The end of tiki-taka?

Nani Nana

Supports
Whoever won the game
Barcelona's gradual demise and the rise of pressing/gegenpressing with closer man-marking (Liverpool, Bayern, ...) makes me wonder.

Have we witnessed the end of tiki-taka at the highest level? Never did I see a team dominate as much as Barcelona a decade ago. Yet with Xavi and Iniesta's departures, Pep's failures at other clubs, I wonder whether we will see tiki-taka again at the highest level of club football.

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
Barcelona are not playing tiki-taka. Even Pep doesn’t.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
What Acrobat7 said, you guys missed the end of Tiki Taka a little bit more than half a decade ago. No one has played it at a high level in a while.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Tiki Taka exploited an old defensive system and teams that weren't prepared how to press. Now everyone can press, and the forwards coming out of youth ranks have the correct body type to run and press all day long.

Actually its funny because all the pressing has given more importance to the long ball, as we saw the other day. When you attract many pressers, the 1v1 is right there if you can hit the long ball, and Muller and Lewa were chesting down many balls in the flanks, with numeric superirority, and Barca's lack of height in fullbacks specially didn't help

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
This is one of those threads where you come in assuming it's a bump from 5 years ago or so

strongwalker

Supports
FC Bayern München
Barcelona's gradual demise and the rise of pressing/gegenpressing with closer man-marking (Liverpool, Bayern, ...) makes me wonder.

Have we witnessed the end of tiki-taka at the highest level? Never did I see a team dominate as much as Barcelona a decade ago. Yet with Xavi and Iniesta's departures, Pep's failures at other clubs, I wonder whether we will see tiki-taka again at the highest level of club football.
What Barca is playing isn't tiki taka any more. The best teams of today employ an evolution of tiki-taka, so I wouldn't say it's dead.