The enigmatic career of Nicolas Anelka

Snow

Somewhere down the lane, a licky boom boom down
Watched his doc on Netflix just now (decent watch) and searched for a thread on him. 9 pages worth of threads with Anelka in the title on this forum. Mostly just speculative chatter based on media if the doc is anything to go by.

Points to take from the doc. Be highly sceptical on non-factual reporting that make the front page. Playing for Real Madrid is ridiculous. Maybe try and compromise sometimes.

Ecstatic

Cutie patootie!
Supports
PsG
Anelka's issue was he didn't care for, or want from the game and barely applied himself. At the time he was supposed to be kicking on, he already looked like football was just a job to him. He's one of the biggest wastes of talents - in terms of not reaching the level his talent demanded - that the PL has seen. There's no physical or technical reason why he couldn't have been one of the best strikers of his generation outright - give him the desire to make the very best of himself, and he would've been.
I used to think like you and people like Arsene Wenger, but now I just believe he reached his potential and limits in terms of skills.

Sure, he could have scored more goals or have won more trophies but I am not sure he was meant to be a better footballer despite his precocity.

For example, he didn't have the potential to be a better football player than Thierry Henry even if the latter rates the former highly.

Come to think of it, I always knew it was PSG - only I saw a picture recently of Henry, Amelia and Trezeguet all wearing Monaco training gear as youngsters. Wonder where that came from now!
The picture was in Clairefontaine. By the way, Henry, Anelka, Trezeguet, Gallas, Sagnol were part of that France team (players born between 1977 and 1979) that won the Toulon tournament.

https://festival-foot-espoirs.com/festival/detail_actualite.php?id=2884

He was badly advised by his agent and those around him wanting the easy money that came from transfers. He should have been a big club player his whole career, but went to Real too early and then chose some bizarre moves.

He really should have taken more care and consideration over his career and those around him should have advised him better. He was a great player who should never have been at Fenerbache or Bolton in his mid twenties
No, his brothers did want him to stay at Arsenal instead of moving to Real and Anelka said he could not refuse the opportunity to join the greatest European club. In fact, Nicolas Anelka is a great caricature of the sign of Aries in the literature: very impatient

As the first sign in the zodiac, the presence of Aries always marks the beginning of something energetic and turbulent. They are continuously looking for dynamic, speed and competition, always being the first in everything - from work to social gatherings. Thanks to its ruling planet Mars and the fact it belongs to the element of Fire, Aries is one of the most active zodiac signs. It is in their nature to take action, sometimes before they think about it well.

Their challenges show when they get impatient, aggressive and vent anger pointing it to other people. Strong personalities born under this sign have a task to fight for their goals, embracing togetherness and teamwork through this incarnation.

Aries rules the head and leads with the head, often literally walking head first, leaning forwards for speed and focus. Its representatives are naturally brave and rarely afraid of trial and risk. They possess youthful strength and energy, regardless of their age and quickly perform any given tasks.
Didnt Scolari prefer Anelka to Drogba which caused his falling off with squad
I don't know but Anelka said the penalty he missed against MUFC hurted him badly and prevented him of really flourishing.

Didn't he celebrate a goal with a hand gesture in support of a French(?) rapper who was a racist bigot?
Edit: It was a gesture created by a French comedian and political activist that had anti-Semitic connotations.
Quenelle
Edit II: Didn't think I'd have to teach Paolo Di Canio about racist gestures. :D
Originally, it is not a racist or anti-semitic gesture.
The name quenelle comes from a dish of elongated fish balls, said to resemble a suppository. Hence, the phrase "glisser une quenelle" ('to slide a quenelle'), with a gesture evoking fisting practice, is similar to the English insults "up yours" and "up your arse/ass".
It depends on the context but Anelka said he made it for Steve Clarke, coach sacked after putting Anelka on the bench for 4 games.

The fact that he continued to score so many goals in struggling City (in 2003-2004 when their form nosedived after a decent start) and Bolton (post-Allarydyce) teams showed what a quality a player he was. I think he had a pretty good goal-scoring record against the likes of Utd, Arsenal, Liverpool etc with those clubs as well. I do wonder how differently things would have turned out had Liverpool signed him permanently in the summer of 2002.
Good post. Liverpool is very probably his biggest regret.

During his time in Madrid, I remember that there was a lot of talk about his private life, his dissatisfaction with playing for Madrid, something that generally did not happen. From what was said, he was much on his own and he seemed always upset. The best memory I have was this goal in Germany, in the semifinals.
He discovered the concept of star harassed by paparazzi in Spain at the age of 20, then had to deal with a relatively hostile dressing room (the territory of Raul), then clashed with the coach, etc. He said he should have stayed there longer. I think he was made to play in England.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Even given the chance to portray everything from his point of view (Netflix is sometimes prone to giving too much influence over the documentary narratives to their controversial characters), he comes across as an idiot.

poleglass red

That doc did him no favours, the only thing I got out of it was he was badly advised and seems like a bit of a twat. Also I liked the bit where Henry said Anelka was one of the greatest strikers of all time and kept a straight face, proof again that Henry has a sense of humour.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
He should've stayed at Arsenal longer. Real Madrid obviously a big pull but they already had Raul and Morientes who's noses were put out of joint by Anelka coming in, think there were rumours in early games of them refusing to pass the ball to him and it took him ages to score.

Mind you Arsenal probably wouldn't have signed Henry if he'd stayed so worked out very well in the long run.

He then did well at most of the clubs he played for but aside from Liverpool loan spell it was more mid table clubs. Had a fantastic few years at Chelsea after the tough settling in period which resulted in the 2008 penalty miss. He knew he wasn't going to be main man upfront with Drogba around so adapted his game very nicely to drop deep or out wide while still contributing 15-20 goals a season. Wasn't he actually premier league top scorer one season?

Salvaged his club career in the end with his Chelsea spell. Less said about his international career the better which ended with the shambles of 2010 world cup.

GuybrushThreepwood

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Anelka gained some revenge on Liverpool and Houllier for not signing him during the summer of 2002, by playing a major role in preventing them from qualifying for the Champions League the next season.

On the penultimate day of the season, West Ham beat Chelsea in the early kick-off, giving Liverpool the opportunity to pull clear of them in the race for 4th place, but Anelka scored twice to as Man City from behind to win at Anfield (they haven't won there since then). Those results meant that Chelsea and Liverpool went into that final day showdown at Stamford Bridge level on points, but Chelsea had a better goal-difference so a draw would have been good enough for them although of course Gronkjaer scored that memorable winner.

Last edited:

patty123

It's interesting to wonder when looking back if he was a victim of "rich, young, black footballer" type media bias/assassination as the likes of Sterling and Pogba in the modern era have been.
Oh stop bringing the race into it as it was his attitude that was the problem, as he was one of 3 young African French players besides the senior ones and he was the only one they had issues with.

And things like this is why. Nicolas Anelka has made the extraordinary claim that he left Arsenal back in 1999 in order to punish their fans. Even more surprisingly, he has also said that the 17 goals he scored in his final season at Highbury were scored in a spirit of vengeance against the club's supporters.

ThierryHenry14

Supports
Arsenal
Oh stop bringing the race into it as it was his attitude that was the problem, as he was one of 3 young African French players besides the senior ones and he was the only one they had issues with.

And things like this is why. Nicolas Anelka has made the extraordinary claim that he left Arsenal back in 1999 in order to punish their fans. Even more surprisingly, he has also said that the 17 goals he scored in his final season at Highbury were scored in a spirit of vengeance against the club's supporters.
He was a young boy and not mature enough back then. He probably regret his action and behavior now. In a way success came too early for him. He started for Arsenal as #9 at a very young age, won his league title and FA cup, and a move to Real Madrid for a recorded fee further inflated his ego. He got all these too easily. He never got a tough period like Henry in Juventus, let alone Jamie Vardy. He did learn his lesson after he went through City, bolton, liverpool and even in Turkey. He was alot more mature as a person when he played for Chelsea.

ti vu

I think when talking about Anelka huge talent, people often forget considering role.

What I meant is Henry is one hell of a world class player, however he is flawed. He preferred the freedom to roam, having access to central area, but he's the type that peeling away from opposition CBs rather occupying them.

Henry flaw is that he likes to drop deep to have many touches. He is dangerous even from outside the box, but in a disciplined, strong defensive team, CB's job is lessened once Henry as a sole forward was forced wide: less threat in the box. Arsenal had this issue all those year where they bemoan they didn't have a partner for Henry. Their fans, and even papers had to point out Arsenal might make wonderful goal from out wide, but easy goals from tap in was missed because they had nobody in the box.

Many coaches who have options in the team would just shift Henry out wide. They need a central forward who occupying opposition CBs, the discipline of a CF. Pep despite wanted to rid Eto'o, would still prefer Eto'o as CF over Henry. In direct comparison, Henry would be considered a better player than Eto'o and is as productive, and even having more tools.

Henry got subbed at half time after scoring goal but disobeyed Pep's game plan:

Eto'o ain't expected to stick between the CBs all the time either, recalling the the painful memory of his goal in Rome against us. The point being CF would play with opposition CBs mind all the time. CF stays central to receive ball to shoot, or to act as hub to lay off, or simply a decoy. CF moving wide from central position, should CB following him or leave him be. Great CF make CB think non stop.

Anelka fills that CF naturally perfectly just like Eto'o. At young age, Anelka was already at top level for a CF, with room to spare for growth. He may not be as explosive as Henry out wide, but he's capable of that Eto'o Rome move on more consistent basis.

People may wonder about false 9 when we bring up the topic of #9 and Henry habit of dropping deep. There has been this misunderstanding that false 9 is a CF dropping deep. Martial, Benzema, Firmino , Cavani even referred as false 9, which can't be more wrong. These guys are always forwards. False 9 is a system with no CF. So the goal scorers main starting positions can be wide forwards, no 10, central midfielders... The wide forwards role would be strict about holding position wide until final third according to Pep's philosophy. Same about no 10, midfielders. In final third, anyone can arrive in scoring position/ CF area. Henry likes to go wide, or drop deep, has play making ability also. However, he likes to roam, and he can't stick in central midfield forever to be a no 10, or midfielder; so to maintain a discipline to the system, Henry is the type that needs to be instructed to solely keep wide forward position in Pep team.

ROFLUTION

Zlatan has scored way more bangers, but Anelka unlike Zlatan, often showed up in big games than not though.
I dont know man, Zlatan's one man show against England is probably one of the wildest performances I've seen. Might not be many of them, but that was just on another planet

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I dont know man, Zlatan's one man show against England is probably one of the wildest performances I've seen. Might not be many of them, but that was just on another planet
But wasn't that a friendly?

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
Originally, it is not a racist or anti-semitic gesture.

It depends on the context but Anelka said he made it for Steve Clarke, coach sacked after putting Anelka on the bench for 4 games.
You're giving him too much credit (or too big a benefit of the doubt), it's pretty obvious the cretin did it in relation to Dieudonné.

jem

Even given the chance to portray everything from his point of view (Netflix is sometimes prone to giving too much influence over the documentary narratives to their controversial characters), he comes across as an idiot.
I don’t think he comes across as an idiot at all. Very blunt and proud but also quite self-critical and eloquent.

Suedesi

Enjoyed the Netflix show, it was quite interesting.

L'Equipe came out looking like scumbags. As most of the press/paparazzi in Spain to be honest.

Oh well, seems like he's done for himself and seems at peace raising his family - definitely respect that.

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
That documentary fails so badly in trying to portray him as misunderstood. Most of the things that happened to him happened as a result of his own doing (ego etc.)
Not sure whether its the shit frame only "glasses" or his sons room with Supreme and LV plastered all over the wall as some form of artwork, you cant help but not give a feck.

Dancfc

Supports
Chelsea

L'Equipe came out looking like scumbags. As most of the press/paparazzi in Spain to be honest.

Oh well, seems like he's done for himself and seems at peace raising his family - definitely respect that.
Yeah tricking him into playing a computer game on the guise of it being an olive branch was next level snake behaviour.

::sonny::

Agreed