Chester:

- strong defensive base
- 2 top scorers: I understand they can play together
- 1 attacking/playmaking midfielder to support the strikers

Marty/RT:

- strong defensive base
- the best striker on the pitch who plays with a support striker: superb partnership here

From there, 3 'main options':

A. 4-4-2 system like the Arsenal in the early 2000s with Bergkamp/Henry + Pirès/Ljungberg
B. 3-5-2 system with a central attacking/playmaking midfielder: example Zidane/Del Piero/Trézéguet
C. what you did: example Germany 1990 matthaus/littbarski/hassler to support Voller/Klinsmann

I'm a big fan of your players on the whole but I have the feeling that Xavi would be unhappy here and that it would be hard to get the most out of him in this scenario.

Last edited:

Marty1968

Chester:

- strong defensive base
- 2 top scorers: I understand they can play together
- 1 attacking/playmaking midfielder to support the strikers

Marty/RT:

- strong defensive base
- the best striker on the pitch who plays with a support striker: superb partnership here

From there, 3 'main options':

A. 4-4-2 system like the Arsenal in the early 2000s with Bergkamp/Henry + Pirès/Ljungberg
B. 3-5-2 system with a central attacking/playmaking midfielder: example Zidane/Del Piero/Trézéguet
C. what you did: example Germany 1990 matthaus/littbarski/hassler to support Voller/Klinsmann

I'm a big fan of your players on the whole but I have the feeling that Xavi would be unhappy here and that it would be hard to get the most out of him in this scenario.
Not sure i agree with you on the Xavi comment. To be honest I think the Deschamps, Xavi, Overath trio would work very much like the Busquets/Xavi/Iniesta trio at Barca....the only difference being that Deschamps if probably more physical and less graceful/theatrical than Busquets. The three of those behind a great partnership of Del Piero and the wonderful MVB who had it all from my point of view will bypass Motta/Albertini and potentially overload the back three, no matter how capable they are.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Not sure i agree with you on the Xavi comment. To be honest I think the Deschamps, Xavi, Overath trio would work very much like the Busquets/Xavi/Iniesta trio at Barca....the only difference being that Deschamps if probably more physical and less graceful/theatrical than Busquets. The three of those behind a great partnership of Del Piero and the wonderful MVB who had it all from my point of view will bypass Motta/Albertini and potentially overload the back three, no matter how capable they are.
I think your teams beautiful.. just wish you hadn't picked Varane. A strong experienced back three and you'd win this game for me.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Maybe I'm wrong or narrow-minded, I have the feeling that Deschamps-Xavi-Overath would be better behind another offensive trio: 2 wingers + 1 CF like henry-etoo-messi.

Deschamps-Overath + Littbarski (someone who likes running with the ball) would have made more sense?

TBH I don't know.

What I'm sure is that the teams are close.

Marty1968

I think your teams beautiful.. just wish you hadn't picked Varane. A strong experienced back three and you'd win this game for me.
Not too many other 'youth' players that would have fit in...in hind sight, Chester's De Gea pick was inspired. With him in goal and Schnellinger/Hansen/Hierro I'm much stronger.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Not too many other 'youth' players that would have fit in...in hind sight, Chester's De Gea pick was inspired. With him in goal and Schnellinger/Hansen/Hierro I'm much stronger.
Totally agree.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
As far as I'm concerned, I'm indulgent with your youth player and OK with your defence.

Hierro was a very smart pick given his versatility & his technical skills

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Will be interesting to see how people fare here - on the whole - with their youth picks. In the other match mazhar struggles considerably with Pogba, of all people.

Of course, there are other factors beyond the player himself - but, yes, it will be interesting to see. De Gea was a small gamble but disregarding the (pretty slim) chance of him being t-bola'd, he was a no-brainer.

Anyway, I'm glad to see the votes balanced out more than it appeared at one stage - like I said to begin with, I looked at this as a tight match and wouldn't have expected anything beyond nicking a winner (1-0, 2-1 at the most).

Marty1968

Will be interesting to see how people fare here - on the whole - with their youth picks. In the other match mazhar struggles considerably with Pogba, of all people.

Of course, there are other factors beyond the player himself - but, yes, it will be interesting to see. De Gea was a small gamble but disregarding the (pretty slim) chance of him being t-bola'd, he was a no-brainer.

Anyway, I'm glad to see the votes balanced out more than it appeared at one stage - like I said to begin with, I looked at this as a tight match and wouldn't have expected anything beyond nicking a winner (1-0, 2-1 at the most).
De Gea was an excellent choice...lets hope he doesn't get injured. If he doesn't then you've got the base to go all the way. Motta to go straight away for the next round and maybe a change on the flanks. Combo up top is pretty special.

Congratulations on the win though. Think had I started with Deschamps instead of Effenberg it might have been even closer.

...On the plus side I'm off to Cyprus tomorrow! Sweeeet!!

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
De Gea was an excellent choice...lets hope he doesn't get injured. If he doesn't then you've got the base to go all the way. Motta to go straight away for the next round and maybe a change on the flanks. Combo up top is pretty special.

Congratulations on the win though. Think had I started with Deschamps instead of Effenberg it might have been even closer.

...On the plus side I'm off to Cyprus tomorrow! Sweeeet!!
Great team but yeah surprising you haven't sold the trio deschamps/di livio/del piero from the outset!

Enjoy your holidays :)

Chesterlestreet

Man of the crowd
Definitely
Probably.

It's impossible to say what impact his substitution move had, or to what extent the people voting considered it as an actual substitution move or not (see the other thread).

Some may have, others - I think * - would have voted against my team regardless. So, Marty's sub didn't make a difference to them - they simply voted later on.

But yes, it's obviously possible that some who considered his initial approach flawed to a significant extent, voted for me - but would have voted for him if he had gone for Deschamps, etc., to begin with.

* By which I mean know.

Last edited:

Pat_Mustard

I'm so gorgeous they want to put me under arrest!
A never-nude? I thought he just liked cut-offs.
Probably.

It's impossible to say what impact his substitution move had, or to what extent the people voting considered it as an actual substitution move or not (see the other thread).

Some may have, others - I think * - would have voted against my team regardless. So, Marty's sub didn't make a difference to them - they simply voted later on.

But yes, it's obviously possible that some who considered his initial approach flawed to a significant extent, voted for me - but would have voted for him if he had gone for Deschamps, etc., to begin with.

* By which I mean know.
I didn't get back here in time to vote, but despite liking Marty's Deschamps sub I'd have voted for you. As discussed in the other thread, IMO a substitution can't simply be regarded as a clean slate. You came into this with a clearly defined plan and executed it well from the outset, and that has to count significantly.