The Double Draft - R1: ctp vs PNut

Who will win the match?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
vs

............................................ TEAM CTP ............................................................................................. TEAM P-NUT ............................................
TEAM CTP

The Set-Up
  • Philosophy: Think about what this term means to you. Do you remember the feelings watching that kind of football brought out in you? Well, prepare for the exact opposite! This is a team designed to attack and create and excite. This is a team full of players that played for the greatest attacking sides in history - Hungary '54, Brazil '70 and '82, Germany '72, United '99, the current Bayern side. Even on the bench there's 70s Ajax, 90s United, Pep's Barca, and another Magical Magyar.

Prepare for outrageous dribbling, slick interplay, pinpoint crosses, and great goals. Prepare to be entertained!

• Attack: I'd describe the shape as a 4-2-4 in attack. Let's go through the build-up from the back: Boateng is the more accomplished passer than Stam, so playing the ball out of defence is mainly his responsibility. He has licence to hit his long diagonals if there is a good opportunity, but playing it short is preferred.

Netzer is the main man in the middle running the game, who will drop deep to receive the ball and then pass or carry it forward. He has support of the highest calibre in the form of Matthäus in the centre, and Carlos Alberto and Júnior on the wings. Either will drop into the centre to help with the build-up (if necessary) before moving up and linking with their winger.

Kocsis and Walter will be occupying the opposition centre backs up top and pushing them back, ideally leaving a defensive midfielder marking no one (depending of course on P-Nut's set-up). Walter will drop into the hole on occasion to pull defenders out of position or to receive the ball in a dangerous area.

For goalscoring, creativity is the name of the game, and my team has that in spades - the goals can come from any direction. Netzer and Matthäus are both capable of the defence-splitting pass as well as the long range strike. There are two dangerous winger/fullback pairs, especially on the right wing of course, who will mainly create chances for my strikers but can chip in with a goal here and there too. Kocsis is the main goalscorer for my side, he'll get on the end of passes and crosses, and finish them reliably. Fritz Walter adds yet more goalscoring threat, plus quick interplay and passes around the box to further confound the defence. It's too many threats to focus on - there will be goals!

• Defence: Off the ball we'll settle into a compact 4-4-2 shape, short distances between the lines and squeezing the game. P-Nut's team will be mostly left alone in their half of the pitch, the press will start once his midfielders (or Baresi) cross the half-way line.

Zonal marking as you'd expect with this shape, with a little extra focus on Platini by Matthäus. The second bit of extra focus is on closing down the passing lanes through the middle, denying Ronaldo the opportunity, if not the space, to run in behind.
Why We'll Win
  • The Right Wing of Death: it really doesn't get any better, the greatest right winger of all time, Mané Garrincha, supported by World Cup winning captain Carlos Alberto. Together they'll terrorise any opponent's left side - Ashley Cole will have nightmares after this game.

• So the right wing is amazing, the left is not too shabby either, and I have the strikers to capitalise: Kocsis is one of the best "pure" strikers around, give him the ball in the box and he'll put it in the back of the net; and that's not just with his feet, he's a superb header of the ball as well.

Supporting him is Fritz Walter, another legendary World Cup winning captain, who is invaluable for offering both another goalscoring presence as well as great playmaking around the box.

• Beating quantity with quality in midfield: Netzer and Matthäus have the quality to hold the centre and not lose the midfield battle even against superior numbers. Both also have the uncanny ability to skip past opponents at speed, creating space for themselves and their team.

• Good counters to P-Nut's main threats - Platini and Ronaldo: Short distances between the lines are key to combating Platini, denying him the space to roam. Matthäus's energy and defensive nous will play an important role as well.

Ronaldo is perhaps even harder to combat, but between Boateng's pace and Stam's defensive anticipation and physicality we stand a good chance.

• Fantastic Leadership: three World Cup winning captains, several more charismatic players with great attitude on the pitch, this team will never give up and fight to the bitter end, it will never let it's supporters down. Spirit of Champions!

TEAM P-NUT

P-Nut - 1. Ince 2. Batistuta 3. Baresi 4. Ronaldo (fenomeno) 5. Gentile 6. Platini 7. Vieira 8. Maicon (10m) 9. L. King (10m) 10. Oblak (35m) 11. Cole (37m) 12. Scholes (26m) 13. Makélélé (30m) 14. Weah (30m) 15. Thiago Silva (15m) 16. Bale (10m)

The Set Up

I've modelled my team on a couple of different tactics with a slight tweak to them. The Juve diamond of the past couple of seasons and also the diamond Mourinho played whilst at Inter.

The key element of the team is to be completely solid defensively and the team has been picked to represent that. In defence I have 4 players whose first priority is to defend which cannot be said for all defenders nowadays. From left to right we have Cole, Baresi, Gentile and Maicon.

The Defence

Both fullbacks are excellent defensively but are more than capable going the other way as well. Their primary function in this game will be to defend however and keep things compact. They will be allowed to push on but only when the midfield is in place and the opposite full back hasn't already gone forward.

Both centre backs bring something different to the table. Baresi is an excellent all rounder and needs no introduction. Having him in the side eliminates the need for a deep lying playmaker as he is more than capable of running the game from deep. I have paired him with Gentile, another player whose reputation proceeds him. The hard man of Serie A Gentile will be the enforcer of my defence. No nonsense CB to go with the ball playing Baresi.

The Midfield Diamond

At the base of the diamond I have the player synonymous with the role, Makelele has now become a household name for any football fan, despite playing one of the least glamorous roles on the pitch. Seen as a killjoy by many casual fans, Makelele is known for his ability to read the game and put out fires. His game is a joy to watch for myself and I am sure many more. His role in this game will be the same as always, disrupt the opposition and kill their creativity, with the ball he'll take the simple option every time and keep possession.

Flanking Makelele I have gone with two conventional B2B midfielders, however mine both come with an edge. Viera and Ince don't just go box2box they were midfield generals in there own time. They won the battle first and then the game and this style will work perfectly in ensuring that I am solid defensively. Both are capable going forward and will be comfortable moving forward with the ball with pace and power.

The creative force of the side is the maestro Platini. He will have no job but to create. He has no defensive burden with the players surrounding him. He will run the game for me and go wherever he wants to. His scoring rate is up there with some of the strikers regarded as greats and he has had a team built around him to let him thrive here.

Strikers

Up top I have gone for a two man strikeforce. The postioning of Ronaldo on the formation graphic tells the wrong story. Just like Platini he will have a free role, he'll drift wide and run at players, trying to isolate them where he will inevitably create chances for himself and others. Batistuta is the final piece to the jigsaw and what a piece to finish with. The complete striker 'Batigol' had it all. Pace and power all rolled into one footballer. His strikes look like he is trying to rip the net off the back and he is a guaranteed goalscorer.

Why I'll win

The tenacity in midfield will lead to lots of turnovers. I aim to bully my opponent into submission basically. Just imagine lining up on the opposite team to Ince, Makelele and Viera. You know you will be in for a war and one you are unlikely to win.

Busquets whilst an excellent deep lying playmaker and reader of the game will struggle to keep tabs on Platini . And with Ronaldo dovetailing the defensive side of Busquets game could become exposed.

Goals, goals and more goals! Platini has a 1 in 2 record from midfield while Batistuta and Ronaldo are regarded as 2 of the finest examples of strikers the world has ever seen. Combine that with the solid defensive side of my team and there is only one outcome.

It might not be pretty but its effective ;)

paulscholes18

Not sure about Netzer in a 2 man midfield, not known for his defensive work and Matthaus was a box 2 box midfielder

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
P-nut. I think that's my favourite side of the first round other than Enigmas.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Yeah it really has worked out well. With Ctp playing a 2 man midfield as well Platini will have all the time in the world to do as he chooses. Ronaldo drifting around the pitch will cause havoc also.

Balu

Der Fußballgott
Supports
Bayern Munich
Busquets has to play in @ctp 's team, as much as I want Fritz Walter on the pitch. And I'd put Blankenburg in for Boateng, even though I rate both very highly. Just think Blankenburg is the better Beckenbauer copy. Sucks so badly that Beckenbauer got lost along the way. That central core of Beckenbauer, Netzer, Matthäus was something truely special.

Enigma_87

You know who
two well crafted sides that also kept all their 3 DoFI players.

I think ctp's team needs 3rd man in midfield - I agree with Balu that Busquets has to play in this game at the expense of Walter.

I'm not sure what support will Ginola and Garrincha offer in defence either so it would make it a bit lightweight as it is. Busquets in there in a 4-3-3 and it's a great side.

P-nut also have an excellent core, however it's a bit narrow and the width has to come from Maicon and Cole and they would be handful in defence.

Tought to decide as it is.

P-Nut

My width will only be occasional when Ronaldo drifts wide. Its more focused on Viera and Ince breaking forward past players to open spaces than getting it wide.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I will prepare something about Ginola because I have chosen this legacy player

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Ginola -CV - career peak between 1993-99

Ginola was voted 'Player of the Year' in both his native France (1993) and England (1998–1999 season), the only French player to have been bestowed both these honours.

Club
Paris Saint-Germain
  • Coupe de France : 1992–93, 1994–95
  • Championat de France (Ligue 1) : 1993–94
  • Coupe de la Ligue : 1995
Tottenham Hotspur
  • Football League Cup : 1999
International
France U-21
  • Toulon Tournament: 1987
Individual
  • Toulon Tournament Best Player: 1987
  • French Player of the Year: 1993
  • Ligue 1 Player of the Year: 1993–94
  • Premier League Player of the Month: August 1995, December 1998
  • FIFA XI: 1996
  • PFA Team of the Year: 1995–96, 1998–99
  • Tottenham Hotspur F.C. Player of the Year: 1998
  • PFA Players' Player of the Year: 1998–99
  • FWA Footballer of the Year: 1998–99
  • World Soccer: The 100 Greatest Footballers of All Time
Style of Play

Ginola was renowned for his "magical" touch on the ball and his ability to get past players from any type of position and then manage to score a goal.In 1999, Dutch legend Johan Cruijff remarked that it was his belief that Ginola was currently the best player in the world.

Positioning: on the left side as a second striker or wing-forward

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
David Ginola could do the job - here - in terms of defensive contribution as he did with PSG in the 90.

Humm. Maybe his best performances were against Real Madrid in the UEFA Cup or in the Champions League 94/95. Ginola won't be an easy task for Maicon in any case.

I will try to make 1-2 gif.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
BTW, as expected, P-Nut has a strong team in terms of physical impact.

I don't know WALTER so I can't really judge the team of ctp for the moment.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG

QF of the UEFA Cup in 1993: PSG/Real Madrid

1st leg Real Madrid 3 - 1 PSG (goal Ginola)

2nd leg PSG 4-1 (goal ginola)

EDIT: I am not saying Ginola is the equivalent of Ronaldo or Batistuta !!

Last edited:

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Platini played in a similar manner with France in 1984 - Euro 1984 Final

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
ctp's side looks immense (and that is after loosing Beckenbauer!)

But I have questions about his midfield two (like Balu said, Busquets would've been perfect there) - there is already a numerical advantage for P-Nut there and you also can not afford putting Matthaus on Platini (a-la his Maradona job). So Platini, one of the best players on the pitch, will have tons of space in front of him, which is suicidal.

Best pure winger plus the best header (what were the numbers, 400+ headers in his career?) in history is a deadly pairing, it really can't be upgraded even with the superior striker (and there are very few)

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
pnut with the tactical win if something doesnt change....and i would say with an pretty easy win.

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
I echo the others in that Busquets needs to play to bring some balance to the side but it isn't as bad as it is made out to be imo. Firstly, Junior will contribute a lot to the midfield from his pseudo left-back position and Walter was a fairly industrious player with notable team ethic, by all accounts. Then again, Pnut does have an imposing core and one Platini at the helm of it, and ctp's midfield (even with the support of Junior & Walter) is too lightweight to deal with it.

Edgar Allan Pillow

Ero-Sennin
In absence of winger, Junior can be expected to move into the middle and beef up support for Netzer. Ginola vs Maicon and Garrincha vs Cole favour ctp too.

That's an outrageous attack PNut fields and he'd definitely hurt through the middle, with ctp getting joy through the flanks.

A high scoring game no doubt.

JeffBoomTetris

ctp's wings are strong. But the midfield is where it falls apart. Netzer, a more attack minded midfielder and Matthaus a box to box midfielder. That isn't working against Ince, Vieira & Makalele. Not to mention Platini dropping off to further pack the midfield

harms

Staff
Anyone remember Juve - Torino games from 1985, when Junior became Serie A player of the year and Platini won Ballon D'Or? He mostly played as a defensive midfielder for them so they should've clashed. Although he can't afford to spend that much time centrally with Maicon and Ronaldo roaming around

Edit: 7:0 :eek:

harms

Staff
What's the consensus towards the playing managers voting?
They can and will vote (if you're not talking about the managers whose teams are playing in that particular game, of course). The only exception is the semi-finals, managers who proceed to the final can't choose their opponents.

P-Nut

Ah yeah just realised I could see them without voting so doesn't matter anymore. Glad to see people get the idea of my team

Cal?

CR7 fan
I feel sorry for ctp, doesn't really deserve to be down 10-0.

harms

Staff
What's amazing is that only P-Nut's GOATs (Baresi, Platini and Ronaldo) plus Oblak would get into my combined XI.

Busquets decision was a real game-changer :(

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
I feel sorry for ctp, doesn't really deserve to be down 10-0.
No, 10-1 :devil: I hope @ctp is not so upset because he has not participated in the discussion.

P-Nut was smart to have secured Batistuta early in the process (before the draw regarding the offensive players & the auction-process). Keeping Baresi-Platini-Ronaldo has made the game easier.

Ctp was unlucky to have lost Beckenbauer and bold to try a 4-4-2 against the obvious 4-3-1-2 of P-Nut.

With or without Beckenbauer, ctp could have had a closer game and I thought he had picked Busquets - before the Auction Process - to put in place :

- a 3-5-2 system with Ginola as a support striker. PSG 93-95 - SF of the Champions League - used a 4-4-2 system and the duo was Weah/Ginola
- a 4-3-3 system with Ginola as left wing-forward.

A 4-4-2 is probably hard to sell here because not fashionable nowadays and it requires a strong tactical discipline.

Of course, deserved win for @P-Nut0712 in this context.

Last edited:

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
It's clear that Pnut controls midfield which should give Ronaldo and Platini enough ball time to win the game.

I fancy Kocsis to get one or two though. That right flank will be a chance creation highway and there is nobody better than Kocsis to get on the end of crosses. Not that Pnut's defence is poor in the air, but against the greatest of all there is a real collective lack of height in that back five.

VivaJanuzaj

I agree that Busquets has to play instead of Fritz. Voted for ctp anyway as I'm biased for some of his amazing players but if that formation won't change soon I might change my vote.

P-Nut

Wow from 10-0 to 11-6. Anyone got any areas they feel will cause me to lose the game so I can explain my counter to it?

harms

Staff
Wow from 10-0 to 11-6. Anyone got any areas they feel will cause me to lose the game so I can explain my counter to it?
Just a natural balance restoring itself - you didn't deserve 10 vote lead and the votes for ctp were bound to happen, with or without any changes. You still have a respectable lead (although it's scary to see your opponent gaining so much in such a little time)

Main threat here is Koscic with the Garrincha's support. You have Cole 1-on-1 with the Brazilian (or rather with two of them) - and the little Gentile won't be of much help to Baresi dealing with arguably the greatest header of all-times.

I rate Baresi as the best pure defender in the history of the game, but he wasn't an all-time great header of the ball, he was fairly short (1,76 cm), he didn't possess the leap of Passarella or Chumpitaz and wasn't as dominant in the air as Kohler or even Vidic.

Oblak won't be of much help either - that's where an all-time great keeper would've been useful

Last edited:

P-Nut

Just a natural balance restoring itself - you didn't deserve 10 vote lead and the votes for ctp were bound to happen, with or without any changes. You still have a respectable lead (although it's scary to see your opponent gaining so much in such a little time)

Main threat here is Koscic with the Garrincha's support. You have Cole 1-on-1 with the Brazilian (or rather with two of them) - and the little Gentile won't be of much help to Baresi dealing with arguably the greatest header of all-times.

I rate Baresi as the best pure defender in the history of the game, but he wasn't an all-time great header of the ball, he was fairly short (1,76 cm), he didn't possess the leap of Passarella or Chumpitaz and wasn't as dominant in the air as Kohler or even Vidic.

Oblak won't be of much help either - that's where an all-time great keeper would've been useful
Whilst I get the point you are making about the threat down the wings causing problems, that is the exact reason I have both fullbacks withdrawn and not bombing down the wings. It is a tactic set up to frustrate, be tight and compact with lots of turnovers due to the hard working middle.

The problems I would cause with Platini and Ronaldo drifting all over the place with Batistuta as the focal point would be far greater I feel.

harms

Staff
Whilst I get the point you are making about the threat down the wings causing problems, that is the exact reason I have both fullbacks withdrawn and not bombing down the wings
It can work against Robben, I guess. But here you have Garrincha with the support of C. Alberto, they will absolutely murder Cole, withdrawn or not. If you'd have Maldini with Nedved on the left, it could've worked with the restricted tactics, I guess.

Plus, with Maicon not bombing forward, Leo is free to join the midfield and with Matthaus naturally shifting to the more defensive role (he is intelligent and versatile enough to do so) there won't be acres of space for Platini - even though it isn't ideal and he still has too much space.

Also, I feel that I don't rate Batigol as high as you do.

It looks like 2:1 for me, with Koscic grabbing a brace and Platini scoring an equalizer in the second time